Recruitment Model (1 Viewer)

DannyThomas_1981

I come on here to escape my mundane life and all I see are prats spouting negative shite mostly. I get that not everything is positive but the drama queens actually want us to fail
Been saying this for years - it's blatantly obvious at times.
I even get attacked by some of the twats on here for defending our own players against their constant abuse, mockery and criticism against those targeted players.
What's also interesting is that when the same twats are challenged on their constant negativity - they use arguments such as 'we just want the best for the club' before immediately going back to mocking our own players and criticising everything.
It is very tiring.

Grendel

I even get attacked by some of the twats on here for defending our own players against their constant abuse, mockery and criticism against those targeted players.
What's also interesting is that when the same twats are challenged on their constant negativity - they use arguments such as 'we just want the best for the club' before immediately going back to mocking our own players and criticising everything.
It is very tiring.

Danny when you made an idiot of yourself yesterday you left the room

COV

It is very tiring.

I haven’t got a problem with anyone moaning about anything, it’s when the background to everything isn’t taken into account.

Apart from fanbase and our ‘’ name” we are a League One club (available finances, ground, infrastructure etc)- how MR works with the owners I’ll never know but he does, and I’d say it’s only really him that’s got us where we are

SkyBlueGuy

Because one we had to sign and 3 aren’t first team signings

Why would you assume that the recruitment model is to only sign players to go into the first team? I think the signings this season (whether you are excited by them or not) fits the strategy. A mixture of prospects for development, up and coming potential for first team, experience to help balance the squad (as well as help develop the aforementioned prospects) and the occasional relatively low risk gamble/ wild card. I'm not saying this seasons batch will pay dividends, but you only need to odd success for the model to work. For every McCallum, we have a few Kasta's/ Hillsner's etc.

Reactions: PVA

Grendel

Why would you assume that the recruitment model is to only sign players to go into the first team? I think the signings this season (whether you are excited by them or not) fits the strategy. A mixture of prospects for development, up and coming potential for first team, experience to help balance the squad (as well as help develop the aforementioned prospects) and the occasional relatively low risk gamble/ wild card. I'm not saying this seasons batch will pay dividends, but you only need to odd success for the model to work. For every McCallum, we have a few Kasta's/ Hillsner's etc.

Again name the last season we were looking at signing four players for the first team over 30

DannyThomas_1981

Danny when you made an idiot of yourself yesterday you left the room

Mate as you've never played the game and continuously demonstrate fcuk all knowledge about the technicalities of the game - I can assure you that you have zero idea as to the attributes required to play defensive midfield at elite levels.

I left the room as you get to the point of banging your head on a brick wall debating morons for no good effect and that's not my idea of fun.

Fortunately Robins isn't going to play someone without any pace as a defensive midfielder so the debate was a complete waste of time for everyone - most of all me.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Er Jones was a first team regular before he played for us and went straight in the first team and Hyam was straight in the first team squad

Hyam was brought in as development. He got a chance in the first team and impressed so stayed there.

Thing with the development model is we seem to have been trying to be a budget version of the big teams - bring in quite a few players for development and hope one or two of them progress. It seems like we bring a lot of them in more in hope than expectation. The fact Adi has been here during that time after his stint at Chelsea doesn't make this a big surprise.

I'd rather us focus on a small number of young players we really expect to progress and have them playing with more experienced pro's to learn off as opposed to throwing tonnes of shit at a wall and hoping some sticks. We had a good reputation for providing opportunities for youngsters to progress to the first team, which would have been attractive, but we're running the risk of losing it because in recent years we'd brought in quite a few who've never got close and then just been released.

MR seemed to have this thing about being 'streetwise' and he clearly thinks the squad lacks the experience to manage games effectively as so wants to add more of that in, esp at this higher level whereas you could get away with it a bit more in L1/2.

Ideally we'd be bring in players around 26-28 and reaching their peak, but to be effective at this level those players will cost money and at the end of their contract will be around 30 and be losing value. So if we want experience we've got to go for those ones that are 30-ish and starting to lose value as they're the ones we can afford.

We've paid fees for Gyo and Sheaf who are 23 and will be first-team squad members, plus bringing in the much younger Dinanga and Rus on a bit of a punt. So it's hardly like we've abandoned signing young players.

Reactions: TTG

Grendel

2015 16 is the answer by the way

COV

Again name the last season we were looking at signing four players for the first team over 30

I know your point… however as an aside is 30 really the official ‘graveyard age’ any more? Personally I’d say not, it doesn’t really mean as much any more

Grendel

Mate as you've never played the game and continuously demonstrate fcuk all knowledge about the technicalities of the game - I can assure you that you have zero idea as to the attributes required to play defensive midfield at elite levels.

I left the room as you get to the point of banging your head on a brick wall debating morons for no good effect and that's not my idea of fun.

Fortunately Robins isn't going to play someone without any pace as a defensive midfielder so the debate was a complete waste of time for everyone - most of all me.

To be fair you showed plenty of pace scarpering from the keyboard last night

D

Deleted member 11652

How’s Barbados treating you?

SkyBlueGuy

I understand what you are saying, but that doesn't really negate the point I made. We are still investing in youth along side those signings. It was always going to be a challenge this season, for a number of reasons. But, I also don't think that signing older players is always a problem, as they add experience which is sometimes desperately needed. People had doubts about McFadzean last season, but personally I thought (baring the occasional mad moment) that he was very good. That said, maybe it will all come unstuck? We will only know once we can see how they are used/ play together when the season starts

Mucca Mad Boys

We still have a young team? COH, Bright, Walker, Sheaf, Hamer, Rose, Hyam, Shipley, Dabo and Gyo off the top of my head.

