Qatar World Cup 2022 (3 Viewers)

Saddlebrains

Didn't you literally say the same thing before the Euros, only to eventually go on about how marvellous and nerve-wracking the tournament was?

Well i mean there is a myriad of differences between that and this isnt there?

But yes good memory

chiefdave

Did anyone see the documentary on ITV, State of Fear? Not good at all. And then there is this in the news today.
But former Qatar international Khalid Salman has given a very different reflection of the attitude towards homosexuality. "They have to accept our rules here," Salman told German television broadcaster ZDF. "(Homosexuality) is haram. You know what haram (forbidden) means?”

When asked why it was haram, Salman said: "I am not a strict Muslim, but why is it haram? Because it is damage in the mind." The interview, which is due to be broadcast in full in Germany on Tuesday, was then immediately stopped by an official.

Hertsccfc

I wouldn't be surprised if the World Cup doesn't get completed. I can see teams pulling out of the tournament if things start to get heated in Qatar.

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
I wouldn't be surprised if the World Cup doesn't get completed. I can see teams pulling out of the tournament if things start to get heated in Qatar.
No way the government or FIFA will let that happen, everything will be stage managed and quashed, the media won’t report anything and everyone will move on again after. They have had 12 years to quash this tournament and money still speaks louder than the realism of football or humanity.

NorthernWisdom

If teams can go motor racing in Bahrain, Saudi Arabia etc, if boxing can happen in those countries... then they'll find a way for football to happen without incident.

(No idea if there have been other occasions, but last country to lose a world cup at short notice would have been Colombia in 1986, and they gave nearly four years notice!)

Brighton Sky Blue

If teams can go motor racing in Bahrain, Saudi Arabia etc, if boxing can happen in those countries... then they'll find a way for football to happen without incident.

(No idea if there have been other occasions, but last country to lose a world cup at short notice would have been Colombia in 1986, and they gave nearly four years notice!)

Those events are in those places for much less time than the World Cup, but I agree they found a way to whitewash the bribery that landed the tournament in the first place so they'll do it again for any wrongdoings

chiefdave

Those events are in those places for much less time than the World Cup, but I agree they found a way to whitewash the bribery that landed the tournament in the first place so they'll do it again for any wrongdoings
Plus I'd imagine not as many people traveling to them. People turning up for a weekend at the F1 is going to be a lot different to large numbers of football fans turning up for a month

Brighton Sky Blue

Plus I'd imagine not as many people traveling to them. People turning up for a weekend at the F1 is going to be a lot different to large numbers of football fans turning up for a month

They're going to knock the stadiums down afterwards too.

Hertsccfc

i
No way the government or FIFA will let that happen, everything will be stage managed and quashed, the media won’t report anything and everyone will move on again after. They have had 12 years to quash this tournament and money still speaks louder than the realism of football or humanity.
I wouldn't expect our Government or FIFA to do anything of course. But maybe some teams with more enlightened Government support might walk out if things go badly in Qatar.

Liquid Gold

i

I wouldn't expect our Government or FIFA to do anything of course. But maybe some teams with more enlightened Government support might walk out if things go badly in Qatar.
I doubt it. The situation over there is pretty clear.

If teams started to walk out after a loss or two then their stance is going to look pretty hypocritical.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Bellingham has been absolutely dreadful for Dortmund tonight. The whole team looked poor, but him in particular was shocking. Not the kind of performance you want to put in two days before the selection is made.

Great_Expectations

Would absolutely love it if this happened. I enjoy watching England at tournaments and despite Southgates likely negative tactics, we have a good chance of progressing.

However, would be happy to sacrifice all that if a world stance was taken at such a high profile event to show how backwards and horrible a country it is, while also completely embarrassing the shambles that is FIFA.

Otis

Be cool if some attending each took a flag of the individual rainbow colours each and then when in the ground, put them all together to form the rainbow flag.

JAM See

Something for those of you with kids perhaps?

Grendel

Would absolutely love it if this happened. I enjoy watching England at tournaments and despite Southgates likely negative tactics, we have a good chance of progressing.

However, would be happy to sacrifice all that if a world stance was taken at such a high profile event to show how backwards and horrible a country it is, while also completely embarrassing the shambles that is FIFA.

Guess you are refusing to watch any of the tournament then?

JAM See

Guess you are refusing to watch any of the tournament then?
Fuck the Wasps
Fuck Sisu
Fuck Qatar
But I'll be watching too.

That's the problem/beauty of football.

It'll take an awful lot to keep us away from the telly. And I doubt we're anywhere near that yet.

Otis

Am I missing something here? I do think it is awful that Qatar think of homosexuality in such a backward and completely outdated fashion, but what is the difference between going over for the World Cup and going over for a holiday, which I am sure many Brits do?

Just checked and approximately 10,000 visas are issued every year to Brits to visit Qatar

Egypt, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia. Homosexuality is illegal there too. How many Brits visit those countries year after year? Many, many thousands is my guess. See what I am getting at?

I know the World Cup shouldn't have gone to Qatar, but isn't there a degree of hypocrisy here in all this?

Why are we happy to go on holiday to these places (and I bet we do respect their laws when we do), but going to Qatar for the World Cup kicks up a stink?

I know it's the world stage and all that, but still...

🤷

stay_up_skyblues

Am I missing something here? I do think it is awful that Qatar think of homosexuality in such a backward and completely outdated fashion, but what is the difference between going over for the World Cup and going over for a holiday, which I am sure many Brits do?

Just checked and approximately 10,000 visas are issued every year to Brits to visit Qatar

Egypt, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia. Homosexuality is illegal there too. How many Brits visit those countries year after year? Many, many thousands is my guess. See what I am getting at?

I know the World Cup shouldn't have gone to Qatar, but isn't there a degree of hypocrisy here in all this?

Why are we happy to go on holiday to these places (and I bet we do respect their laws when we do), but going to Qatar for the World Cup kicks up a stink?

🤷

And a fair chunk of the Carribean, or at least it was not too long ago I’m sure.

Skybluefaz

🤷
Roughly 0.016% of the country obtains a visa to visit Qatar each year. I'd bet most have family ties or business interests over there. I don't think based on those numbers you can conclude that "We" are happy to go on holiday there.

Grendel

Roughly 0.016% of the country obtains a visa to visit Qatar each year. I'd bet most have family ties or business interests over there. I don't think based on those numbers you can conclude that "We" are happy to go on holiday there.

Egypt?

Users who are viewing this thread