Recruitment Model (1 Viewer)

Grendel

People constant refer to out recruitment model of unearthing talent to sell on to sustain the clubs finances going forward

I assume as rumours circulate about our 4th 30 something signing this fabled strategy is no more

NorthernWisdom

It does look, on the face of it, like that might be the case.

However, we shouldn't discount experience in a balanced team. We've signed Sheaf and Gyo this close season (albeit Sheaf was the commitment last season), both of whom you'd assume are the investments for the future. If Waghorn helps Gyo and Walker improve as strikers, then he'll have helped that recruitment model, after all...

cc84cov

People constant refer to out recruitment model of unearthing talent to sell on to sustain the clubs finances going forward

I assume as rumours circulate about our 4th 30 something signing this fabled strategy is no more
Isn’t sustainable at this level

NorthernWisdom

It does look, on the face of it, like that might be the case.

However, we shouldn't discount experience in a balanced team. We've signed Sheaf and Gyo this close season (albeit Sheaf was the commitment last season), both of whom you'd assume are the investments for the future. If Waghorn helps Gyo and Walker improve as strikers, then he'll have helped that recruitment model, after all...

Grendel

Who was our third? Moore, Waghorn, ??
I’ve assumed cranks to be honest he’s training with us and I’m surprised if we don’t sign

fatso

We are adding experience where it counts, through the spine of the team, we did look a little naive at times last season.
Also Cranie wont be on a long term contract, he may be here till January when the next window opens, and Osti may he available then (if he's not getting games at Brighton)
We also have some good young talent of our own to come through too.

JulianDarbyFTW

I suppose the counter argument is that we've lost experience in James, Kelly is injured for the time being, Godden hasn't been fit for a while, and Wilson is inexperienced despite his age, so you end up with a team of youngsters and McFadz as the OAP on the pitch - old heads to come in and give that extra know how (and experience of the division) will hopefully give us a boost. Not an exciting model this window, but it makes sense to me.

kg82

We obviously need more experience. But we don’t seem to have abandoned that process completely. Sheaf and Gyokeres in permanent for first team, and then we’ve brought in Dinanga and Rus as well.

Greggs

seems like we've stepped back to the dark days where we sign any old dogshit and deadwood

Deity

We obviously need more experience. But we don’t seem to have abandoned that process completely. Sheaf and Gyokeres in permanent for first team, and then we’ve brought in Dinanga and Rus as well.
Plus Bright

Grendel

Conveniently you have only mentioned 4 signings, and missed off 5. I wonder what their ages might be...

Can't imagine why you left those out :rolleyes:

Because one we had to sign and 3 aren’t first team signings

Grendel

But they are still signings. They still count.

Some equally relevant arguments:

'Tyler Walker's goal scoring record is rubbish if you take out all his goals'
'We'd have been relegated last year if you don't include our wins'

Oh ok can you name the last time 4 of our first team signings were 30 something?

Cheers

Grendel

I think you answered your own question ie the development model . Do you really think players like Sam McCallum, Dom Hyam, Jody Jones, etc were 1st team regulars when signed
Keep up

Er Jones was a first team regular before he played for us and went straight in the first team and Hyam was straight in the first team squad

Grendel

If Collins doesn’t fit the model?…

DannyThomas_1981

seems like we've stepped back to the dark days where we sign any old dogshit and deadwood

Bloody hell lads - can we try to be a little more positive all round.

I certainly see the concerns in defence but l'm certain that Robins has plans for this.

We've massively upgraded our attack and I'm also excited to see the additional options we now have in attacking midfield - Bright, Jones. Seeing Bright, Hamer and O'Hare combine next season will be class.

Compared to this time last pre-season we're in much better shape - add in a few high quality loans and we'll be half way decent.

D

Deleted member 11652

Bloody hell lads - can we try to be a little more positive all round.

I certainly see the concerns in defence but l'm certain that Robins has plans for this.

We've massively upgraded our attack and I'm also excited to see the additional options we now have in attacking midfield - Bright, Jones. Seeing Bright, Hamer and O'Hare combine next season will be class.

Compared to this time last pre-season we're in much better shape - add in a few high quality loans and we'll be half way decent.

Have we strengthened up front? We’ve lost the best athlete and finisher at the club and replaced him with Waghorn?

rob9872

There were times last season we lacked a bit of experience and good old professionalism to do things like run the clock down or waste a bit of time, harass the ref a little more. At Championship level I think it's crucial and don't have an issue bringing in a few older heads as long as they're committed and not here for a final pay day. As always it's about balance and hopefully we'll not go too far in the other direction.

CDK

This whole window I don't think has gone to plan ,robins mentioned it,add to that the Covid curse hitting the club ,scratch sides for friendlies.If we can get to the forest game and get any positive result then it would be great.
Incomings looks like cranie,sources,it feels pretty much 2nd rate as a fan.

KenilworthSkyBlue

It's pretty obvious the strategy was going to have to change during this window, and it may have to change permanently for as long as we're in the Championship.

With the lower European leagues all but closed off due to the new points system, as well as money being tight due to what's gone on over the past 18 months or so, Championship clubs are now looking closer to home to unearth bright talent. Given the firepower that they still possess despite most being up to their eyeballs in debt, there's still no way we can compete on the financial front and therefore are likely to be pipped to signings more often than not - especially young talent that are able to compete at this level.

If you look at some of the weird signings being made from clubs such as Middlesbrough it's clear that the strategy of Championship clubs has been forced to change as well due to the current state of play so we're not alone.

I have to say though it's difficult to predict us being able to remain in the Championship long term under the current regime as Robins isn't going to be here forever and signing players with little to no resale value isn't sustainable.

procdoc

We have also signed Gyo, Bright and Sheaf who are all young still. We have also added players to the development squad. You need a balance of youth and experience in this league, particularly down the spine of the team.
Fadz, Cranie, (if he signs), Kelly and Godden are that experienced spine. Moore is 31 but that’s not considered old for a goalkeeper

Grendel

Frankly I’m not against it as such but to suggest it’s the same approach is just not accurate

COV

Part of all this is Robins’ own fault, people expect too much.

It’s not so long ago there was total meltdown about the accounts being awful, with dire prophecies of how bad the next ones will be after another yr at St Andrews- yet now all of a sudden we’re chucking grenades at the club for ticket prices being too high, not investing more in the team, recruitment all wrong- all in the backdrop of covid and barely anybody else making big (or exciting) signings.

Maybe we’re spoiled after the last few years and now is the comedown- 21st is still the aim and will be for a few years yet until our esteemed owners move on, and we’ve got enough for that with more to come in yet.

I don’t care if the players coming in are 21 or 31 right now, the championship is tough and if we went back down that’s a catastrophe all round- just need to stay up and ‘hold the line’ until something miraculous happens behind the scenes.

Don’t understand how all sense of perspective has apparently been lost- not with all but some

Users who are viewing this thread