Robins Rating.......Fans View ? (1 Viewer)

davebart

just bringing in DMcG was a job well done.

Hopefully it will give him time to work with the team and get them playing to a level where losing DMcG won't be the disaster it might appear.

stupot07

just bringing in DMcG was a job well done.

Hopefully it will give him time to work with the team and get them playing to a level where losing DMcG won't be the disaster it might appear.

He didn't bring in DMcG, Shaw did...

Grendel

Good manager.

However they said they wanted someone who would take this lot including staff and go for the play offs.

He was not this man.

He is very much his own man and we are back a year.

It should have been someone who genuinely wanted to do it eith these players. It should have happened a week after they sacked thorn too quickly

No manager on earth could get promotion with this squad. Mid Table would be an over achievement. The permanant players in the sqaud are very poor even for this level.

Ashdown

I've seen nothing to excite from Robins at all. We've hardly changed that much and without McGoldrick as someone else says where would we be now. I don't go with his one man up front bullshit either. Time will tell but, I suppose beggars can't be choosers either can they. A combination of a lack of money and tactical nous will lead to a long period of stagnation methinks.

Brighton Sky Blue

No manager on earth could get promotion with this squad. Mid Table would be an over achievement. The permanant players in the sqaud are very poor even for this level.

This is as close you will ever get to saying Fergie couldn't do any better ;)

stupot07

Just thought I would have a look at what Bournemouth have since Eddie Howe went back.

They were 21st PLD 11, W1 D5 L5 GF 12 GA21 PTS 8 (we were actually above them on 10 points)

Since Howe went back they have W4 D1 scoring 16 goals in 5 games, beating the league leaders in the process.

League -
L.Orient H 2-0 W
Tranmere H 3-1 W
Notts county A 3-3 D
Carlisle A 2-4 W

Cup
dagenham and Redbridge H 4 - 0 W

Is Robins too negative?

CarpyCov84

So for a good manager to be good it has to be instant ? Agree with some points here but he needs time surely January is his first Transfer window and I think it wil give us more of an indication to where we are gonna be if it does not go well for January and the rest of the season no doubt we will have a new man here in the summer as usual with Sisu the circus

fernandopartridge

So for a good manager to be good it has to be instant ? Agree with some points here but he needs time surely January is his first Transfer window and I think it wil give us more of an indication to where we are gonna be if it does not go well for January and the rest of the season no doubt we will have a new man here in the summer as usual with Sisu the circus

Considering we've apparently got a decent squad and he brought in 5 players of his own, the lack of real change us is worrying.

How has Eddie Howe made such an impact at Bournemouth?

Why hasn't Robins?

The jury is still well and truly out. I don't give two fucks what he says in interviews, all that matters is the evidence on the pitch. It has been poor so far.

dongonzalos

Yes I am sure every manager and chairman in this division would agree with you and not swap for this squad under any circumstances.......laughable.

As BSB joked this is the same as saying Fergie, the special one etc could not achieve with this lot. They are managers in this world

skyblueman

It should be very clear to all by now that with the exception of a couple of players the squad is just basically very poor - attitude, fitness, ability - in that order

MR has a long way to go to get CCFC out of the abyss and it won't be with this squad - they have had enough chances now and frankly they are an embarrassment not just to our club but to professional football in general

We are lucky to have MR and he needs to be given time and he needs to be given backing by Fisher & Waggot - if this relationship breaks down we have really had it IMO

Grendel

Yes I am sure every manager and chairman in this division would agree with you and not swap for this squad under any circumstances.......laughable.

As BSB joked this is the same as saying Fergie, the special one etc could not achieve with this lot. They are managers in this world

They clearly wouldn't have. Barton was available - hardly a queue for him, Elliot the same, Jennings on trial for a month here - no one else in England interested. The french guys well a non-league team is.

As for the players we had last season given SISU's record of selling also we can assume no one is interested.

