Ricoh (1 Viewer)

Woodingdean_Sky_Blue

So why come out now? We still don’t have a site (and the club haven’t said no purchase necessary at this point), nothing is concrete and UoW and WCC work closely with CCC and any site will impact infrastructure in Coventry anyway. There’s still every chance of it being scuppered if you believe that’s a risk.

You simply can’t build a Championship level stadium (or any stadium) “on the sly”. It’s just not possible.
You ask, why now?

Answer: The Issues and Options Consultation for the A46 strategic relief road.

But then you're in planning, so you knew all about that already.

shmmeee

You ask, why now?

Answer: The Issues and Options Consultation for the A46 strategic relief road.

But then you're in planning, so you knew all about that already.

Im not in planning?

I’m sure it adds to the case, but I’d argue not as solidly as the existing things already there, especially as there’s no detail on anything that you’d put in such a case like location or capacity. I seriously doubt the DfT will put too much weight on something not even at pre-planning stage.

Woodingdean_Sky_Blue

Im not in planning?

I’m sure it adds to the case, but I’d argue not as solidly as the existing things already there, especially as there’s no detail on anything that you’d put in such a case like location or capacity. I seriously doubt the DfT will put too much weight on something not even at pre-planning stage.
Your post is meaningless - the consultation isn't even a central government department function.

If you really want to understand what I meant I suggest you look into the processes that are followed when building a new relief or link road.

I really do recommend you take a break from this.

Last edited:

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
December 2012 fisher tells acl ccfc will build their own stadium.
January 2014 whilst playing in Northampton announce interest in building a stadium in Exhall. Efl need to know there is a plan to return? Artists impression released.
April 2016 ccfc say talks taking place with butts Park arena about a shared ground
2017 to 2018 shared ownership of butts Park arena talked up by club but crfc owner has other ideas. Efl still asking for certainty
April 2019 site of woodlands school said by club to be preferred site of the new stadium. Ccfc move to Birmingham but efl need evidence of how they will return
July 2020 potential partnership announced but not formed with Warwick University to perhaps develop a stadium if funding can be found on an unknown site. ccfc end up in Birmingham again

Kind of hard to simply believe in the latest "plan" after the many statements since 2012 nothing has ever progressed beyond words. As others have said sisu are now in a corner of their own making...... actions not more words

Yes you could point a finger at other parties for being obstructive, but if the new stadium is so vital for the club to have a future the above doesn't seem to indicate much focus and drive to achieve it.

But dig behind all those sites and there were strong reasons why each was not going to happen. All discussed on this forum so you would assume any plan problems would be fully understood by our owners too

Would be great to have our own stadium but have yet to see anything that makes me think it will happen especially when based on their record on such matters to date

Last edited:

Ring Of Steel

December 2012 fisher tells acl ccfc will build their own stadium.
January 2014 whilst playing in Northampton announce interest in building a stadium in Exhall. Efl need to know there is a plan to return? Artists impression released.
April 2016 ccfc say talks taking place with butts Park arena about a shared ground
2017 to 2018 shared ownership of butts Park arena talked up by club but crfc owner has other ideas. Efl still asking for certainty
April 2019 site of woodlands school said by club to be preferred site of the new stadium. Ccfc move to Birmingham but efl need evidence of how they will return
July 2020 potential partnership announced but not formed with Warwick University to perhaps develop a stadium if funding can be found on an unknown site. ccfc end up in Birmingham again

Kind of hard to simply believe in the latest "plan" after the many statements since 2012 nothing has ever progressed beyond words. As others have said sisu are now in a corner of their own making...... actions not more words

Yes you could point a finger at other parties for being obstructive, but if the new stadium is so vital for the club to have a future the above doesn't seem to indicate much focus and drive to achieve it.

