Record signing top 10 (1 Viewer)

rob9872

When I first started supporting City,the first record fee was Drinkell for 600K - geeez
Worse, I think it was £850k. Although with Kevin Kyle at £800k makes it seem good value.

skybluelee

I'm annoyed I can't remember who our first £1M signing was. Would it have been Wegerle as part of the Gallacher deal?

If not....Dublin?

Hobo

George Hudson was a record signing £21,000

ProfessorbyGrace

I seem to recall Moldovan being signed for £3 mil, and Jarni for £2.7 mil.

Those were the released fees at the time, anyhoo.

We made a profit on both, I’m quite sure.

Gary Breen was £2.5/£3 mil wasn’t he? Gary McAllister was a tidy £3 mil, also.

The Philosopher

Probably should have googled first. This may be true above as at last year but makes no reference to McCallister who I always thought was £3m.

I’ve edited original post.

Last edited:

Hobo

67/68 £90,000 for Neil Martin from Sunderland was decent money back then.

For some perspective record British transfer fee was broken twice in 1968 £120,000 Martin Chivers and £150,000 Alan Clarke.

Last edited:

ProfessorbyGrace

Probably should have googled first. This may be true above as at last year but makes no reference to McCallister who I always thought was £3m.

I’ve edited original post.
Yes, McAllister was £3m, definitely. That article mentioned David Thompson for £3.5m, which i think is probably wrong. It was more £2.5m from what I remember.

The Philosopher

Yes, McAllister was £3m, definitely. That article mentioned David Thompson for £3.5m, which i think is probably wrong. It was more £2.5m from what I remember.
Thompson I always thought was 3m in, but I.5m out (madness) and entered originally as 3.

Just checked “Transfermarkt”, they have as E4.5m in. Lord knows what the exchange rate was back then or if the data is reliable.

CCFPA have him at £3.2m. I’ll adjust to that because….. just because.

Legia Sky Blue

We got him for a pittance from Dumbarton. Sold him for £1m to Forest when he flopped badly.

He joined Forest as their great team was on the wane, and before their next decent team took shape. If I remember right they signed Fashanu at the same time, who was a real flop for them. Although he didn't score like he had at Cov he was still their top scorer for 3 seasons, even with occasionally being played in midfield, so was not as bad as is often made out.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

George Hudson was a record signing £21,000

Can't remember what Jimmy Hill sold him for ? Did we make a profit ?

George Hudson was up there with the best.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Northampton £28,500 so £7,500 profit.

Doesn't seem alot, but back then you could buy 2 new House's 🏡 for £7,000.

Brylowes

McAllisrter was signed from Leeds as one part of a duel £5million signing along with Noel Whelan, McAllister £3miillion & Whelan £2million.
That’s what I thought anyway.

baldy

McAllisrter was signed from Leeds as one part of a duel £5million signing along with Noel Whelan, McAllister £3miillion & Whelan £2million.
That’s what I thought anyway.

Eh? McAllister was signed in the summer & Whelan was signed near January weren‘t he?

Users who are viewing this thread