Retained List (3 Viewers)

Manchester_sky_blue

Wolves have released 12 players. none that I've really heard of though. Would be nice to keep the momentum going and announce a new signing/contract extension quickly while everyone is still on a high. My help flog a few more season tickets.

torchomatic

The following have a year to go and I would extend:

Burge Can't believe I'm saying that, but has made some vital saves.
Hyam - unsung hero
Davies - first choice for me
McDonald - faded a bit during the season, but still a good asset
Willis - not a big fan, but is always there
Biamou - love the guy, big heart and plays for the shirt, chips in when needed
McNulty - a revelation
Andreu - flashes of brilliance and deserves to show what he can do
Kelly - thought he was poor but he has shown his quality

Liquid Gold

The following have a year to go and I would extend:

Burge Can't believe I'm saying that, but has made some vital saves.
Hyam - unsung hero
Davies - first choice for me
McDonald - faded a bit during the season, but still a good asset
Willis - not a big fan, but is always there
Biamou - love the guy, big heart and plays for the shirt, chips in when needed
McNulty - a revelation
Andreu - flashes of brilliance and deserves to show what he can do
Kelly - thought he was poor but he has shown his quality
I think McDonald will move on. He's fallen right out of favour with Robins and there have been rumours of personal issues. Willis, Davies, Hyam and another signing of a higher quality for me.

Manchester_sky_blue

I think McDonald will move on. He's fallen right out of favour with Robins and there have been rumours of personal issues. Willis, Davies, Hyam and another signing of a higher quality for me.
If we keep hold of Willis that is. I think we stand a much better chance of keeping him now we are promoted but would expect there to be some championship interest

Gibbo

Jorge Grant on loan from Forest. Highly rated, i think he will walk in to the Forest first team this season
This has been said before on here

Grant is a local boy here in Witney (like Dom Hyam I believe) and known to my daughter's boyfriend since school days. Barney reckons he has been sent out on loan twice by Forest because they don't think he is good enough for Championship; so not that 'highly rated'. He has quite a lightweight physique and is actually a high scoring midfielder, rather than a striker, so would replace Kelly of Shipley

David O'Day

There is more to him than that, but my question is what is wrong with that when paired alongside a player with McNulty’s traits?

As for better players who you thinking out of curiosity?

Of his 23 goals this season only 9 of his goals were headers, 10 were right footed shots and 3 with his left swinger and 1 penalty

Joint 3rd in L2 for match winning goals in a season finishing joint 6th top goal score in the league

He brings a physical presence, a focal point to a team, a edge at set pieces and importantly goals, all that Exeter got for just 100k last August from Aberdeen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
He brings a dirty league thug style of play. He's also played in 2 finals and elbowed a player in both. Fuck him and his less than stellar above league two goal scoring. We already have better than him

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Gibbo

I know what you mean, they’re whole hearted, but I just don’t think they’re up to it and are never going to be.
I think Haynes has to go also. I’ve really wanted him to succeed. he’s consistently been poor and occasionally been brilliant. I almost don’t understand how he’s been so poor, he clearly has skill and pace. Is it confidence?
But does not have the brain. His positional awareness is dire. I know it is a different position but compare it to Hyam's. Hyam is not all that quick but he is very smart positionally. Haynes vaguely covers the area and hopes he can react fast enough. He never bullies an attacker, which Stokes does.

David O'Day

We want to get promoted again so let's look at signing better players than the likes of Jayden Stockley.

Nick

Administrator
We want to get promoted again so let's look at signing better players than the likes of Jayden Stockley.

Rhead from Lincoln it is.

On that note, will be interesting to see how Akinfenwa does in League 1.

Manchester_sky_blue

This has been said before on here

Grant is a local boy here in Witney (like Dom Hyam I believe) and known to my daughter's boyfriend since school days. Barney reckons he has been sent out on loan twice by Forest because they don't think he is good enough for Championship; so not that 'highly rated'. He has quite a lightweight physique and is actually a high scoring midfielder, rather than a striker, so would replace Kelly of Shipley

Highly rated enough to be given a new and improved 3 year contract at Forest off the back of his performances at County. Technically he has been loaned out twice but both spells were at Notts County.

He's not a unit by any means but he held his own in a physical league this year. Given Forest's problems they would be mad not to at least try him. Even if they were minded to get rid, he is contracted to 2020 and scored 18 goals from midfield this season so hardly going to give him away.

Terry_dactyl

But does not have the brain. His positional awareness is dire. I know it is a different position but compare it to Hyam's. Hyam is not all that quick but he is very smart positionally. Haynes vaguely covers the area and hopes he can react fast enough. He never bullies an attacker, which Stokes does.

One would have thought this tactical awareness could be coached into him.
Hyam looks quality. He was apparently a real prospect at Reading. We did well to get him.
We have some variation at centre back in terms of their attributes.
I’d like to see us sign some alternatives across the team.

steve82

He brings a dirty league thug style of play. He's also played in 2 finals and elbowed a player in both. Fuck him and his less than stellar above league two goal scoring. We already have better than him

Your a hard cookie to please!

Sides need a edge, Doyle’s a thug in your book then by that marker. Stockley is easily able to step up and do the same job and knows where the net is. You cannot have a team of nice players n L1 and we need t be looking at consolidating our position in the league before anything else, the top 10 will be hard to breaking into itself.

Many always felt James Hanson was the type we needed, Stockley is a better footballer than him and he made a great long career doing it and scoring.

