Quality of other grounds (1 Viewer)

skybluehugh

I have just watched the goals from Stevenage and how anyone can compare the rent we pay for the Ricoh to what others pay is laughable. Compared to our ground theirs and others are still in the 1950's. Yes I agree that it needs to be lower but let's get it right some of the figures our owners are talking about are just plain stupid.

Astute

I have just watched the goals from Stevenage and how anyone can compare the rent we pay for the Ricoh to what others pay is laughable. Compared to our ground theirs and others are still in the 1950's. Yes I agree that it needs to be lower but let's get it right some of the figures our owners are talking about are just plain stupid.

But we have a div3 ground as we have a div3 club ;)

torchomatic

Yes, by all means let's be a third division team paying a Premiership rent. Just don't moan when we can't afford players like McGoldrick.

skybluehugh

Yes, by all means let's be a third division team paying a Premiership rent. Just don't moan when we can't afford players like McGoldrick.

They have never had any intention of buying Mcg, and that shows just how short sighted they are. With him and Clark we could make a real push for promotion. But to them the club can screw themselves as long as they get the ground for free.

But of course Torch we carn't say anything bad about our saviours, can we.

torchomatic

And how do you know there was no intention of getting McGoldrick? All I'm saying is that there are loads of fans apparently shuffling themselves off with the thought of ACL "winning" the rent argument who will no doubt moan when we can't afford McGoldrick or if we end up selling our next rising star. They can't have it all ways.

They have never had any intention of buying Mcg, and that shows just how short sighted they are. With him and Clark we could make a real push for promotion. But to them the club can screw themselves as long as they get the ground for free.

Astute

If we can get ours for £300,000 a year grounds like at Stevenage should cost 20p

Mucca Mad Boys

They pay 25k for a 6k stadium, on logic someone suggested on Colchester, so CCFC should pay 5.3x what they pay, so we should pay in and around 226k.

Steve.B50

Stevenage were in conference a few years ago and the ground is still at that level. £23 to get in was over the top but the last 15 mins of the game made it worth it, free parking aswell.
Oldham is the worst I have been to this season but they make up for it with the best pies in the league, so far.

Mucca Mad Boys

MR has said we'll fight to keep McG.

torchomatic

So, were we as equally short sighted into getting him in the first place? And Bailey? And Adams? And Robins?

They have never had any intention of buying Mcg, and that shows just how short sighted they are.

Macca

I might be simple (no in fact I am) but surely the league we are in is irrelevant, its the premises we are renting?

torchomatic

Maybe we should think that a club with the revenue of a third division team has to find money to rent a Premiership stadium.

I might be simple (no in fact I am) but surely the league we are in is irrelevant, its the premises we are renting?

Astute

Maybe if they took the toilets out and replaced them with a piss stinking room and then removed kiosks and replaced them with dodgy burger vans it would be better....as long as some rent was paid.....

Torch, my biggest problem is that no rent is being paid. Not that we should pay more, less or even as much as SISU say.

Macca

Maybe we should think that a club with the revenue of a third division team has to find money to rent a Premiership stadium.

But I don t see how that is the landlords fault.

As I say simple is my thing. If I rented a house and then lost my job and my salary went down , the rent wouldn t be lowered.

I know it is more complicated than that, but it seems SISU have ACL by the nuts on this one. Basically I'm just interested in us surviving but I still try to get my head around SISU being the good guys and ACL the guilty party

Macca

Maybe if they took the toilets out and replaced them with a piss stinking room and then removed kiosks and replaced them with dodgy burger vans it would be better....as long as some rent was paid.....

Torch, my biggest problem is that no rent is being paid. Not that we should pay more, less or even as much as SISU say.

I d be happy with that,spent many a happy year watching football without the malls that are required for low attention span cases these days

As I say simple is my thing. If I rented a house and then lost my job and my salary went down , the rent wouldn t be lowered.

I know it is more complicated than that, but it seems SISU have ACL by the nuts on this one. Basically I'm just interested in us surviving but I still try to get my head around SISU being the good guys and ACL the guilty party

You would go and get a cheaper house though as there are many about. We are a bit stuffed to find a house that will fit a family of 12000

CJparker

Hang on a minute, the rental agreement never envisaged a variable level of rent based on league position. It was clearly to CCFC's advantage, in that the higher the club got in the league, the better. Conversely, this was an incentive not to fall down the league pyramid - because as we did the rent would become unaffordable.

The Ricoh is a Premier League quality ground, with facilities and capacity to match - this comes with a whole load of associated costs that are on another scale to the likes of Oldham, Yeovil etc.

It's very convenient to say "we shouldn't be paying higher than other teams in our league" when a) it's CCFC's fault (not ACL's) that we are in such a low league, b) there was never an agreement to reduce the rent if we got relegated, and c) the extra costs of running the Ricoh, as opposed to Victoria Park, Broadfield etc.....not to mention the millions in loans taken out by CCC/ACL to cover the building costs they incurred when CCFC could have become homeless.

Whatever way you look at it, CCFC does not have a leg to stand on, which is why the court found in ACL's favour.

torchomatic

Ah, the old house analogy. No, you'd be thrown out. However, this isn't an individual and a house it's a 130 year old football club fighting for it's survival.

I'm a simple man, me. SISU own CCFC and I support CCFC. ACL do not own or run CCFC so I do not support ACL. I want the best possible deal the football club can get so if they have to play hard ball to get it, then so be it.

