Rebecca Long-Bailey sacked (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

I mean I could go and stand in court if it was an unfair dismissal case and ask questions about this particular situation and I'm thick as fuck.

You would think to get rid because of anti semetic stuff you would have to prove its anti semetic.

I mean, you would at least check if it was an anti semetic conspiracy theory before labelling it one wouldn't you? At least I can see where you get your love of labelling things conspiracy theory without checking.

If I said people in Jamaica smoke weed and my boss sacked me for racism. I'd be rubbing my hands together at the unfair dismissal claim coming my way.

Point is you wouldn’t be sacked for racism you’d be sacked for gross misconduct or bringing the company into disrepute or whatever. The Equality Act and hate speech laws set a certain bar but real life’s bar is far lower. And far harder to discern where the line is. It’s basically “are enough people offended?”

David O'Day

Salford and Eccles is a very different north to what people call the "red wall". It's a Greater Manchester seat.

A lot of the "red wall" will slide back to Labour at the next election. As was said it was the appalling brexit fudge that did for them and even then with a few exceptions they are wafer thin majorities for the Tories.

I do feel sorry for RLB as she was forced into being the face of the Labour left when she didn't really want to be this due to Laura Pidcock losing her seat.

shmmeee

Treading very carefully here..... there is a correlation between those that support Palestinian rights and those that are supposedly ‘vehement anti-semites’

And there’s a correlation between pro Israel and islamophobia. It’s a shitty battle all round and frankly if I were a U.K. politician I’d stay well out of it outside any official peace process.

Nick

Administrator
Point is you wouldn’t be sacked for racism you’d be sacked for gross misconduct or bringing the company into disrepute or whatever. The Equality Act and hate speech laws set a certain bar but real life’s bar is far lower. And far harder to discern where the line is. It’s basically “are enough people offended?”
Yeah and I'd get a nice payoff.

Grendel

Is it criticism if it's fact?

The world is gone.

No it hasn’t as one faction of the Labour Party will always attack anything to do with Israel but have zero interest anywhere else in the Middle East - and oddly it’s only the Corbyn faction - who supported the terrorist group Hammas - which indulge in this. It goes back to the early 80’s when the hard left wing saw the Jews as symbols of capitalism and that section have never grown up

Grendel

And there’s a correlation between pro Israel and islamophobia. It’s a shitty battle all round and frankly if I were a U.K. politician I’d stay well out of it outside any official peace process.

Yes that’s really the point

Brighton Sky Blue

Exactly, and in the eyes of the electorate, Corbyn failed just about every leadership test.

I was getting fed up with his dithering on Brexit, but it was disheartening when ‘we’ seemingly kept scoring own goals every other week.

Agreeing to the election was stupid
Brexit handling was a disaster
Trying to make ever more outlandish policies to deflect from Brexit made them look more stupid

Even I had a very hard time voting for them to be honest. It was infuriating though hearing some voters up north say they voted Tory because they were sick of there being no opportunities or investment in their towns/villages. Then afterwards Boris spoke like 'well now we're going to have to give a shit about these places'.

Bargh

Ian1779

I don’t really see how keeping RLB fits this well? Brexit was a pertinent issue, but the Red Wall is generally socially conservative too. In the minds of voters, RLB represents a continuation of Corbyn. The Red Wall very decisively rejected that offering.

There are a lot of factors contributing to Labour’s crushing defeat. Brexit was a big factor, obviously, Labour lost a lot of votes to ‘remain’ parties as well as ‘leave’ parties. But, the electorate generally didn’t believe the Labour manifesto was deliverable or credible, and by every metric, Corbyn was behind Cameron, May and Johnson. The anti-semitism scandal was hugely damaging to Labour and Corbyn.

That said, there were individual policies that were in the manifesto that were popular, but the policy programme as a whole was not received well.

The same red wall that just 2 years before had not only held but in some seats started to re-strengthen. Brexit was the overriding issue - out of the 56 seats lost - 52 were leave constituencies. Even the other 4 - 2 were lost because the Remain vote was split between with the Tories coming through the middle.

Most of Labour’s policies would have had an overwhelmingly positive effect on their lives, so are we now getting into the effectiveness of creating a narrative against Corbyn and his version of Labour?

That said - the leadership should have seen this coming and done something about it. A party that smashed the Tories in 2017 in terms of social media got absolutely pummelled in the same forum 2 years later. It was a shambles on that front.

Grendel

Jewish lives matter.

Is that progressive or offensive?

World is getting more mad!

The majority of Jewish groups in the uk would view this as another example of racism - it’s interesting the majority Jewish voice is less important than the majority black voice with certain labour supporters

Nick

Administrator
The majority of Jewish groups in the uk would view this as another example of racism - it’s interesting the majority Jewish voice is less important than the majority black voice with certain labour supporters
Shalom

They would find a fact, racist? I mean it's not a conspiracy either as made out.

