Refereeing (2 Viewers)

clint van damme

Bet he leaves his seat in the dressing room proper tidy

Definitely. I saw the Japanes teams dressing room at the world cup and Kyogo at Celtic picking up some litter as he walked off the pitch.

I'd give my right arm to have that sort of culture here, instead we've got McDonald's wrappers and nitrous cannisters fucking everywhere

fatso

Definitely. I saw the Japanes teams dressing room at the world cup and Kyogo at Celtic picking up some litter as he walked off the pitch.

I'd give my right arm to have that sort of culture here, instead we've got McDonald's wrappers and nitrous cannisters fucking everywhere
The Japanese (in general) do seem to have far more pride and respect.
As a nation we could learn a lot from them.

Legia Sky Blue

Swansea had plainly struggled at defending set pieces before our game, and had obviously decided to test how far they could push the ref with blatant blocking and shirt tugging to counter that. Once it became obvious he wasn't going to penalise them their tactics became more and more blatant. I remember a replay showing one such corner where Thomas managed to get his head on the ball but couldn't direct it due to an obvious shirt pull, where the ref was looking directly at the incident with a clear view. Ironically the only time he did blow up from a corner was to give a foul against us after we had a run of corners, which then took the pressure off him as much as the Swansea defence.

blunted

Swansea had plainly struggled at defending set pieces before our game, and had obviously decided to test how far they could push the ref with blatant blocking and shirt tugging to counter that. Once it became obvious he wasn't going to penalise them their tactics became more and more blatant. I remember a replay showing one such corner where Thomas managed to get his head on the ball but couldn't direct it due to an obvious shirt pull, where the ref was looking directly at the incident with a clear view. Ironically the only time he did blow up from a corner was to give a foul against us after we had a run of corners, which then took the pressure off him as much as the Swansea defence.
Spot on, although Sheaf did a blatant push on their player in the area right at the end.

skybluecam

Pay them more.

Some random googling tells me that “top premier league referees” can earn “up to £70,000”.

That’s ridiculous when players are earning £10m+ a year.

SlowerThanPlatt

Pay them more.

Some random googling tells me that “top premier league referees” can earn “up to £70,000”.

That’s ridiculous when players are earning £10m+ a year.
I mean, it’s not. Footballers are paid by the massive revenues their clubs generate.

skybluecam

It’s a fair wage already IMO! The top ones like Oliver earn £200k.

I think we could with do with increasing it at grassroots to encourage more younger officials
Agreed at grassroots. But I think you want to increase it across the board, so it becomes an attractive career option.

Even L1/2 standard refs should be getting 50/60k+ IMO. It’s a thankless task to be berated for 90 mins by 5, 10, 20,000+ people.

skybluecam

It’s a fair wage already IMO! The top ones like Oliver earn £200k.

I think we could with do with increasing it at grassroots to encourage more younger officials
To add to this, you say 200k is a fair wage but when the premier league brings in £5bn a year you would think referees should see a vaguely significant portion of that money.

After all, on any given weekend there’s only 80 officials (+ VAR) officiating games.

I’ve probably watched too many plane crash docs but that is the profession that should be emulated for roles like these- no blame culture, human resource management, thorough investigations, findings and recommendations when things go wrong. These all cost money, and so do people who are prepared to design, implement and follow them.

hamertime

We could learn Japanese for a start.
A country with historic amnesia. Look what they did when they invaded China if you even have a clue. They also heard Dolphins and chop them up. They gloss over it with these traditions but trust me you wouldn’t want them if they were a big nation.

hamertime

The Japanese (in general) do seem to have far more pride and respect.
As a nation we could learn a lot from them.
In general for a nation 😂😂😂 The ones that sided with hitler and Bombed the yanks in Pear Harbour. Stop watching the last samurai on repeat and learn what they have actually done. Muppet.

Legia Sky Blue

To add to this, you say 200k is a fair wage but when the premier league brings in £5bn a year you would think referees should see a vaguely significant portion of that money.

After all, on any given weekend there’s only 80 officials (+ VAR) officiating games.

I’ve probably watched too many plane crash docs but that is the profession that should be emulated for roles like these- no blame culture, human resource management, thorough investigations, findings and recommendations when things go wrong. These all cost money, and so do people who are prepared to design, implement and follow them.

By what logic would paying refs more money automatically improve their performance levels?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

It’s impossible for referees to be consistent all the time, and even if they were, it would make the game less interesting.
So why not just have them throw a dice to decide which way the decision goes. It'd be interesting.

SBT

So why not just have them throw a dice to decide which way the decision goes. It'd be interesting.
I’m not saying refereeing decisions should be completely random - I’m saying that, much like the players themselves, they’re inconsistent by nature. And therein lies the appeal/intrigue of football as a game.

Sky Blue Pete

By what logic would paying refs more money automatically improve their performance levels?
The only reason is professionalism
Fitness
Continuous professional development
Performance review

At the top level it’s important to do all you can to aid consistency of your decision making and the group

It’s the one thing for me that I don’t understand
Everything else is the 80:20 argument
If there’s 600 decisions made a game and 99% of them are correct (by anyone’s stretch a stunning level of performance) that means you will get 6 decisions wrong
And when you get to 90% performance that’s 60

Legia Sky Blue

The only reason is professionalism
Fitness
Continuous professional development
Performance review

At the top level it’s important to do all you can to aid consistency of your decision making and the group

It’s the one thing for me that I don’t understand
Everything else is the 80:20 argument
If there’s 600 decisions made a game and 99% of them are correct (by anyone’s stretch a stunning level of performance) that means you will get 6 decisions wrong
And when you get to 90% performance that’s 60

SBT

Don't the highlighted already apply, yet poor errors are still made even with VAR. I don't see how paying them more automatically would equate to a better performance.
The more incentives you offer in any job, the greater likelihood you have of attracting better candidates, and the more committed they are to maintaining good performance.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

The more incentives you offer in any job, the greater likelihood you have of attracting better candidates, and the more committed they are to maintaining good performance.
That's the argument politicians use for their pay increases.

Users who are viewing this thread