Just because we are Coventry and have a big squad that does not suggest quality. Just been on the phone to a Palace fan - asked him to name players in our squad - he came back with McGoldrick and McSheffrey. Told him some of our signings - never heard of them.

So no the top teams wouldn't swap the players -- why on earth would they?

Grendel

Considering we've apparently got a decent squad and he brought in 5 players of his own, the lack of real change us is worrying.

How has Eddie Howe made such an impact at Bournemouth?

Why hasn't Robins?

The jury is still well and truly out. I don't give two fucks what he says in interviews, all that matters is the evidence on the pitch. It has been poor so far.

We haven't got a decent squad. Results since he has been here are about where we are.

Negative comments regarding the manager is ludicrous considering the tolerance and rope given to his predecessor.

fernandopartridge

We haven't got a decent squad. Results since he has been here are about where we are.

Negative comments regarding the manager is ludicrous considering the tolerance and rope given to his predecessor.

That's why I've said 'apparently'. I think the squad is better than its position nevertheless.

I called for Thorn to be sacked a few games into last season, so fuck knows what you're on about.

aodea

I think he has started fairly well. results have improved and he is defenitly finiding a set of players he trusts. there has not been a huge amount of changes in games but he must feel that the players to come in would weaken the sside or not have the commitment. He needs to be his own man. no manager in football makes every decsion perfectly in a way that every fan will agree. I think while yeah we are not playing brillant football we seem mopre organised and harder to beat. I am very happy to give him time.

His hands are tied in terms of what he has. The players there are from the previous regiem some he will rate some he wont. The lads that he signed on loan aint all been hits but loan signings are very much hit and miss. As fans we need to realise that we have no god given right that we shud think we are better than all the clubs in this divsion. i certainly think that the losing culture that was there is beginibng to change a bit and the players seem to be reacting positivly.

He told Malaga that he is not needed but said he would find him a club which he has and that its not outside realms that he will play for coventry again. i like that. he is trying to get the side to realise that just because they are at CCFC in leauge one they have no right to win games without putting in the work. when you work hard you will get results.

When january comes he will have worked with the squad for a decent amount of time and will look to change things again when he is better aware of what players offer him and areas he is short. he seems to me like an honest hard working manager that can be ruthless when needed sp for me im delighted to have him.

fernandopartridge

I think he has started fairly well. results have improved and he is defenitly finiding a set of players he trusts. there has not been a huge amount of changes in games but he must feel that the players to come in would weaken the sside or not have the commitment. He needs to be his own man. no manager in football makes every decsion perfectly in a way that every fan will agree. I think while yeah we are not playing brillant football we seem mopre organised and harder to beat. I am very happy to give him time.

His hands are tied in terms of what he has. The players there are from the previous regiem some he will rate some he wont. The lads that he signed on loan aint all been hits but loan signings are very much hit and miss. As fans we need to realise that we have no god given right that we shud think we are better than all the clubs in this divsion. i certainly think that the losing culture that was there is beginibng to change a bit and the players seem to be reacting positivly.

He told Malaga that he is not needed but said he would find him a club which he has and that its not outside realms that he will play for coventry again. i like that. he is trying to get the side to realise that just because they are at CCFC in leauge one they have no right to win games without putting in the work. when you work hard you will get results.

When january comes he will have worked with the squad for a decent amount of time and will look to change things again when he is better aware of what players offer him and areas he is short. he seems to me like an honest hard working manager that can be ruthless when needed sp for me im delighted to have him.

His hands aren't tied. He brought in 5 players straight away.

Brighton Sky Blue

They clearly wouldn't have. Barton was available - hardly a queue for him, Elliot the same, Jennings on trial for a month here - no one else in England interested. The french guys well a non-league team is.

As for the players we had last season given SISU's record of selling also we can assume no one is interested.

Just because we are Coventry and have a big squad that does not suggest quality. Just been on the phone to a Palace fan - asked him to name players in our squad - he came back with McGoldrick and McSheffrey. Told him some of our signings - never heard of them.