Who else do you think is capable of taking us to the next level?

Liquid Gold

One would have thought this tactical awareness could be coached into him.
Hyam looks quality. He was apparently a real prospect at Reading. We did well to get him.
We have some variation at centre back in terms of their attributes.
I’d like to see us sign some alternatives across the team.
I'm friends with a Reading season ticket holder and he said Hyam was thought of as ok there but nothing special whereas Josh Barrett was supposed to be a future superstar.

Liquid Gold

Your a hard cookie to please!

Sides need a edge, Doyle’s a thug in your book then by that marker. Stockley is easily able to step up and do the same job and knows where the net is. You cannot have a team of nice players n L1 and we need t be looking at consolidating our position in the league before anything else, the top 10 will be hard to breaking into itself.

Many always felt James Hanson was the type we needed, Stockley is a better footballer than him and he made a great long career doing it and scoring.

Who else do you think is capable of taking us to the next level?

I don't know much about the Scottish leagues but if Exeter managed to pick up Stockley from there then there must be similar for cheaper than we'd be able to get him for.

steve82

I know it was a tongue in cheek comment but imagine the rage if we did sign him.

L1 still has a place for a target man with a few in the league.

I’d imagine Akinfenwa will only play select games but another twist is Gareth Ainsworth is heavily linked with Barnsley. In all fairness he’s taken them as far as he could.

Terry_dactyl

I'm friends with a Reading season ticket holder and he said Hyam was thought of as ok there but nothing special whereas Josh Barrett was supposed to be a future superstar.

Really? I read an article, possibly posted on here when he signed, that had Hyam in a list of the top youngsters to ‘keep an eye on’ outside the prem/in the championship.
Barratt’s an odd one. I still thought he showed flashes of being decent but on whole was woeful for us. Was he actually just unfit? If so, why did we get him in?

Terry Gibson's perm

Depends if he can take his refs with him, I am sure he gets into these teams of the year because he is easily remembered

Liquid Gold

Really? I read an article, possibly posted on here when he signed, that had Hyam in a list of the top youngsters to ‘keep an eye on’ outside the prem/in the championship.
Barratt’s an odd one. I still thought he showed flashes of being decent but on whole was woeful for us. Was he actually just unfit? If so, why did we get him in?
He said they were gutted when we got him on loan as there are calls to get him in the first team (Barrett that is). He's gutted about my reports of him.

Evo1883

I would do whatever I could to sign either Stockley or rhead, I don’t even care what fans think they are damn good players

rob9872

I think some of the players that are being dismissed on here (Barrett, Maguire-Drew and JCH) have suffered from a lack of regular game time. With a good pre-season and a few games under their belt, then all three could (imo) be among those that step up best into L1, but granted he'll want to freshen things up a little as always nice for a couple of new faces in the squad and they are non-contract. Expect JCH to stay though. Personally I'd keep anyone from this season who is happy. No room for sentiment, but fantastic bond that appears genuine and as long as none of them are derailing that by being unhappy if not in the team etc then I'd retain almost all.

There are a couple of areas that I'd perhaps like to see more competition, but again don't want to change the balance and Jones/Andreu will be like new signings. LB was the biggest concern for me, particularly when Stokes first came back in as looked unfit, but now looks sharp again and the last few games has been immense - so much stronger than Haynes, but perhaps not as quick or as good going forward, although Haynes worries me all the time as a defender. I do think we need another Doyle type leader/enforcer. HE keeps himself incredibly fit but a league higher and a heavy fixture list being a year older, you'd have to question whether he could do it Saturday/Tuesday/Saturday so may need to be more selective with his games.

Manchester_sky_blue

I think some of the players that are being dismissed on here (Barrett, Maguire-Drew and JCH) have suffered from a lack of regular game time. With a good pre-season and a few games under their belt, then all three could (imo) be among those that step up best into L1, but granted he'll want to freshen things up a little as always nice for a couple of new faces in the squad and they are non-contract. Expect JCH to stay though. Personally I'd keep anyone from this season who is happy. No room for sentiment, but fantastic bond that appears genuine and as long as none of them are derailing that by being unhappy if not in the team etc then I'd retain almost all.

There are a couple of areas that I'd perhaps like to see more competition, but again don't want to change the balance and Jones/Andreu will be like new signings. LB was the biggest concern for me, particularly when Stokes first came back in as looked unfit, but now looks sharp again and the last few games has been immense - so much stronger than Haynes, but perhaps not as quick or as good going forward, although Haynes worries me all the time as a defender. I do think we need another Doyle type leader/enforcer. HE keeps himself incredibly fit but a league higher and a heavy fixture list being a year older, you'd have to question whether he could do it Saturday/Tuesday/Saturday so may need to be more selective with his games.

Isn't that what we signed Westbrook for? To fill in for Doyle as required.

rob9872

Isn't that what we signed Westbrook for? To fill in for Doyle as required.
No idea mate - people have raved about him on here, but tbh I've never seen him play so can't comment.

covcity4life

think mcnulty will stay as he is loved here and in great form and is also moving up a level

that said hes scottish so if rangers and gerrard come in for him he would probably be off

rob9872

think mcnulty will stay as he is loved here and in great form and is also moving up a level

that said hes scottish so if rangers and gerrard come in for him he would probably be off
That's one place he definitely won't go - his family would disown him!

rob9872

beat me to it!

Users who are viewing this thread