Racist remark towards a coventry player (1 Viewer)

robbiethemole

Out of curiosity, do we have any disabled people on this forum? I am. The definition of disabled is quite broad, and I have mobility issues (not age ‘appropriate’ but caused my spine issues), so am not “spastic” by the actual definition of the word. But it’s an insult that gets thrown at all disabled people.

I even think abuse of disabled people is, in some ways, worse than abuse of people of colour. The colour of your skin doesn’t make you less capable of doing things. It is literally an insult based on bigotry. Discrimination of disabled people highlights the ‘flaws’ that we are all acutely aware that we possess. You say to someone that they have brown skin as an insult, and there’s literally no basis for thinking that a black / brown / pink / green person is any less capable than a white person. But disabled people obviously are less capable.It’s the very meaning of the word “disabled”. To point that out to us isn’t helpful and causes pain and resentment.

So if anyone should take offence at @hill83 comments, it’s me.

But, he knew he’d said the wrong thing. We all say the wrong thing sometimes. It’s a good example of why we need to educate people rather than piling in and putting them down. Hill changed his stance. How many of the Millwall cunts have ever apologised for their clearly racist stance? None, because they can’t see that it’s wrong. Hill did.

If we, as a society, want to get past these kinds of discrimination, then we need to be able to accept it when someone says they were wrong. I’d put good money on it that Hill doesn’t use that word again on this forum. That’s the difference. If we all can learn when we fuck up, and try our best not to repeat the mistake - what more can we ask for?

I have rheumatoid athritis and have mobility issues, hence the recent problems with hips and knees. I have had a blue badge for 18 years now and get PIP, but not higher rate. I also have a spinal compression which means my legs are numb below the knees. I suppose I am disabled but to look at me if you didn't know it's not obvious. and yes over the years I've had the "you don't look disabled "thrown at me.

letsallsingtogether

The lack of asian footballers is strange. Having been involved in grass roots football most of my life there were never many Asian lads in the local teams. There are a few teams that contain all Asian lads. Maybe asian lads don’t feel like they’d be included in dressing rooms or on team nights out because of their differing culture? This is pure speculation as I’ve never spoken to anyone as to why this is the case.
Scouts aren’t out watching all-Asian teams unfortunately so they may not even spot the players with loads of potential. It’s a very interesting, multi faceted conversation that probably deserves a thread of its own to be honest
My lad played for an asian team at 16 fuck me they used to get loads of shit from players and parents.

kg82

I just like that you're talking about the rights & wrongs of various "isms" while dressed as a giant bird
This thread has got so fucking far off topic, that I’m kind of expecting this post to be picked up for transphobia in the next few pages.

Reactions: COV

COV

This thread has got so fucking far off topic, that I’m kind of expecting this post to be picked up for transphobia in the next few pages.

i know- man dressed in bird suit with an owl fetish losing it & kicking off at people

rob9872

Tbf I am scared of robots in disguise

• Haha
Reactions: COV

rob9872

Morning folks!

I was up thinking about this thread in bed last night and tbh doing a bit of self-reflection. Whilst I've consistently been respectful to not posting and racial or homophobic slurs, I have 10 years+ of posting history and searched for some fairly unpleasant words in my history to see if I had made any faux pars over the years.

I must apologise for a number of occasions where I've used the term 'moron' which tbh is not much better than someone typing 'spastic' or other forms. Thankfully I've not gone that far, but there are many (and I'm not naming) who have colourful history including a number of names who have posted on this thread, who have also used the terms aforementioned and also 'mong' among others has pages and pages of history.

I think as a collective, instead of crying about who said what, now is a good time to draw a line under it and should self-police to call each other out (without turning it into a huge row) on our use of such words or other offensive terms whenever we see them, as you don't know who it might offend.

