Reda Johnson - Should He Stay Or Should He Go? (1 Viewer)

Hadji10

Ain't being funny, but he ain't even that fucking good either. Aaron Martin is a far better player but he doesn't wank the fans off on social media.

Get rid. Should be the first player out the door.

rupert_bear

I have a better idea find and sign a left back and play Chris Stokes at centre half, was excellent in the few games he played earlier this season.

Captain Dart

PS Just to be clear, I think Reda is a nice person with an undoubted talent, but his injury record is appalling and it is almost certain he will only play for about half the season at best, the team needs a dominating centre back who will play 35 games minimum (ie more than Reda has played in the 2 seasons since he joined us) & preferably more. I think it is time to find an alternative.

The defence needs to be top notch and reliable, there is no way we'll get promotion unless the regulars are there week in week out and perform consistently.

chiefdave

I think you have to speak with the medical team before you think about what you're going to do. His injury this year wasn't the usual niggles and missing 3 or 4 games here and there. Prior to that TM seemed able to manage him quite well and get the most out of him.

If the medical team are confident I'd be tempted to offer him a pay as you play deal.

The problem is you would want decent cover, would that be affordable? If we have someone who is good enough to play in his place would there be any value in having him here as well.

Captain Dart

I think you have to speak with the medical team before you think about what you're going to do. His injury this year wasn't the usual niggles and missing 3 or 4 games here and there. Prior to that TM seemed able to manage him quite well and get the most out of him.

If the medical team are confident I'd be tempted to offer him a pay as you play deal.

The problem is you would want decent cover, would that be affordable? If we have someone who is good enough to play in his place would there be any value in having him here as well.

Reda has managed 140 league games in an 7 year professional career in England, that is an average of 20 games per season.

You don't need a Doctor to tell you he is a crock, you need a statistician. Cue Mr Anderson....

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=51755

ptr

He's not going to sign a pay as you play deal. If he did he would be playing with the fear of getting injured. If he's a crock like everyone's saying then he's hardly likely to take that risk of not getting paid whilst injured. I'm sure someone will offer him a 1 year deal

covcity4life

if hed stayed fit i think we would have made playoffs

shame,but least TM knows to look for physical defenders next season

Nick

Administrator
It isn't just the pay as you play, it means we need to get a backup to step in and then another backup for the backup. It is the disruption it causes too.

Brylowes

Ben Turner was 100 times the player Johnson is/was.
Think that's a bit unfair, there's no doubt when fit he brings an awful lot to the team.
If he wasn't a crock there's not a club in the league (and no doubt some from the league above)
who wouldn't take him, very influential player.
The problem is ,he is a crock and he needs to be moved on.

Sky Blue Kid

He's not going to sign a pay as you play deal. If he did he would be playing with the fear of getting injured. If he's a crock like everyone's saying then he's hardly likely to take that risk of not getting paid whilst injured. I'm sure someone will offer him a 1 year deal

Not only that, what if he hits a run of bad form and gets dropped?

Paxman II

I would let him go. You have to move forward and be a bit ruthless if you want success. He gets injured too easily, his history proves that. Combine that with the fact we have seen Martin grow immensely this season all he needs is one good player next to him. Could that be Willis? There are better options out there I'm sure that will be more reliable for the cause. Pennington for example could become a target again or A N Other.

Grendel

martin improved still isnt at redas level though,so if we are ruthless we have to get rid of both

Where on earth would you find an easy replacement for Martin? He's definitely at johnsons level as well by the way. Fat better than Johnson this season.

Colin Steins Smile

Evidence over the past few seasons is that he is injury prone and misses large number of games. We need a settled team, especially in defence. Therefore, do not renew his contract, even on a game by game basis. We need to move on.

covcity4life

Where on earth would you find an easy replacement for Martin? He's definitely at johnsons level as well by the way. Fat better than Johnson this season.

i was going by his ruthless logic, i am not saying get rid of martin

and martin has improved alot but nowhere near reda level imo

Grendel

i was going by his ruthless logic, i am not saying get rid of martin

and martin has improved alot but nowhere near reda level imo

In my opinion he is a far more consistent and reliable defender. I would pick him over the erratic Johnson every time. Even when he was fit he was often bailed out by Martin whose far better at holding his defensive line. Johnsons main strength is arial power - positionally he is all over the place.

Terry Gibson's perm

I would let him go as he just can't stay fit although he was a bit unlucky with this injury.

covcity4life

In my opinion he is a far more consistent and reliable defender. I would pick him over the erratic Johnson every time. Even when he was fit he was often bailed out by Martin whose far better at holding his defensive line. Johnsons main strength is arial power - positionally he is all over the place.

gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. i like it when cbs come out and power headers away just outside centre circle and stop moves even beginning, i think reda is very good at that. martin had to be told to be braver, thats not good for a cb, but fairplay he took it and has managed to implement it somewhat.

i personally like 1 marauding cb and 1 that holds line. i remember inter milan used it under jose to win treble with lucio and walter samuel, i dont think it made lucio a shit defender because he was more irratic, it really helps the team.

harries will probably be 1 of the 4cbs next year, martin too. leaves 2 or 3 spots open. i doubt reda will be back

fernandopartridge

Let him go, even a pay as you play deal would be wasteful. We've looked far better when we've had a settled defensive 4, that should be the aim for next season.

fernandopartridge

gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. i like it when cbs come out and power headers away just outside centre circle and stop moves even beginning, i think reda is very good at that. martin had to be told to be braver, thats not good for a cb, but fairplay he took it and has managed to implement it somewhat.

i personally like 1 marauding cb and 1 that holds line. i remember inter milan used it under jose to win treble with lucio and walter samuel, i dont think it made lucio a shit defender because he was more irratic, it really helps the team.

harries will probably be 1 of the 4cbs next year, martin too. leaves 2 or 3 spots open. i doubt reda will be back

You're obviously not very good at football, centre backs do not maraud.

covcity4life

You're obviously not very good at football, centre backs do not maraud.

lol what a troll response

tell that to lucio and his champions league trophy hahahah

every game he would go on crazy runs,carrying ball past half way line,and he likes to pressure strikers too getting right into their ankles, and heading too

samuel was more typical and helped mop it up when lucios high risk didnt work

but yeh jose mourinho probably doesnt know much about football too.......

steve82

Not so sure it works all the time, David luiz for instance and Southamptons van dijk needs the right balance.
Like your thinking tho, a ball playing defender and a solid commanding type next to him.

ccfcway

we are always talking about a "pay as you play deal" for someone

In recent times, have we actually had a player who was on one ?

Users who are viewing this thread