Rail and bus travel from city centre (1 Viewer)

chiefdave

The football club is not responsible for the provision of public transport, I agree with Boddy it should not have to fund any transport from anywhere.
From what I can make out it was made the responsibility of the stadium operators to have a green travel plan in place so that 25% or less of people attending any event arrive by car.

When the stadium first opened there were buses from all over the city, park and ride, park and walk and possibly other options I've forgotten about but that has all dropped away.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

The football club is not responsible for the provision of public transport, I agree with Boddy it should not have to fund any transport from anywhere.

it's not their responsibility but would it beneficial for them to do it? Improve the matchday experience and make people more likely to return regularly?

A partnership with local bus/coach firms could help. Like others have said, increase the ticket price but offer free travel on certain services. The situation of travel to and from the ground cannot continue as it is, especially if crowds continue to be decent.

AOM

Do the trains run for Wasps games or are they in the same boat as us?
If they also don't get a working train on matchdays, is it not also in their interests to get something up and running?

pusbccfc

Do the trains run for Wasps games or are they in the same boat as us?
If they also don't get a working train on matchdays, is it not also in their interests to get something up and running?

Nope and they have stopped doing shuttles to the ground from the station now.

Chip Batch

I went early on Saturday and got the train from town to the arena at 12:17. It took 7 minutes. We watched the early game on Sky in the new bar at the ground.

I’m only a 15 minute walk from the main station, so it was so easy compared to all the messing around trying to drive through heavy traffic and sit in the car park for half an hour after the game, park and walk from a mate’s house or get an Uber. It took all the hassle out of it. Though it does mean that it’s an early start on the beer. Not sure if I’ll want that every game, and wouldn’t midweek.

Such a shame the train can’t run as normal nearer the game - which from what I remember was the whole reason the station was built. Massive cock-up in the execution of it all from planning stage onwards. The public transport options up there are a joke. Especially in the current climate.

shmmeee

Isn't there an issue that the trains can't turn round? I've got a vague memory of something being done at Nuneaton, and possibly Cov, stations to allow trains to go Cov - Ricoh - Bermuda and back.

There was also talk that there aren't enough trains to run a shuttle service as the track hasn't been upgraded to the latest specification. Not sure if that's true or just an excuse from the train company.

Is there any plan for the light rail system to cover that side of the city? Appreciate that is likely years away but would be handy to have as many options as possible.

Yeah it’s on the planned route.

1636532112858.jpeg

hill83

I went early on Saturday and got the train from town to the arena at 12:17. It took 7 minutes. We watched the early game on Sky in the new bar at the ground.

I’m only a 15 minute walk from the main station, so it was so easy compared to all the messing around trying to drive through heavy traffic and sit in the car park for half an hour after the game, park and walk from a mate’s house or get an Uber. It took all the hassle out of it. Though it does mean that it’s an early start on the beer. Not sure if I’ll want that every game, and wouldn’t midweek.

Such a shame the train can’t run as normal nearer the game - which from what I remember was the whole reason the station was built. Massive cock-up in the execution of it all from planning stage onwards. The public transport options up there are a joke. Especially in the current climate.

A 12:24 start on the beer for a 19:45 kickoff is a bit keen. Even for me.

robbiethemole

For all the use they get from it, they should do a “Beeching” and take the track up. It would make plenty of extra parking spaces we’ll need in the Premier League. Think of all the diesel fumes from the trains that run along there now, getting rid of them would help climate change too

Marty

Think they should also improve bicycle facilities, I emailed the Arena a few months ago regarding this but didn't hear back.

Just a small area to change and a few lockers to leave bags and equipment in. Wouldn't mind paying to use it either.

WestEndAgro

I've been using the train for most games this season, 12.15 platform 4 direct to the Ricoh, I've also got it back on two occasions.
If the train isn't available they put replacement buses on from the station which i used for the Swansea game.

Chip Batch

I've been using the train for most games this season, 12.15 platform 4 direct to the Ricoh, I've also got it back on two occasions.
If the train isn't available they put replacement buses on from the station which i used for the Swansea game.

