Rebecca Long-Bailey sacked (1 Viewer)

Mucca Mad Boys

It’s a stupid think to retweet but if it was anyone but her she’s have kept her job - Starmer never wanted her around anyway

Power is a game, and it was a very good power move. Sends a strong message on Labour dealing with anti-semifinals, and ‘disgraces’ a potential contender to his role down the line.

As a few people have alluded, appearances matter in politics. Something Corbyn never quite grasped (best case) or cared about (worst case) in his time as leader.

clint van damme

Power is a game, and it was a very good power move. Sends a strong message on Labour dealing with anti-semifinals, and ‘disgraces’ a potential contender to his role down the line.

As a few people have alluded, appearances matter in politics. Something Corbyn never quite grasped (best case) or cared about (worst case) in his time as leader.

Starmer needs to win back the northern 'red wall'.

He's sacked RLB and embroiled Maxine Peake in the controversy. I'm not sure this is going to appear as good as you think it is in some of the areas that matter.

Brighton Sky Blue

He's sacked RLB and embroiled Maxine Peake in the controversy. I'm not sure this is going to appear as good as you think it is in some of the areas that matter.

He needs to get some pint holding lessons in before the pubs open.

Grendel

No and the unions will be very unhappy - he’s hardly thatcher who’d sack with impunity and tough it out and also he’s set a very strict precedent

Fleet Street will be crawling over other front bench social media

rondog1973

Myself agreeing with Nick is a rocking horse shit rarity, but he's spot on with this.

Bottom line, why is it only anti semitism when Israelis are criticised? Palestinians are Semitic people too and yet to condemn them is never described thus...

Ian1779

Myself agreeing with Nick is a rocking horse shit rarity, but he's spot on with this.

Bottom line, why is it only anti semitism when Israelis are criticised? Palestinians are Semitic people too and yet to condemn them is never described thus...

Treading very carefully here..... there is a correlation between those that support Palestinian rights and those that are supposedly ‘vehement anti-semites’

rondog1973

Treading very carefully here..... there is a correlation between those that support Palestinian rights and those that are supposedly ‘vehement anti-semites’
Is that anti semitism though? To condemn one and support the other of the same ethos equates to anti the lot of 'em doesn't make sense.

Anti Zionism all day long. The AS tag simply promotes an unwarranted hysteria, which is what it's designed to do in many instances.

stupot07

it depends who you follow, I've got discerning tastes.
Not sure how this is showing it quoting me...I didn't write this.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
7081509db8c306278148b7aea18a29dc.jpg

Mucca Mad Boys

I don’t really see how this relates to ‘winning back’ the ‘Red Wall’.

Corbyn’s perceived inability to address the issue of antisemitism damaged his credibility beyond Jewish voters. A ComRes poll showed that 55% of those polled felt that it showed his inability to address antisemitism showed he was unfit to lead the country.

I supported Corbyn enthusiastically in 2015 until about 2018/19 and grew increasingly disillusioned with his leadership of the party, for various reasons. Still voted Labour in 2019.

Ian1779

Is that anti semitism though? To condemn one and support the other of the same ethos equates to anti the lot of 'em doesn't make sense.

Anti Zionism all day long. The AS tag simply promotes an unwarranted hysteria, which is what it's designed to do in many instances.

I agree with you - but when you start to dig beyond the surface of what is a very complex situation then you start to see things like this occur. If I was to accuse the Israeli government of being an apartheid state (which it is) there would be some people saying that was anti-semitic (not on here mind) even though I’ve made no reference to religion whatsoever.

Grendel

I agree with you - but when you start to dig beyond the surface of what is a very complex situation then you start to see things like this occur. If I was to accuse the Israeli government of being an apartheid state (which it is) there would be some people saying that was anti-semitic (not on here mind) even though I’ve made no reference to religion whatsoever.

Are the Jewish community in Israel welcome across the Middle East states Ian?

Nick

Administrator
Sounds like North Korea

rondog1973

All the more tragic that we've no politicians with the balls to make this distinction.

Probably fearful some Mossad agents will off 'em with a neck kneel to be fair...

Ian1779

Corbyn’s perceived inability to address the issue of antisemitism damaged his credibility beyond Jewish voters. A ComRes poll showed that 55% of those polled felt that it showed his inability to address antisemitism showed he was unfit to lead the country.

I supported Corbyn enthusiastically in 2015 until about 2018/19 and grew increasingly disillusioned with his leadership of the party, for various reasons. Still voted Labour in 2019.
Perception?
The red wall fell because of Labour’s appalling Brexit position, but it had been crumbling at the edges for a while.

What are they looking to see from a Labour leader that will win back their vote?

Labour can’t win without taking this back. Their offer needs to be transformative and radical - to make their lives and their kids lives better. It’s why they went for Brexit, it offered a change to the shite they’d been served for so long.

