Godden 6
Wright 7

Subs
Saka 6
Bidwell 6
Ayari 5
Simms 5

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
I would give Wilson 6 made two very good saves.
The rest is spot on in my opinion.

Grendel

Says the man who quotes my name even when I don’t post for months.

Anyway perhaps enjoy the sunshine - better use of your time and certainly ours than adding to your circa. 100,00 posts showcasing your ‘footballing expertise and balanced views’.

the strange thing is Danny if this argument had some credence consider this

I’ve not made any personal abuse whatsoever to Sakatomo but raised an observation from my perspective of the game

You in typical style disparage my negativity and that we all need to support the lads

Several posters have verbally abused Simms on here in a very vitriolic way - far more than I have in this instance - yet you say nothing

Very odd wouldn’t you say from my perspective?

Grendel

There's a few. Palmer, Dasilva and Sakamoto for starters.

With Norton-Cuffy gone we need someone to blame for goals they have no responsibility for.

Another poster literally obsessed with my opinion yet it’s an opinion shared by many other people

Hobo

Sakatomo for the older viewers gives me Roger Van Gool vibes

I can understand your concerns about Saka, but the Roger Van Gool comparison is a bit harsh? I don't think I ever saw him go past an opponent.

Saka needs time to adjust to Championship football. I am sure the club are fully aware of where he needs to develop? I think at the moment he is just seen as a potential impact sub who might offer something different. I agree with your concerns re Da Silva as well.

The reality is we are not in the market of buying finished articles. We buy players to develop. The Hamer and Gyokeres that left the club were far better players than when they joined. That is down to the coaching staff and the application of the individual player.

skybluecam

Wilson - Distribution shocking, and that third goal, I mean I ask you.

Back 3 - very uncoordinated. Two goals from the pocket behind the wing back and one almighty cock up.

Wing backs - Van Ewik is a real find. Da Silva I am not sure why we wanted him so desperately; totally at fault for their first

Midfield - outnumbered mainly. Not sure why Eccles is getting such a bad crit, as I thought he fought hard for the ball and if anything it was Sheaf's lack of creativity that was the problem as it threw everything onto Palmer. Palmer seemed to feel he had to produce a trick in order to break free, but they rarely came off. It would help him if he could find a way of shooting anywhere other than straight at the goalkeeper.

Godden. Is a problem. He has such an eye for an opportunity, particularly by just hanging back. But his support play for an outnumbered midfield is minimal. He is a line leader being forced to play in a new role late in his career. Answers on a postcard to M Robins, c/o The CBS Arena

Wright. A real handful, if a little slow. With someone like him available the quick clearance is always likely to lead to something. The third goal was all down to him.

The main mitigation is that only Wilson, MacFadz, and Sheaf were automatic choices last season. 2/10 outfield players
Third goal wasn't Wilson's fault at all, it's a lazy backpass from Thomas. What else was Ben supposed to do?

Grendel

You compared him to Van Gool lol.

When Van Gool arrived he was seen as a great signing and a highly skilled player with a maverick approach - he was th first player to be signed for 1 million DM when he moved to FC Koln where he had a good career

There is also obviously a vague link to Belgium

Van Gool was in the end an oddball signing that just did not fit into our system

Grendel

Considering his taste in music, I feel quite insulted.

Disturbingly these days I keep getting Sometimes by Erasure constantly going round in my head

shmmeee

They clearly have to be both but Robins prefers offensive wing backs hence why Dasilva plays over Bidwell.

We play two DMs. With no Hamer you want two fullbacks at WB too? 🤣 And I sure I saw him say drop a striker and Palmer as well. Man won’t be happy until we play ten at the back 🤣

Reactions: PVA

usskyblue

A short back pass aside; the biggest factor for conceding was bad decision making and poor execution of passes leading to turnovers higher up the pitch. They have fast and skillful players like Asprilla and Martins that will cause a lot of damage this season. It happened repeatedly, a slack pass further up the pitch lead to them carrying the ball at us in full flow, while we are backpedaling.

I still think Palmer needs to drop back slightly too, he’s too advanced. He needs to be the link between midfield and up front, not a third striker.

CCFCSteve

A short back pass aside; the biggest factor for conceding was bad decision making and poor execution of passes leading to turnovers higher up the pitch. They have fast and skillful players like Asprilla and Martins that will cause a lot of damage this season. It happened repeatedly, a slack pass further up the pitch lead to them carrying the ball at us in full flow, while we are backpedaling.

I still think Palmer needs to drop back slightly too, he’s too advanced. He needs to be the link between midfield and up front, not a third striker.

That’s where I actually thought sheaf and ayari were as culpable as Eccles yesterday. Losing possession in awful areas with poor/sloppy passing. Same as back three, they kept casually passing it into danger. Hopefully just an off day all round.

Agree with yours and others comments that Palmer might have to come a bit deeper. He put a big shift in yesterday but ultimately doesn’t get around the pitch as quickly as ohare, same as Eccles and sheaf don’t cover ground as quickly as hamer did. That’s just leaving us a bit short in the middle with the current formation.

