Robins feeling the pressure? (1 Viewer)

SkyblueBri

I think the posters are expecting another promotion. We have moved up into a higher league with teams with a massive budget above ours. Plus experienced journey men.
13th yes the team are hit and miss but ffs we all hail a young team but we are a team in progres. Not all signings pay off we are unfortunately in the realms of limited signings.
Get real and lower your expectations and remember our budget compared to the hi flyers.
True but we did not go for limited signings, MR decided to break up the promotion squad and hence lost all momentum in Div 1. Then we went out and purchased whoever was availble without seeming to have a planned formation of how we were going to use them !

I wonder what would have happened if we had just replaced McNulty and went for cover on Doyle

Captain Dart

mark_ccfc

I think Robins has done well so far. We had a mediocre run of form at the beginning of the season, then had a good run followed by a run of poor form, leaving us mid table. Considering the loss of a decent striker I think we have done alright. He deserves a chance to put things right in January.

Nick

Administrator
I think Robins has done well so far. We had a mediocre run of form at the beginning of the season, then had a good run followed by a run of poor form, leaving us mid table. Considering the loss of a decent striker I think we have done alright. He deserves a chance to put things right in January.

Have we?

No game management going on, random choices.

steve82

True but we did not go for limited signings, MR decided to break up the promotion squad and hence lost all momentum in Div 1. Then we went out and purchased whoever was availble without seeming to have a planned formation of how we were going to use them !

I wonder what would have happened if we had just replaced McNulty and went for cover on Doyle

What do you feel he did and set out to break up?

It’s clear by recruitment and the playing style in August he set out to play a 4231 hence the signings of Hiwula and Chaplin with Bakayoko to develop into this fluid style with the completion of the JCH deal.

He left slim room to manoeuvre naturally to a 442 shape but has Thomas who could do both 442/4231 formations and likely hoped Hiwula and Shipley could hold the left wing berth till JJ was back up to speed. While using Biamou as a target man instead of JCH who he’s tasked with converting to a big man up top.

Injuries and confidence more recently are what’s really hampered us and the lack of appreciation to MR more conservative defensive tactics is now tipping the balance now we’re shipping more goals than scoring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
Which then begs the question what the point in signing Hiwula was to play him Left Midfield? Signing JCH when he doesn't really fit at all. Chaplin signed to seemingly play attacking midfield.

steve82

Have we?

No game management going on, random choices.

I think all choices could be classed as random if we don’t agree with the choice he’s made.
It’s a funny game.

steve82

Which then begs the question what the point in signing Hiwula was to play him Left Midfield? Signing JCH when he doesn't really fit at all. Chaplin signed to seemingly play attacking midfield.

With Hiwula I think he’s only there as it’s him or Shipley since the change from the initial 4231, on paper he’s pace and ability to bring the ball but he cannot cope with the defensive aspect of the game and gets caught endless times back to goal in our own half.

JCH was a deal agreed in January as Rotherham wanted to sell at that point I believe.

I think personally he’s committed to playing his preferred 4231 system over the summers, where we just need to keep it simple and recruit for a 442.

steve82

Mark Robins is likely experiencing the worst spell as a manager of his career currently after possibly the best.

Stats say he’s overseen

No wins in 8 competitive games
No league win in 6 games
3 consecutive defeats (last 2 were slightly unfortunate)
2 points from a possible 18
6 scored 4 in the league.
13 goals conceded overall 10 in the league

All after being unbeaten in 6 competitive games
5 consecutive league wins
Maximum points from 5 league games
Scoring 12 goals in 6 games, 11 league goals
6 goals conceded, 5 league goals.
Manager of the month for October.

Some luck and patience is required, no need to jump the gun on anything just yet and the opportunity to find solutions and see the rough period out.

SkyBlueCRJ

On paper we're about where we should be but that doesn't excuse the countless mistakes Robins has made this season I'm afraid. Crap recruitment, old fashioned tactics and his stubbornness in trying to fit square pegs into round holes is starting to completely derail our season.

Last edited by a moderator:

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Mark Robins is likely experiencing the worst spell as a manager of his career currently after possibly the best.

Stats say he’s overseen

No wins in 8 competitive games
No league win in 6 games
3 consecutive defeats (last 2 were slightly unfortunate)
2 points from a possible 18
6 scored 4 in the league.
13 goals conceded overall 10 in the league

All after being unbeaten in 6 competitive games
5 consecutive league wins
Maximum points from 5 league games
Scoring 12 goals in 6 games, 11 league goals
6 goals conceded, 5 league goals.
Manager of the month for October.

Some luck and patience is required, no need to jump the gun on anything just yet and the opportunity to find solutions and see the rough period out.

Confused by (last 2 were slightly unfortunate) line

Ashdown

I don't think he should be sacked, that's all a bit drastic right now but if we continue to lose the next 4/5 matches and we need to take some corrective action in late January you would have to wonder whether Robins should be in charge of spending any transfer fund in view of his recent acquisitions ?!

