Ricoh Arena Misses Out (1 Viewer)

pusbccfc

Very disappointing, when the Ricoh hosted olympic football, the change in atmosphere around the City was incredible. I've never felt so happy walking around town.

I met so many foreign people, they were loving their visit Coventry.

I was hoping to have that again with the Rugby.

japandy

Coventry used to be a football, rugby, speedway, greyhound racing, ice hockey city but now seems to be quiet on most fronts. Previous chairpersons always stated that we have a big catchment area but numbers tell a different story. There is only one positive for the City of Coventry and that is location. We are slap bang in the middle of the country and that is why we were chosen for the Olympics. If it wasn't for the location we would definitely be a white elephant. And, the irony of it all is we are based at a ground where the owners have such amateur business sense they couldn't even get us gigs or games with the best location in the country.

Mr B

Oh how different the tune being played would have been if the Ricoh had got it..[/QUOTEt
Not from me, why should it, a couple of low key rugger games can go to the Butts Arena for that. Anyway there could be plenty of Rugby games at the Ricoh soon enough

Low key Rugby games, are you serious do you actually know that The Rugby World Cup is the third biggest worldwide event behind The Football World Cup and The Olympics? Butts Arena? muppet! Any game at The Ricoh would easily of sold out and I mean any even between two minnows.

Its bad news for the City regardless of the SISU/ACL debate and has nothing to do with capacity as why would they have pick StadiumMK, Sandy Park and Kingsholm.

Grendel

Grendel - Showing utter ignorance AS PER

How difficult is it to understand!

NEC £150 per sqr mt

Pitch ALONE is 105m x 68.

IT works out at £1,071,000 PER EVENT.

But of course YOU are right, the £170 k / yr sisu want to pay cannot be improved upon

Your ignorance is only equalled by your arrogance!

CRETIN

I understand you are a complete fool.

What is this gibbering argument? Comparing the ground to an exhibition / concert hall? Where does the £150 come from.

May have escaped your notice but we play football so compare to some council owned stadiums. Swansea? Hull? How about Doncaster who currently pay £10,000 a year for the privilege. According to you we must play on a porch the size of Hyde park or them on a postage stamp.

If you attempt to take me on at least make an effort.

Mr B

Although I hate rugby, I agree. It would have been good for the City. However, it really underlines the fact that the Ricoh isn't the "money magnet" portrayed by ACL.

They need us as much as we need them. Hopefully sense will prevail and they will both realise that.

Disagree on the money magent front Muse, Springsteen, Davis Cup, Psychic Sally (I'm taking the pee with this one) etc.

hutch1972

Low key Rugby games, are you serious do you actually know that The Rugby World Cup is the third biggest worldwide event behind The Football World Cup and The Olympics? Butts Arena? muppet! Any game at The Ricoh would easily of sold out and I mean any even between two minnows.

Its bad news for the City regardless of the SISU/ACL debate and has nothing to do with capacity as why would they have pick StadiumMK, Sandy Park and Kingsholm.

I think by low key he was meaning a game between say Canada and Uruguay. There would have been no chance of seeing Aus,Nz etc

theferret

It's disappointing in the sense it would have been good for the city generally, but you can understand the reasoning. Everybody can understand why Leicester was chosen, and MK regularly hosts Northampton Saints for big games and has become known as a Rugby venue, and is a far better stadium and venue than the Ricoh.

My personal belief is that the ACL business model that doesn't include a football club is a very ambitious one. A lot of wishful thinking. They need the football club as much as the club needs somewhere to play. Two concerts a year and the odd exhibition hall event just won't cut it.

lordsummerisle

Disagree on the money magent front Muse, Springsteen, Davis Cup, Psychic Sally (I'm taking the pee with this one) etc.

Seeing as the council had to pay £50,000 to the LTA to bring in the hordes(well 9000 over 3 days) for a minor Davis Cup game, wouldn't exactly consider it a money magnet for that particular event.

Mr B

But paying to bring in the Davis Cup will keep it afloat?

What you fail to realise is who owns the land? The Council, who is the mortgage owed to, The Council......... Also The Davis Cup is an example of what other events are drawn to The Ricoh which ran concurrently with the football, oh and they have snooker soon too so the stadium does absolutely nothing to draw other events....... think on.

Mr B

But paying to bring in the Davis Cup will keep it afloat?

So £50,000 is paid to host the Davis Cup, tickets priced at least £17 with 8,394 spectators over the three days so that would generate a net profit of £92,698 less the LTA fees on ticket sales alone, then put on top food and drink sales and car parking plus any other profits generated for the city such as hotel and restaurant profits....... What a stupid bloody decision to host an event and turn a profit.

Sick Boy

With some of the posters on here it is quite easy to forget that this forum is supposed to be for the football club.

After dongo's login failures, i expect that there are several users with multiple usernames.

chiefdave

So £50,000 is paid to host the Davis Cup, tickets priced at least £17 with 8,394 spectators over the three days so that would generate a net profit of £92,698 less the LTA fees on ticket sales alone, then put on top food and drink sales and car parking plus any other profits generated for the city such as hotel and restaurant profits....... What a stupid bloody decision to host an event and turn a profit.

By those calculations the event cost absolutly nothing to put on. Who paid the staffing costs, adverstising, electric, cost of preparing the hall, putting in courts etc? Was that all paid for by the LTA?

