Robins on 5 Live (1 Viewer)

Astute

I am very much team Robins, but to qualify these points, in reality it was getting frustrating because the formation was not working at all. He wasn't changing things and the in-game tactics and substitutions were pretty poor. In many cases they cost us. There were some concerns that were genuine, and that we might have had a bit of a hangover from Wembley. This was as well as a few trolls calling for taxis which I think ends up getting a lot of focus, but most people did accept the team needed time to gel. It probably just took a bit longer than we thought and that caused some panic in the end.

He got a lot of credit on changing the formation, but that was something that was quite a slow reaction in my opinion. There were a few of us on here calling for it well before the time it came. Perhaps I'm being a bit picky, as we're well on an upward trajectory now. If we are in the Championship next season however, I would like to see a quicker start. Hopefully now the core of the team is established that can be the case.
On an upwards trajectory now?

We've been on an upwards trajectory since he became manager. It's only those who don't know their arse from their elbow that think differently.

Legia Sky Blue

The difference between the sales of Gyokores and Hamer, was that clearly right from the off Gyokores had set his sights on moving to Lisbon. That posed a few problems for DK who I'm sure would have liked a bidding war with a few PL clubs to increase his transfer fee. Fair do's to DK though, as he pushed it as far as he could in order to get as good a fee for Vik as possible.

With Hamer however, there was never a front running club. Early on in the transfer window I remember stories of Fulham and Luton offering a relative pittance for him. As we have subsequently found out, others that might have been interested (Wolves/ Everton/ Forest) were hamstrung by FFP considerations. As the season approached and the deadline neared it was likely though that one of the lower PL clubs would come in for him, which was made even more likely when he made a pretty impressive performance at Leicester in our first game back. That club turned out to be Sheff U, but once again fair play to DK for negotiating a fee most of us thought we would be unlikely to receive.

Some of the stick Hamer has had about being disingenuous about his intentions have been unfair, just as they currently are with O'Hare. He clearly enjoyed his time playing for us and part of him probably didn't want to leave, just as I imagine O'Hare is currently feeling, but this is their livelihood and if the chance comes to play a level higher, and earn considerably more money in the process then that is what they really have to do.

fernandopartridge

Thing I find strange is that Hamer telling him he wanted to leave straight away, how come we didn't have the irons in the fire for his replacement as we must have known it was coming?

I know deals can end up not going through for a variety of reasons, but to end up taking a punt on a loan of Ayari as a replacement seems pretty poor if we knew he was going all along.
Because it takes more than a player just saying he wants to go

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Offhegoes

Probably because Hamer went late on, so therefore targets had gone elsewhere / didn't want to move at that point / felt unwanted because it looked like a last gasp replacement.
Yep, They were probably hoping he'd go early in in the close season, so they had the finance to bring in the replacement. Hamer (or the club) obviously turned down offers before that. We did get a good fee in the end but it messed up the replacements that were lined up.
Hamer telling Robins he wanted to leave on the coach home after the play off final is disappointing. Modern day players though..

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

On an upwards trajectory now?

We've been on an upwards trajectory since he became manager. It's only those who don't know their arse from their elbow that think differently.

Do you have a therapist? It might be worth going to see one because you take a large amount of posts on here the wrong way and try to kick off arguments over nothing.

My reference was an upwards trajectory results-wise this season. Not his managerial tenure.

clint van damme

“We knew they were leaving on the coach”
“Pigs head”

Why are we taking what he says so literally like a toddler listening to mummy and daddy, it was a bit of a chat answering a few questions.

Great interview though.

Technically he was correct.
Pigs heads were thrown on to the pitch, little plastic ones attached to little plastic pigs bodies.

mmttww

Five mins in. "Time to gel" mentioned twice...

Fire Explosion GIF

joemercersaces

A big point of difference between Jimmy Hill and Mark Robins is that Jimmy had the backing of a very ambitious chairman in Derrick Robins (no relation). By the standards of the time Derrick Robins was also very wealthy, and prepared to put his money where his mouth was. Mark had, for the most part, SISU, and with friends like them he didn’t need any enemies.

Astute

Do you have a therapist? It might be worth going to see one because you take a large amount of posts on here the wrong way and try to kick off arguments over nothing.

My reference was an upwards trajectory results-wise this season. Not his managerial tenure.
Ah so you mean we're finally on an upwards trajectory this season. That happened once the team started to gel after about 12 games. That was when we were near the bottom. It isn't when like just now as you say when we're already in the top 6 and putting a gap between us and those below us.

After an argument? I've said the same all season. I call it a debate. I counted it as a debate even when hardly anyone agreed with me. I thought it was the reason we're on here.

Let me guess. If you have a different view to others it's a debate. If others have a different view to you its an argument.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Ah so you mean we're finally on an upwards trajectory this season. That happened once the team started to gel after about 12 games. That was when we were near the bottom. It isn't when like just now as you say when we're already in the top 6 and putting a gap between us and those below us.

After an argument? I've said the same all season. I call it a debate. I counted it as a debate even when hardly anyone agreed with me. I thought it was the reason we're on here.

