Remaining fixtures (1 Viewer)

skybluelee

The party ended weeks ago, and anyone who thinks different is deluded FACT

I don't think anybody on this thread is saying that we are likely to finish in the top 6, its more a discussion on the scenarios that would need to unfold for it to happen.

IF Barnsley and Gills lose on Saturday and we win THEN the dream becomes more serious imo.

Last edited:

SBAndy

That's a very brave statement! ;)

Barnsley's run-in: Sheff Utd (A), Colchester (H), Wigan (A)

Gillingham's run in: Shrewsbury (H), Burton (A), Millwall (H)

Very real that both could only get 3 points. Add to that our superior GD over the teams 2 points above, and one of them would also have to win all 3. 7 points for them wouldn't be enough.

Not convinced it will pan out that way, of course, but Jesus there's a chance.

stupot07

b8c027b53bf84cf04188cce6338142b9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

mrtrench

I don't get this "too little too late" stuff. Winning five games on the trot would not be too little. It would just be too late.

Otis

b8c027b53bf84cf04188cce6338142b9.jpg

There you go. Bookies are very rarely wrong.

We have a chance, but it's a very slim one and most certainly not a good one.

To suggest that anyone doesn't dream of it happening though is ludicrous!

We all want it to happen. The reality though is a different matter. It's all well and good focusing on Barnsley and Gillingham, but there are also a further 3 teams in front of us too.

We need a 5 team turnaround! ;) 6 if you include the requirement of our winning a further 3 games in a row ourselves.

I just cross my fingers we are still in with a shout after 5 pm Saturday.

Otis

It's all well and good focusing on Barnsley and Gillingham, but there are also a further 3 teams in front of us too.

We need a 5 team turnaround!
But we don't. If we win all 3 then one of them has to win all 3.
Eh? But we do. :)

We need to do better than 5 teams, so a 5 team turnaround. We need those 3 teams immediately above us to do less than win 3 games in a row. :)

They win 3 games in a row then we can't make it whatever we do.

That's what I mean. We need a change in fortunes in terms of us achieving better than the 5 teams in front of us. :)

smileycov

Facebook User
I think you are softening Otis!!!

So if we do win on Saturday and say Sheff Utd win and Scunny n Dale draw or loose.......Will you agree with me that we can probably do it still?

Otis

So if we do win on Saturday and say Sheff Utd win and Scunny n Dale draw or loose.......Will you agree with me that we can probably do it still?
Oh yes, for sure. If we beat Doncaster and Sheff Utd beat Barnsley and Gillingham fail to win and Rochdale and Scunthorpe don't win either, that increases our chances immeasurably.

I would have so much more belief if that happens and can you just imagine the crowd then for the home game against Sheff Utd? It would be a big crowd for sure and will almost feel like a winner takes all game.

Let's hope by 5 PM Saturday our chances have immeasurably increased.

Don't forget Gillingham in all this. If all what you mention happens on Saturday AND
Shrewsbury beat Gillingham (Shrewsbury by the way haven't won since they beat us in early March),
then the table (from 6th down) "could" look like this 5pm Saturday. Even with this, 6th place still not probable but certainly possible!

Team Played Points

Gillingham 44 69
Barnsley 44 69
Sheff Utd 44 68
Coventry 44 66
Rochdale 44 66
Scunthorpe 44 66

We can only dream but if it does happen it would make our home game against Sheff Utd very interesting.

Captain Dart

Last 6 form

Scunthorpe 13pts
Sheff Utd 13pts
Bradford 13pts
Barnsley 11pts
Rochdale 11pts
Port Vale 7pts
City 7pts
Gillingham 6pts

Otis

Last 6 form

Scunthorpe 13pts
Sheff Utd 13pts
Bradford 13pts
Barnsley 11pts
Rochdale 11pts
Port Vale 7pts
City 7pts
Gillingham 6pts
Ah, but you're forgetting we are going to win 5in a row!!

We've been talking about it all season long and now at last it is finally going to happen for sure!

st john

I don't think it is people throwing in the towel, they are just being realistic.

Sorry Nick but IMO it has nothing to be with being realistic or not. The bookies have us currently at 50.1 to make top 6. Have you ever seen a horse win a race at those odds?
I have.
I don't personally think we can do it now because I think winning 3 in a row is too much to ask on top of back to back wins. but it's not impossible, realistic or not.

Last edited:

RegTheDonk

Leicester were 5,000 to 1 to win the Premier League at the start of the season

Speaking of that, some guy at work was on about a Fester fan who stood to win half a million if this happened...but the bookies offered him £70K a while back and he dealt. Don't know how true it is, would have been nice to have been offered that though...makes our current 50-1 odds look very cheapskate of the bookies.

st john

Remember 1985 Stoke/Luton/Everton

Yes, they went into the stoke game 8 points behind with 3 to play when all other fixtures were completed IIRC.
I can remember all the games, just can't remember why we so late finishing the season.
#edit. I remember everyone, everyone saying we were going down that season

Last edited:

Houdi

It's all well and good focusing on Barnsley and Gillingham, but there are also a further 3 teams in front of us too.

We need a 5 team turnaround!
Eh? But we do. :)

We need to do better than 5 teams, so a 5 team turnaround. We need those 3 teams immediately above us to do less than win 3 games in a row. :)

They win 3 games in a row then we can't make it whatever we do.