But dig behind all those sites and there were strong reasons why each was not going to happen. All discussed on this forum so you would assume any plan problems would be fully understood by our owners too

Would be great to have our own stadium but have yet to see anything that makes me think it will happen especially when based on their record on such matters to date

Pretty much sums it up, and it’s not being negative, it’s just pointing out (in amongst the general din on here of blaming the council for absolutely everything) that our owners have failed every time when it comes to having a ground. No doubt CCC and Wasps are part of it but they sure as hell didn’t start it. Ultimately SISU got us into this and now they have to get us out of it.

How the hell some people are still willing to drink the kool aid & tow the SBT party line that “everything is down to Wasps and the council“- it beggars belief really.

fernandopartridge

The cynic or perhaps the just tired of the performative statements in me thinks it is telling that the latest sketch once again throws in a key criteria that's out of the control of SISU, I.e. The new link road from the A46 and the tram line

BornSlippySkyBlue

See I’m not convinced anyone (ok, maybe a few) are really buying the ‘new stadium’ stuff. We can discuss ‘what if’s’ without believing it’s a definite thing.

I agree that the tone on here has changed regards SISU, but as mentioned above they have very little wriggle room left now. They can’t keep on bullshitting the fans and the EFL forever.

This is their last chance.

And maybe ours.

NorthernWisdom

See I’m not convinced anyone (ok, maybe a few) are really buying the ‘new stadium’ stuff. We can discuss ‘what if’s’ without believing it’s a definite thing.

I agree that the tone on here has changed regards SISU, but as mentioned above they have very little wriggle room left now. They can’t keep on bullshitting the fans and the EFL forever.

This is their last chance.

And maybe ours.
It's not the what-ifs ref: build, capacity etc. I have a problem with, it's the fact it seems to be anybody's fault but SISU that a new stadium hasn't moved beyond a statement that I have a problem with. They're in control, and they also really have gone beyond last chance.

The only way to claw back credibility is to actually build the damned thing. Until then, the random statements that say nothing should be treated with the scorn they deserve.

And for that matter, also cast shade on anything they say about any other matters...

shmmeee

Your post is meaningless - the consultation isn't even a central government department function.

If you really want to understand what I meant I suggest you look into the processes that are followed when building a new relief or link road.

I really do recommend you take a break from this.

Yeah again, you’ve been here a week and done nothing but make vague insinuations and get things wrong, so nah I’m alright thanks. It’s nice Nicks got a friend though.

I’m aware of the consultation process, that’s why I said that the level of planning the stadium is at won’t factor in that much. It’ll be a line at most in any consideration. Being that the club haven’t actually announced anything at this stage.

Yet again you’ve avoided a direct point by throwing out a random insult. And you’re far from the first to do that on here. Sorry to disappoint.

BornSlippySkyBlue

It's not the what-ifs ref: build, capacity etc. I have a problem with, it's the fact it seems to be anybody's fault but SISU that a new stadium hasn't moved beyond a statement that I have a problem with. They're in control, and they also really have gone beyond last chance.

The only way to claw back credibility is to actually build the damned thing. Until then, the random statements that say nothing should be treated with the scorn they deserve.

And for that matter, also cast shade on anything they say about any other matters...
Yeah, you’re right there. It really is shit or get off the pot time. I think it’s fair to question the role of all parties in this fiasco, but the buck ultimately stops with SISU. If they want to show us that the reason they haven’t / can’t build a stadium is other parties, they need to actually, openly try.

I guess that is the difference with having WU in as potential future partners. It will become increasingly difficult for them (SISU) to maintain a bluff with a dubious (they’ve got to be, right?) 3rd party in tow.

I don’t see what we can do apart from cross our fingers, wait, and give all of our support to Pete and Mark in order to keep the fans’ voices relevant. Those in a position (morally and otherwise) to financially back the team in the meantime can, if they choose.

If the ground goes ahead (IF) they will need all of the support they can get just to tread water, for let’s face it >5 years. I’ve made my decision, in for a penny and all that.

