Robins - CWR (1 Viewer)

cc84cov

Shipley was decent last time out against Millwall & we won the game so I can see why he kept him in. His performance last night was poor though & he definitely should have been substituted much earlier.

Hyam has looked a liability most of the season but who else do you put in? An untried kid?

People forget we're essentially a League 1 team competing against a Top 6 Championship side. We played the better football first half but do lack a cutting edge with both our first choice strikers injured, that can't come as a surprise.

At 1-0 down at half-time we're still in the game so to give another gift almost immediately in the second half then yes, game is then done - everyone knew it.

I don't think tactically Robins got it wrong except for not making changes earlier, particularly Shipley.
Do you not think where he said he knew the game was over at 2-0 on 46th min maybe he should of
Gone 2 up front and just had a go ? He went like for like he left Shipley on,Millwall he was ok do you remember the game he kept giving up and stopping ? If we do stay players like that need moving on

Frostie

Do you not think where he said he knew the game was over at 2-0 on 46th min maybe he should of
Gone 2 up front and just had a go ? He went like for like he left Shipley on,Millwall he was ok do you remember the game he kept giving up and stopping ? If we do stay players like that need moving on

Probably yes, and I said so at the time. Gyokeres did look knackered though so it would have meant bringing Baka on who you would also complain was a waste of a shirt so damned if he does, damned if he doesn't with some.

Brighton Sky Blue

Shipley shouldn’t be close to that starting 11 for a start if he knew the game was over at 2-0 as he said in his interview why didn’t he just go 2 up top and just have a go at them

I find it baffling that he would openly say that, it’s one things us as annoyed/melancholy fans saying it but don’t expect the manager to concede it like that.

Frostie

I find it baffling that he would openly say that, it’s one things us as annoyed/melancholy fans saying it but don’t expect the manager to concede it like that.

Not really, he's always been pretty forthright & honest.

Knowing that we lack a cutting edge & are consistently making awful errors defensively it's not unreasonable when you go 2-0 down to a top 6 side away from home to think that's probably that.
That's why conceding so soon as we did was such a hammer blow, we were in the game until then.

Brighton Sky Blue

Not really, he's always been pretty forthright & honest.

Knowing that we lack a cutting edge & are consistently making awful errors defensively it's not unreasonable when you go 2-0 down to a top 6 side away from home to think that's probably that.
That's why conceding so soon as we did was such a hammer blow, we were in the game until then.

I get that, but I think it’s one of those ‘saying the quiet part loud’ moments. Teams can and do come back from 2 down not that uncommonly especially with half the game to play.

cc84cov

Probably yes, and I said so at the time. Gyokeres did look knackered though so it would have meant bringing Baka on who you would also complain was a waste of a shirt so damned if he does, damned if he doesn't with some.
There is no excuse for going like for like at 2-0 down 46th min

cc84cov

Did alright with Barnsley. Kept them up when that was something of an achievement. Criticism of Barnsley fans was it was all deathly dull, but the results were as well as could be expected.
Let’s see what he does next game but one thing for sure is that 1 up front shit needs to end

Frostie

I get that, but I think it’s one of those ‘saying the quiet part loud’ moments. Teams can and do come back from 2 down not that uncommonly especially with half the game to play.

Some do sure but it is very uncommon actually (around 2%) & with such a gulf in class we'd have to throw the kitchen sink at them & hope to get lucky whilst leaving ourselves even wider open at the back, was never going to happen.

You said it yourself
Game over immediately fuck off

Brighton Sky Blue

There is no excuse for going like for like at 2-0 down 46th min

All this sacrificing the midfield talk neglects that we beat them with it in October. Getting the ball up faster with more chance of keeping it higher up the pitch

Brighton Sky Blue

Some do sure but it is very uncommon actually (around 2%) & with such a gulf in class we'd have to throw the kitchen sink at them & hope to get lucky whilst leaving ourselves even wider open at the back, was never going to happen.

You said it yourself

I can’t argue with myself but then again I’m not the manager. He could have helped by holding up a sign saying ‘we give up stop watching’

Frostie

All this sacrificing the midfield talk neglects that we beat them with it in October. Getting the ball up faster with more chance of keeping it higher up the pitch

We had Godden then though & he was superb that night.
Shipley also played 88 minutes & was very good.

fernandopartridge

The not playing two up front is a complete red herring in relation to last night's loss:

In the game in October, we:

1. Were at home
2. We scored the first goal so were not chasing the game at any point

If we'd have scored first last night I think we'd have held on. The fact is we missed two good chances to do that and made silly errors at the wrong time.

Ostigard killed the second half immediately, so even if Shipley had been withdrawn at half time, having two up front chasing a two goal deficit wouldn't have made much difference at all, and left us even more susceptible to a breakaway. In the end Gykores was dead on his feet so would have had to be withdrawn.

Is cc84 suggesting Baka "not even L2 level" should have come on?

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!

You said it yourself
Indeed. And if we were in the Prem playing one of the 'big 6' away from home and were 2-0 down, would we still be moaning at Robins for not making subs to get us back into the game?