Philosorapter

It's going to be interesting if Labour is going win the North or the Midlands again.

Pretty obvious Labour supporters changed over to the Conservatives because they weren't being listened to over Europe.

Just can't see the Conservatives holding the majority of these seats they've won when it comes to the next election.

In Scotland there was a SNP that filled the gap of disillusionment when the only thing you could separate between the parties were the colour of their rosettes.

chiefdave

But it's not actually offensive, nobody can explain how it's offensive.
This is way too complex an issue to be covering in a forum post and I'm possibly not the best person to do it but I'll try and point you in the right direction.

When people talk about Labour anti-semitism, or indeed anti-semitism in general, they are bundling in anti-zionism. Not only that they are extending anti-zionism to include any criticism of the state of Israel.
What's the difference between anti-Semitism and anti-Zionism?

For me that's a big part of the problem. To the man on the street with little interest in politics if you scream the headline Labour anti-semitism they imagine a Labour MP being anti-jew or even worse a Holocaust denier. They don't think its a Labour member who pays a few quid a month tweeting that Israelis shouldn't bomb Palestinians.

So then you're into the Israel - Palestine issue which has been going on for decades. This is a few years old now (2016) but a decent summary.

Now add in the Board of Deputies. They present themselves, and the majority of the media facilitate this, as the voice of all Jews. That's clearly nonsense and there's other Jewish groups with very different views but that doesn't matter when they have the ear of the media. They are pro-Zionism and are a key part of the Zionist Lobby in the UK (Israel lobby in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia).

They took issue with Corbyn as Labour leader as he has long been a supporter of Palenstine's right to exist and the 1967 borders, basically the borders before the six day war. That's not a controversial view, Obama gave speeches saying the same thing and the UN security Council has long stated that Israel’s settlements in Palestinian territory since 1967 are illegal and break international law. But that was when the claims of Labour anti-semitism went into overdrive and the current board leader, van Der Zyl, has pushed the idea that anti-zionism, or any criticism of Israel, is anti-Semitic.

If that wasn't enough enter Donald Trump! He's basically gone against the rest of the international community and stirred things up to the point that an Israeli invasion is expected any day now. Be interesting to see how Starmer, who pushes his human rights background, approaches that without upsetting the Board of Deputies.
Why Trump and Jerusalem was not about peace
Trump's Mideast plan gives Israel a green light. Here's what that looks like - CNN

Bet you wish you hadn't asked! Might well be others on here who can explain it better than me.

Ian1779

All the more tragic that we've no politicians with the balls to make this distinction.

Probably fearful some Mossad agent's will off 'em with a neck kneel to be fair...

Too afraid to offend, speak up and you’re a racist - I don’t know.

This shit was tried with Sanders in America - difference was he came out guns blazing and stopped it in its tracks.

Nick

Administrator

I mean there are councillors and MPs who are just repeating headlines with no actual clue.

I mean it's no wonder why councils are fucked.

Ian1779

This is way too complex an issue to be covering in a forum post and I'm possibly not the best person to do it but I'll try and point you in the right direction.

When people talk about Labour anti-semitism, or indeed anti-semitism in general, they are bundling in anti-zionism. Not only that they are extending anti-zionism to include any criticism of the state of Israel.

For me that's a big part of the problem. To the man on the street with little interest in politics if you scream the headline Labour anti-semitism they imagine a Labour MP being anti-jew or even worse a Holocaust denier. They don't think its a Labour member who pays a few quid a month tweeting that Israelis shouldn't bomb Palestinians.

So then you're into the Israel - Palestine issue which has been going on for decades. This is a few years old now (2016) but a decent summary.

Now add in the Board of Deputies. They present themselves, and the majority of the media facilitate this, as the voice of all Jews. That's clearly nonsense and there's other Jewish groups with very different views but that doesn't matter when they have the ear of the media. They are pro-Zionism and are a key part of the Zionist Lobby in the UK (Israel lobby in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia).

They took issue with Corbyn as Labour leader as he has long been a supporter of Palenstine's right to exist and the 1967 borders, basically the borders before the six day war. That's not a controversial view, Obama gave speeches saying the same thing and the UN security Council has long stated that Israel’s settlements in Palestinian territory since 1967 are illegal and break international law. But that was when the claims of Labour anti-semitism went into overdrive and the current board leader, van Der Zyl, has pushed the idea that anti-zionism, or any criticism of Israel, is anti-Semitic.

If that wasn't enough enter Donald Trump! He's basically gone against the rest of the international community and stirred things up to the point that an Israeli invasion is expected any day now. Be interesting to see how Starmer, who pushes his human rights background, approaches that without upsetting the Board of Deputies.
Trump's Mideast plan gives Israel a green light. Here's what that looks like - CNN

Bet you wish you hadn't asked! Might well be others on here who can explain it better than me.