Woodingdean_Sky_Blue

Yeah again, you’ve been here a week and done nothing but make vague insinuations and get things wrong, so nah I’m alright thanks. It’s nice Nicks got a friend though.

I’m aware of the consultation process, that’s why I said that the level of planning the stadium is at won’t factor in that much. It’ll be a line at most in any consideration. Being that the club haven’t actually announced anything at this stage.

Yet again you’ve avoided a direct point by throwing out a random insult. And you’re far from the first to do that on here. Sorry to disappoint.
I haven't avoided anything.

You keep making nonsense statements about processes you clearly do not understand. As you seem to get offended when it is pointed out that you don't know what you're on about, perhaps you should stop trying to present yourself as the font of all knowledge.

You've made several incorrect statements in this thread alone, but I haven't pulled you up on these as I didn't think it would help you for me to list your failings.

From what I have read, you seem to be the one who likes to make snide comments. Why don't you give it a rest.

Irish Sky Blue

Last season we were told that at management level at least, talks between City and Wasps continued and relationships were cordial.
I am assuming that the acrimonious comments from both sides means that no communication now exists.
Would this be true,anyone in the know?
Clutching at straws that even now we might get a return to the Ricoh next season.

Ring Of Steel

Last season we were told that at management level at least, talks between City and Wasps continued and relationships were cordial.
I am assuming that the acrimonious comments from both sides means that no communication now exists.
Would this be true,anyone in the know?
Clutching at straws that even now we might get a return to the Ricoh next season.

Who the hell knows anything at this point... I thought they’d said that all talks were now finished and no more communication, but there’s so much info flying around I don’t know if that’s true or not to be honest.

Magwitch

Rarely comment on stadium based threads it just goes found in circles and ends up in the same spot but I will say something those believing the Warwick Uni protect possibility will happen dream on and look at reality. Our Coventry based home is the Richo nowhere else unless we ccfc is sold.

Hadji's_Goatee

We messed up bigly with the first few games at the Ricoh in several ways...

Not having the safety certificate in place for the first game and therefore it not being sold out.... didn't we absolutely batter QPR, had we played that match in front of 32000 it would have had massive carry-over.

You could see the writing on the wall in that very first match... the City fans tried to make the Telegraph Stand the new "West End", but the traditional West Terracers were too diluted with families, and the stewards/police made a concerted effort for the first half of the season to get everyone sitting down. The families and newcomers were intimidated by this and the atmosphere was never really able to kick off.

I remember being on the 2nd to back row, right behind the goal, and having people sat on the back row trying to make everybody sit down.

And blocks 14-16 might seem noisy when you're in there, but as somebody said above, you can't hear that down the other end, despite the "great acoustics" the Ricoh reputedly has.
Exactly – If / when we have a new stadium, they should call one of the stands the New West Terrace, the New M&B Stand, The New New East Stand ;)

But seriously though, calling a stand the West Terrace will help give the supporters a clue on where to sit and like-minded fans can stand and sing together without bothering other folk and young families etc.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Exactly – If / when we have a new stadium, they should call one of the stands the New West Terrace, the New M&B Stand, The New New East Stand ;)

But seriously though, calling a stand the West Terrace will help give the supporters a clue on where to sit and like-minded fans can stand and sing together without bothering other folk and young families etc.

In the modern climate it'd have to be called the West Safe-Standing Area.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
The cynic or perhaps the just tired of the performative statements in me thinks it is telling that the latest sketch once again throws in a key criteria that's out of the control of SISU, I.e. The new link road from the A46 and the tram line

I agree.

The road and VLR are put forward as part of the partnership proposal but the reality it isnt something that is in control of the uni let alone ccfc/sisu. The timing and financing of those elements are nothing to do with the partnership proposal and will happen whether or not there is a stadium and on a timescale that suits the LA's backing it. Something to hide behind perhaps?

