Referee (1 Viewer)

stupot07

The ref had just about the same view as the camera shows.
Otis as a friend. I hope so being as I've never upset you I maybe one. Pop along to Specsavers old boy.
This is the refs view. It looks as though he's trying to grab the other player rugby tackle style.

0ee670bc00df0a06c6af4bb1e5d471f6.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

This is the refs view. It looks as though he's trying to grab the other player rugby tackle style.

If it was us attacking and it hadn't been given, this would be all over Cov social media "HOW HAS HE NOT GIVEN THAT?!" etc. It's so boring and tiring. All TV analysis, phone in shows geared around their team being 'robbed' on what is a marginal call. All epitomized by the embarrassment that is Arteta and Arsenal this weekend, releasing a statement about a goal that may well have stayed in, possibly may have been a foul, it was soft but 'seen them given'. Funny there was no mention of the red card Havertz 'could' also have been given. Football has been subjective for 150 odd years, it will always be subjective. Accept that some decisions fall into a grey area.

Sky Blue Pete

They're not that subjective, the referee is being asked to apply the rules of the game so it is not completely subjective

I agree that it is in applying the laws of the game that consistency is found
The subjective nature is absolute and dependent on so many things that I’ve only recently become aware of critically supporting my lad with his reffing

Youth or adult
Time of game
Atmosphere of game
Position on the pitch
Your view
What you can credibly argue based on where you are and what’s happened

Then you can get on to

Physicality
Contact
Natural position
Intent
Force

And then you can get on to

Trying to ensure you give all of these consistently over the 90 mins or less

Case in point Sunday two situations my lad likes to allow players to play always looking for an advantage and allowing fair physicality

Free kick edge of box in the middle of the pitch. Lad right next to it. Coach shouts how’s that a free kick and then repeats how’s that a free kick. None of the players complained after the explanation given. Said to the guy next to me one shout ok second shout not ok. He said it was clearly not a free kick. We were as far as you can be away for the side of the pitch my lad and the players right next to it. Is it credible that they were more right than him? Is it objectively or subjectively right and who’s decision is more credible my lad or the coach

Second one last minute 3-3 right winger tussles for ball parents going mad as there was a real tussle. Lad plays on the same lad who jumped up and accepted the session 10 seconds later gets brought down in the box penalty. Again subjective or objective?

Now escalate that to the top standard the only objective discussion is where is the ref and has he seen it? Arteta and O’Neill for me are bringing the game into disrepute and they need to be really careful

The wolves one for me in real time isn’t even controversial
The arsenal one the only subjective decision is the foul the other two aspect were objective it didn’t go out and it wasn’t offside and arteta comes out with it’s embarrassing!!

pusbccfc

From that angle, he should have been sent off then or at least blown for the foul 5/6 seconds early before the Preston player flew his shot wide and then flung himself to the floor.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!

And this is his view of the Simms one in the 73rd min (the defender's already diverted his run and tried to push Simms by this point).

If Simms had gone down and claimed a pen, he'd have probably got it.

1699285527066.png

shepardo01

If it was us attacking and it hadn't been given, this would be all over Cov social media "HOW HAS HE NOT GIVEN THAT?!" etc. It's so boring and tiring. All TV analysis, phone in shows geared around their team being 'robbed' on what is a marginal call. All epitomized by the embarrassment that is Arteta and Arsenal this weekend, releasing a statement about a goal that may well have stayed in, possibly may have been a foul, it was soft but 'seen them given'. Funny there was no mention of the red card Havertz 'could' also have been given. Football has been subjective for 150 odd years, it will always be subjective. Accept that some decisions fall into a grey area.
It has been all over social media, mostly from neutral posters (all over from many different clubs supporters) as a poor decision - from every roughly 10 comments, 8 can't believe a penalty was given.

pusbccfc

robbiethemole

Is there actually any real contact, ie a push or pull back cos it looks like the bloke has stayed on his feet for another 5 seconds and got a shot away before falling down. Look at the Plymouth v Boro one..............full on contact and no foul/pen given

Frostie

Is there actually any real contact, ie a push or pull back cos it looks like the bloke has stayed on his feet for another 5 seconds and got a shot away before falling down. Look at the Plymouth v Boro one..............full on contact and no foul/pen given
This is the whole point of decisions being subjective. Some think there's enough contact to warrant a foul, others don't, you will never get consistency.

As another example, the Havertz tackle. There is enough evidence to award either a yellow or red depending on the refs subjective opinion. Neither will be judged as an error.

The only thing Taylor definitely got objectively wrong is it's either:
A) Advantage+ Yellow Card
B) Penalty+ Red Card
Taylor somehow picked bits of both. I think he was embarrassed that the player made such a mess of the advantage he'd tried to play.

MalcSB

Yes it does look like Fadz is trying to grab the player, but he failed to do so. The striker, unaffected by the heinous action behind him, takes his shot, misses and is rewarded with a penalty. The striker wasn’t denied a goal scoring opportunity, he took it and missed.

