Referee Analysis Bristol City (1 Viewer)

Johhny Blue

Not great but will go easy on him because we won.
Played some good advantages.
Wouldn’t let James challenge for the drop ball. Not sure of the current rule but I miss the old drop balls and the yellows that often followed
Palmer / Kelly. Thought Palmer could have easily been given a red and Kelly was unlucky to get a yellow even though he initiated the after the play handbags
The ref seemed flustered for a few minutes after this and made some strange calls including missing a blatant foul on O’Hare
The Bristol yellow for dissent. Not sure if they wanted a pen or a corner and it’s hard to know what the conversation was. Good to see a ref clamp down on this.
The penalty. Good decision though if it had been against us I’m sure the majority would have claimed it was a dive.
Ref seemed to take a lot of strange positions and made a lot of his calls from some distance
Overall rating 6

Evo1883

Wouldn’t let James challenge for the drop ball. Not sure of the current rule but I miss the old drop balls and the yellows that often followed
Palmer / Kelly. Thought Palmer could have easily been given a red and Kelly was unlucky to get a yellow even though he initiated the after the play handbags
The ref seemed flustered for a few minutes after this and made some strange calls including missing a blatant foul on O’Hare
The Bristol yellow for dissent. Not sure if they wanted a pen or a corner and it’s hard to know what the conversation was. Good to see a ref clamp down on this.
The penalty. Good decision though if it had been against us I’m sure the majority would have claimed it was a dive.
Ref seemed to take a lot of strange positions and made a lot of his calls from some distance
Overall rating 6
Fair assessment

Hobo

I thought the ref had a good game and tried to play it advatange when he could.

Two yellows for the handbags was right call in my book.

SAJ

Overall rating 6
You haven’t been able to contest a drop ball for 2 years now. The rules of the game were changed in 2019 so you can hardly criticise him for playing to the rules.

Johhny Blue

You haven’t been able to contest a drop ball for 2 years now. The rules of the game were changed in 2019 so you can hardly criticise him for playing to the rules.
I wasn’t.
I don’t know the wording of the current rule

Cov kid 55

He was ok, nothing more, nothing less, and to be fair, I don’t think we’ve had a truly bad ref for a while - perhaps Cardiff away? Their guy could/should have gone for pushing Kelly over in a quite aggressive manner. If it had been one of our players sent off for that, whilst being disappointed, we’d have probably said ‘he gave the ref a decision to make’. With the penalty, we’ve seen them given and seen them denied, my instinct is that we were fortunate there, but God knows we deserved a decision to go in our favour. Agree with 6/10.

Frostie

He was ok, nothing more, nothing less, and to be fair, I don’t think we’ve had a truly bad ref for a while - perhaps Cardiff away? Their guy could/should have gone for pushing Kelly over in a quite aggressive manner. If it had been one of our players sent off for that, whilst being disappointed, we’d have probably said ‘he gave the ref a decision to make’. With the penalty, we’ve seen them given and seen them denied, my instinct is that we were fortunate there, but God knows we deserved a decision to go in our favour. Agree with 6/10.

Thought the ref made quite a few odd decisions throughout but the penalty is an absolute stone waller, the player conceding it didn't even contest it.

Johhny Blue

What were you saying then when you put Wouldn’t let James challenge for a drop ball? That sounds to me a criticism.
I meant I wasn’t criticizing him for playing to the rules. I was FIFA certified back in the day but have mentioned a few times on these threads that I’m not up on many current changes and always ready to be educated.

Users who are viewing this thread