So no the top teams wouldn't swap the players -- why on earth would they?

I can only assume that will happen when Thorn takes the helm at Old Trafford. In years gone by it'll be 'Well Thorn couldn't do any better with this squad'.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Think he has done ok ........... in terms of the squad he has i think some on here are blinded by its size as to its quality. We might have 37 players but there are few in that squad that stand out even at this level. I think it is becoming obvious just what a mess the squad was in under previous manager(s) and that is going to take time to change.

You wont change attitudes or thoughts in a few days. You cant change poor levels of fitness and application in a few days either. But you have to start with that irrespective of results. Those are basic building blocks. It is going to take MR months to make real inroads into that. That is how bad things had become....... that is the shambles others had built before him

Even this morning on CWR MR was saying that the effort quality etc had to be there in training as well as matches......... that "players could not come in and go through the motions like they used to" ........ says exactly what many of us thought.

I think we have taken steps forward under MR. Football is a results business and we do get some wins ..... what is it 4 wins 2 draws out of last 8 matches ? not earth shattering but a definite improvement. We even win away from home. We are a League 1 team with pretty much League 1 players why expect us to stand out ? On top of that we were lacking fitness and attitude that many other teams at our level already had.

It is easy to ignore just how low in confidence this team had become, how fragile the belief was. Would love to see Brasilian style football (fantasy probably) but right now i want to see us safely higher up the table and winning ugly or against the run of play is a valuable part of that. There is at least a developing expectation of winning, which after the last manager is certainly an improvement. We are playing catch in terms of basic requirements for a team (fitness attitude application confidence belief)compared to other teams.

He still has to address things like lack of pace, the strike force, the squad size and balance, left back, creative midfield, leadership, etc

There was and there still is a hell of a lot for MR to sort out................ but at least it is now started to be sorted out

got to give him time before making judgement

Last edited:

skybluelee

Think he has done ok ........... in terms of the squad he has i think some on here are blinded by its size as to its quality. We might have 37 players but there are few in that squad that stand out even at this level. I think it is becoming obvious just what a mess the squad was in under previous manager(s) and that is going to take time to change.

You wont change attitudes or thoughts in a few days. You cant change poor levels of fitness and application in a few days either. But you have to start with that irrespective of results. Those are basic building blocks. It is going to take MR months to make real inroads into that. That is how bad things had become....... that is the shambles others had built before him

Even this morning on CWR MR was saying that the effort quality etc had to be there in training as well as matches......... that "players could not come in and go through the motions like they used to" ........ says exactly what many of us thought.

I think we have taken steps forward under MR. Football is a results business and we do get some wins ..... what is it 4 wins 2 draws out of last 8 matches ? not earth shattering but a definite improvement. We even win away from home. We are a League 1 team with pretty much League 1 players why expect us to stand out ? On top of that we were lacking fitness and attitude that many other teams at our level already had.

It is easy to ignore just how low in confidence this team had become, how fragile the belief was. Would love to see Brasilian style football (fantasy probably) but right now i want to see us safely higher up the table and winning ugly or against the run of play is a valuable part of that. There is at least a developing expectation of winning, which after the last manager is certainly an improvement. We are playing catch in terms of basic requirements for a team (fitness attitude application confidence belief)compared to other teams.

He still has to address things like lack of pace, the strike force, the squad size and balance, left back, creative midfield, leadership, etc

There was and there still is a hell of a lot for MR to sort out................ but at least it is now started being sorted out

got to give him time before making judgement

Even better than that, 5-2-2 from the last 9.

wingy

Seems like he's judging us,Several remarks now regarding the background of empty seats,the lack of atmosphere ,in a qualified manner .repeating the team need to lift the crowd ETC ,I think he's right ,but I think we should try a lot harder than we do in lifing the team

skybluedaze

You're right, it's far too early to judge. He's doing ok considering though. I can't see Cov in bottom four come Jan. Slow progress but better than dropping another division.

aodea

His hands aren't tied. He brought in 5 players straight away.

