Questions For Tony (1 Viewer)

rupert_bear

, but to the point, ask him why is Anderson is getting involved in the player recruitement, which was being perfectly well done by Venus

If that happened I am certain both Mowbray and Venus would up sticks and bugger off

harvey098

I have quite thick chest hair. Could you ask Tone whether I should be using soap or shampoo on my chest?

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
Is there any evidence Anderson has been getting involved in player recruitment then?

I'm intrigued by this too. Irrespective of which division we end up in next season, player recruitment is going to be key. I'm reading Anderson's book; The Numbers Game at the moment and it is very interesting. Scouts are basing their initial research on stats to narrow down potential players -

https://outsidersin.wordpress.com/2...on-what-scouts-can-learn-from-social-science/

Spurs and Leicester have done this and it seems to be working out ok for them.

Winny the Bish

I'm intrigued by this too. Irrespective of which division we end up in next season, player recruitment is going to be key. I'm reading Anderson's book; The Numbers Game at the moment and it is very interesting. Scouts are basing their initial research on stats to narrow down potential players -

https://outsidersin.wordpress.com/2...on-what-scouts-can-learn-from-social-science/

Spurs and Leicester have done this and it seems to be working out ok for them.

Arsenal bought a stats company for £2m a couple years ago. It's how they do most of their transfers now, with Gabriel and Elneny in particular.

Statistical analysis is how football is going now, so if we have one of the forerunners in the subject involved in our transfers, I am all for it.

MusicDating

Statistical analysis is how football is going now, so if we have one of the forerunners in the subject involved in our transfers, I am all for it.

Yup me too. I doubt many others clubs at the 3rd (hopefully 2nd...) tier will be doing this, so we could have a big advantage.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

He scores goals although you try to say that he doesn't :)

I would ask the same about MAF.

He's scored in 5 games this season. The other 23 he has appeared in he has been pretty much useless.

If he turned it on for even 50% of the time rather than 15-20% of the time then there might be an argument there.

I agree about MAF though, but I think he's been swept under the carpet a bit now anyway.

Liquid Gold

He's scored in 5 games this season. The other 23 he has appeared in he has been pretty much useless.

If he turned it on for even 50% of the time rather than 15-20% of the time then there might be an argument there.

I agree about MAF though, but I think he's been swept under the carpet a bit now anyway.

He's a kid who's scored 1 goal an average of every 3 games from midfield. Give it a rest

Astute

And our second highest scorer this season next to Armstrong. I think he has scored about 7 more goals than the 3rd highest scorer. I know he has scored 10 so far and can't think of anyone who has scored more than 3.

Astute

You name another player who has scored in that many games or has scored just 5 goals other than Armstrong and I will admit that you are right. Otherwise tell us all who you would play instead of him that would replace his goals. And are you sure he has only scored in 5 games? I think you are wrong here also.

MusicDating

One of the most interesting things about The Numbers Game book is how to measure the 'unseen' things that players do. The runs off the ball to drag defenders out of position, the positioning to prevent a potential pass. We don't really appreciate these as fans.

Kent and Murphy undoubtedly helped us get to the top of the league, but if you just looked at their stats of passes/assists/shots, you might think they didn't do a great deal. They must've been doing something right...

skyblueelephant

Murphy has also got 7 assists so he has been involved in 17 goals this season, I wish we had a few more players that were that useless...

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I can see a few people jumping, but I think my point has been missed.

I've never said Murphy is useless, or that when he's on his game he isn't an extremely valuable asset. The problem is, he so unregulary reaches the potential he has, and in the process burdens the team.

Anyone who has been to watch more than a handful of matches this season can see there has been many, upon many of games where he has failed to make even a credible effort to take part.

He has scored 9 goals, but this really is only in the 5 out of nearly 30 games he's played not the average of 1 in 3. He's been a match winner in these games for sure, but so many times outside of this (roughly 20 games) he has been a waste of a shirt.

I don't buy the argument that mindless running from him (or Kent actually) drags defenders out of position because firstly if you're going to do that you need to exploit those positions, but if you're not able or won't pass the ball to a team mate (90% of the time) then it's completely useless. Also, if someone says a players best asset is to confuse defences, then you're scraping the barrel a little bit. Sky Blue Sam could go on the pitch and do the same.

The issue for me is lack of effort and poor attitude. If you get paid to effectively perform for 90 minutes a week, I find it a bit disrespectful that when this time comes you can't even be bothered to make a sufficient effort to take part in the game when people have paid good money to come and watch. Not everyone shares that opinion, fair enough, but that's how I see it.

He's assisted in some games, but apparently one of these was against Bury for Flecks goal. What does that really mean? Reice Charles-Cook had the same level of influence on that particular goal. Some of his other assists have been alright, but so many games he has gone for a pot shot when he should have passed or gone on a run when he could have fed something. Whilst I agree there has been games he has been vitally important, there has been a lot more when we would have done better with him not in the 11. We can't not have done.

So often this season he has been below par, the ratings on both here and the telegraph for the last 5 games have Murphy down as one of the poorest players for every single match in this spell, so if that isn't enough of an indication, it's hardly surprising JOB had wanted to go somewhere else for first team football when the person in his position is continually getting played despite woeful performances, more effort wise than anything else. Yet the squad is being rotated everywhere else.

My personal opinion is that to get the best out of a player like Murphy you have to keep him hungry, when you're on the team sheet regardless of performance I don't believe it sends the right messages to the player or the rest of the squad. A spell on the bench would be benificial for all and Mowbray should really do this. It may be the case we need Murphy on form should we get to the playoffs, and we absolutely don't need a lazy player who doesn't think he has anything to prove. We need him firing on all cylinders and ready to take the Championship by storm next season.