Disclaimer - that doesn't mean we reintroduce the spelling or grammar police and I mean specifics about character or personal trait, not actual bad language, as I refuse to stop using the word 'c**t' which is not only one of my favourites, but if it offends you then you probably are one :)

Peter Billing Eyes

I’m not a regular poster on here, but Hill always seems one of the more valuable commentators amongst the palette of visitors. I wouldn’t want to see him disappear. I’m sure his spitfire comment is hurting him as much as those who feel aggrieved at the nature of what was said. I for one don’t agree with any sort of discrimination - you essentially have good and bad in all and but get the impression that he is a decent bloke who had an off moment.

Last edited:

wingy

Morning folks!

I was up thinking about this thread in bed last night and tbh doing a bit of self-reflection. Whilst I've consistently been respectful to not posting and racial or homophobic slurs, I have 10 years+ of posting history and searched for some fairly unpleasant words in my history to see if I had made any faux pars over the years.

I must apologise for a number of occasions where I've used the term 'moron' which tbh is not much better than someone typing 'spastic' or other forms. Thankfully I've not gone that far, but there are many (and I'm not naming) who have colourful history including a number of names who have posted on this thread, who have also used the terms aforementioned and also 'mong' among others has pages and pages of history.

I think as a collective, instead of crying about who said what, now is a good time to draw a line under it and should self-police to call each other out (without turning it into a huge row) on our use of such words or other offensive terms whenever we see them, as you don't know who it might offend.

Disclaimer - that doesn't mean we reintroduce the spelling or grammar police and I mean specifics about character or personal trait, not actual bad language, as I refuse to stop using the word 'c**t' which is not only one of my favourites, but if it offends you then you probably are one :)
It has felt like the scope has widened and frequency increased on here over quite a few months tbf,I put it down to the effects of restrictions while under Covid and now the release ,the culture wars, Brexit etc.
But it could be just me.

Greggs

I’m not a regular poster on here, but Hill always seems one of the more valuable commentators amongst the palette of visitors. I wouldn’t want to see him disappear. I’m sure his spitfire comment is hurting him as much as those who feel aggrieved at the nature of what was said. I for one don’t agree with any sort of discrimination - you essentially have good and bad in all and but get the impression that he is a decent bloke who had an off moment.
Ok. So we forgive and forget discrimination of the less abled, but if you slag off a black person you get hung. Seems fair and not at all hypocritical.

rob9872

Ok. So we forgive and forget discrimination of the less abled, but if you slag off a black person you get hung. Seems fair and not at all hypocritical.
I posted above kinda hoping in the cold light of day that on reflection this would now calm down and return to some normality. I also specifically said on the post above that I wouldn't identify, but as you keep raising levels of hypocrisy based on this single issue about a particular word, then it would be wrong if I didn't point out that a number of those posts that contained the word 'moron' were from you.

By definition: Moron is a term once used in psychology and psychiatry to denote mild intellectual disability. The term was closely tied with the American eugenics movement. Once the term became popularized, it fell out of use by the psychological community, as it was used more commonly as an insult than as a psychological term.

I will happily delete this post later today once you've had an opportunity to view, but I don't think it gives you ground to keep on banging that same drum. I think we all agree the term used was unacceptable and inappropriate, but now feels like a good time to close the thread or certainly this part of the argument.

Greggs

I posted above kinda hoping in the cold light of day that on reflection this would now calm down and return to some normality. I also specifically said on the post above that I wouldn't identify, but as you keep raising levels of hypocrisy based on this single issue about a particular word, then it would be wrong if I didn't point out that a number of those posts that contained the word 'moron' were from you.

By definition: Moron is a term once used in psychology and psychiatry to denote mild intellectual disability. The term was closely tied with the American eugenics movement. Once the term became popularized, it fell out of use by the psychological community, as it was used more commonly as an insult than as a psychological term.