That’s without mentioning our younger academy products like Bapaga and Burroughs et al.

KenilworthSkyBlue

I know your point… however as an aside is 30 really the official ‘graveyard age’ any more? Personally I’d say not, it doesn’t really mean as much any more

No, but there's little to no resale value on player's +30. Which, given that is pretty much our only avenue to generate surplus cash for further recruitment, is a problem.

COV

No, but there's little to no resale value on player's +30. Which given that's pretty much our only avenue to generate surplus cash for further recruitment, is a problem.

Yes that is a good point.

Perhaps right now we’ve decided that we can’t afford to be thinking about the future and are only focusing on getting through the season and remaining in the Championship.

I think we have enough to do that but it’s not going to be easy by any means

Winny the Bish

I don't mind signing experienced players, looking forward to seeing Waghorn play etc, but I just wish the experienced CB was better than Cranie - someone whose legs have probably gone and won't start more than 15 games this season.

COV

I don't mind signing experienced players, looking forward to seeing Waghorn play etc, but I just wish the experienced CB was better than Cranie - someone whose legs have probably gone and won't start more than 15 games this season.

Why were Luton trying to keep him if that’s the case?

Reactions: TTG

Liquid Gold

I think re-sale value is very important. I’d we were to be relegated and need to move players on to build a promotion team then who from this window would command a fee? Only Gyokeres to my mind, maybe Bright if he decides to be a professional.

Last year we bought in Walker, O’Hare, Hamer and agreed to sign Sheaf. All of those can be sold on.

Yes, it’s a difficult window. Yes, we’ve done better than other clubs. But we’ve also had a worse summer window than any other since Robins’ return.

Grendel

Why were Luton trying to keep him if that’s the case?

We kept McFazdean - it’s not the signing as signing someone. I’m not against it but it’s clearly a risk if it happens - funny thing is I suspect he will start in CDM - all that pace….

COV

We kept McFazdean - it’s not the signing as signing someone. I’m not against it but it’s clearly a risk if it happens - funny thing is I suspect he will start in CDM - all that pace….

Like I said, my feeling- might be totally wrong- is that all bets are off, this window is too strange and difficult- we aren’t thinking about the future right now, we’re just thinking “get through the season without being relegated, we’ll worry about the rest later”.

Which is understandable, might not be ideal but if it’s that or sit back and not get anybody because there is nobody we can get that fits the model, we have to do something, it’s a case of “get bodies in that can do a job”

D

Deleted member 11652

If cranie were to sign (I still think it’s just convenient for him to help us out this week while we’re short and for him for gain fitness) it’s definitely because of Eccles’ injury

skybluesam66

as per below, these 2 did develop quickly, but were signed as squad players - same as McCallum and same as some of this year;s younger signings may turn out

so yes - no change to the model excepting that recognising that we do need some experience in the here and now in this league -

“Dominic is another player with potential who we’ve brought in to develop and strengthen the club as a whole, not just the first team. Dominic will be expected to push for a place in the first-team, and adds depth and further quality to an important position.”

Jones will train with the Under-21s squad over the weekend and could feature for the Sky Blues on Monday at Ashton Gate as the Under-21s face Bristol City. Whilst he might not impact the first-team immediately, this is a deal we've done with one eye on the future as we look to build a brighter future for this club

Grendel

as per below, these 2 did develop quickly, but were signed as squad players - same as McCallum and same as some of this year;s younger signings may turn out

so yes - no change to the model excepting that recognising that we do need some experience in the here and now in this league -

“Dominic is another player with potential who we’ve brought in to develop and strengthen the club as a whole, not just the first team. Dominic will be expected to push for a place in the first-team, and adds depth and further quality to an important position.”

Jones will train with the Under-21s squad over the weekend and could feature for the Sky Blues on Monday at Ashton Gate as the Under-21s face Bristol City. Whilst he might not impact the first-team immediately, this is a deal we've done with one eye on the future as we look to build a brighter future for this club

We signed Jones on loan on March 19 he made his first team debut 7 days later and played four first team matches in 14 days. He featured then regularly the next season until an injury

cc84cov

How many clubs have got a sustainable Championship model?
I don’t focus on anyone else I look at our past model and this season it’s defo been tweaked which probably needed to be I was moaning about “experience at the level” all last season

Skybluebeliever

People constant refer to out recruitment model of unearthing talent to sell on to sustain the clubs finances going forward

I assume as rumours circulate about our 4th 30 something signing this fabled strategy is no more
Do you not think any strategy a business has had in the last 18 months has changed and been reviewed

I’m sure if you spoke to MR he would be the first to say this pre season has been like no other and he’s had to change a lot of things he hoped to do , I think we just have to hope it clicks in to place for this season

Reactions: COV

clint van damme

I don’t focus on anyone else I look at our past model and this season it’s defo been tweaked which probably needed to be I was moaning about “experience at the level” all last season

I said on another thread yesterday that at some point we're going to have to actually invest in the squad but I think we're far from the only club whose strategy is suspect.

fernandopartridge

People constant refer to out recruitment model of unearthing talent to sell on to sustain the clubs finances going forward

I assume as rumours circulate about our 4th 30 something signing this fabled strategy is no more

I don't think that is the entire model as it would be unsustainable, it's part of the model. I mean the reality of it is its just good whole life costing rather than something innovative.

Users who are viewing this thread