Adge

They're not that subjective, the referee is being asked to apply the rules of the game so it is not completely subjective

For those who are interested-here is the official line…..

Decisions will be made to the best of the referee’s ability according to the Laws of the Game and the ‘spirit of the game’ and will be based on the opinion of the referee, who has the discretion to take appropriate action within the framework of the Laws of the Game.

David O'Day

Decisions will be made to the best of the referee’s ability according to the Laws of the Game and the ‘spirit of the game’ and will be based on the opinion of the referee, who has the discretion to take appropriate action within the framework of the Laws of the Game.
so governed by a framework and not subjective? thanks for clearing that up

Brighton Sky Blue

So many words yet so little said

MalcSB

Defines his ability as insufficient then.

Nuskyblue

Well it’s a lot of words to say ‘the referee calls what he sees’.
Calls what he sees is fine by me. Bin VAR, bin endless replays of incidents that cropped up in the sky era with Keys and Grey wanking over minimal contact in the box and declaring it a blatant foul, branding the referee a disgrace which has led us to VAR refereeing games and fucking nauseam which leads us to the same fucking outcome but it takes longer.

Frostie

Taylor given the big game of the weekend
Almost like it was never a 'demotion' in the first place (as I kept saying).

Is it any wonder we have such a shit state of affairs when there is a constant pile on for referees.

Nick

Administrator
Almost like it was never a 'demotion' in the first place (as I kept saying).

Is it any wonder we have such a shit state of affairs when there is a constant pile on for referees.

But they are being piled on because they are awful.

AJB1983

Depends on the offence - and how the laws are interpreted - examples being handball and fouls, so I accept that argument.
But offside should be black and white - not if the linesman ‘thinks’ the player might have been - if they’re not sure then they shouldn’t flag - even more so when there isn’t VAR to correct it.

Sky Blue Pete

100% agree but I think the genie is out
Accept the decisions - check the objective ones quick, goal line tech and offsides but only when it’s foolproof
He ruins it a little with we’ll carry on with 5. Well no the game is called off at 6

Anyway he’s right let the ref and assistants make the decision.

The Philosopher

And this is his view of the Simms one in the 73rd min (the defender's already diverted his run and tried to push Simms by this point).

If Simms had gone down and claimed a pen, he'd have probably got it.

View attachment 32338
This is where a bit of coaching / common sense comes in:

If the ref has given a pen to the other side, particularly a soft one then he’s more likely to award you one of you go down in the box “to level things up”

chiefdave

It’s supposed to be for clear and obvious errors so have replays at normal speed and a time limit on making a decision. If you need more than that it’s not clear and obvious

As for offsides get someone in who understands the maths and allow for a margin of error. The technology just doesn’t allow for the close calls they’re trying to use it for

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

It’s supposed to be for clear and obvious errors so have replays at normal speed and a time limit on making a decision. If you need more than that it’s not clear and obvious

As for offsides get someone in who understands the maths and allow for a margin of error. The technology just doesn’t allow for the close calls they’re trying to use it for
I agreed on the timeframe situation but since heard a really good point on how much excessive pressure that puts on TV companies to get the correct angles, what if the time limits them to only show a couple of angles which aren't great and the refs opinion would be different with another etc. For what it's worth, I completely agree with you, but football fans are so irrational, you can see many examples on this thread. The issue we have is, everyone moaned about 'incompetent' refs because they don't give the exact decisions they would give, we end up with technology to improve it, it weakens the match experience and we still have the exact issue we had before.

Nick

Administrator
I agreed on the timeframe situation but since heard a really good point on how much excessive pressure that puts on TV companies to get the correct angles, what if the time limits them to only show a couple of angles which aren't great and the refs opinion would be different with another etc. For what it's worth, I completely agree with you, but football fans are so irrational, you can see many examples on this thread. The issue we have is, everyone moaned about 'incompetent' refs because they don't give the exact decisions they would give, we end up with technology to improve it, it weakens the match experience and we still have the exact issue we had before.

Shouldn't every stadium using VAR have cameras in the same angles?

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Possibly but that is irrelevant to what angle is best to see an incident as there could be players etc in the way. The impetus is then put on TV companies to provide images in a very time sensitive/high pressured scenario, which inevitably they won't get right every time and then you can get even angrier about the failings.

wingy

Not everything has a transmission or as in the song "the revolution will not be televised
Truth is it's.not the Panacea every one thought it would,bin it

Frostie

But they are being piled on because they are awful.
There needs to be massive improvements for sure but just taking the Anthony Taylor example...

He was deceived by a player diving or, at best, exaggerating contact. He gave what he saw which on first viewing, live & at full speed seemed reasonable.

The VAR, Jared Gillet looks at it, from multiple angles & in slow motion, decides that there was contact & doesn't even ask Taylor to look again. So whose error is it really? VAR's surely? I won't go into the conflicting VAR protocol which enables this.

The press then create false stories that Taylor has been 'demoted' because of it whilst Gillet referees a PL game & the diving player is being lauded as "clever" for deceiving the official... 🤷🏼‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread