Match Thread Reading (5 Viewers)

CanuckSkyBlue

Possibly, I still see Hamer, Sheaf and Kelly as too defensive if we have 2 up top. Hamer is progressive though so I suppose he could be the forward thinking player
I like Hamer further up the pitch in the same vein as Pogba. Adds a bit of spice and creativity when we need it in the final third.

shmmeee

Possibly, I still see Hamer, Sheaf and Kelly as too defensive if we have 2 up top. Hamer is progressive though so I suppose he could be the forward thinking player

Shipleys got his issues but what he gives probably better than anyone is his runs beyond the strikers, he made that first goal. Needs to step up a level for me in the more defensive aspects and his first touch, but he definitely offers something.

Also with a bit of work you could have Shipley and Hamer who can both fill in at WB when the actual WB is out of position. I wonder how Hilßner might fit into that role as well.

djr8369

Excellent win, Reading in a false position though. No way are they gonna be up there at the end of the season
Agreed. Nowhere near the pressing or intensity of some teams we’ve played and their xG I think more reflects a bit of luck than ruthlessness.

Evo1883

Hamer is the best central midfielder the club have had for years....... IF they can do something about his discipline

Skybluefaz

Shipleys got his issues but what he gives probably better than anyone is his runs beyond the strikers, he made that first goal. Needs to step up a level for me in the more defensive aspects and his first touch, but he definitely offers something.

Also with a bit of work you could have Shipley and Hamer who can both fill in at WB when the actual WB is out of position. I wonder how Hilßner might fit into that role as well.
Shipley had great moments but he's still a luxury player that we can't quite afford for me. At the moment anyway. Hilßner maybe, shame we don't have more cup games to try players out. The circumstances mean every game is an important one.

shmmeee

Shipley had great moments but he's still a luxury player that we can't quite afford for me. At the moment anyway. Hilßner maybe, shame we don't have more cup games to try players out. The circumstances mean every game is an important one.

I think he offers more in that CM role than O’Hare in many ways. It’s horses for courses, but I have always suspected Hilßner was brought in to be Shipley’s replacement.

South West Sky Blue

Tonight’s just a reminder that we as fans (as is 100% natural) will get too involved in wins and losses. We had a bit of luck tonight. We’d not been lucky before tonight!
Some disenchanted people will now be waxing lyricals about us. In reality most people expect us to finish 1 spot above relegation. That means more losses than wins. Stay calm. Don’t under-estimate us, but respect the league . It’s a much higher level

fernandopartridge

I disagree, his movement into space is great and makes a massive difference to us. He's not the bravest of players though but wouldn't call him a luxury

Tommo1993

I’ve had one rum. Planned to have more but it’s knocked me for six, so tired. What a lightweight. Will have to make up for it tomorrow.

CanuckSkyBlue

Tonight’s just a reminder that we as fans (as is 100% natural) will get too involved in wins and losses. We had a bit of luck tonight. We’d not been lucky before tonight!
Some disenchanted people will now be waxing lyricals about us. In reality most people expect us to finish 1 spot above relegation. That means more losses than wins. Stay calm. Don’t under-estimate us, but respect the league . It’s a much higher level
I agree but I think it was just nice to see us play with a bit of fire again. We needed a response and to be fair to Robins and co they gave us one.

oscillatewildly

Well I never saw that one coming. Quite literally - stayed at home and followed live text coverage on BBC football page.
For those familiar with 'Blackburngate' (from that midweek fixture 1993) this was a similar experience. Almost begrudging praise for anything we did and blinding light shining from Readings arse for what they did and were undoubtedly about to do.

djr8369

Much improved performance which will rightly do wonders for confidence and you could see what it meant to the players. I didn’t expect anything tonight but at least hoped we would play without fear and we didn’t.

That said I think Readings current league position flatters them. They didn’t play with anything near the intensity of some teams we’ve played and barely pressed us at all. Keeper also didn’t have a great game. Their xG rating also implies they’ve been somewhat fortunate but looks like Joao has a knack for scoring.

Two up top did help with the performance though and gave us a different dimension we’ve been lacking. Think it’s time to say goodbye to the 2 ACMs as we can’t play last seasons possession game at this level.

djr8369

Much improved performance which will rightly do wonders for confidence and you could see what it meant to the players. I didn’t expect anything tonight but at least hoped we would play without fear and we didn’t.

That said I think Readings current league position flatters them. They didn’t play with anything near the intensity of some teams we’ve played and barely pressed us at all. Keeper also didn’t have a great game. Their xG rating also implies they’ve been somewhat fortunate but looks like Joao has a knack for scoring.

Two up top did help with the performance though and gave us a different dimension we’ve been lacking. Think it’s time to say goodbye to the 2 ACMs as we can’t play last seasons possession game at this level.
Final point some awful decisions from the ref.

Esoterica

Final point some awful decisions from the ref.
I thought he was alright. Could have given those penalty handball shouts against Rose and Godden but didn't (neither of which were pens but I wouldn't have trusted VAR if they'd had the option to go upstairs). Only issue for me was he was a bit too card happy towards us and not them. But then we also had 3 or 4 little tug backs that he played advantage and let go. Even the Hamer ticking off, he didn't make enough attempt to play the ball when he blocked off their player, so I can see why it was given.

Users who are viewing this thread