Robbie retiring. (3 Viewers)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I see from the news earlier this evening that Robbie Keane is retiring from Football. I don't know about many of you lot, but he was one of my all time favourite players ever to wear the City colours! Skillful, great football mind, goal scorer, and a gentleman. I say "gentleman", because just after he left us, he played for Inter Milan, Leeds and then Spurs. When Spurs came to play City, Robbie scored for them but instead of his usual celebratory cartwheel or whatever, he just turned and walked slowly back to his own half, unhappy that he had to score against his old club, who he truly loved.
All the best Robbie, in whatever you do. I'm sure you will be a great success! Bless ya! Sláinte!

Robbie Keane.jpg

Paxman II

One of the best players we ever had. Set a record when we bought him for 6m and none believed it was happening I remember.

Grendel

His record was pretty average until he went to Spurs.

For all his endeavours his goals per game away from Highfield Road was very poor

Marty

Brilliant player, absolutely loved watching him play, what we would do for a player of his quality now.

usskyblue

12 in 31. He put in some good performances and was undoubtedly a good player...but hardly a legend. Unless, of course you compare him to some of the goal shy fuckwombles we’ve had since.

Legia Sky Blue

Loved watching him play for us and was gutted when we sold him so soon after signing him. Of course we then went and got relegated too. One thing on the lack of celebration thing though - check out his celebration when he scored the winner for Leeds against us - the full somersault etc, so wasn't too respectful then. Mind you neither should he - if you score then celebrate as far as I'm concerned.

Grendel

Brilliant player, absolutely loved watching him play, what we would do for a player of his quality now.

Through the generations players like Gibson and Wallace achieved far far more for the club

Gibson’s goals single handedly kept the club up for two seasons

Paul Anthony

Still not quite sure how that goal against Arsenal made it in, such a nonchalant flick. Such a shame we only had him for one season. We didn't have that quality again the season after, least not until Harston was signed and scored a few, and it cost us dearly.

Magwitch

One of the best players we ever had. Set a record when we bought him for 6m and none believed it was happening I remember.
Sold by the inept chairman Bryan Richardson after just about every young fan and a few older ones had bought city scarves with Robbie Keane on, evil b*****d

Terry_dactyl

He was no David speedie!
Loved keane while he was here and wish we could’ve kept hold of him. Makes you wonder if/when we’ll ever be in a position to purchase players of such quality/promise again.
Although I have high hopes for Bakayoko!

Marty

Through the generations players like Gibson and Wallace achieved far far more for the club

Gibson’s goals single handedly kept the club up for two seasons

Undoubtedly other players have done far more for the club but it's before my time, I started going when Dion was banging them in during the mid 90's

ccfc92

As my name suggests, probably one of the best players in my lifetime to play for the club (including his success after he left us).

I remember listening to the game v Derby on the radio and getting the top with Keano on the back for my birthday.

One of my favourite ever players for CCFC if not, the favourite.

Joy Division

Loved watching him at Highfield Road, one of the best I've ever seen but away from home he was frustrating to say the least.

shmmeee

12 in 31. He put in some good performances and was undoubtedly a good player...but hardly a legend. Unless, of course you compare him to some of the goal shy fuckwombles we’ve had since.

Spoken like someone who has only seen his wiki stats. Keane was one of a handful of players we’ve had that was head and shoulders above his team mates. See also Roland Nilsson and Dion Dublin in my lifetime.

Joy Division

Only 2 of those 12 goals he scored were away from home. One of the best players I've seen play for us but don't think I could ever put him in the CCFC legend category.

usskyblue

Spoken like someone who has only seen his wiki stats. Keane was one of a handful of players we’ve had that was head and shoulders above his team mates. See also Roland Nilsson and Dion Dublin in my lifetime.

Was there for his debut, and every home game he played. I’m not saying he wasn’t good. Just not a legend imo m8

CCFCSteve

What a player for his age ! I can’t recall any better 18/19 year olds who have played for city in my lifetime (Ndlovu possibly up there in patches). Yes, he wasn’t here for long but quality. Hear the directors made a nice turn on his move to Inter ! Always had c*nts running the club !

Joy Division

Suprise suprise.

Nothing untrue about that though, 2 goals in 16 away games for us in that season isn't great is it. Perhaps if he was a bit more prolific we wouldn't have had such an awful away record that season.

Hugely talented player otherwise though.

RedSalmon

Will always love him for scoring against the Villa at Highfield Road. What a night.

My son was 12 years old and it is one of the fondest moments we shared together. Very special father son moment.

Irish Sky Blue

His impact can’t just be measured in the goals he scored. It was also the quality of the goals he scored and the fact he was so clearly such a good, clever player in everything he did and the way he linked with others. He is one of the best players that has played for us in the time I have been watching. Having said that he still wouldn’t be in my all time City Xl as he wasn’t here long enough to make the impact of a Regis, Wallace or Hutchison. I also remember his goal celebration for Leeds. I have no problem with that but doesn’t really mean his non celebration when at Tottenham shows a great love for the club. We must be one of his briefest stop overs.

fernandopartridge

His impact can’t just be measured in the goals he scored. It was also the quality of the goals he scored and the fact he was so clearly such a good, clever player in everything he did and the way he linked with others. He is one of the best players that has played for us in the time I have been watching. Having said that he still wouldn’t be in my all time City Xl as he wasn’t here long enough to make the impact of a Regis, Wallace or Hutchison. I also remember his goal celebration for Leeds. I have no problem with that but doesn’t really mean his non celebration when at Tottenham shows a great love for the club. We must be one of his briefest stop overs.

Yeah we're a minor event in his career. He was good while he was here, he was our record signing at the time mind you. Pound for pound you'd probably argue that Huckerby had just as great an impact even though he wasn't at Keane's level.

Users who are viewing this thread