Qatar World Cup 2022 (3 Viewers)

Sky Blue Harry H

My theory is they are grooming Mason Mount for the future England managers job. War Prowse did take a good corner in the first half though. Now we we've got Phillips back to exhilarate us.

stupot07

Grealish has been guilty of taking too many touches tonight. I think I prefer him as an impact sub for England.

Impressed with the Italians, given how new this squad is, they said the highest number of caps a player has is 25. Out of possession their pressing and shape has been impressive

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

SheafIsGod

The last three games have been utterly turgid. I want to know what dirt Mount has on Southgate
None, Southgate just has his favourites and always has.

Phillips, Maguire, Pickford & Mings all had shite seasons yet are automatically included because Southgate likes them. Mings isn’t even the best English centre back at Villa ffs.

Trippier is injured for the last however many months of the season but gets an automatic spot, whereas the most in-form English player (Maddison) doesn’t get a sniff.

How anyone can still back this fraud is beyond me. I genuinely hope we get embarrassed in the group stages in Qatar so he fucks off. Doesn’t feel like a proper World Cup to me anyway.

Otis

I do rate Mount when he plays club football. He seems a thoroughly decent player in the Premier League. I have yet to be convinced at all by him at international level.

He is definitely a Southgate favourite and I don't think it's doing us any favours.

Last season, Mount got 11 goals in 32 appearances for Chelsea. It's just 1 goal in 17 for England. It's not good enough and he's not playing well enough at international level to warrant being first name on the teamsheet.

CJ_covblaze

The last three games have been poor at best. I do think us and others are using these 6 games as prep for the World Cup and nothing more than that. It’s an opportunity to try a few players and few new things. A lot of the games are draws. That’s the issue with having no pre tournament warm up games or any in October. What would be done then is being done now.

jimmyhillsfanclub

None, Southgate just has his favourites and always has.

Phillips, Maguire, Pickford & Mings all had shite seasons yet are automatically included because Southgate likes them. Mings isn’t even the best English centre back at Villa ffs.

Trippier is injured for the last however many months of the season but gets an automatic spot, whereas the most in-form English player (Maddison) doesn’t get a sniff.

How anyone can still back this fraud is beyond me. I genuinely hope we get embarrassed in the group stages in Qatar so he fucks off. Doesn’t feel like a proper World Cup to me anyway.

Agree with a fair bit of that rant but disagree about pickford....bit shakey with a very shakey everton at times this season but seems to grow in an England shirt..... he's far from perfect but still our best option

CJ_covblaze

Agree with a fair bit of that rant but disagree about pickford....bit shakey with a very shakey everton at times this season but seems to grow in an England shirt..... he's far from perfect but still our best option

Agree. He’s been excellent for us bar the odd blip so why should he be dropped?

Mucca Mad Boys

That is true. We too defensive under Capello and Ericksson too

Clearly there’s a reason for that. It’s tournament football and the games are are more cagey affairs.

Either way, regardless of whether anyone likes Southgate or not, he’s not going to get sacked before this World Cup. That wouldn’t improve our chances.

I’m disappointed at our recent results, but draws to Germany and Italy aren’t bad results. A bit peeved with the Hungary result, but they did draw to Germany. It’s no good catastrophising over this stretch of results.

no_loyalty

Page has a very good chance of being the manager at the World Cup, I suppose it hinges on the Ryan Giggs court case. If Giggs is found to be innocent then what happens next?

The court case is now irrelevant as Giggs has resigned as manager of Wales.

Otis

Anyone else watching the England U19's?

1-0 up against Serbia at the moment.

IPlayer.

Otis

So, it ended up with a 4-0 win for England.

Thought Chukwuemeka looked really good and so too, Scott (Bristol City). Also quite impressed by Doyle (Man City) at left back and Scarlett (Spurs) up front.

CJ_covblaze

Linfield, of Northern Ireland, have beaten the Qatar national team in their first friendly of the summer.
One of a few odd friendlies taking place. Got Real Betis v Marseille at Chesterfield and Tamworth v Al Hilal coming up.

no_loyalty

Linfield, of Northern Ireland, have beaten the Qatar national team in their first friendly of the summer.

I think Qatar will take the record of being the worst host nation of all time, I don’t think they will qualify for the second round.

SkyBlueSoul

"Semi-atuomated offside technology" to be used this winter

In addition to a sensor in the middle of the ball, which sends data 500 times a second to determine the exact kick-point, 12 dedicated multi-tracking cameras that are "100% synchronised" will be mounted on the roof of each stadium to track the ball and 29 points on each player, sending data 50 times per second to calculate their exact position on the pitch. Any player in an offside position will trigger an alert in the video assistant referee booth that can be relayed to the on-pitch referee.

Liquid Gold

That actually sounds reasonable if it works. I’m not a huge fan of the whole being a mm offside is offside and think that there should be some leeway but if the decisions are immediate and fair on both teams then give it a go.

I don’t know why they’re always introducing technology at the WC instead of trialing in some bum fuck league.

SkyBlueSoul

This does a better job of explaining

I don’t know why they’re always introducing technology at the WC instead of trialing in some bum fuck league.
"The system was trialled at last year's Arab Cup and Club World Cup, where it was estimated to have reduced the time taken to make offside VAR decisions from 70 to 25 seconds." so it's not going in completely cold. I'm guessing they got enough data from that and didn't want the extra cost of running it for a whole season first

SBT

That actually sounds reasonable if it works. I’m not a huge fan of the whole being a mm offside is offside and think that there should be some leeway but if the decisions are immediate and fair on both teams then give it a go.

Started a separate thread on this, but I just don't see why anyone wants this. It will mean that if your thumb is offside, that's it, goal disallowed. And it won't be immediate, it will still take 25 seconds or so.

I swear the people who push for this stuff either don't understand football or actively dislike it.

chiefdave

The whole point of VAR was to stop the huge ridiculous errors. This seems to be going the opposite way. I guess if its instant and the same system is being applied to everyone then its ok but as you say why do they always make changes for major tournaments. Its asking for trouble.

SBT

The whole point of VAR was to stop the huge ridiculous errors. This seems to be going the opposite way. I guess if its instant and the same system is being applied to everyone then its ok but as you say why do they always make changes for major tournaments. Its asking for trouble.

I think the video above shows it being trialed in some random league - they must have tested it before now.

Users who are viewing this thread