Realistic signings (5 Viewers)

SlowerThanPlatt

Apparently we had a scout to watch Lawrence Shankland on Saturday:

The English club had a scout at Tannadice to see Shankland score a wonder goal that helped the Tangerines beat St Mirren 2-1 on Saturday.

His volley will be in paragraph one of the report that landed on Blues boss Mark Robins’ desk.

Coventry have shown an interest in Shankland since his days at Ayr United and were regular attendees at United matches last season.

SlowerThanPlatt

What I would find concerning about him is that he’s scored pretty much 25 goals for 3 seasons now and still hasn’t had a big move. If a player scores that many in England in just one season they’re off

KenilworthSkyBlue

What I would find concerning about him is that he’s scored pretty much 25 goals for 3 seasons now and still hasn’t had a big move. If a player scores that many in England in just one season they’re off

It's not all that surprising that he hasn't had a big move yet. Scottish strikers often struggle to find much success south of the border and from what I hear about Shankland it's quite clear that despite his scoring record he not only suits the level he's playing at, but the hype surrounding him seriously flatters to deceive.

Last edited:

cc84cov

Can’t see anything in this we’ve just spent money on Walker their probably using our name to drum up a reaction from clubs to make bids

although we’ve just had the Wilson money so who really knows if max was to be sold possibly we could sign another

cc84cov

Clubs see it as a risk as Scottish football is weaker than English,the lad up front for QPR looked decent ish he came from over thereZ

skyblueelephant76

He turned down offers from a number of clubs because he wanted to stay in the Scottish Championship and develop.

KenilworthSkyBlue

He turned down offers from a number of clubs because he wanted to stay in the Scottish Championship and develop.

Develop? He's 25 not 20. Personally I think there's a bit more too it than that. Call me a sceptic, but if a bigger club were truly interested in acquiring his services he wouldn't be playing at Dundee United.

If he does well in the SPL though this season, then clubs will of course inevitably come knocking.

no_loyalty

I’m not saying we should sign him, but if Jacob Murphy became available do think he would fit in here, as an attacking midfielder?

Jesse Carver

What about Charly Musonda at Chelsea? He's coming back from a long term injury and appears to have lost his way a bit but he's still only 23 and when he was signed by Chelsea he was one of the most coveted kids in Europe.

He played under Viveash for Chelsea U18's and U23's so he knows him well and speaks about him in glowing terms. There's an interesting article on him in The Athletic from just after he picked up his injury last year, I've c&p'd the bits with quotes from Adi below:-

Adi Viveash worked with him for five years, firstly as his under-18 coach and then when he was in charge of the under-21s.

Viveash tells The Athletic: “When he was recruited, arguably at the time he was the best under-16 in world football, not just in Europe. You’re talking about a special talent.

“I remember I was doing some of my coaching badges and Osian Roberts, the technical director on one of my ‘A’ Licence courses, told me that Wales had played against Belgium in the under-16s when Musonda was there and it was the best performance at that level he had ever seen at that age. He just said Charly controlled the game and was unplayable.

“We had to do a lot of work with him, probably more off the field than on it because when you’re as good as he was, it is more about honing how you play. Mainly it was him understanding the English culture.

“For Charly, he’d come from a club where he was probably the biggest fish and suddenly he was with a group of outstanding youngsters. I think first of all he found that to be quite a challenge to really fit in. We were trying to get him to feel part of the team, rather than just be an individual.

“But within six months he was an integral part of the group and was very popular in the dressing room. I just felt he was on a pathway to success. I felt he was one of six players that were destined to play for Chelsea’s first team.”

When Steve Holland, then assistant manager, would ring asking for junior players to be sent over to fill in for absent squad members, Musonda’s name would be one of those Viveash would put forward.

While not portraying Musonda as an innocent victim, Viveash does feel he deserved the benefit of the doubt. “To be an elite talent you have to have confidence,” he says. “There is a borderline and Charly is definitely very confident about his ability. It comes down to individual interpretation whether you think it’s arrogance.

“Certainly how he played displayed an air of extreme confidence. But if people saw Paul Gascoigne do things, he’d be labelled a maverick genius. That’s a similar thing with Charly, yet others may have perceived it as being a little bit cocky. But if you have that ability, you’re going to do it.

“Sometimes you have to remind players that there is a small line. You can’t take away individual brilliance. I was quite firm on trying to help him gain English values and add them to his incredible ability.

“Charly had to feel free to get the best out of him. He will work for you defensively but you get the best out of him by letting him show his talent in a team structure, and showing that you have confidence in him.”

Viveash agrees. “You can guarantee he will be telling the physios what he should be doing to get himself back to top condition because that is how he is,” he says.

“His confident attitude is what will help him get through this. If you’re an inward character, you struggle with bad injuries. Mentally that can be a drain and for some people it finishes them because they never get that back. They focus too much on the negative.

“He still has a long career ahead of him. He will certainly be feeling that he can impact Lampard’s Chelsea. If he can get himself right, he will believe he is as good as the players in the team and in the squad now.”

