Quitting smoking (1 Viewer)

Blind-Faith

Bought myself some nicorette patches and lozenges this morning.

Anybody else managed to kick the habit?

Been smoking almost 20 years and had enough of wasting money and having this shitty little cough all the time.

CovInEssex

Vaping is the way mate, got me off after 10 years smoking. Now I'm addicted to the vape but it's a lot better than cigs

shmmeee

Nope. Tried everything. Cold turkey had the best results. IMO all about willpower.

Can’t stick vapes, the difference between a wank and sex for me, it takes the edge off but still leaves you wanting the proper thing.

Champix is very very good if you can get your doctor to prescribe it. Stops fags giving you any kind of hit and then you just don’t want to smoke them.

Drinking water helps. But mostly it’s having the willpower and motivation to get you through the cravings.

pastythegreat

Bought myself some nicorette patches and lozenges this morning.

Anybody else managed to kick the habit?

Been smoking almost 20 years and had enough of wasting money and having this shitty little cough all the time.
You'll only quit smoking if you truly want to quit. If you don't want to quit, you'll always find an excuse not to.
I always think the NHS make it harder with their adverts saying how hard it is, before you even try, you have a ready made excuse for failing. "Its really hard"! Im not saying its easy, but don't go in to it believing that its hard.
I smoked from the age of 13 for 12 years. Towards the end I was smoking between 20-30 a day. I was horrible when I didn't have a fag. This February ill have been quit 10 years. My whole life I was skint but always made sure I had money or borrowed money for a packet of fags. It wasn't until I finally got a job with decent pay I decided I was finally getting good money but just wasting it smoking.

When you do quit, I found it was more about the habit rather than the addiction, I got used to not having the regular fags quite quickly. First fag of the day, the after dinner fag etc. I quickly got used to not having that. But its triggers in ypur mind, you associate certain things with smoking. You need to break that habit. Occasionally now, 10 years on i still get a craving when I do something I used to assocsmoking with, but the craving goes as quickly as it comes when I remeber i dont smoke anymore.

Good Luck.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

stay_up_skyblues

Tried patches, lozenges, nicotine gum, he nasal spray, cold turkey, Allen Carr’s book, hypnosis (albeit online videos/audio) over the yard..... none worked.

Started vaping and haven’t smoked for a year now. Was/am slightly worried about the long term effects but my short term health has improved immeasurably. Pharmacies also now sell vapour and I think the NHS do/will be prescribing it as a safe cessation method. Worked for the missus too.

covmark

6 years off the ciggies now. As said above, you really must want to quit, to be able to.
I went cold turkey. The first couple of weeks were the worst, and when I'd had a drink. Get past that stage and you'll make it. I downloaded the app that tells you how much money I'd saved and how many cigs I hadn't smoked etc. Seemed to motivate me a little more.
Vapes and fake cigs, patches and the like are pointless imo. You're still keeping the addiction going. You need to break that.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Sick Boy

As others have said, if you’re not 100% ready, serious and determined to quit it’s a waste of time thinking about it. Go cold turkey don’t vape or use patches etc - a lot of it is all about breaking the psychological addiction.

stay_up_skyblues

Definitely if you can go cold turkey that’s the best way. Breaking the addiction all together is key. Worked for my brother (along with the ultimatum from his wife 🤣).

But if you struggle with that then as far as harm reduction goes chewing nicotine gum etc. or vaping (based on current/available evidence at least) is quite obviously better for your health than smoking.

I certainly wouldn’t recommend anyone carry on smoking until such time as they’re ready to quit nicotine all together if you can get on with an alternative.

SBAndy

Vaping has benefits both financially (it’s far cheaper) and health-wise (you’ll feel better) but is still keeping the addiction, as Mark says above. Plus vaping is really hard to pack in as you can do it pretty much anywhere and there’s little/no scent.

I smoked for about 5-6 years, then vaped for 3 years. Just packed in the vaping purely because my vape broke and now I’m working from home I’m not near the shop in Birmingham I used.

Blind-Faith

Brilliant guys cheers! Well I’ve got to work without having a cigarette so that’s a start. Will see how things go but I really don’t wanna be a smoker anymore

shmmeee

Brilliant guys cheers! Well I’ve got to work without having a cigarette so that’s a start. Will see how things go but I really don’t wanna be a smoker anymore

Try willpower at first. It gets easier. Have a bottle of water on hand and suck that down when the cravings hit. Really try to break your habit smokes like first thing or after meals. You’ll be amazed how quickly cravings pass if you can hold out.

RegTheDonk

6 years off the ciggies now. As said above, you really must want to quit, to be able to.
I went cold turkey. The first couple of weeks were the worst, and when I'd had a drink. Get past that stage and you'll make it. I downloaded the app that tells you how much money I'd saved and how many cigs I hadn't smoked etc. Seemed to motivate me a little more.
Vapes and fake cigs, patches and the like are pointless imo. You're still keeping the addiction going. You need to break that.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Blimy, only 5 years but the same scenario. I've still got the app on my phone which was a great reference point.

Only addition, carried a bottle of water and had a sip every time I needed a drag which helped. Spent more time in the bog but well worth it.

Have some Blind-Faith in yourself mate and good luck.

