Remaining fixtures (1 Viewer)

Otis

so not improbable then?
Yes, improbable. We weren't just talking about this weekend's fixtures, smiley, but the last 3 games.

We have to win ALL 3 games and Gillingham AND Barnsley BOTH have to get 3 points or less from 3 games each.

We also have to better the 3 teams just ahead of us too.

If that is not improbable, then I don't know what is.

Otis

I just can't see how anyone can say that what is needed is anything but improbable. Baffles me as to why anyone would say anything different, smiley.

Fine to still dream and have hope it all falls in place, but that is just fanciful thinking and the reality is that it needs an incredible string of events to take place.

Gillingham and Barnsley can both only win once out of their last 3 games and if they do win 1 of the 3 they have to lose both the other 2.

We also have to win all 3 games.

johnwillomagic

We will not beat Donny away I am pretty confident of that - we may scrape a draw but it will not be enough.....
it is too little too late, that being said we should still be pushing for three wins regardless to end the season in
a positive fashion.

Otis

We will not beat Donny away I am pretty confident of that - we may scrape a draw but it will not be enough.....
it is too little too late, that being said we should still be pushing for three wins regardless to end the season in
a positive fashion.
Doncaster pretty much have to win. Would therefore say a draw would be a great result for us. That would then make for an excellent little run of results (2 wins and a draw).

johnwillomagic

Don't disagree Otis but 7 will definitely not be enough for play offs tbh I don't think 9 will be enough personally.
If we do manage to beat Donny and results all go our way highly unlikely I may let my guard slip and get slightly excited.....

Gazolba

All the teams above us but below 6th, have better records than us over the last 3 games. All have won at least 2 out of their last 3 games (Scunthorpe won all 3) and none have lost a game. The only team to have lost one of their last 3 games is us. Gillingham (6th) are on a terrible run and have not won in 5 games, so they are very vulnerable. But to expect us to overhaul the four teams above us and Gillingham would require a complete reversal of form for the four clubs above us, and Gillingham to continue their poor run. But regardless of all this we will have to win all of our remaining games, and preferably by enough goals that we exceed Gillingham's goal difference (currently 18 to our 16).

Last edited:

Otis

All the teams above us but below 6th, have better records than us over the last 3 games. All have won at least 2 out of their last 3 games (Scunthorpe won all 3) and none have lost a game. The only team to have lost one of their last 3 games is us. Gillingham (6th) are on a terrible run and have not won in 5 games, so they are very vulnerable. But to expect us to overhaul the four teams above us and Gillingham would require a complete reversal of form for the four clubs above us, and Gillingham to continue their poor run. But regardless of all this we will have to win all of our remaining games, and preferably by enough goals that we exceed Gillingham's goal difference (currently 18 to our 16).
Yeah. Piece of piss isn't it! ;)

smileycov

Facebook User
I just can't see how anyone can say that what is needed is anything but improbable. Baffles me as to why anyone would say anything different, smiley.

Fine to still dream and have hope it all falls in place, but that is just fanciful thinking and the reality is that it needs an incredible string of events to take place.

Gillingham and Barnsley can both only win once out of their last 3 games and if they do win 1 of the 3 they have to lose both the other 2.

We also have to win all 3 games.
Why does it baffle you? Are you not a fan, are we not allowed to dream and hope!! I have never said we are nailed on and i fully appreciate how difficult it will be, however we differ because while there is a chance i will still look positively to that. Looking at Gillingham's last games i can most definitely see them losing both. I look at Barnsley and feel strongly that Sheff U can beat them on Saturday.If that happens then winning our last 3 means Sheff are out of it and Barnsley have to go to Wigan to get a result!! . Scunthorpe have 2 difficult away games, they only have to slip up once and we are above them. So not impossible and certainly not requiring a miracle. CAN WE NOT JUST AGREE TO DISAGREE AND YOU STOP PISSING ON MY CHIPS LOL!!

Last edited:

st john

Why does it baffle you? Are you not a fan, are we not allowed to dream and hope!! I have never said we are nailed on and i fully appreciate how difficult it will be, however we differ because while there is a chance i will still look positively to that. Looking at Gillingham's last games i can most definitely see them losing both. I look at Barnsley and feel strongly that Sheff U can beat them on Saturday.If that happens then winning our last 3 means Sheff are out of it and Barnsley have to go to Wigan to get a result!! . Scunthorpe have 2 difficult away games, they only have to slip up once and we are above them. So not impossible and certainly not requiring a miracle. CAN WE NOT JUST AGREE TO DISAGREE AND YOU STOP PISSING ON MY CHIPS LOL!!
I agree strongly with this very good post.
What baffles me is why people who say they ae supporters would throw in the towel when there is a chance, no matter how remote, that we could make it.

Nick

Administrator
What baffles me is why people who say they ae supporters would throw in the towel when there is a chance, no matter how remote, that we could make it.

I don't think it is people throwing in the towel, they are just being realistic.

bawtryneal

I don't think it is people throwing in the towel, they are just being realistic.

But isn`t dreaming about your team winning the league, getting promoted, going to Wembley etc etc a major part of being a football fan. For me that`s the whole point. I am 55 and have being following the Sky Blues for 50 years. Every year i dream its our turn and in 1987 it was. I still dream we will get promoted this season. Will we, probably not, but i still dream.