Chelsea have signed a lot of players and he's going to be well down in the pecking order, from looking at their website it looks like they haven't given him a squad number this season so his days are probably numbered. He's got two years left on his deal, could be a good move for him to come back under the wing of his old mentor.

ccfc_Tom

What about Charly Musonda at Chelsea? He's coming back from a long term injury and appears to have lost his way a bit but he's still only 23 and when he was signed by Chelsea he was one of the most coveted kids in Europe.

He played under Viveash for Chelsea U18's and U23's so he knows him well and speaks about him in glowing terms. There's an interesting article on him in The Athletic from just after he picked up his injury last year, I've c&p'd the bits with quotes from Adi below:-

Adi Viveash worked with him for five years, firstly as his under-18 coach and then when he was in charge of the under-21s.

Viveash tells The Athletic: “When he was recruited, arguably at the time he was the best under-16 in world football, not just in Europe. You’re talking about a special talent.

“I remember I was doing some of my coaching badges and Osian Roberts, the technical director on one of my ‘A’ Licence courses, told me that Wales had played against Belgium in the under-16s when Musonda was there and it was the best performance at that level he had ever seen at that age. He just said Charly controlled the game and was unplayable.

“We had to do a lot of work with him, probably more off the field than on it because when you’re as good as he was, it is more about honing how you play. Mainly it was him understanding the English culture.

“For Charly, he’d come from a club where he was probably the biggest fish and suddenly he was with a group of outstanding youngsters. I think first of all he found that to be quite a challenge to really fit in. We were trying to get him to feel part of the team, rather than just be an individual.

“But within six months he was an integral part of the group and was very popular in the dressing room. I just felt he was on a pathway to success. I felt he was one of six players that were destined to play for Chelsea’s first team.”

When Steve Holland, then assistant manager, would ring asking for junior players to be sent over to fill in for absent squad members, Musonda’s name would be one of those Viveash would put forward.

While not portraying Musonda as an innocent victim, Viveash does feel he deserved the benefit of the doubt. “To be an elite talent you have to have confidence,” he says. “There is a borderline and Charly is definitely very confident about his ability. It comes down to individual interpretation whether you think it’s arrogance.

“Certainly how he played displayed an air of extreme confidence. But if people saw Paul Gascoigne do things, he’d be labelled a maverick genius. That’s a similar thing with Charly, yet others may have perceived it as being a little bit cocky. But if you have that ability, you’re going to do it.

“Sometimes you have to remind players that there is a small line. You can’t take away individual brilliance. I was quite firm on trying to help him gain English values and add them to his incredible ability.

“Charly had to feel free to get the best out of him. He will work for you defensively but you get the best out of him by letting him show his talent in a team structure, and showing that you have confidence in him.”

Viveash agrees. “You can guarantee he will be telling the physios what he should be doing to get himself back to top condition because that is how he is,” he says.

“His confident attitude is what will help him get through this. If you’re an inward character, you struggle with bad injuries. Mentally that can be a drain and for some people it finishes them because they never get that back. They focus too much on the negative.

“He still has a long career ahead of him. He will certainly be feeling that he can impact Lampard’s Chelsea. If he can get himself right, he will believe he is as good as the players in the team and in the squad now.”

Chelsea have signed a lot of players and he's going to be well down in the pecking order, from looking at their website it looks like they haven't given him a squad number this season so his days are probably numbered. He's got two years left on his deal, could be a good move for him to come back under the wing of his old mentor.
Sounds good to me

higgs

Good scouting work there

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

SlowerThanPlatt

St Mirren are keen on a loan deal for Brandon Mason.

Buddies boss Jim Goodwin has targeted the Coventry City full-back to fill his left-back void.

The Paisley club have a few options but the 23-year-old looks to be in pole position before tonight’s deadline, if they can get a deal thrashed out.

Mason previously had a loan spell at Dundee United back in 2018 when he was still at Watford.

He moved to Coventry that same year and has been in and out of the team under Mark Robins.

Goodwin is looking to strengthen his defensive options and will look to use some of the money he got from the controversial sale of captain Kyle Magennis.

Hobo

Gavin Swankie scored for Arbroath today and I think we should sign him - purely because of his surname lol.

Bet he stitches the opposition up like a kipper and apparently has smokie skills.

Sky Blue Harry H

Gavin Swankie scored for Arbroath today and I think we should sign him - purely because of his surname lol.

Bet he stitches the opposition up like a kipper and apparently has smokie skills.

Sounds like a pantomime dame !

Sky Blue Harry H

Drysdale and Josh Eccles both played for Gillingham who beat Oxford 3-1 (Oxford battered them). Gillingham right up near the top. Imagine if they got promoted with Gillingham - would be funny. Either way, gaining invaluable experience. Eccles sounds like he's doing really well.

woody11462

Drysdale and Josh Eccles both played for Gillingham who beat Oxford 3-1 (Oxford battered them). Gillingham right up near the top. Imagine if they got promoted with Gillingham - would be funny. Either way, gaining invaluable experience. Eccles sounds like he's doing really well.

Drysdale being played in centre midfield apparently as well.

junglej13

Wonder whether Herbie Kane might be an option. Believe we were interested in him around the time we brought O'Hare in last year. His progression was slowed last season through injury but reportedly Liverpool might be prepared to let him leave permanently. The year before last he was in the League 1 team of the year and bagged 7 goals from midfield.

Users who are viewing this thread