Hiraeth

Palmer should have had 3 assists.

Some of his passes were very good
Is it possible to agree with this and yet still say that even though some of his passes are great, I can't blame our forwards and midfield for not entirely being on his wavelength.

Palmer sees and tries things most players wouldn't, must be hard for our other players to try to predict and adjust accordingly

DannyThomas_1981

the strange thing is Danny if this argument had some credence consider this

I’ve not made any personal abuse whatsoever to Sakatomo but raised an observation from my perspective of the game

You in typical style disparage my negativity and that we all need to support the lads

Several posters have verbally abused Simms on here in a very vitriolic way - far more than I have in this instance - yet you say nothing

Very odd wouldn’t you say from my perspective?
I understand your perspective Grendel and see how you get there. But it’s not 100% personal - even though I honestly see you as someone who has frequently gone over the line with singling out players for very one sided criticism.

I would say the following. If I’m paying attention to the nonsense on here (and frequently I don’t for my own sanity)- I will always try to defend a player against constant negativity and criticism that I see as completely unbalanced.

I’m seriously not selective in who I call out on here - I hate the concept of boo boys who are singled out for constant criticism by some on here - it’s destructive to our team.

Ooh Ah

Odd game. Don't think people are giving Watford enough credit. Great press, then rapid counters from our errors created overloads behind our WB's (as did Swansea) and centre midfield, which Eccles & Thomas struggled to contain. Unsurprisingly given inexperience.

It also highlighted where we are unbalanced. Most issues highlighted already but not sure Godden and Palmer can be in same team without Hamer connecting front and covering back; right footer at LCB will be targeted in a press. Training ground can sort out getting the back three/DM's to better pivot. Fascinated to see how Robins develops this exciting squad in next couple of months.

DannyThomas_1981

Odd game. Don't think people are giving Watford enough credit. Great press, then rapid counters from our errors created overloads behind our WB's (as did Swansea) and centre midfield, which Eccles & Thomas struggled to contain. Unsurprisingly given inexperience.

It also highlighted where we are unbalanced. Most issues highlighted already but not sure Godden and Palmer can be in same team without Hamer connecting front and covering back; right footer at LCB will be targeted in a press. Training ground can sort out getting the back three/DM's to better pivot. Fascinated to see how Robins develops this exciting squad in next couple of months.
Great post 👍

torchomatic

If Palmer sorts his shooting out, he keeps that spot. If he doesn't, or O'Hare recovers, he won't, but I love watching him play.

He's so close to being a special player at this level and I thought he did plenty out of possession today vs. other games I've seen.
That's all true, but he also needs to know when to do the flashy stuff and when not to.

mmttww

That's all true, but he also needs to know when to do the flashy stuff and when not to.
Not sold on this take. I remember one flash thing he tried vs. Watford that didn't come off - late 2nd half, flick over the top in to the area.

I think his decision making is fine he just doesn't execute things well enough once he's in position. Shots were poor, final pass not 100%.

Was in at least two positions vs. Watford where even a half decent shot would get a him a goal. Power and placement weren't right.

Feel like he's a really small improvement away from getting goals and assists. If he doesn't make that improvement, he'll get dropped eventually.

Hertsccfc

Not sold on this take. I remember one flash thing he tried vs. Watford that didn't come off - late 2nd half, flick over the top in to the area.

I think his decision making is fine he just doesn't execute things well enough once he's in position. Shots were poor, final pass not 100%.

Was in at least two positions vs. Watford where even a half decent shot would get a him a goal. Power and placement weren't right.

Feel like he's a really small improvement away from getting goals and assists. If he doesn't make that improvement, he'll get dropped eventually.
Interestingly I agree with both of you even though you express different opinions. I do think there are occasions when Palmer could play the ball more simply. However I also think he is often very close to being really effective but lacks that final bit to score or create for others. Maybe that is due to his lack of stamina in the end or, more positively, that it will come with more games. I guess only time will tell. I just hope he remains fit. At the moment he is frustratingly close to being a great player at this level, but we need him to take that last step.

napolimp

Interestingly I agree with both of you even though you express different opinions. I do think there are occasions when Palmer could play the ball more simply. However I also think he is often very close to being really effective but lacks that final bit to score or create for others. Maybe that is due to his lack of stamina in the end or, more positively, that it will come with more games. I guess only time will tell. I just hope he remains fit. At the moment he is frustratingly close to being a great player at this level, but we need him to take that last step.

This can't be right, the bloke sat behind me spends entire matches screaming that Palmer is a "useless twat, and you're saying that he's decent?

Grendel

No one has said this or anything close. You sure you don't just massively fancy him and you can't process those feelings? Overcompensating?

I guess this is an intelligent comment.

Grendel

Grendel

Do people not watch Palmer come back and tackle? Just pretend it never happened cos doesn't fit their narrative?

Your cousin not found your login?

Users who are viewing this thread