That's what I mean. We need a change in fortunes in terms of us achieving better than the 5 teams in front of us. :)

Actually no we don't. If we win all 3 games unlikely I admit ,then we will definitely finish above Sheff Utd as we have to play them. If you look at it like that we are nearly odds on.

Otis

Yes, they went into the stoke game 8 points behind with 3 to play when all other fixtures were completed IIRC.
I can remember all the games, just can't remember why we so late finishing the season.
#edit. I remember everyone, everyone saying we were going down that season
Yes indeed. Big, big difference here though. Back then it was all down to us. Win the last 3 games, stay up.

This is our having to win 3 games plus Gillingham failing and Barnsley failing and Scunthorpe failing and Rochdale failing.

Big difference. Then it was in our hands, this time it is not.

smileycov

Facebook User
Don't forget Gillingham in all this. If all what you mention happens on Saturday AND
Shrewsbury beat Gillingham (Shrewsbury by the way haven't won since they beat us in early March),
then the table (from 6th down) "could" look like this 5pm Saturday. Even with this, 6th place still not probable but certainly possible!

Team Played Points

Gillingham 44 69
Barnsley 44 69
Sheff Utd 44 68
Coventry 44 66
Rochdale 44 66
Scunthorpe 44 66

We can only dream but if it does happen it would make our home game against Sheff Utd very interesting.
I think Gillingham will win on Saturday, but I think they will lose away at Burton and home to Millwall

stupot07

Yes indeed. Big, big difference here though. Back then it was all down to us. Win the last 3 games, stay up.

This is our having to win 3 games plus Gillingham failing and Barnsley failing and Scunthorpe failing and Rochdale failing.

Big difference. Then it was in our hands, this time it is not.
Also, when we were winning to avoud relrgation, you're competing for league position against teams that are struggling for points, so you put a run together its very unlikely one of your rivals will.

We're hoping for a 5 game winning steak and a load of teams who are in form picking up 1.5-2 points per game, so you're hoping they all drop form.

As Otis says it is possible but improbable, and certainly not a good chance of it happen, more like an outside chance. Lets just focus on Doncaster, rather than getting over excited.

Nothing wrong with dreaming, but I'm sure no one will be queing up at the bookies to stick big money on us doing it.

Last edited:

Otis

Also, when we were winning to avoud relrgation, you're competing for league position against teams that are struggling for points, so you put a run together its very unlikely one of your rivals will.

We're hoping for a 5 game winning steak and a load of teams who are in form picking up 1.5-2 points per game, so you're hoping they all drop form.

As Otis says it is possible but improbable, and certainly not a good chance of it happen, more like an outside chance. Lets just focus on Doncaster, rather than getting over excited.

Yep. That is a massive, massive game. Doncaster have to win. Even a draw might not be enough to save them. They are 5 points behind the teams outsides the drop zone.

Must win surely. Must win for us too, mind.

Should be a great atmosphere.

harvey098

It's obviously not going to happen but it would be nice to go into the last home game with it still meaning something, speaking as a st holder who is going to have to go whatever happens tomorrow

smileycov

Facebook User
It's obviously not going to happen but it would be nice to go into the last home game with it still meaning something, speaking as a st holder who is going to have to go whatever happens tomorrow

Nope, sorry can not accept the Obviously not going to happen bit!! You don't know that.

Pipehitterz

getting aheadache reading all these permitations lol

it'll be just like city to get 2 wins and sneak into the top 6 then lose at oldham and slip back out
and just as likely we lose all 3 games and all look stupid AGAIN for supporting this doomed team

been a better season than most, and hoping for a better go of it next year, but fuck me city dont half fuck with the mind dont they

Otis

getting aheadache reading all these permitations lol

it'll be just like city to get 2 wins and sneak into the top 6 then lose at oldham and slip back out
and just as likely we lose all 3 games and all look stupid AGAIN for supporting this doomed team

been a better season than most, and hoping for a better go of it next year, but fuck me city dont half fuck with the mind dont they
Coventry City are Bullseye!

'Ere, come and have a look at what you could have won.'

st john

Nothing wrong with dreaming, but I'm sure no one will be queing up at the bookies to stick big money on us doing it.

Quite right, there is only an outside chance, but still a chance.
That's my position against people saying there is no chance, can't happen, lets now play the youngsters ready for next season, sack Mowbray now, etc. etc. etc.
While there is still a mathematical chance we should work on the basis it might happen and give the team some morale support, not keep using words like deluded, unrealistic, season finished end of.
Leave the inquest until the season really is over.

skybluesam66

this time last week we were 11 points off the play offs
now we are only 6

It will really need an amazing weekend of results to keep us in there with a realistic chance but just if we won and doncaster and barnsley lose, then it becomes exciting

Otis

Quite right, there is only an outside chance, but still a chance.
That's my position against people saying there is no chance, can't happen, lets now play the youngsters ready for next season, sack Mowbray now, etc. etc. etc.
While there is still a mathematical chance we should work on the basis it might happen and give the team some morale support, not keep using words like deluded, unrealistic, season finished end of.
Leave the inquest until the season really is over.
So 5 O'clock tomorrow night then?

;)

Users who are viewing this thread