I will happily delete this post later today once you've had an opportunity to view, but I don't think it gives you ground to keep on banging that same drum. I think we all agree the term used was unacceptable and inappropriate, but now feels like a good time to close the thread or certainly this part of the argument.
Do you think hill would have reacted if someone called a member of his family a derogatory name regarding their race? Or would you just call him out for 'banging the drum'?
You're forgiving him because you like him. So ignore discrimination if the person saying it is your mate......?

rob9872

Do you think hill would have reacted if someone called a member of his family a derogatory name regarding their race?
You're forgiving him because you like him. So ignore discrimination if the person saying it is your mate......?
I've not forgiven anyone, it's not my place and I don't get offended on his or your behalf. If you note all of my posts on here are general not specific and remained respectful to neither one side or another. The point I was making here was whilst as a collective we understand your anger and hurt, which we can only empathise with, repeating the same argument and saying it's hypocritical, I pointed out the hypocrisy in your own posting history. Nothing more or less, it's not my row, but if mud is being slung then it must remain balanced.

Greggs

I've not forgiven anyone, it's not my place and I don't get offended on his or your behalf. If you note all of my posts on here are general not specific and remained respectful to neither one side or another. The point I was making here was whilst as a collective we understand your anger and hurt, which we can only empathise with, repeating the same argument and saying it's hypocritical, I pointed out the hypocrisy in your own posting history. Nothing more or less, it's not my row, but if mud is being slung then it must remain balanced.
Balanced???? Hahahaha have a word! Just imagine the outrage if I'd have said a racist comment towards hill. Would everything be cool 24 hours later? People need to check their moral compass

rob9872

Balanced???? Hahahaha have a word! Just imagine the outrage if I'd have said a racist comment towards hill. Would everything be cool 24 hours later? People need to check their moral compass
I'm not quite sure why you keep referring specifically to Hill regarding someone hypothetically posting something racial. A comparison would be hi complaining whilst being racist himself which to my knowledge he never has.

You're responding to my comment about being rightly outraged at a poster using the word 'spastic' but at the same time calling others 'morons'.

This is what I mean by balance and not you v anyone else. That's your beef and I can't say what you feel nor would I try to, simply showing your own hypocrisy, I'm not sure why you are now arguing with me rather than acknowledging it and moving on.

Greggs

I'm not quite sure why you keep referring specifically to Hill regarding someone hypothetically posting something racial. A comparison would be hi complaining whilst being racist himself which to my knowledge he never has.

You're responding to my comment about being rightly outraged at a poster using the word 'spastic' but at the same time calling others 'morons'.

This is what I mean by balance and not you v anyone else. That's your beef and I can't say what you feel nor would I try to, simply showing your own hypocrisy, I'm not sure why you are now arguing with me rather than acknowledging it and moving on.
Hill was on here getting aggressive and threatening to have it out with anyone who offended him racially......Get my point?!

Greggs

Ahhhhhh I'm the hypocrite! This site gets worse! Unreal!!!

rob9872

Hill was on here getting aggressive and threatening to have it out with anyone who offended him racially......Get my point?!
I didnt see that, but if he did I dont blame him.

In the same way I asked others to apologise you for any offecnce they may have caused as they can't know what you're feeling and could understand if you ha said the same about wanting to take them on.

... but you are now purposely deflecting the point I'm making which was that was before I read that you had posted 'moron'. You calling someone a 'moron' is at best only marginally better than someone using the term 'spastic' and yet you're consistently refusing to accept that.

Greggs

I didnt see that, but if he did I dont blame him.

In the same way I asked others to apologise you for any offecnce they may have caused as they can't know what you're feeling and could understand if you ha said the same about wanting to take them on.

... but you are now purposely deflecting the point I'm making which was that was before I read that you had posted 'moron'. You calling someone a 'moron' is at best only marginally better than someone using the term 'spastic' and yet you're consistently refusing to accept that.
I wasnt on here protesting against discrimination though was I? He protested and got aggressive, then called someone a discriminatory name. Odd and hypocritical

rob9872

I'm done on this thread now. In fact I wish I hadn't read it as it's so far from topic.