Ashdown1

The LTA and players themselves went on record to particularly praise the facilities and organisation..........even the atmosphere. Its likely they will be back and maybe it will be received by even more paying spectators. It was good for the City, forget the SISU/ACL dispute in this !

Mr B

By those calculations the event cost absolutly nothing to put on. Who paid the staffing costs, adverstising, electric, cost of preparing the hall, putting in courts etc? Was that all paid for by the LTA?

Apologes I meant to put Gross not Net profit as I was only factoring in the known cost of £50,000 and it wouldn't of cost nothing to put on, I also mentioned other profit varibles such as food & drink and parking also there could of been corperate packages. Yes you have to consider other costs I agree but the bottom line is that this event will have made a profit althogh we can only speculate numbers.

Don't cherry pick items to support your argument.

lordsummerisle

Therefore instead of charging the club rent the council/ACL should pay the club £50,000 per 9000 fans that come through the doors.

Worked out that just about £2million including cup games that they would owe us from just last season.

Wonder how much it would be from all the previous seasons then?

Thanks for helping the argument for the club against ACL though.

lordsummerisle

The LTA and players themselves went on record to particularly praise the facilities and organisation..........even the atmosphere. Its likely they will be back and maybe it will be received by even more paying spectators. It was good for the City, forget the SISU/ACL dispute in this !

The LTA would, they were paid £50,000 to come here!

Seems strange though that people are highlighting the "benefits" of the Davis Cup yet at the same time downplaying the loss of Rugby World Cup games as just a couple of minor games that nobody would bother about.

stupot07

Kids were free.

Last edited:

Mr B

Therefore instead of charging the club rent the council/ACL should pay the club £50,000 per 9000 fans that come through the doors.

Worked out that just about £2million including cup games that they would owe us from just last season.

Wonder how much it would be from all the previous seasons then?

Thanks for helping the argument for the club against ACL though.

Ok i'm goint to blunt here, I can see you are from Lincoln, I am from Coventry therfore a tax payer in Coventry so it is in my interest to see the stadium do well regardless of who is a tennant there.

SISU should pay the agreed rent and you are talking nonsense about the £50k in essence the stadium does well it does my City well, you in Lincoln it does not affect you so stop wishing ill upon the City you have no connection with apart from supporting to football team, it runs deeper than the ACL/SISU debate.

If things were so crap they would not be attacting other events such as the snooker.....

lordsummerisle

Ok i'm goint to blunt here, I can see you are from Lincoln, I am from Coventry therfore a tax payer in Coventry so it is in my interest to see the stadium do well regardless of who is a tennant there.

SISU should pay the agreed rent and you are talking nonsense about the £50k in essence the stadium does well it does my City well, you in Lincoln it does not affect you so stop wishing ill upon the City you have no connection with apart from supporting to football team, it runs deeper than the ACL/SISU debate.

If things were so crap they would not be attacting other events such as the snooker.....

Basically you fell into a trap of defending the clubs position with your argument so have now resorted to "You don't live in Coventry so it doesn't matter".

Your own argument was that it is good business to pay £50,000 to any entity bringing in 9000 people through the doors for the council.

The same should surely apply to the club, or your original argument is flawed.

Ashdown1

The LTA would, they were paid £50,000 to come here!

Seems strange though that people are highlighting the "benefits" of the Davis Cup yet at the same time downplaying the loss of Rugby World Cup games as just a couple of minor games that nobody would bother about.

I'm certainly not, any world cup games would have brought the City to the map around the globe and highlighted once again what a great stadium we have here in Coventry.

Mr B

Basically you fell into a trap of defending the clubs position with your argument so have now resorted to "You don't live in Coventry so it doesn't matter".

Your own argument was that it is good business to pay £50,000 to any entity bringing in 9000 people through the doors for the council.

The same should surely apply to the club, or your original argument is flawed.

Trap, really, you have a high opinion of yourself Mr Selfrighteous don't you? :facepalm:Ok i'll say it because it is what you want to hear and what you crave, I don't agree with you but you are right, there now go and sit satifsifed with your petty little ego.

lordsummerisle

I'm certainly not, any world cup games would have brought the City to the map around the globe and highlighted once again what a great stadium we have here in Coventry.

I agree, it seems some so blinded by ACL love that anything that possibly isn't good news has to be downgraded to not really being important anyway, but minor rounds of the Davis Cup and bloody snooker being much better than World Cup Rugby anyway!

A bit like when Dann was sold, and all the Sisu supporters saying "was overrated anyway, McPake much better"!

Mr B

Lordsummerisle - I have chosen to ignore you, carry on posting to your hearts content by all means I just can't be bothered with your drivel anymore......

lordsummerisle

Lordsummerisle - I have chosen to ignore you, carry on posting to your hearts content by all means I just can't be bothered with your drivel anymore......

Thanks for the PM, spelling left a little to be desired.

Why you should ignore me though for agreeing with your argument that it is good business for the council/ACL to pay £50,00 for every 9000 people through the doors is beyond me.

What do you think of people who don't agree with you??

torchomatic

I know, it's bloody annoying when someone doesn't agree with you, isn't it? Especially when you are always right! Sheesh, I don't know....

Users who are viewing this thread