Revenue idea if only BCD for the foreseeable future (1 Viewer)

Otis

Just wondering.... let's assume it will be BCD when football resumes, be that this season, or next.

So, streaming of games with a fee to watch. Not going to be enough revenue now is it, as we know So, what if (just throwing figures off the top of my head) it is say £15-£20 per game. Could we not then also stream U23 games, U18 games, even U16 glass and charge for them too, but at a fraction of the cost, on an decreasing scale?

Won't be much, but would be something. I think I would pay £6 for a under 23 game.

Paxman II

Firstly I don't believe many would be interested enough to pay for U23 games or the like. Secondly we already stream on iFollow for around £5.
You are suggesting 300/400% increase? I don't mind watching on my laptop for a fiver but £20/25? No thanks.
Thirdly this whole idea of BCD's just does not stack up for me. Safety is the presumed priority, and players, officials and a host of others are still required to open a stadium, and ready for a football match. Testing alone would need to be done in those circumstances too, and ist would not be feesable for a number of reasons. Many players too would not be keen on it.
Clutching at straws Otis.

skybluetony176

When/if the season kicks off again clearly you’ve got to honour any existing contract for the SB player but maybe charge £10 a game for one of subscription.

I think it’s very likely that next season might have to be behind closed doors anyway so something is going to have to happen with the price anyway at some point just so the club can pay or at least attempt to pay its way. They could sell home and away season tickets for the SB player and include one of the many devices out there that allow you to stream to your TV from your phone, tablet or whatever. One of game, higher price and you find your own way to stream to your TV or put up with watching it on you phone, tablet or PC.

Personally I’d go for a home and away SB player ticket in that scenario. What else are you going to do while social distancing and isolating.

Grendel

Just wondering.... let's assume it will be BCD when football resumes, be that this season, or next.

So, streaming of games with a fee to watch. Not going to be enough revenue now is it, as we know So, what if (just throwing figures off the top of my head) it is say £15-£20 per game. Could we not then also stream U23 games, U18 games, even U16 glass and charge for them too, but at a fraction of the cost, on an decreasing scale?

Won't be much, but would be something. I think I would pay £6 for a under 23 game.

It’s a good discussion point but honestly I can’t be bothered with streaming rubbish and like the atmosphere at games and I think I can’t be alone with that. Behind closed doors games are boring and I will not watch them so sports bodies and governments need a real solution or this is going to become a real crises for many sports

superskyblue

I would love to know the viewing figures for iFollow. My assumption would be that stream only would get a higher average attendance than if it was in person only (at St Andrews). I think it could be touch and go whether it would be higher than in person only at the Ricoh too. There are sky blues fans all over the country/world who can't get to games. I would offer decent value ifollow season tickets that come with a discount voucher off a real season ticket whenever we're allowed back to attempt to entice the Grendel's of this world who don't want to stream.

Otis

It’s a good discussion point but honestly I can’t be bothered with streaming rubbish and like the atmosphere at games and I think I can’t be alone with that. Behind closed doors games are boring and I will not watch them so sports bodies and governments need a real solution or this is going to become a real crises for many sports
I agree. The atmosphere is such a major part of the thrill and the excitement. Without that, it does become all the duller.

hill83

I’d happily sign up to a ‘Save our club’ type of thing. £20/£30 a month or something in exchange for a couple of token gifts from the shop and some sort of ticket offer for when we are allowed back in stadiums. That’s purely off the top of my head, but something similar. Alongside games being streamed.

chiefdave

I’d happily sign up to a ‘Save our club’ type of thing. £20/£30 a month or something in exchange for a couple of token gifts from the shop and some sort of ticket offer for when we are allowed back in stadiums. That’s purely off the top of my head, but something similar. Alongside games being streamed.
Something like the membership thing they used to do (possibly still do) where you got iplayer included and other things on top, think you got a discount at the shop, priority on tickets and that sort of thing. They'd need to rework it as obviously things like ticket priority aren't much use now but I'd happily chuck some money at the club to help keep it in business.

If there's no crowds at games presumably there will be no programs. You could knock out a monthly magazine with that content in pretty easily. T-shirts and other merchandise that can be produced cheaply are another option.

Brighton Sky Blue

One option could be to allow the 'lowest risk' demographics in at first

wingy

Something like the membership thing they used to do (possibly still do) where you got iplayer included and other things on top, think you got a discount at the shop, priority on tickets and that sort of thing. They'd need to rework it as obviously things like ticket priority aren't much use now but I'd happily chuck some money at the club to help keep it in business.

If there's no crowds at games presumably there will be no programs. You could knock out a monthly magazine with that content in pretty easily. T-shirts and other merchandise that can be produced cheaply are another option.
There has to be some Scope to incorporate all of that .
Many people are willing to subscribe monthly to charities ,sure football could apply that reasoning.
Then maybe loyalty schemes like on credit cards mobile phone plans etc .
The buggers at MBNA recently removed my Coventry City emblazoned card for a regular silver boring regular version .

