Ratings v Notts Co (1 Viewer)

JWC

Thanks lads.

I've now read it and....well he's entitled to express an opinion but I think giving a dude a 9 for 20 minutes' work is a bit over the top!

I read that and was a bit confused. I thought Vincenti was decent and a 4 was very harsh. I saw that he got involved on twitter to defend himself, light heartedly mind, but fair play. He looks like he'll be useful for us this season.

stupot07

I read that and was a bit confused. I thought Vincenti was decent and a 4 was very harsh. I saw that he got involved on twitter to defend himself, light heartedly mind, but fair play. He looks like he'll be useful for us this season.
He did play well.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Reactions: JWC

harvey098

I don't understand why ratings for O'brien are so low? I felt really comfortable having him in goal. Came for and claimed every opportunity successfully and prevented a couple of chances being brave and diving in at feet. I would be happy to keep him as first choice.

The Penguin

I do think Vincenti gave the ball away a bit too much for my liking, but other than that he was alright. I stand by my thought that he'll do well for us.

Reactions: JWC

stevefloyd

I am one of Beavon's biggest fans, but I don't think he had that good a game yesterday.

Notts County were very clever with him, constantly nudging him and knocking him out of his stride. Hardly gave him an ounce of space all game.

He did work tremendously hard though, but not a lot went right for him all game. He was constantly tumbling over such was the close attention he was receiving.
Otis I have given you a like for using 'Tumbling' made I larf

Otis

Thanks lads.

I've now read it and....well he's entitled to express an opinion but I think giving a dude a 9 for 20 minutes' work is a bit over the top!
And I don't see how you can give 9 to a player (Kelly) whose corners were pretty much universally woeful.

Surely that is exactly the same as Vincenti 'kept giving the ball away'

A stack load of wasted corners yesterday from Kelly. That surely has to knock his marks down slightly at least.

stevefloyd

I will give all the players a 7 except for the ones I give an 8 and a couple of 9's................. Also in the farcical report above by Stevie Wonder why do they keep saying about Jones he is 1 footed FFS most players are and didn't he score the 2nd with his right foot !!!!

covcity4life

Kellu played v well in yhr middle and the corners were not woeful at all. Too close to keeper surr but woe ful ks not making it past first man or going over everyone. All kellys corners still made their keeper work

JWC

I do think Vincenti gave the ball away a bit too much for my liking, but other than that he was alright. I stand by my thought that he'll do well for us.

Fair enough. I was pleased that we have someone to aim at from a long goal kick too, he won a lot in the air. Not surprising given his height but it feels like we haven't had a focal point like that for ages

Otis

Kellu played v well in yhr middle and the corners were not woeful at all. Too close to keeper surr but woe ful ks not making it past first man or going over everyone. All kellys corners still made their keeper work
Okay, accept that 'woeful' is a bit too harsh, but they were poor.

I thought Kelly played very well, but here I am talking about in the grand scheme of things of this guy's ratings. I don't see how you can give Kelly 9 but then Vincenti 4.

Would also say the keeper had pretty easy claims to make on the corners. Didn't really have to work very hard did he.

Jones' corners from the other side were much better.

JWC

Yep, I rated Kelly too. Him & Doyle look like they could make a great partnership.

I thought O'Brien was solid and the options we have now up front are a good sign too. I know it was only the first game but all-round thumbs up from me.

Otis

Think everyones being a bit tough on vicenti, i thought he won most his flick ons and made a good pass for our 1st goal. Hes the polar opposite of jones and we need to understand this. Hes gonna be a great asset for us this season
Agreed.

andrew.roberts

And I don't see how you can give 9 to a player (Kelly) whose corners were pretty much universally woeful.

Surely that is exactly the same as Vincenti 'kept giving the ball away'

A stack load of wasted corners yesterday from Kelly. That surely has to knock his marks down slightly at least.
I think we were really wasteful with corners and dead ball situations yesterday. The corners in particular were practically all floated in and far too close to the keeper. A bit of variation with a few whipped in would have been good to see but apart from that it was a promising solid performance and I especially liked the look of Grimmer who seemed to grow into the game.

Liquid Gold

Again I think Vincenti was one of our best players. I can understand knocking a mark off because of a few wayward passes but the game settled into a long ball rhythm and he was our first outlet, I think he lost 1 header out of about 20 all day, even ones he had no right winning. Those headers went to team mates too. That allows the team time to push up the pitch and restrict the opposition play.

How many times in recent years have we punted the ball up long to a small guy and then seen it come straight back at us, without PV we'd have seen that more yesterday. I can see he's going to be one that divides opinion but, for me, he does the less glamorous stuff to allow the team to function.

As for O'Brien, I really hope he keeps his place after that. By the end of the second half I wasn't worried at all with the balls into the box, he seemed to catch everything and showed he can punch when needed. I was particularly impressed with the way he judged the flight of that awkward bounce in the box in the first half and came out a couple of times to beat the striker to the ball. I agree we haven't seen too much of his shot stopping but he deserves a chance to show what he's capable of.

stevefloyd

O'Brien is very very vocal too.... As to Vincenti he is 1 awkward guy to deal with, yes he looks ungainly but he has a canny knack of coming out of a challenge with the ball, never know what he's gonna do so if it baffles us just think what the opposition have to deal with, initially when I seen him I thought hmmm not so good but after watching a few matches pre season and yesterday I like what he brings to the team although I am not sure what :)

Astute

As for O'Brien, I really hope he keeps his place after that. By the end of the second half I wasn't worried at all with the balls into the box, he seemed to catch everything and showed he can punch when needed. I was particularly impressed with the way he judged the flight of that awkward bounce in the box in the first half and came out a couple of times to beat the striker to the ball. I agree we haven't seen too much of his shot stopping but he deserves a chance to show what he's capable of.