I agree that he brought in lads but think in terms of signing lads he has a lot of hard times ahead. He wont be able to sign permenant players without getting rid and not many of our players will be wanted buy other sides especially for a fee. He can bring in plenty of short term loans but they are to fill holes and thats what i mean by hands tied. Great having Moussa nad Bialey etc but they will not be here forever and in will come the lads we actualluy own.

CCFCSteve

Even better than that, 5-2-2 from the last 9.

You cant knock that record. He has appeared to be a bit negative, however, so did Di Matteo at Chelsea last season, their a totally different side now (having said that he did have a few million quid at his disposal in the summer !). The reasons were the same though, making the best of a difficult situation, with a team/squad of someone elses players.

Given time I think he'll do a good job.

Moff

In my humble opinion he needs time, regardless of what people think.

I wouldnt judge him until the transfer window ends in Jan 2014, as this gives him time to assemble his own team in his own style, after a complete pre season. Hopefully then the team might have better prospects than it does now.

I dont understand those that are underwhelmed by him now, as he seems to be steadying the team, getting some results and working on the teams cohesion and fitness, after 15 months of poor results he also needs time to change the mindset at the club, and i think he is slowly working on that as well.

fernandopartridge

I agree that he brought in lads but think in terms of signing lads he has a lot of hard times ahead. He wont be able to sign permenant players without getting rid and not many of our players will be wanted buy other sides especially for a fee. He can bring in plenty of short term loans but they are to fill holes and thats what i mean by hands tied. Great having Moussa nad Bialey etc but they will not be here forever and in will come the lads we actualluy own.

I don't see anything great about Moussa yet tbh

wingy

I wouldnt judge him until the transfer window ends in Jan 2014, as this gives him time to assemble his own team in his own style, after a complete pre season. Hopefully then the team might have better prospects than it does now.

I dont understand those that are underwhelmed by him now, as he seems to be steadying the team, getting some results and working on the teams cohesion and fitness, after 15 months of poor results he also needs time to change the mindset at the club, and i think he is slowly working on that as well.

I agree Moff,Its the comments from above about failure and mediocrity that bother me .When he was appointed I was half tempted to post a thread re;Who's first out ,MR or TF.

skyblueman

I think he needs 18 months in the job before we can really judge him - that's how big a hole we are in and he will need the rest of this season and next summer to assemble HIS squad - even then he will need some sensible support from Fisher & Waggot - I just hope he is given the time he undoubtedly needs

Sorry just re-read that - agreed Moff thought you said Jan 2013 there

dongonzalos

Originally Posted by Grendel: They clearly wouldn't have. Barton was available - hardly a queue for him, Elliot the same, Jennings on trial for a month here - no one else in England interested. The french guys well a non-league team is.

Just because we are Coventry and have a big squad that does not suggest quality. Just been on the phone to a Palace fan -asked him to name players in our squad - he came back with McGoldrick and McSheffrey. Told him some of our signings -never heard of them.

So no the top teams wouldn't swap the players -- why on earth would they?I can only assume that will happen when Thorn takes the helm at Old Trafford. In years gone by it'll be 'Well Thorn couldn't do any better with this squad'.

Well I must say I am just relieved that we have the only manager on this planet who can get a squad this shocking to beat Crawley (4th in the table). 3-1.

Alternativey maybe the squad isn't actually as bad as some are making out.

They have now drew with Swindon, Sheff Utd and beat Crawley.

Take away that 5 match run under RS and MR's first game. Then they have lost two matches, 2-1 to Notts County the other 2-1 by a last minute penalty to Brentford.

Otis

Me neither. He's very average in central midfield.

Strange isn't it.

Trevor Peake was on CWR last night and was saying what a good player Moussa was at Leshtur.

And as for Robins, he now has a win ratio of 50%! Early days of course, but long may it continue.

Users who are viewing this thread