Carry on all, as you were!

Greggs

T
I'm done on this thread now. In fact I wish I hadn't read it as it's so far from topic.

Carry on all, as you were!
There we go. Change the subject because you wont admit the truth. Discrimination is fine as long as you like the bloke who said it. Bunch of clowns

TomRad85

Ahhhhhh I'm the hypocrite! This site gets worse! Unreal!!!
Mate, you have a point but you probably need to drop it.
I'm one of those not really offended by words and don't think anything is out of bounds for a joke, but I know the Internet is full of people not like me, also its not for me to tell people what they should and shouldn't be offended by so I'm quite careful on public forums. Hill wasn't but I'll add what others have said that he seems like a decent guy (even though he said he didn't want defending.)
The hypocrisy lies with many who liked his post and many who have defended him. Among them people that would happily cancel the shit out of someone for a 10 year old tweet if it was made by someone they didn't like. Those people probably need to have a look in the mirror and think about what they do and don't believe.
By not letting go after what seems a sincere apology you are being no different to those people. Be the bigger man, move on and let's get back to talking football.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Greggs

All fucking sat their slagging off Milwall fans for their discriminatory behaviour, yet end up writing paragraphs of acceptance for your leader Hill and his discriminatory views.
You're all an embarrassment and as bad as the milwall fans for condoning discrimination
I'm one of those not really offended by words and don't think anything is out of bounds for a joke, but I know the Internet is full of people not like me, also its not for me to tell people what they should and shouldn't be offended by so I'm quite careful on public forums. Hill wasn't but I'll add what others have said that he seems like a decent guy (even though he said he didn't want defending.)
The hypocrisy lies with many who liked his post and many who have defended him. Among them people that would happily cancel the shit out of someone for a 10 year old tweet if it was made by someone they didn't like. Those people probably need to have a look in the mirror and think about what they do and don't believe.
By not letting go after what seems a sincere apology you are being no different to those people. Be the bigger man, move on and let's get back to talking football.

Why should I drop it? Would people be so keen for me to drop it if I'd made a racial slur?
Clowns on here writing paragraphs of justification for what he said. Makes them as bad as the milwall fans for condoning racism.

hill83

Mate. I haven’t got discriminatory views against disabled people. I didn’t directly and purposely attack someone because they were disabled. I would never fucking do that, it would be ridiculous. You suggesting saying shit about or to my family or me would be directly targeting. I said a word I shouldn’t have said but I’ve had enough of your continuing character assassination.

Greggs

Cheers though mate, appreciated

Greggs

Mate. I haven’t got discriminatory views against disabled people. I didn’t directly and purposely attack someone because they were disabled. I would never fucking do that, it would be ridiculous. You suggesting saying shit about or to my family or me would be directly targeting. I said a word I shouldn’t have said but I’ve had enough of your continuing character assassination.
What you gonna do about it ?????

Greggs

So everyone has to shut up because you've spoken?
So if I'd used the n-word but said it was just an accident, all forgiven? Doubt it. Glad to sort it man to man though

hill83

And what am I doing if we meet. Apologising again? I’ll happily meet and buy you a pint.

Greggs

And what am I doing if we meet. Apologising again? I’ll happily meet and buy you a pint.
You tell me. Apparently I'm tje one assassinating your character...... lol.
Just a little reminder. You were the one on here getting aggressive and threatening if someone dared discriminate your race as you're 1/4 black. Just think carefully before you react. I'm doing exactly what you were doing, without the hypocrisy.

hill83

You tell me. Apparently I'm tje one assassinating your character...... lol.
Just a little reminder. You were the one on here getting aggressive and threatening if someone dared discriminate your race as you're 1/4 black. Just think carefully before you react. I'm doing exactly what you were doing.

And I stand by that. Don’t recall offering to meet anyone though.

Users who are viewing this thread