Saddlebrains

I smoked for 10 years or so and gave up 18 months ago now.
Vape worked a treat for me, spent 6 months or so with that but my daughter picked up a lollipop stick and said 'look dad im smoking like you'

That did it for me, i thought fuck that i never want her thinking its ok.

Biggest thing I've noticed is the smell. It stinks. It looks unattractive. Its a fucking rank habit to be fair.

I feel so much better, no longer cough shit up every morning, no longer get angry if i cant get one and the main thing being £30 a week better off.

Over a year saving 1.5k is a shitload when you think about it

Sick Boy

I stopped and started around 8 times but now finally consider myself a complete non smoker, it’s one of the best things you’ll ever do.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Probably not the most orthodox method, but after a shitty year I went to Amsterdam in June.

I got so stoned every day that I just forgot to smoke cigarettes, couldn't be arsed to buy any when I was there and when I came back I just realised I didn't really miss it.

I have always been lucky in the sense that I've picked it up and dropped it over the course of ten years, but after a year solid I really thought quitting would be hard. Had one about two weeks ago and coughed my guts up. Didn't even finish it.

Sick Boy

Probably not the most orthodox method, but after a shitty year I went to Amsterdam in June.

I got so stoned every day that I just forgot to smoke cigarettes, couldn't be arsed to buy any when I was there and when I came back I just realised I didn't really miss it.

I have always been lucky in the sense that I've picked it up and dropped it over the course of ten years, but after a year solid I really thought quitting would be hard. Had one about two weeks ago and coughed my guts up. Didn't even finish it.
I think you’re lucky if you could pick it up and not bother but it’s much harder if you’ve been a regular daily smoker for years

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I think you’re lucky if you could pick it up and not bother but it’s much harder if you’ve been a regular daily smoker for years

Definitely. I know many people who have been doing it for years and years and have now stopped. If they pick one up they'll be on 20 a day just like that.

I went to Asia last year for about four months and smoked a pack or two every day. It was only when I was doing a swimming race at a hostel party in Vietnam and I could barely breathe, when I realised how much it was fucking me up.

I really thought this time I wouldn't be so lucky, but to just quit one day to the next and not feel that bad about it must be quite rare. I did do some research on it and apparently it does different things to people. I have a pretty addictive personality so it doesn't make a lot of sense. I won't complain though!

SBAndy

Should say, Blind Faith, that you’ll likely go stir crazy for the first couple of days. Break the three day mark and it is very easy from there.

Blind-Faith

Well I don’t drink as I’ve had to stop that aswell as it was a serious problem!

Currently on break inside and not out chaining 3 as usual. Got some mints which I’m going through when I’ve got a craving which seems to be helping a bit.

Next challenge is driving him tonight , I’ll cross that bridge in 4 hours 😂

SAJ

Just keep going your doing great. For days and weeks ahead you will keep thinking about it just set yourself short achievable targets like not before work not on tea break not driving home. Eventually it does get easier. The fact you have told everyone your trying is a great step. Like all the others have said you will stop when you want to and find a way.
Keep going it will change your life. I set myself a target of buying a better car with the money I saved and fortunately haven’t looked back 26 years ago after smoking for 20 years.

skyblueusername

I've been trying to give up smoking for about 18 months after my father was diagnosed with lungue cancer, he made me promise i would give it a go.
I tried switching to a vape but i now smoke and vape, i could try patches/lozenges or any other form of nicotine ingestion but would still be addicted to nicotine. I work with a lot of polish guys that have quit smoking and they all swear by this product that they have used that is widely available back home but isn't easily accessed in the UK.
You can buy it in some Polish stores here that stock pharmaceuticals.
Desmoxan/Tabex are the brand names, both contain Cytasine.
I have seen these guys go from being regular smokers to giving up completely with no relapse.
I was a bit dubious about it to start with but after doing a little bit of research (googling) I think I'm going to give it a try.
The NHS reserahed it.
If your local Polski Sklep does not stock it then you can buy it from here:

shmmeee

I've been trying to give up smoking for about 18 months after my father was diagnosed with lungue cancer, he made me promise i would give it a go.
I tried switching to a vape but i now smoke and vape, i could try patches/lozenges or any other form of nicotine ingestion but would still be addicted to nicotine. I work with a lot of polish guys that have quit smoking and they all swear by this product that they have used that is widely available back home but isn't easily accessed in the UK.
You can buy it in some Polish stores here that stock pharmaceuticals.
Desmoxan/Tabex are the brand names, both contain Cytasine.
I have seen these guys go from being regular smokers to giving up completely with no relapse.
I was a bit dubious about it to start with but after doing a little bit of research (googling) I think I'm going to give it a try.
The NHS reserahed it.
If your local Polski Sklep does not stock it then you can buy it from here:

Sounds a lot like Champix

Kieranp96

Good luck, I've never had to stop smoking a si never got into it but I can tell you it's hard my mum quit after smoking for 30 years before she croaked it. (unrelated death)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I started smoking at age 11. I just wanted to be with the "bigger lads" that my elder brother hung around with. I didn't give up until after my 4th heart attack! I just went cold turkey and found it unbelievably easy! That was 3 years ago. I can't even stand the smell of ciggies now. I dread to think how bad my house must have smelt! BTW, I rolled my own since I was about 16. I was 64 when I gave up. I also think vapes stink to high heaven but that's just me!

Users who are viewing this thread