This is why I don't get the low scores for O'Brien from some people. Mainly because he didn't have shots to save. But if he would have played like we are used to from a GK they would have had more chances. So then he would have to make saves. He seems to command his area so well. We are frequently going to come against teams playing the high ball into our area. I say bring it on.

It is so much better being able to relax during a game than shitting yourself each time the ball comes into our half.

Fergusons_Beard

What interesting is that McNulty ran around getting headers and buzzing around being a nuisance and so did Doyle.

But Doyle gets marked higher!

Not to say that Doyle didn't play well-him and Liam are very combative & should dominate most midfields.

Vincenti laid off the ball superbly for Jones first goal, had quite a few great touches and won most headers!

McDonald my man of the match-marshalled 2 old Wiley campaigners in Stead and Amiobi really well. (They will score a load in this division).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Otis

Again I think Vincenti was one of our best players. I can understand knocking a mark off because of a few wayward passes but the game settled into a long ball rhythm and he was our first outlet, I think he lost 1 header out of about 20 all day, even ones he had no right winning. Those headers went to team mates too. That allows the team time to push up the pitch and restrict the opposition play.

How many times in recent years have we punted the ball up long to a small guy and then seen it come straight back at us, without PV we'd have seen that more yesterday. I can see he's going to be one that divides opinion but, for me, he does the less glamorous stuff to allow the team to function.

Pretty much all cushioned well directed headers too.Very deliberate and really helped bring team mates into play.

I don't think we can say anyone played badly and Vincenti was a constant outlet for us all game long.

Mucca Mad Boys

O'Brien - looked a tad nervy at times, but wasn't really tested and made some good catches and kicks. 7
Grimmer - good in defence, linked up with Jones and got forward well, few disappointing crosses. 7
Hyam - of our two CBs, looked less assured than McDonald, but coped fine and will be a useful squad player. 7
McDonald - really impressed, physical presence as well as demonstrating some good footwork when he cleared well to start a move and took on a player to make a cross. 8
Stokes - was solid, will hopefully offer more going forward this season. 6
Kelly - him and Doyle bossed the midfield. Tackled well, and distributed well. I liked a foul he committed in the first half where he clattered their man, shows we have bite in our squad this season. 8
Doyle - my MOTM. He protected the defence really well epitomised when he broke up a dangerous County attack in the second half. Exactly the kind of leader we need if we are to get out of this division. 9
Jones - shut up a lot of people with yesterday's performance. Put in some dangerous crosses, and got a really well-rounded hat-trick scoring from both wings. Just misses out on MOTM. 9
McNulty - on another day he grabs a goal or two. Scuffed a good opportunity and their keeper denied a good shot from him. Link up play was good and the only thing missing was a goal. 7
Vincenti - seems to have divided opinion somewhat. Got an assist, got stuck into tackles, and provided an outlet to build from with his headers. Very solid outing and will be key in games against physical teams. 8
Beavon - no goal, but linked up well, won a few headers he had no right to win, and was generally a pain for the County players, he epitomises the pressing style we want to play and will be useful this year. 7

Subs:

Biamou - good pass for the assist but looked a tad suspect with an awful pass prior to that. His pace clearly gave the opposition something to think about and did a job. 7
Nazon - one notable touch on the ball and we score from a great bit of individual play. 7

Robins - efficient performance and the team did the basics well. Debutants performed well and it looks like this team will do well this year. Both subs got assists and we got a 3-0 against a good physical team that would have caused us problems last year. 9

Nonleagueherewecome

I will give all the players a 7 except for the ones I give an 8 and a couple of 9's................. Also in the farcical report above by Stevie Wonder why do they keep saying about Jones he is 1 footed FFS most players are and didn't he score the 2nd with his right foot !!!!

He sure did, great finish! My mate met him at one of the games in Nuneaton last weekend and had a bit of a chinwag. He says he came over as a really nice lad and he said that Robins has been doing a lot of coaching with him: trying to improve his decision making, awareness, encouraging him to do more than just be a "ball carrier" (which is what Mowbray labelled him as in a post-match interview, if I recall) and also on using his right foot more. I don't think he'd have taken that with his right last season.

mds

Only one mistake Vincente made thats sticks to mind ended with them hitting the post, had that gone in it may have been a totally different outcome and maybe some justified stick coming his way, he, we got lucky for once
Oih, Peter, mostly a friendly bunch on here, dont be afraid of signing up and defending yourself here also.

Astute

What interesting is that McNulty ran around getting headers and buzzing around being a nuisance and so did Doyle.

But Doyle gets marked higher!

Not to say that Doyle didn't play well-him and Liam are very combative & should dominate most midfields.

Vincenti laid off the ball superbly for Jones first goal, had quite a few great touches and won most headers!

McDonald my man of the match-marshalled 2 old Wiley campaigners in Stead and Amiobi really well. (They will score a load in this division).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Doyle helped us to control the game. He helped keep the players together. Did nothing fancy. Didn't let anyone go past him. Good solid tackles. The enforcer we have been missing for years.

Yes there was some other good performances. But he was the glue that kept it together.

Users who are viewing this thread