MusicDating

I've never said Murphy is useless, or that when he's on his game he isn't an extremely valuable asset. The problem is, he so unregulary reaches the potential he has, and in the process burdens the team.

Anyone who has been to watch more than a handful of matches this season can see there has been many, upon many of games where he has failed to make even a credible effort to take part.

He has scored 9 goals, but this really is only in the 5 out of nearly 30 games he's played not the average of 1 in 3. He's been a match winner in these games for sure, but so many times outside of this (roughly 20 games) he has been a waste of a shirt.

I don't buy the argument that mindless running from him (or Kent actually) drags defenders out of position because firstly if you're going to do that you need to exploit those positions, but if you're not able or won't pass the ball to a team mate (90% of the time) then it's completely useless. Also, if someone says a players best asset is to confuse defences, then you're scraping the barrel a little bit. Sky Blue Sam could go on the pitch and do the same.

The issue for me is lack of effort and poor attitude. If you get paid to effectively perform for 90 minutes a week, I find it a bit disrespectful that when this time comes you can't even be bothered to make a sufficient effort to take part in the game when people have paid good money to come and watch. Not everyone shares that opinion, fair enough, but that's how I see it.

He's assisted in some games, but apparently one of these was against Bury for Flecks goal. What does that really mean? Reice Charles-Cook had the same level of influence on that particular goal. Some of his other assists have been alright, but so many games he has gone for a pot shot when he should have passed or gone on a run when he could have fed something. Whilst I agree there has been games he has been vitally important, there has been a lot more when we would have done better with him not in the 11. We can't not have done.

So often this season he has been below par, the ratings on both here and the telegraph for the last 5 games have Murphy down as one of the poorest players for every single match in this spell, so if that isn't enough of an indication, it's hardly surprising JOB had wanted to go somewhere else for first team football when the person in his position is continually getting played despite woeful performances, more effort wise than anything else. Yet the squad is being rotated everywhere else.

My personal opinion is that to get the best out of a player like Murphy you have to keep him hungry, when you're on the team sheet regardless of performance I don't believe it sends the right messages to the player or the rest of the squad. A spell on the bench would be benificial for all and Mowbray should really do this. It may be the case we need Murphy on form should we get to the playoffs, and we absolutely don't need a lazy player who doesn't think he has anything to prove. We need him firing on all cylinders and ready to take the Championship by storm next season.

Tl;dr, but I'm sure your bloke in the pub opinion is more valued than that of millions of pounds of statistical analysis.

Grendel

The concept Murphy doesn't try shows a total ignorance regarding football.

I gave up at that point

hill83

I gave up at that point

I read it all. What do I win?

Too many suppositions as fact used for the basis of several points. 3/10.
Namechange to Iwanttokissjacob

Last edited:

Brylowes

He isn't perfect,far from it,sometimes it it does look like he'd rather not be involved,sometimes
he comes alive for 45 minutes and sometimes not at all. That's why he's here if he played to
his potential 80% of the time he would be in or around Norwich's 1st team.
Also you have to presume he prepares for each game in the same way, so it would be fair
to say how would TM know which Murphy he was getting that day. So how do you leave a
potenential match winner out of the team,Norwich have sent him here in the hope he will
add consistency to his game.If he does he will be a premier league player.IMHO

rob9872

When he plays well we play well when we're poor as a team he goes missing. He's a young lad clearly affected by confidence and streaky form, that's why he is on loan in league 1. If he found consistency we wouldnt have him. The crowd get on his back because he doesn't work back, but he wasn't brought in to defend. He has been a match winner already and will be again.

Brylowes

When he plays well we play well when we're poor as a team he goes missing. He's a young lad clearly affected by confidence and streaky form, that's why he is on loan in league 1. If he found consistency we wouldnt have him. The crowd get on his back because he doesn't work back, but he wasn't brought in to defend. He has been a match winner already and will be again.
Some of the crowd get on his back,because they haven't got a scoobie

ClarkeZ

This is an argument that will probably never end.

Don't get me wrong here, Murphy can be good on his day, the issue is his day doesn't come often enough. His consistency is terrible, his attitude is poor in my eyes and this is the frustration.

Yes he has scored and had assist (although some I'm dubious of but nevermind that), but too often he's a passenger acting like a stroppy child on the wing when it doesn't go his way.

I'm not saying don't play him, but there has got to be some rotation allowing for other players to make their mark. Before JOB left and with Lameiras on the sidelines we have players who can change games and on their day do just as much as Murphy. I think he starts too often when h could be an excellent power sub too. To have Rubén on the bench every single game infuriates me when I see Murphy on one of his all too common poor days where he doesn't seem to want to be bothered. No will to chase back when he loses it, no desire to being other players into the game.

Before I get shot down for being Murphy-negative, I just believe allowing others a chance to make their mark will drive Murphy to actually try harder, which will
Improve him, and allow others to more importantly bring Cole, Henderson and Arma into the games. Arma could have scored so so so many more if Murphy had passed in many situations rather than try to take on the 5th player and find a wonder goal from a Carlos-esque impossible angle.

Give the others a chance and I think the whole team will benefit. A little change, maybe more to feed Arma and the extra impotus for Murphy to know he needs to fight for his place and not be granted 90 minutes regardless of his last performance and often visible lack of effort.

Keep him playing, but not 90mins every week, being others in to keep him on his toes and striving to improve.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I gave up at that point

It's funny that you point out a total ignorance regarding football, but can't see that Murphy's effort is too often below par.

I wouldn't worry about giving up though, you might as well have done that a long time ago.

Users who are viewing this thread