Rod Liddle article in Sunday Times today (1 Viewer)

Otis

I wouldn't want them to go bust Otis, i would like them to go back from whence they came though, then we would see how many of their new fans would be prepared to travel 100 miles each way to watch them play, a situation they seem quite happy to have bestowed upon their Wycombe based support.
Agree.

I just want to see them gone from our shores.

lifeskyblue

For a start the article doesn’t mention the judicial reviews...where the merits or otherwise of the case are tested in a court of law.
Otherwise I thought it a decent piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Otis

For a start the article doesn’t mention the judicial reviews...where the merits or otherwise of the case are tested in a court of law.

Agree.

chiefdave

Very poor thinking that if you ask me.

How is it the genuine Wasps fans fault and why do they deserve to lose their club?
When they moved here part of the justification was the claim that rugby fans aren’t attached to clubs the way football fans are and any who couldn’t travel would just go and watch another team. Was that a convenient lie?

chiefdave

And what about the honest, true and genuine Wasps fans?
How many honest, true and genuine Wasps fans have let it be known to their club they don’t agree with us bring kicked out?

The overwhelming majority of comments I have seen have no issue with it, many are celebrating it.

Otis

When they moved here part of the justification was the claim that rugby fans aren’t attached to clubs the way football fans are and any who couldn’t travel would just go and watch another team. Was that a convenient lie?
What has that got to do with genuine Wasps fans? Do they deserve to lose their club?

better days

Tbh Liddle says the problems are myriad and complex
My take on the article is that his underlying point is that the football team are being forced out and will have to build another stadium in Coventry
But the rugby club are in such dire straits that they may themselves go out of business leaving an empty Rocoh

Otis

How many honest, true and genuine Wasps fans have let it be known to their club they don’t agree with us bring kicked out?

The overwhelming majority of comments I have seen have no issue with it, many are celebrating it.
How many Wasps fans are there on that forum?

I have looked and it is not many.

What about the City fans on the Facebook forum. Maybe we should all listen to them.

Most fans are not on sports forums.

ccfcway

Great article.

Problem we may have is, even If wasps go bust, then what. Surely the council will go looking elsewhere again to fill the Ricoh ?

ccfc92

This seems to me a bit harsh. Without the intervention of the hedge fund monkeys, Coventry City would not exist at all and SISU have put an awful lot of money into the club, without seeing very much in the way of a return.

Again one is tempted to ask why they have done this, but as they are all financial experts I suppose they must know what they are doing.

League One is rapidly becoming a sanctum of the lost and the dispossessed, given the travails of poor Bolton Wanderers.

There was a time, fairly recently, when Coventry City had the longest unbroken spell in the top tier of any club, Arsenal and Everton excepted — 34 years of pleasant over-achievement that included a memorable FA Cup final win over Tottenham Hotspur in 1987, participation in the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup and a two-legged tie against Bayern Munich, and a top-six finish. And that delightful goal off a free kick scored by Ernie Hunt after Willie Carr’s illegal flick-up, which we all tried to copy in the playground.

Good article, but the points I have highlighted I think are bit off the mark. The "over achieving" is also a bit of a odd comment for a "pro ccfc" article.

Otis

Great article.

Problem we may have is, even If wasps go bust, then what. Surely the council will go looking elsewhere again ?
They will, UNLESS we have a change of ownership.

Too many bridges have been burned now between the council and Sisu.

Council should still do their civic duty though in terms of us finding a new stadium site, if that was ever to happen.

ccfc92

Great article.

Problem we may have is, even If wasps go bust, then what. Surely the council will go looking elsewhere again to fill the Ricoh ?

To who though, realistically? Unless more out of towners are sniffing around...

ccfcway

They will, UNLESS we have a change of ownership.

Too many bridges have been burned now between the council and Sisu.

Council should still do their civic duty though in terms of us finding a new stadium site, if that was ever to happen.

agree with both of those points. SISU need to start ramping up the new stadium push.

Rodders1

Tbh Liddle says the problems are myriad and complex
My take on the article is that his underlying point is that the football team are being forced out and will have to build another stadium in Coventry
But the rugby club are in such dire straits that they may themselves go out of business leaving an empty Rocoh
Would be quite funny - the Council wondering what to do with their big white elephant

Johnnythespider

Great article.

Do you think if Wasps were to go pop the council would
A. Dare to go down the road of bringing in another franchise with all that could entail.
B. Be allowed to bring in another franchise by the fans of the football club.
I think it would be political suicide as we would be ready for it this time.

Nick

Administrator
Do you think if Wasps were to go pop the council would
A. Dare to go down the road of bringing in another franchise with all that could entail.
B. Be allowed to bring in another franchise by the fans of the football club.
I think it would be political suicide as we would be ready for it this time.
Personally I think the council could get away with either if they wanted to.

lifeskyblue

They might be tempted to bring in an out of town football club currently playing at St. Andrews...or maybe not!

Liquid Gold

I don’t think we’re going to build a new stadium but if we did and London’s wasps went bust leaving the Ricoh empty it would serve CCC right.

SBAndy

Think this presents the ‘other’ side to the story very well. Not balanced by any means, mind.

Users who are viewing this thread