Robins dilemma (1 Viewer)

Deity

I think it’s clear that our end game starting front 2 are Haji and Simms. You don’t invest £11m to put one or more on the bench.

This is creating an issue for Robins I suspect.

Of the 3 Godden is probably the least impactful coming off the bench. When the game is stretched and there is more space it doesn’t really play to his strengths.

By contrast Haji is possibly the most impactful given his pace and direct running. But you don’t keep putting your record signing on the bench unless he isn’t performing.

Simms has yet to find his form, but he will. But to do so he needs time on the pitch and the mansgers

Given Godden and Haji scored at the weekend I expect them to start and Simms to start on the bench.
However at some point we have to start with Simms and Haji and then we have very little to bring off the bench.

Kingokings204

Also there will be injuries so they will naturally rotate anyway. That’s why you want 4 strikers. Over the season most will get game time. 2 injuries and we are playing one up front with no striker sub. Unless it’s a kid.

skyblu3sk

Simms is fitter than Wright at the moment that's why he is playing. Give it a few more weeks and I think Wright will be up to speed.

Reactions: vow

djr8369

This is small fry compared to his real dilemma of a massive fall out with King after he forced him to sell his best players and not reinvest properly. We’re lucky he hasn’t walked…yet.

Esoterica

I think a lot of it depends on the expectations that were set with them when they signed. If Robins has told them they are being bought with the intention to develop them and make them even better, that they are young and aren't going to start every week, but if they work hard and improve they will see plenty of game time, then there isn't really a dilemma there. Especially when Godden has looked as fit and sharp as I've seen at the start of a season for us. It's an easy conversation for a manager to say the old guy is doing exactly what I'm asking and banging the goals in too, he's setting the bar you need to reach.

Gosb

I think it's important to think in terms of the 20 man squad for each game. Yes, all players want to start, but the 11 that do will depend upon their fitness, how they've looked in training and the opposition. And 5 of them can get on the pitch. So expect a fair bit of rotation. Of the 3 current strikers, I expect Godden to get the most starts.

Flying Fokker

This is small fry compared to his real dilemma of a massive fall out with King after he forced him to sell his best players and not reinvest properly. We’re lucky he hasn’t walked…yet.
He’s bigger than that. He is an ex-footballer and knows how things roll. IMO he’s probably selling the dream to players, in that their career will progress at City. City had no choice but to sell. Long contracts are in vogue now.

Evo1883

I think it’s clear that our end game starting front 2 are Haji and Simms. You don’t invest £11m to put one or more on the bench.

Of the 3 Godden is probably the least impactful coming off the bench. When the game is stretched and there is more space it doesn’t really play to his strengths.

By contrast Haji is possibly the most impactful given his pace and direct running. But you don’t keep putting your record signing on the bench unless he isn’t performing.

Simms has yet to find his form, but he will. But to do so he needs time on the pitch and the mansgers

Given Godden and Haji scored at the weekend I expect them to start and Simms to start on the bench.
However at some point we have to start with Simms and Haji and then we have very little to bring off the bench.

I think we start with whoever is either Fit or inform or a combination of both .. godden is fine starting or coming off the bench as he's a good championship striker , he proved the other day that he has the sharpness , link up play and movement to be an asset at this level against I should add , good championship defenders and midfielders ..

Let's be honest at this very moment ellis simms looks no better than matty godden , so he needs to work hard to get where we expect him to be as we paid good money for him

Last edited:

Mucca Mad Boys

Simms and Wright will be our starting strikers when everyone is up to speed. This only changes if Godden has an impact similar to that in our second Championship season.

Simms will be absolutely fine and the naysayers will come to look silly in a few months time. Wright will also be a class act for us.

Boicey

I think Godden will start the majority of games this season. Simms will be increasingly on the bench as a Wright sub.
Not saying I agree with that....just Robins way.

SlowerThanPlatt

I think Godden will start the majority of games this season. Simms will be increasingly on the bench as a Wright sub.
Lauren Hemp replaced Leah Williamson as your favourite women’s footballer already?

djr8369

He’s bigger than that. He is an ex-footballer and knows how things roll. IMO he’s probably selling the dream to players, in that their career will progress at City. City had no choice but to sell. Long contracts are in vogue now.
Tongue in cheek comment based on the GIMOC rumours

Johnnythespider

Probably when Godden gets injured

JulianDarbyFTW

I think the reason Godden starts atm is fairly simple. He knows how we play. Stick Simms and Wright up top before they understand how to play in this team, then the whole setup fails. Once SAW are up to speed on that, then they'll start together.

Boicey

I think the reason Godden starts atm is fairly simple. He knows how we play. Stick Simms and Wright up top before they understand how to play in this team, then the whole setup fails. Once SAW are up to speed on that, then they'll start together.
Robins loves Matty is a major factor.
If he is really keen to play Simms and Wright together then he better give them some time together on the pitch. Understanding your strike partner is the most important thing.

the rumpo kid

I think a lot of it depends on the expectations that were set with them when they signed. If Robins has told them they are being bought with the intention to develop them and make them even better, that they are young and aren't going to start every week, but if they work hard and improve they will see plenty of game time, then there isn't really a dilemma there. Especially when Godden has looked as fit and sharp as I've seen at the start of a season for us. It's an easy conversation for a manager to say the old guy is doing exactly what I'm asking and banging the goals in too, he's setting the bar you need to reach.
"The old guy is doing exactly what I'm asking" at 32.!
Excuse me while I go for a little cry. 😢

edgy

Disagree on your second sentence.

Some people are still thinking Simms is the Gyokeres replacement. He isn't. Wright is. Simms is here for competition to Godden with a view to take his place when ready.

Godden will start most games in the short term future and I think you see Simms subbed on for him.

Deity

What you are saying then is godden once simms and wright start needs to be moved on as there is no place for him
No. I’m saying he’s not a natural impact sub. If you have injuries / suspensions etc then he is good cover.

ptr

Let’s not forget it was actually meant to be Vente and Sharp but Doug wouldn’t dig deep enough. SISU puppet.

Reactions: SBT

Hobo

Simms is fitter than Wright at the moment that's why he is playing. Give it a few more weeks and I think Wright will be up to speed.
And also Simms is more familiar with English Football at the moment.

Hobo

All three Simms, Godden and Wright will get plenty of game time across the season. Robins wants depth and options so he can rest and protect players from injury. All three have different attributes and pose different problems potentially to opponents.

Certain fans are locked into what type of striker they like, managers and coaches aren't, they accept different players have different skill sets.

Users who are viewing this thread