In fact those two elements are the only thing close to being fully funded or have any sort of plan. The first stage of the Stoneleigh project which is the roundabout on the A46 is only recently fully funded £38m and not expected to complete before spring 2022 assuming no delays. That doesnt include the new link road to the uni.

Also there is a perception that the road project is not in coventry so ccc have no involvement. Simply not so, CWLEP are part of its funding. Links to that road lead in to coventry

Any stadium will affect road infrastructure in Canley, Westwood etc. People from North or central coventry etc are not going to be taking a big detour to South coventry to hook up to the Stoneleigh relief road to get to stadium. The uni/ccfc partnership would have to talk to ccc. It is very likely ccc would be asking for a development contribution to infra structure. Bound to cause arguments and delay you would think

Then of course there is the VLR which is a ccc project. CCC have planned that there will be a vlr station at Westwood heath but in their own time line. Again you might expect contribution from developers. Again room for arguments

The more I look at it the less I am convinced it will happen. Which means the only way back to coventry is the ricoh.

Last edited:

shmmeee

We’ve lacked imagination and effort on the match day experience ever since we moved. Should’ve been closing off the back of stands as soon as attendance dropped below 50%, should’ve made far more of the space outside the ground before and after games. No one ever put any effort in. You ended up with a soulless walk up to an empty stadium. No feeling of community or history or any of the other things that you feel going into the ground of a historic club.

I agree.

The road and VLR are put forward as part of the partnership proposal but the reality it isnt something that is in control of the uni let alone ccfc/sisu. The timing and financing of those elements are nothing to do with the partnership proposal and will happen whether or not there is a stadium and on a timescale that suits the LA's backing it. Something to hide behind perhaps?

In fact those two elements are the only thing close to being fully funded or have any sort of plan. The first stage of the Stoneleigh project which is the roundabout on the A46 is only recently fully funded £38m and not expected to complete before spring 2022 assuming no delays. That doesnt include the new link road to the uni.

Also there is a perception that the road project is not in coventry so ccc have no involvement. Simply not so, CWLEP are part of its funding. Links to that road lead in to coventry

Any stadium will affect road infrastructure in Canley, Westwood etc. People from North central coventry etc are not going to be taking a big detour to South coventry to hook up to the Stoneleigh relief road to get to stadium. The uni/ccfc partnership would have to talk to ccc. It is very likely ccc would asking for a development contribution to infra structure. Bound to cause arguments and delay you would think

Then of course there is the VLR which is a ccc project. CCC have planned that there will be a vlr station at Westwood heath but in their own time line. Again you might expect contribution from developers. Again room for arguments

The more I look at it the less I am convinced it will happen. Which means the only way back to coventry is the ricoh.

All good points. I think people (sadly I’d include Sisu in this) have no idea how much collaboration there is between authorities. The idea you just build on the boundary line and CCC just sit there fuming was always fanciful.

Grendel

I agree.

Any stadium will affect road infrastructure in Canley, Westwood etc. People from North central coventry etc are not going to be taking a big detour to South coventry to hook up to the Stoneleigh relief road to get to stadium. The uni/ccfc partnership would have to talk to ccc. It is very likely ccc would asking for a development contribution to infra structure. Bound to cause arguments and delay you would think

Its never going to happen

Even if everything came together Fisher will put a load of newts and rare species of bat on the site and tip off Chris Packham

This is never happening

wingy

Was always behind netting off the top of stands and compacting fans that way .
Never bought into singer's corner or not having our own fan's behind the goal.
I get the constraints but still would disagree ((Only my own opinion) .
Irrelevant currently anyway for a couple of weighty reasons.

NortonSkyBlue

I may be out on my own with this POV, I believe that it would be a complete and utter waste of money to build a new stadium when there is a fine stadium built for us to play in currently hosting 15 games a season.
Now more than ever both of the protagonists are engaged in mutual suicide and under the prevailing circumstances both leaderships need to swallow pride and their bile and find a way to make the Ricoh work for Wasps and Coventry City.

Users who are viewing this thread