Excellent summary.

clint van damme

because it's a bad look for a southern barrister to be sacking a popular northern MP and embroiling a popular northern actress in the whole saga. In my opinion.
I also, as pointed out earlier, thinks it stinks of hypocrisy given Reeves is in his cabinet.
I also think it's embarrassing to be taking this action as leader of the opposition when he hasn't laid a glove on Robert Jenrick for the on going property developer saga.

Brighton Sky Blue

It's going to be interesting if Labour is going win the North or the Midlands again.

Pretty obvious Labour supporters changed over to the Conservatives because they weren't being listened to over Europe.

Just can't see the Conservatives holding the majority of these seats they've won when it comes to the next election.

In Scotland there was a SNP that filled the gap of disillusionment when the only thing you could separate between the parties were the colour of their rosettes.

Erm and one party wanting to break the union with the other wanting to keep it

Nick

Administrator

Yeah but it turns out police do use Israeli methods. Us police use krav maga.

It's not a conspiracy or offensive. Unless if you mention krav maga they come and fuck you up because it's imaginary and offensive to mention it?

It's a basic fact.

Brighton Sky Blue

Too afraid to offend, speak up and you’re a racist - I don’t know.

This shit was tried with Sanders in America - difference was he came out guns blazing and stopped it in its tracks.

He's Jewish to be fair it was always a bizarre allegation

Ian1779

He's Jewish to be fair it was always a bizarre allegation
But you could see it coming a mile off after its success on Corbyn. Sanders responded the way Corbyn should have. He had 40 years of prominent anti-racist campaigning behind him. Not calling it out as bullshit allowed the narrative to be built and embed.

Brighton Sky Blue

But you could see it coming a mile off after its success on Corbyn. Sanders responded the way Corbyn should have. He had 40 years of prominent anti-racist campaigning behind him. Not calling it out as bullshit allowed the narrative to be built and embed.

Yeah but Bernie being Jewish made the rebuttal very easy from the get go. Jezza just had far too many skeletons in the closet and if it wasn't this it'd have been something else

Mucca Mad Boys

Perception?
The red wall fell because of Labour’s appalling Brexit position, but it had been crumbling at the edges for a while.

What are they looking to see from a Labour leader that will win back their vote?

Labour can’t win without taking this back. Their offer needs to be transformative and radical - to make their lives and their kids lives better. It’s why they went for Brexit, it offered a change to the shite they’d been served for so long.

I don’t really see how keeping RLB fits this well? Brexit was a pertinent issue, but the Red Wall is generally socially conservative too. In the minds of voters, RLB represents a continuation of Corbyn. The Red Wall very decisively rejected that offering.

There are a lot of factors contributing to Labour’s crushing defeat. Brexit was a big factor, obviously, Labour lost a lot of votes to ‘remain’ parties as well as ‘leave’ parties. But, the electorate generally didn’t believe the Labour manifesto was deliverable or credible, and by every metric, Corbyn was behind Cameron, May and Johnson. The anti-semitism scandal was hugely damaging to Labour and Corbyn.

That said, there were individual policies that were in the manifesto that were popular, but the policy programme as a whole was not received well.

Grendel

Yeah but it turns out police do use Israeli methods. Us police use krav maga.

It's not a conspiracy or offensive. Unless if you mention krav maga they come and fuck you up because it's imaginary and offensive to mention it?

It's a basic fact.

It’s a basic fact labour will single out one society in the Middle East - google Ken Livingstone and anti semetic

NorthernWisdom

A small point of order but it seems she was actually sacked for not removing the tweet, rather than just doing it in the first place. She says she wanted to speak to Starmer first but wasn't given the opportunity.

Brighton Sky Blue

I don’t really see how keeping RLB fits this well? Brexit was a pertinent issue, but the Red Wall is generally socially conservative too. In the minds of voters, RLB represents a continuation of Corbyn. The Red Wall very decisively rejected that offering.

There are a lot of factors contributing to Labour’s crushing defeat. Brexit was a big factor, obviously, Labour lost a lot of votes to ‘remain’ parties as well as ‘leave’ parties. But, the electorate generally didn’t believe the Labour manifesto was deliverable or credible, and by every metric, Corbyn was behind Cameron, May and Johnson. The anti-semitism scandal was hugely damaging to Labour and Corbyn.

That said, there were individual policies that were in the manifesto that were popular, but the policy programme as a whole was not received well.

The Tories have been publishing shit manifestos for ages and getting away with it. As G once said, it's hardly ever about policy

Mucca Mad Boys

The Tories have been publishing shit manifestos for ages and getting away with it. As G once said, it's hardly ever about policy

Exactly, and in the eyes of the electorate, Corbyn failed just about every leadership test.

I was getting fed up with his dithering on Brexit, but it was disheartening when ‘we’ seemingly kept scoring own goals every other week.

Users who are viewing this thread