What time does it start running again after the game?

covboy1987

The station is tiny - even if trains were laid on there would only be two carriages and it would be total carnage
How did these decision making people get into their position - The arena station was estimated cost at almost £13.6 million pounds to build back in 2016 (probably cost more) absolute pathetic of money as its hardly used - Building a platform to take at least 15 carriages would of course cost more but would have been used football/rugby/concerts – There was talk of converting old London tube stock

Saddlebrains

Agree

Think il be swerving this and watching from home.

4thousand pissed up angry brummies milling about unable to get home. In the dark, and hopefully after a loss, is a recipe for probably the worst disorder we've seen in a long time

fernandopartridge

For all the use they get from it, they should do a “Beeching” and take the track up. It would make plenty of extra parking spaces we’ll need in the Premier League. Think of all the diesel fumes from the trains that run along there now, getting rid of them would help climate change too

The pollution from a train running along a line is nothing compared to hundreds of cars.

fernandopartridge

The southband platform has space for 6 car trains, the northbound has space for 3 car trains (which is stupid really). The platforms on each side should be sufficient for 6 cars and they should run a shuttle between Coventry and Nuneaton on matchdays. Birmingham fans can get the train to Coventry or Nuneaton and go from there.

It's frustrating that £80m+ was spent on the new car park building at Cov station yet the station has no actual extra capacity, talk about vanity.

chiefdave

If they postpone it when will they play it? Infrastructure isn't going to magically appear. If they were that concerned about trouble they could bubble them like they do with Southampton v Portsmouth but it really would be overkill. If they are certain there is going to be trouble then just stick a line of police and stewards between the two sets of fans in the stadium and keep them in for 10 - 15 minutes at the end.

But as I keep saying unless we genuinely think our fans behaviour is worse than pretty much every other club in the country those sort of steps shouldn't be needed at a properly managed stadium.
The southband platform has space for 6 car trains, the northbound has space for 3 car trains (which is stupid really).
When I was living down south the last train back from London was a slow train that stopped at every shitty little station. Some where the train was too long for the platform. Depending how short the platform was they'd either put out an announcement saying the last carriage or two wouldn't be opening doors and to move if you needed to get off at the next stop or they'd pull into the station for the first set of carriages and when they were sorted move the train a bit for the next set of carriages. Is there any reason that can't be done at the stadium to increase capacity?

fernandopartridge

When I was living down south the last train back from London was a slow train that stopped at every shitty little station. Some where the train was too long for the platform. Depending how short the platform was they'd either put out an announcement saying the last carriage or two wouldn't be opening doors and to move if you needed to get off at the next stop or they'd pull into the station for the first set of carriages and when they were sorted move the train a bit for the next set of carriages. Is there any reason that can't be done at the stadium to increase capacity?

It could be but I suppose it's probably easier to do with a common or garden train not one that is possibly full of football fans. That said, I don't think they have the trains to do it. It is a classic example of the stupidity of rail privatisation, it's a complete mess of non-aligned priorities.

Marty

If they postpone it when will they play it? Infrastructure isn't going to magically appear. If they were that concerned about trouble they could bubble them like they do with Southampton v Portsmouth but it really would be overkill. If they are certain there is going to be trouble then just stick a line of police and stewards between the two sets of fans in the stadium and keep them in for 10 - 15 minutes at the end.

But as I keep saying unless we genuinely think our fans behaviour is worse than pretty much every other club in the country those sort of steps shouldn't be needed at a properly managed stadium.

It's hard enough as it is to get people to move past the entrance to the train as it is. Think best long term solution for the train is to build a separate line they can hold a good size train, and then release it after the kick off, then let the normal service pick up the stragglers.

Grendel

I hope Greta sees this expert understanding on fuel pollution. She will be wanting you on her team

no_loyalty

Agree

Think il be swerving this and watching from home.

4thousand pissed up angry brummies milling about unable to get home. In the dark, and hopefully after a loss, is a recipe for probably the worst disorder we've seen in a long time

Keep them in the ground for 20 mins after the game, although you would still get some of our idiots waiting for them to come out.

Users who are viewing this thread