Let me guess. If you have a different view to others it's a debate. If others have a different view to you its an argument.

Yes exactly. The whole club has been going in an upwards direction since Robins came back generally speaking. I was referring to the beginning of this season when the results were poor. We had to completely rebuild really, as well as put Wembley behind us. I think most accept that needed some time.

I was calling you out on the arguing because it feels like sometimes you see something you don't agree with and then form a fight without really digesting the whole thing. It seems our opinion on this is largely the same.

Astute

Yes exactly. The whole club has been going in an upwards direction since Robins came back generally speaking. I was referring to the beginning of this season when the results were poor. We had to completely rebuild really, as well as put Wembley behind us. I think most accept that needed some time.

I was calling you out on the arguing because it feels like sometimes you see something you don't agree with and then form a fight without really digesting the whole thing. It seems our opinion on this is largely the same.
But you said finally on an upwards trajectory. When I said we've been on it for years you then said this season. I then pointed out we've been on an upwards trajectory for most of the season. Now you say you meant most of the season and not finally as you said.

Is it really me who is after an argument or is it you who is trying to cover up what you have said?

I don't care. I'm not after an argument but I will always point out when I don't understand what someone is saying or when they backtrack. To me this nothing but a backtrack. Or please explain why you said finally when we've been on an upwards trajectory when we've been on one for over half of the season so far.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

But you said finally on an upwards trajectory. When I said we've been on it for years you then said this season. I then pointed out we've been on an upwards trajectory for most of the season. Now you say you meant most of the season and not finally as you said.

Is it really me who is after an argument or is it you who is trying to cover up what you have said?

I don't care. I'm not after an argument but I will always point out when I don't understand what someone is saying or when they backtrack. To me this nothing but a backtrack. Or please explain why you said finally when we've been on an upwards trajectory when we've been on one for over half of the season so far.

No, it's definitely you looking for an argument I'm afraid.

My comments regarding upward trajectory immediately followed talk of changing formation, and were qualified afterwards by saying next season if we are still in the Championship hopefully we can start quicker. It had nothing to do with Robins' overall managerial tenure or the clubs overall direction. It was firmly on results at the beginning of this season.

You're putting words in people's mouths to have an imaginary fight. You keep doing it so I'll leave you to entertain yourself.

Brighton Sky Blue

But the deal wasn't received/agreed until very late, we probably did try to get perms done but the didn't come off.

I'm glad we didn't get desperate and throw money at something just to get someone in.

They clearly thought Ayari was going to be better than he was.
Lewis O'Brien was available on loan if we'd offered to put up more wages than Boro. Going for Ayari instead seemed odd

Astute

No, it's definitely you looking for an argument I'm afraid.

My comments regarding upward trajectory immediately followed talk of changing formation, and were qualified afterwards by saying next season if we are still in the Championship hopefully we can start quicker. It had nothing to do with Robins' overall managerial tenure or the clubs overall direction. It was firmly on results at the beginning of this season.

You're putting words in people's mouths to have an imaginary fight. You keep doing it so I'll leave you to entertain yourself.
Fuck me you're changing what you say yet again. Glad you've said no more replies. Putting words into your mouth? The normal reply to being shown to be wrong yet again.

Astute

Lewis O'Brien was available on loan if we'd offered to put up more wages than Boro. Going for Ayari instead seemed odd
If Ayari showed his promise he would have been a good loan. If O'Brien was shown to be shite it would have been seen as a big waste of money.

You never know how a new player will fit in. I'm happy we're not trying to outbid other sides on unknown quality at this level.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I put him on ignore yesterday . Just looking for arguments constantly. Even at 2am when I'd long gone to sleep like most people.

Brighton Sky Blue

I get the impression there’s a lot of respect in the camp and Robins doesn’t stand in someone’s way when progressing their career. I’d imagine that sort of climate makes it easy for players to be honest with the manager.
He's said before that basically if the club outgrows the player, they'll be moved on and if the player outgrows the club he won't be denied a move. Which is pretty consistent with what we've seen

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Because we never had an acceptable offer for Hamer and when we finally did it was too late to get a replacement over the line perhaps?

Or Doug King was holding out for a bigger fee and then at the last minute accepted the Sheffield United offer.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I would hope we may go up in the next 3 year but if we don't and we are constantly knocking on the promotion door, playing good football with a solid fan base and an owner who engaged with the management and supporters that will be something I could only have dreamed of 5 years ago.

skybluericoh

I would hope we may go up in the next 3 year but if we don't and we are constantly knocking on the promotion door, playing good football with a solid fan base and an owner who engaged with the management and supporters that will be something I could only have dreamed of 5 years ago.
5 years? Although MR was working miracles I say 13 months ago, or whenever SISU went

CCFC88

He was, and he's been injured for the majority of the time he's been there, wonder if boro reckon they have got their moneys worth.

If we'd have wasted more than we can afford on a loan who went on to start 4 games in 5 months I'd suggest that goes against what we are trying to build here

Users who are viewing this thread