Frostie

He was good, though if we were as overrun as people say then by rights we should have got hammered.

Their midfield was much weaker that night too in fairness, no Ejaria, no Swift etc. The team they put out last night was about their strongest XI except for Liam Moore.

I don't agree that going 2 up top solves our problems, especially with the lack of quality currently available in that position.

Brighton Sky Blue

The not playing two up front is a complete red herring in relation to last night's loss:

1. Were at home

If we'd have scored first last night I think we'd have held on. The fact is we missed two good chances to do that and made silly errors at the wrong time.

Ostigard killed the second half immediately, so even if Shipley had been withdrawn at half time, having two up front chasing a two goal deficit wouldn't have made much difference at all, and left us even more susceptible to a breakaway. In the end Gykores was dead on his feet so would have had to be withdrawn.

It isn’t just about the 2 strikers but the flat central 3 doing a more effective job than the box. With Shipley a non entity we basically had just 2 players vaguely near their box

Brighton Sky Blue

Their midfield was much weaker that night too in fairness, no Ejaria, no Swift etc. The team they put out last night was about their strongest XI except for Liam Moore.

I don't agree that going 2 up top solves our problems, especially with the lack of quality currently available in that position.

See above

cc84cov

1. Were at home

That’s how desperate that shit last night was mate yes

cc84cov

Further more what on gods name made robins think 1 up front would get us 2 goals away to them last night to not go 2 up front 🤦🏻‍♂️🤣

Frostie

It isn’t just about the 2 strikers but the flat central 3 doing a more effective job than the box. With Shipley a non entity we basically had just 2 players vaguely near their box

That's fair enough but having comprehensively outplayed Millwall last time out I can see why largely same again (minus Godden & Sheaf) was his thinking although personally I'd have kept Sheaf in too.

What Shipley offered in that role last season was genuine support for the striker, including making runs beyond him on occasion but he's stopped doing it this season except for in a couple of games leaving the front man isolated. The good couple of games Shipley has had this season were when Godden was up top as he seems to have developed some understanding with him, otherwise he looks lost & devoid of all confidence.

PVA

Love Robins for what he has done for us, but his interview last night was bit of a car crash. Yes the players were shite last night but he needs to accept some responsibility for the tactics and some of the players selected.

The tactics and selection weren't the reason O'Hare missed his chance or Ostigard missed from 5 yards. The tactics weren't the reason Hyam overhit the pass and Fadz got sent off.

I'm not saying Robins is faultless and that he was faultless last night, but that result was on individual errors, not Robins' selections or tactics.

Brighton Sky Blue

That's fair enough but having comprehensively outplayed Millwall last time out I can see why largely same again (minus Godden & Sheaf) was his thinking although personally I'd have kept Sheaf in too.

What Shipley offered in that role last season was genuine support for the striker, including making runs beyond him on occasion but he's stopped doing it this season except for in a couple of games leaving the front man isolated. The good couple of games Shipley has had this season were when Godden was up top as he seems to have developed some understanding with him, otherwise he looks lost & devoid of all confidence.

Yeah agree with all that.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Marosi
Dabo osti hyam mccallum
Hamer James sheaf
O’Hare
Biamou Gyo
So very little width. McCallum for how good defensive he is defensively, he doesn't get forward and his delivery isn't the best. Dabo's best games have come at RWB but don't think that's too much of a problem. The biggest issue with your suggestion is you keep moaning about Shipley not being good enough but to play two up top we also have to play a striker who isn't good enough for the division. At least with the current set up, last night aside, we have a system we know how to play that has been pretty solid for the most part.
The biggest concern for changing formation is we don't really have players to play with two up front. One of the criticisms that I think would be fair of Robins is the lack of flexibility in the squad he has assembled. We are either uncomfortably narrow or putting square pegs in round holes with the wide men. I also wouldn't want to play two up top until Walker is back to partner Gyokeres

cc84cov

So very little width. McCallum for how good defensive he is defensively, he doesn't get forward and his delivery isn't the best. Dabo's best games have come at RWB but don't think that's too much of a problem. The biggest issue with your suggestion is you keep moaning about Shipley not being good enough but to play two up top we also have to play a striker who isn't good enough for the division. At least with the current set up, last night aside, we have a system we know how to play that has been pretty solid for the most part.
The biggest concern for changing formation is we don't really have players to play with two up front. One of the criticisms that I think would be fair of Robins is the lack of flexibility in the squad he has assembled. We are either uncomfortably narrow or putting square pegs in round holes with the wide men. I also wouldn't want to play two up top until Walker is back to partner Gyokeres
Full backs offer it CDM can drop in if we get caught high...also what do we do with the width ? Cross to 1 man ? How many goals from crosses have we scored this season ?

Grendel

Baka was affordable and he hoped to use him sparingly can be the only reason

Affordable is a lame argument and also he was third choice at the start. Other players by definition would have been affordable.

Sky Blue Pete

Affordable is a lame argument and also he was third choice at the start. Other players by definition would have been affordable.
So you think he chose to keep him on cause he thinks he’s better than he is?
Or something else? What’s the rational logical reason?

Users who are viewing this thread