Refereeing (2 Viewers)

wingy

No football for the foreseeable in Turkey after this,on sky they also cited a fan recently dying in France, assume as the result of crime and also cited a recent volley ball match in Greece.šŸ¤”
Ā 

shmmeee

I think the top level salaries and grassroots match fees are ok and donā€™t stop people from getting involved
Itā€™s a hugely competitive field to attract young people into the profession to maximise the numbers at grassroots so the experts can rise to the top from an ever increasing pool rather than an ever decreasing pool

so what can investment provide and what is the problem?

The problem for me is more people give up than take up officiating annually, reduces the pool top officials come from leading to inconsistent performances

Thereā€™s probably something more here about why people give up? Some get bored, some only wanted to earn a bit of money outside of education / university, intimidation or abuse. Are there more?

Also is it true that our top refs are inconsistent evidentially?

Its absolutely true that media and top managers are putting greater emphasis on how decisions affect their professional lives

The second statement doesnā€™t make the first statement true

The only thing fa and those involved in football can do anything about is abuse in terms of officials staying in the game? Thatā€™s what I think, what do others?

If Iā€™m correct in my assumptions money isnā€™t the issue itā€™s top level behaviour and how this is dealt with and how this filters down to lower levels of the game and probably ensuring that expectations are high and amy stepping out of them is dealt with consistently and clearly

Most managers at the top level have families, manage relationships and behave appropriately in all areas of their lives. When it comes to football some managers and players do not and behave like spoilt children.(haalandā€™s reaction to advantage)

At the top level (apart from in Turkey!!!) youā€™d never see physical assaults but we all know that there is an escalation process from mild disagreement through to beating the hell out of someone

Iā€™m certain behaviour at the top level impacts the abuse grassroots ref receive.

Iā€™m also certain that transactional analysis is real and actions and behaviours of refs draws or repels behaviour from those in the game

So use of sin bin, yc, rc, bans, communicating and explaining etc etc

As a dad of a 15-16 year old a majority of coaches and players from u12 up to adult football have been brilliant

What lets down grassroots football is a minority of those adults involved (parents and coaches) lose their mind when it comes to football.

So solution to the problem is nuanced and multi faceted

Better initial training for new refs
Mentors and sponsors for all u18 refs
Promotion pathways to encourage and raise expectations
Ongoing mandatory development not just for some but for all
Respect agenda meaning something in youth football
Parents acting like adults
Coaches acting like adults
Adults acting like adults
Transparency of decision making in private not public
Full strategy involving all parts of our game to identify problem/s, brainstorm solutions and take the game forward together.

I keep seeing football canā€™t happen without officials but officials donā€™t have a role without football so it cuts both ways. We donā€™t want kids and adults being assaulted and verbally intimidated but also we donā€™t want games ruined with crazy changes to the game without discussion or wrong decisions not being identified and reduced and learned from

Gosh Iā€™m boring

Across society itā€™s these people that ruin it. Can you not have harsh sanctions for it?
Ā 

Adge

Horrific scenes in Turkey last night but it was just a matter of time unfortunately. Lots of County FAā€™s are piloting the body cams which is a welcome addition at my level and hopefully becomes mandatory. But this was the top League in Turkey, on Television for all to see, the President of a club, not some twat with a hangover Sunday morning at the memorial park. Unbelievable! šŸ˜”
Ā 

duffer

About time some of it filtered more into refereeing then, if so much rides on their decision making.

The fallacy here is that refs are useless.

That's propagated by the endless focus on every contentious decision by men-children who've generally never done the job at any level and are analysing from the comfort of an armchair with endless slow motion.

If you choose to tie your living or sense of self worth to a game of inches, deflections, and subjective decisions, where blatant cheating becomes acceptable 'gamesmanship', then crying when *sometimes* it doesn't go your way because one bloke made an honest mistake, seems like poor form to me.
Ā 

Brighton Sky Blue

The fallacy here is that refs are useless.

That's propagated by the endless focus on every contentious decision by men-children who've generally never done the job at any level and are analysing from the comfort of an armchair with endless slow motion.

If you choose to tie your living or sense of self worth to a game of inches, deflections, and subjective decisions, where blatant cheating becomes acceptable 'gamesmanship', then crying when *sometimes* it doesn't go your way because one bloke made an honest mistake, seems like poor form to me.
Ordinarily would agree, but at the higher levels clubs are billion or hundred million pound businesses and the outcome of games can be worth millions also. So it does make sense to funnel more in to support those having to arbiter the games.