Magwitch

Don’t think MR broke up the promotion team to be fair McNulty wanted away all the others who left where expendable and replaced.

steve82

Confused by (last 2 were slightly unfortunate) line

It was reference to the 3 min horror show at Walsall, late calamity from Burge sent the team into chaos, without that error I believe we’d of held out for the win running down the clock

2nd was Hiwula’s goal against Luton which wasn’t spotted by the officials. With goal line technology permitted at the top level or the linesman having a clearer sighting that’s a 2-2 draw despite a very poor performance from too many.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

It was reference to the 3 min horror show at Walsall, late calamity from Burge sent the team into chaos, without that error I believe we’d of held out for the win running down the clock

2nd was Hiwula’s goal against Luton which wasn’t spotted by the officials. With goal line technology permitted at the top level or the linesman having a clearer sighting that’s a 2-2 draw despite a very poor performance from too many.

Ah right okay, yeah would accept Walsall, think Luton is very much clutching at straws personally. We didn't deserve anything from that game at all, so wouldn't class that as unfortunate.

steve82

Ah right okay, yeah would accept Walsall, think Luton is very much clutching at straws personally. We didn't deserve anything from that game at all, so wouldn't class that as unfortunate.

Absolutely agree we didn’t deserve anything but had a goal not awarded. As I said earlier i believe it levels out over the season so hopefully we will get the balance back on that one.

Nick

Administrator
The thing is though, are they just freak results? We lost in the last minute to Walsall a couple of weeks before.

Was obvious what they were going to do, it was bad management as well as the mistakes.

steve82

The thing is though, are they just freak results? We lost in the last minute to Walsall a couple of weeks before.

Was obvious what they were going to do, it was bad management as well as the mistakes.

Hard to put keeping errors and individual errors on a manager.

Nick

Administrator
Hard to put keeping errors and individual errors on a manager.

It isn't when he has just put one of the players on and they were clearly off the pace.

There's been far too many times this season where it has been obvious the opposition are going to score.

steve82

It isn't when he has just put one of the players on and they were clearly off the pace.

There's been far too many times this season where it has been obvious the opposition are going to score.

Sorry which game, the reference you make in the opening part?
(If I guess it’s gets complicated)

Nick

Administrator
Sorry which game, the reference you make in the opening part?
(If I guess it’s gets complicated)

The most recent Walsall game.

The first walsall game he took off our biggest threat which was Thomas.

cc84cov

Mentality of the players comes for me from the management what they install into them.

steve82

The most recent Walsall game.

The first walsall game he took off our biggest threat which was Thomas.

In the recent L1 game he had a bench of
Addai, Grimmer, Hyam, Doyle, Ogogo, JCH, Hiwula
On 63 min he changed Chaplin for JCH
On 81 min he changed Bayliss for Ogogo.

If he of brought Doyle on and the same outcome had of happened it be because Doyle’s legs are still stolen and he sits so deep, Ogogo seemed the logical change at that point and he put faith in a experienced player as Bayliss fades badly late on, Shipley could of come off instead but were splitting hairs on that one given the nature of the collapse.

In the FA Cup game he had a bench of
O’Brien, Grimmer, Brown, JJ, Bayliss, Chaplin, Bakayoko
On 71 mins he changed Ogogo and Thomas for JJ and Bayliss
On 81 min he changed Hiwula for Chaplin

It would be a fair point to say Shipley should of been taken off instead of Thomas but the introduction of JJ and Bayliss was positive at 2-2, they were both a shambles when thy came on and offered nothing to get into the game or get involved.

Not much I’d of done differently if I’m honest with the changes if we was making the decision live with MR.

Last edited:

steve82

Mentality of the players comes for me from the management what they install into them.

I think that’s a very black and white look at things.

A player can be told he’s the best thing going coached wonderfully all week long. Drilled on every aspect, told his position and job yet come 3pm it’s over to him when he crosses the line to believe in his own ability and mental ability too.

Esoterica

In the recent L1 game he had a bench of
Addai, Grimmer, Hyam, Doyle, Ogogo, JCH, Hiwula
On 63 min he changed Chaplin for JCH
On 81 min he changed Bayliss for Ogogo.

If he of brought Doyle on and the same outcome had of happened it be because Doyle’s legs are still stolen and he sits so deep, Ogogo seemed the logical change at that point and he put faith in a experienced player as Bayliss fades badly late on, Shipley could of come off instead but were splitting hairs on that one given the nature of the collapse.

In the FA Cup game he had a bench of
O’Brien, Grimmer, Brown, JJ, Bayliss, Chaplin, Bakayoko
On 71 mins he changed Ogogo and Thomas for JJ and Bayliss
On 81 min he changed Hiwula for Chaplin

It would be a fair point to say Shipley should of been taken off instead of Thomas but the introduction of JJ and Bayliss was positive at 2-2, they were both a shambles when thy came on and offered nothing to get into the game or get involved.

Not much I’d of done differently if I’m honest with the changes if we was making the decision live with MR.

Walsall game Shipley had been blowing for a while already. Thought the obvious change was Doyle for Shipley on 75 and move Bayliss out wide. Maintain the ability to counter down both flanks but strengthen the middle by pushing Kelly a bit higher and letting Doyle settle the nerves.

fernandopartridge

Walsall game Shipley had been blowing for a while already. Thought the obvious change was Doyle for Shipley on 75 and move Bayliss out wide. Maintain the ability to counter down both flanks but strengthen the middle by pushing Kelly a bit higher and letting Doyle settle the nerves.

Doyle is decent when defending a lead as he does a good job at clearing up second balls in and around our area, to give him his due.

Users who are viewing this thread