Brighton Sky Blue

Oh dear age and wisdom go together. Will be funny to see how you cringe when you grow up

I haven't spent my time counting likes and going on the wind up. Still I'll always have your appreciation of my handiwork on the Wasps forum

Alex1987

Given most of the club is furloughed (and perhaps short of idea generation), I'd suggest sending any ideas to Dave Body would be well received. I sent him a note on Friday about a sort of membership scheme idea and he responded this morning saying they've been looking into the sort of thing I suggested. He also said any positive suggestions are always welcome from supporters.

robbiekeane

Firstly I don't believe many would be interested enough to pay for U23 games or the like. Secondly we already stream on iFollow for around £5.
You are suggesting 300/400% increase? I don't mind watching on my laptop for a fiver but £20/25? No thanks.
Thirdly this whole idea of BCD's just does not stack up for me. Safety is the presumed priority, and players, officials and a host of others are still required to open a stadium, and ready for a football match. Testing alone would need to be done in those circumstances too, and ist would not be feesable for a number of reasons. Many players too would not be keen on it.
Clutching at straws Otis.
Are you watching from Overseas?

Regardless, i'd say a significant chunk of current users are not and are watching via VPN (I myself was included in that last year). Whilst that's fine when we still have thousands of people turning up for games, it it becomes a forced replacement for going to watch the game then I don't think you can really compare the prices. Know what I mean?

RegTheDonk

Not a legal expert but iFollow have the internet rights for overseas viewers so they are catered for. Sky have broadcast TV rights and are probably better placed to deliver a one way signal to all areas of the UK. I still think exploring a monthly fee to watch a game every day would encourage more people to subscribe and allow clubs a reasonable income. A share of the pot split between all clubs would be a great leveller. Failing that a share based on average gates, while probably disadvantaging us, would be fair.

chiefdave

Not a legal expert but iFollow have the internet rights for overseas viewers so they are catered for. Sky have broadcast TV rights and are probably better placed to deliver a one way signal to all areas of the UK. I still think exploring a monthly fee to watch a game every day would encourage more people to subscribe and allow clubs a reasonable income. A share of the pot split between all clubs would be a great leveller. Failing that a share based on average gates, while probably disadvantaging us, would be fair.
If, and its a very big if, all 4 divisions announce they are going to finish the season BCD you can see what is coming a mile off.

Sky, BT and the BBC will split up the additional PL matches between them so all games are shown live and the PL clubs will get extra money for them to offset the lost ticketing revenue. With all those games available to TV they aren't going to give a shit about showing the other divisions so we'll be left scrambling around hoping to make a few quid on ifollow.

Legia Sky Blue

We would be one of the better off teams or least worse off teams depending on your outlook, in a scenario of a BCD completion of this season, with all games on i follow open to UK viewers as well as those overseas. Given our support base, position in the league and the developing thirst for sporting action our potential take up compared to average home attendance would be much higher than any of our League 1 rivals, and a number of Championship sides too. If marketed well it could offset a decent proportion of the losses expected as a result of BCD games. It's impossible to gauge really but it wouldn't surprise me if we could get up to 20,000 subscribers per match in our current circumstances. If its £5 a match and accounting for the EFL take out, we could potentially cover the lost gate income from playing at St Andrews.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Problem we’ll have is that our fans will be kicking off about the price, demanding it’s reduced to £1 and then bang on about it paying for Joys handbags. Most will then be mooching on the Facebook page looking for streams

Magwitch

I think £20 per household would be popular to be honest, depends who gets the money, is it shared or do each team get their own supporters money. I’m certain we would have twenty thousand+ households tuning in per match home and away.

SlowerThanPlatt

I think £20 per household would be popular to be honest, depends who gets the money, is it shared or do each team get their own supporters money. I’m certain we would have twenty thousand+ households tuning in per match home and away.
How? We wouldn’t even get 20,000 to see the game live in the flesh if it was £5 a ticket at St.Andrews or even at the Ricoh for that matter. Then consider quite a lot of people who are interested in CCFC will also have a family member/s who are interested so there is only the need for one subscription

Liquid Gold

Would normally be paying for my season ticket already so wouldn’t mind that direct debit going to the club in exchange for something.

Legia Sky Blue

It's unlikely for this season you could change the costs, which are set at £5 a match. The money goes to the club you subscribe through so even for away games our money would go to CCFC not the home team. That is why the Accrington Chairman is so pissed off with i follow, as this obviously favours clubs with a bigger support base than theirs. I think I read on here previously that the EFL take a 30% cut with 70% going to the club.

Legia Sky Blue

How? We wouldn’t even get 20,000 to see the game live if it was £5 a ticket at St.Andrews or even at the Ricoh for that matter. Then consider quite a lot of people who are interested in CCFC will also have a family member/s who are interested so there is only the need for one subscription

If this were to happen it wouldn't be £20, it would be £5 and people wouldn't have to leave their front room, never mind venture to St Andrews or the Ricoh, so I think 20,000 is a reasonable guesstimate, particularly given the position we are in at the moment. Additionally people would love to watch live sport right now and a targeted marketing campaign by the club (presuming they still have the large database of fans details previously held) should ensure a decent take up.

Users who are viewing this thread