Astute

I d be happy with that,spent many a happy year watching football without the malls that are required for low attention span cases these days

So would I. That is one of the reasons why you can't beat an away day.

torchomatic

True. And I bet at the time of the rental agreement being signed ACL were creaming in their pants that they'd got away with it. McGinnity should have brokered a better deal.

Hang on a minute, the rental agreement never envisaged a variable level of rent based on league position. It was clearly to CCFC's advantage, in that the higher the club got in the league, the better. Conversely, this was an incentive not to fall down the league pyramid - because as we did the rent would become unaffordable.

The Ricoh is a Premier League quality ground, with facilities and capacity to match - this comes with a whole load of associated costs that are on another scale to the likes of Oldham, Yeovil etc.

It's very convenient to say "we shouldn't be paying higher than other teams in our league" when a) it's CCFC's fault (not ACL's) that we are in such a low league, b) there was never an agreement to reduce the rent if we got relegated, and c) the extra costs of running the Ricoh, as opposed to Victoria Park, Broadfield etc.....not to mention the millions in loans taken out by CCC/ACL to cover the building costs they incurred when CCFC could have become homeless.

Whatever way you look at it, CCFC does not have a leg to stand on, which is why the court found in ACL's favour.

Astute

Ah, the old house analogy. No, you'd be thrown out. However, this isn't an individual and a house it's a 130 year old football club fighting for it's survival.

I'm a simple man, me. SISU own CCFC and I support CCFC. ACL do not own or run CCFC so I do not support ACL. I want the best possible deal the football club can get so if they have to play hard ball to get it, then so be it.

And when SISU sent us down last season by not replacing players lost before the season started you backed them fully again?

elephanttears

what ccfc will never forget is the way we have been exploited, yes were a long way from standing on our own 2 feet and decisions were made within the club that got us here, make no mistake about it acl is a organization designed to make money of ccfc. That will not be forgotten.

Grendel

And when SISU sent us down last season by not replacing players lost before the season started you backed them fully again?

It was a statistical inevitability we would be relegated. That really is not relevant.

torchomatic

And we went down ten years ago for the same reason. We are Coventry City we have always sold our best players and if things don't improve we always will. They've made mistakes as all football clubs do. This year they are getting it right on the pitch - as I'm sure even you can agree with - so they obviously seem to be learning. Now, we just need to sort ourselves out off the pitch.

torchomatic

That's exactly right because without the football club they are nothing.

what ccfc will never forget is the way we have been exploited, yes were a long way from standing on our own 2 feet and decisions were made within the club that got us here, make no mistake about it acl is a organization designed to make money of ccfc. That will not be forgotten.

covcity4life

shut up fool

Macca

I have no problem with doing anything to save the football club but I struggle to see how not paying our dues can be considered right.

If another club owed us £5 million for a player or they went out of business would we give a toss, no we'd want whats owed.

As I say lets hope the rent is dropped to what SISU want to pay but lets not dress it up as justifiable for any other reason than having a club to support

Astute

And we went down ten years ago for the same reason. We are Coventry City we have always sold our best players and if things don't improve we always will. They've made mistakes as all football clubs do. This year they are getting it right on the pitch - as I'm sure even you can agree with - so they obviously seem to be learning. Now, we just need to sort ourselves out off the pitch.

Nobody has had more faith than myself on what has been done on the pitch. So do you think it is right they don't even pay what they think is a fair rent?

Grendel

I have no problem with doing anything to save the football club but I struggle to see how not paying our dues can be considered right.

If another club owed us £5 million for a player or they went out of business would we give a toss, no we'd want whats owed.

As I say lets hope the rent is dropped to what SISU want to pay but lets not dress it up as justifiable for any other reason than having a club to support

I didn't see as much moral indignation when the last regime did not pay transfer fees owed to other clubs though, did you?

torchomatic

I think they are doing what they believe will achieve an affordable and sustainable rent to ensure the club has a future. I have no problem with them doing that or how they achieve it.

Nobody has had more faith than myself on what has been done on the pitch. So do you think it is right they don't even pay what they think is a fair rent?

torchomatic

Exactly. I don't remember people coming on here demanding we pay Southampton the money owed for Leon Best. There's definitely a smell of hypocrisy in the air.

I didn't see as much moral indignation when the last regime did not pay transfer fees owed to other clubs though, did you?

Astute

I think they are doing what they believe will achieve an affordable and sustainable rent to ensure the club has a future. I have no problem with them doing that or how they achieve it.

So you now trust them with the future of our club?

torchomatic

Yes, I don't have a problem with them owning and running CCFC. If they get the Arena at a low rent, improve the squad and eventually buy half or all of the stadium then it would ultimately make us more attractive to another buyer who could maybe take us to the next level.

The majority of people who don't "trust them with the future of our club" seem to be a few blokes on an internet forum. Why should that bother me?

The lowest point of my 40 years of supporting Coventry City came when Richardson sold HR, the only asset we had. We need to get back to where we own (or part own) our own ground. The club will forever struggle without that.

So you now trust them with the future of our club?

Astute

The lowest point of my 40 years of supporting Coventry City came when Richardson sold HR, the only asset we had. We need to get back to where we own (or part own) our own ground. The club will forever struggle without that.

My lowest point was getting relegated to Div3. As you well know SISU admitted it was their fault.

Users who are viewing this thread