Donny Rovers on Saturday.Local game for me. If we win we send them down, fantastic !!!!

covcity4life

exactly. the realistic ones in this forum would have left at half time in instanbul if they were liverpool fans no doubt!

smileycov

Facebook User
But isn`t dreaming about your team winning the league, getting promoted, going to Wembley etc etc a major part of being a football fan. For me that`s the whole point. I am 55 and have being following the Sky Blues for 50 years. Every year i dream its our turn and in 1987 it was. I still dream we will get promoted this season. Will we, probably not, but i still dream.

Donny Rovers on Saturday.Local game for me. If we win we send them down, fantastic !!!!

When was the last time we was in a position to do that ha ha! we are normally trying to save ourselves.

Otis

Abso bloody lutely! Spot on. It's just realism. Fine to hope we can do it, but we have to accept that it is the very slimmest of slim chances.

I too of course will be rooting on Saturday for Gillingham to lose and for Barnsley to lose and for Scunthorpe to lose and for Rochdale to lose and for us to win.

When you just say that out loud to yourself though you totally realise that's an awful bloody lot to ask for!! :)

And therefore, improbable. Don't see how anyone can argue with that assumption. ,:)

And that's my beef with you, smiley. You said there is a 'good chance.'

The scenario we are needing is not a 'good' chance. It's improbable. It's an incredibly slim chance.

Last edited:

covcity4life

dont chat shit otis or you will get banged

no one is asking you to dream, but you feel the need to post to everyone who does.

its very improbable. so what? until 5pm Saturday its also possible.

smileycov

Facebook User
But again i disagree!! Is it really unthinkable that Sheff Utd at home wont beat Barnsley? Rochdale and Scunny both have tough away games, a draw in both would suit us. Is that unthinkable given the games? I personalty think Gills will win on Saturday, it is there last 2 i feel they will loose. Of course that leaves us with a difficult game, but basing it on the sudden winning mentality we have re discovered.....it is not un realistic.

skybluesam66

Makes me wonder if we needed 6 points to avoid the drop with 3 to play people would just think "fuck it...we're down."...

Remember 1985 Stoke/Luton/Everton
Remember 1997 We win/ Sunderland and Boro lose
Remember 1977 Perfect set of results

never say never (at least until 5pm on saturday when this thread will probably go the same way as the graph that was being updated until xmas)

bawtryneal

That`s what makes it such a great game Just look at Leicester this season. Think of the despair though when Spurs win the league

Football Promotion and Relegation Calculator - http://www.thefishy.co.uk/calc.php

As unlikely and unrealistic it is, I like the look of this final league table based on us winning our last 3 games and the calculator predicting all other scores based on current form.

PosTeamPGDPts
1Wigan46+3586
2Burton Albion46+1681
3Millwall46+2179
4Walsall46+1577
5Bradford46+874
6Coventry46+2072
7Gillingham46+1572
8Barnsley46+1172
9Sheffield Utd46+1271
10Port Vale46+471
11Rochdale46+768

Captain Dart

If you expect little & get something its great, if you expect a lot and get nothing its rubbish.

covcity4life

if we win there is a chance we could be 3-5pts off playoffs ith 2 games to go. chances of top 6 would increase lol

lets just focus on beating donny. right now i think it will be 1-1 draw

Otis

dont chat shit otis or you will get banged

no one is asking you to dream, but you feel the need to post to everyone who does.

its very improbable. so what? until 5pm Saturday its also possible.
Yep, but I'm not worried about that because I am winning the Euro Millions on Friday

skybluelee

There is an outside chance Millwall and Gillingham could play each other on the last day both with 72 points... Our goal difference will be better than both if we go into the last game on 69 points.

We've probably got a 2-3% chance of the playoffs

Bizarrely that is exactly the chance I gave us when I was mulling it over on my to work. I reckoned there was about a 1 in 10 chance that neither Barnsely and Gillingham would get to beyond 72 points and about a 1 in 4 chance of us wining our next 3. Which by my maths is 2.5%.

Still need to believe whilst mathematically we can still make it.

covcity4life

Yep, but I'm not worried about that because I am winning the Euro Millions on Friday

you are? that sounds like you are assuming something highly improbable

you really dont get what dreaming about football success is do you? so sad

Otis

you are? that sounds like you are assuming something highly improbable

you really dont get what dreaming about football success is do you? so sad
No I don't, of course I don't!

I really hope we lose our last 3 games and that Barnsley and Gillingham keep on winning. I will be totally devastated for sure if we now make the play-offs.

I never, ever dream we can do anything at all. Totally didn't dream we would win the FA Cup, didn't dream we would go back up when we went down to the Championship and didn't dream we would get promoted from League One.

Captain Dart

I don't want to share it. :mad:

skybluetony176

If we win all 3 we will get into the playoffs.

I don't think it guarantees it at all. 5th and 6th last season finished with 69 & 71 points. 5th & 6th already have that.

I don't think people appreciate how tight the top of the league is this season. Even if Wigan win their renaming games they'll still be 9 points short of last seasons champions. It's a far far tougher league this season than previous especially for a playoff place. We need to win our remaining games and have a huge slice of luck. It ain't over to the fat lady sings and all that but still don't count your chickens until your eggs have hatched. It isn't in our hands until it falls from others first.

Users who are viewing this thread