Also never said refs are useless and I did at least do it myself for years.
Ā 

SkyBlueSoul

"I slapped him and it wasn't that serious"

Quote from the Ankaragucu president before he eventually resigned. Meanwhile, it's been confirmed the ref has a fractured eye socket.
Ā 

Ricketts

"I slapped him and it wasn't that serious"

Quote from the Ankaragucu president before he eventually resigned. Meanwhile, it's been confirmed the ref has a fractured eye socket.
Hopefully a long jail term for the scrote, and hos team relegated. Ridiculous to penalise all football though.
Ā 

shmmeee

What do we think today? Thought he was OK bar a few things, should have sent their No 2 off for a second yellow at least once, had a habit of turning his back on play and missed some blatant fouls as a result, and for some reason didnā€™t let MvE on for about five minutes.
Ā 

Brighton Sky Blue

Thought he let a lot go that shouldnā€™t have, but would then also award fouls that werenā€™t. A 5/10 performance
Ā 

slowpoke

Thought the ref wasnā€™t too bad, apparently first championship game for 18 months and a tough one.
Ā 

shmmeee

Thought he let a lot go that shouldnā€™t have, but would then also award fouls that werenā€™t. A 5/10 performance

Did seem to give them a freekick just because they asked for one a couple of times.

PL or ex PL players really are whiny bitches.
Ā 

Great_Expectations

The COH pen?

Not seen it back, but in real time (and the heat of the game!) it seemed pretty stonewall?

If so, linesmen has to take a lot of slack heā€™d have had a good view. But as always, they are generally pointless.
Ā 

shmmeee

The COH pen?

Not seen it back, but in real time (and the heat of the game!) it seemed pretty stonewall?

If so, linesmen has to take a lot of slack heā€™d have had a good view. But as always, they are generally pointless.

Donā€™t think it was just cos the players didnā€™t respond at all.
Ā 

Frostie

Thought he was good. Easyish game to referee (if there is such a thing), 2 teams who wanted to play & not too much contentious to deal with.

for some reason didnā€™t let MvE on for about five minutes.

That's the law. If a player needs treatment they have to leave the field for a minimum of 30 seconds.
Ā 

shmmeee

Thought he was good. Easyish game to referee (if there is such a thing), 2 teams who wanted to play & not too much contentious to deal with.

That's the law. If a player needs treatment they have to leave the field for a minimum of 30 seconds.

That law didnā€™t apply to their players it seems.
Ā 

Tomh111

I've been trying to find a replay of it, but I though Smallbone went in two footed on Tatsu and he didn't even give a foul?

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
Ā 

robbiethemole

Smallbone assaulted Tatsu not tackled him, his foot was off the ground and studs were showing, which bits of that isn't a red??
COH was taken out in the box right in front of us, block 28, and the ref did'nt want to know, overall a right tosser
Ā 

no_loyalty

I've been trying to find a replay of it, but I though Smallbone went in two footed on Tatsu and he didn't even give a foul?

Yes it looked a bad challenge but would like to see it again.
Ā 

no_loyalty

At least MVE got a bit of revenge for him.
Ā 

AngryAnt

The COH pen?

Sitting in Block 21, looked clear as day, their player was holding him back from the ball and wouldn't let go. Ref didn't want to know about it and the linesman don't seem to want to raise their flag anymore for anything.
Ā 

skyblue_55

Too many ā€˜ professional fouls ā€˜ last night from their lot , reminded me of Burnley ā€¦ā€¦ ā€œ we lose the ball , but donā€™t let them past ā€œ scenario & a useless/spineless ref
Ā 

Sky Blue Pete

What do we think today? Thought he was OK bar a few things, should have sent their No 2 off for a second yellow at least once, had a habit of turning his back on play and missed some blatant fouls as a result, and for some reason didnā€™t let MvE on for about five minutes.
30 secs itā€™s the law for a treated player
Thought he was ok myself with a couple of strange ones
He let some things go and then picked up on others in terms of fouls or throw ins or where free kicks were from
Wouldnā€™t have deserved a punch from anyone I donā€™t think tonight
Ā 

pusbccfc

Did ok. He let go a lot of silly 'dark arts'. Don't think Southampton took a throw or free kick from the correct place once all night.

We did a bit of time wasting and he didn't penalise us.

Penalty call was wrong but he'll never give it if O'Hare doesn't throw himself to the floor. In real time, he's probably thought he slipped.
Ā 

Sky Blue Pete

Did ok. He let go a lot of silly 'dark arts'. Don't think Southampton took a throw or free kick from the correct place once all night.

We did a bit of time wasting and he didn't penalise us.

Penalty call was wrong but he'll never give it if O'Hare doesn't throw himself to the floor. In real time, he's probably thought he slipped.
Pleased mve wasnā€™t hurt
Ā 

Users who are viewing this thread