TomRad85

Shalom

They would find a fact, racist? I mean it's not a conspiracy either as made out.
Wasn't necessary to bring them into it at all i think is the point. Its irrelevant.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

David O'Day

Genuinely I think it's racist for non Jewish people decide what is "AS". It's also morally repugnant to try and waeponise AS. The people I know in the JLM don't see this as AS. As I said it gets dangerous when start to call an critique of the actions of the state of Israel AS. It's wrong and it damages the valid attempts to tackle AS.

It also seems the EHRC is a fundraiser for the tory party which she didn't declare.

Ian1779

The Jewish community can’t even decide between them which voice ‘represents’ them. The BoD have claimed that position but it’s far from agreed.

Nick

Administrator
Wasn't necessary to bring them into it at all i think is the point. Its irrelevant.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
She didn't, she retweeted an article saying the knee move and Israeli special forces. Which... It is.

It's not a conspiracy, it's fact they train police.

If it's offensive to say that, maybe they should stop training police?

David O'Day

Maybe open your eyes and read what I put underneath

I did and I find you to be a c**t as you don't even know what the story is.

RLB as not said anything that is AS. It's the retweeting of something critical of Israel w1hich made up about 10 words in an interview given by someone else.

When you actually care about bigotry to jewish people please come back.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Genuinely I think it's racist for non Jewish people decide what is "AS". It's also morally repugnant to try and waeponise AS. The people I know in the JLM don't see this as AS. As I said it gets dangerous when start to call an critique of the actions of the state of Israel AS. It's wrong and it damages the valid attempts to tackle AS.

It also seems the EHRC is a fundraiser for the tory party which she didn't declare.

I agree much of the trouble with this is that Israel deciding what is anti-Semitic have basically said anything that criticises Israel or Netanyahu counts. Israel has itself weaponised AS by using it as a defence against their actions in the region. It becomes the boy that cried wolf and when genuine AS occurs they've lost sympathy and support.

With RLB it would seem convenient for Starmer to get rid of the remaining Corbyn faction and it may seem a bit harsh, but it shows a leader willing to take quick and decisive action esp on a subject which so many are willing to drag up against Labour. He had no choice but to do it really (although I've no doubt there will be some saying the sacking proves Labour has a massive AS problem) Compare and contrast to how the Tories acted with Cummings and are doing so with Jenryk.

Of course the big question is how Starmer responds should it be someone more closely aligned to him next time

SkyBlueDom26

I did and I find you to be a c**t as you don't even know what the story is.

RLB as not said anything that is AS. It's the retweeting of something critical of Israel w1hich made up about 10 words in an interview given by someone else.

When you actually care about bigotry to jewish people please come back.
She’s literally been told to step down by keir for retweeting something AS, are you really that stupid?

David O'Day

I agree much of the trouble with this is that Israel deciding what is anti-Semitic have basically said anything that criticises Israel or Netanyahu counts. Israel has itself weaponised AS by using it as a defence against their actions in the region. It becomes the boy that cried wolf and when genuine AS occurs they've lost sympathy and support.

With RLB it would seem convenient for Starmer to get rid of the remaining Corbyn faction and it may seem a bit harsh, but it shows a leader willing to take quick and decisive action esp on a subject which so many are willing to drag up against Labour. He had no choice but to do it really (although I've no doubt there will be some saying the sacking proves Labour has a massive AS problem) Compare and contrast to how the Tories acted with Cummings and are doing so with Jenryk.

Of course the big question is how Starmer responds should it be someone more closely aligned to him next time

If RLB had actually been AS then yes but what she did was retweet a interview with one of the most famous actresses in the UK who happens to be her constituent. It cheapens the very real need to tackle AS wherever it maybe.

chiefdave

If it's offensive to say that, maybe they should stop training police?
At least one place in the US (Durham, North Carolina) has gone down that route:

"The council opposes international exchanges with any country in which Durham officers receive military-style training since such exchanges do not support the kind of policing we want here in the City of Durham. We recognize and share the deep concern about militarization of police forces around the country. We know that racial profiling and its subsequent harms to communities of color have plagued policing in our nation and in our own community."

Even that drew claims of anti-semitism, which were dismissed by a judge.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

If RLB had actually been AS then yes but what she did was retweet a interview with one of the most famous actresses in the UK who happens to be her constituent. It cheapens the very real need to tackle AS wherever it maybe.

He was damned if he did damned if he didn't. Had he not got rid of her he knows it would've been seized upon by the right as Labour anti-semitism continues. All words no action Despite it being a storm in a teacup

Grendel

You might want to check who appointed her.

Lol he has zero choice as he had to initially appease the unions and the left of the party

Liquid Gold

If this is his way then fair enough but he better be whiter than white on any other shadow cabinet member tweeting anything slightly dodgy.

Users who are viewing this thread