Putting the Sixfields fiasco into perspective (1 Viewer)

Norman Binns

It’s not often that I chip in with my tuppence worth on this forum and quite frankly, the subject I’m going to discuss has been regurgitated so many times it’s getting a little tiresome. Nevertheless, I thought I’d share something very poignant on one of the consequences of the ludicrous and ill-judged move to Northampton.

No longer living in Coventry having moved to Staffordshire in 1971, nevertheless I continued – and still continue - to get to as many city games as I possibly can (Sixfields excepted).

So, let the tale begin. Before setting out from home on the evening of 16 September 2004 to watch city play Gillingham at Highfield Road (Stern John’s debut), my son - who was only 6 years old at the time and had shown little interest in football up to that point - asked if he could come with me. After talking his mother round because of her concerns about his safety and returning home late with his school the next day, I was delighted that he was coming with me for his first city match.

Despite us letting a 2 goal lead slip to gift Gillingham a draw, my son enjoyed the experience so much that he was hooked and couldn’t wait for the next game.

For the next 8 years we went to games together until last season he started going to quite a lot games without me on the train with 3 or 4 school mates who had switched from supporting Man U and Liverpool in favour of watching Coventry. You may think that’s an odd thing to do, but 14 year olds making the transition from boys to men want to get out into the wide world, enjoy the feeling of independence and freedom and above all to feel grown up. This is what the rail journey from Stafford to Nuneaton followed by the bus from Nuneaton to the Ricoh gave those boys.

They couldn’t do that at Anfield or Old Trafford because apart from the prohibitive cost, it’s almost impossible to get hold of tickets for those games. So, what we have here is boys from outside of Coventry that followed other teams, converting and becoming part of the next generation of Coventry fans….all until this season that is.

It’s difficult and a lot more expensive to get suitable train journeys from Stafford to Northampton on Sundays, even if they wanted to….so one of the consequences of Sisu’s unfathomable decision to up sticks to Northampton is that they’ve lost forever, some of the next generation of city fans. Are these idiots running our club actually aware of the permanent damage they are doing to the fan base?

What do these lads do every fortnight on a Saturday afternoon now? They all take the train to Wolverhampton to get their freedom and football fix at Molineux and that includes my son because he doesn’t want to feel left out.

How do you think I felt last Saturday then, standing in J11 of the lower tier of the Steve Bull stand looking into my son’s eyes sitting in the Southbank watching Wolves? It was quite upsetting as one might imagine but I’ll tell you something, I’d have felt far worse if he was making the trip to Sixfields every other Sunday to watch Coventry. You see, even at the tender age of 15 he has some moral perspective and realises how wrong this move is and I applaud that. He still supports Coventry deep in his heart and still goes to some away games with me, notably Shrewsbury and Port Vale this season but like me he will not, on principle, set foot in Sixfields for a home fixture. I think that says it all really and puts things into perspective, something for those misguided few that go to Northampton to ponder on.

The bottom line is, by going to Sixfields you are endorsing this move; you are giving SISU your implicit approval and saying you’re ok with it. The more that weaken and end up going to Sixfields the more credence and strength that gives to SISU. Do these people not realise that we as supporters been shat on from a great height?

To make an analogy - not the best admittedly but the principle has similarities - if your boss had ****ed your teenage daughter would you still play a round of golf with him and buy him a drink in the bar afterwards, just so you can continue your entertainment on a Sunday morning? Because that’s what they’ve done, they’ve ****ed us over and some people just don’t understand that. If ever there was any reason to doubt it, I think last weeks events have made things clear.

Everyone to their own, but I personally can’t begin to fathom out how anyone can have their self respect intact after having gone inside Sixfields. I’d feel ashamed personally but then that’s me, it takes all sorts to make up this world, some have principles and values, some don’t.

To all those who boycott and continue to boycott, stay strong, stay out of Northampton…but then again I didn’t really need to say that did I?

edgy

Sad story undermined by pompous slander towards people with different ideas and views. Shame, you were doing well & I feel your pain.

Grappa

Boss shagging my teenage daughter, should I play golf with him = CCFC playing in Northampton.

pw362

Ok RFC,I think we all know that you go to sixfields. So do us a favour and give it a rest

BurbageSkyBlues

A very real-life tale, that I am sure is echoed in many hundreds, if not thousands, of homes.

I can relate to your story of boys growing up, changing allegiances to their local teams (as a youngster, under ten, I had a fascination with Celtic, triggered by their success in Europe). As I became old enough to go to matches on my own, I followed the sky blues, because they were my home town club.

You are right, they are killing off the next generations of sky blues fans. They must know this, so, personally, the conclusion is that they don't care for the long term existence of the club. God help us if they have any success with the JR, and somehow get an involvement in the arena, on the cheap.

ollyservetta

morals,perspective,self respect ,?>in with the wolves against cov ,but supporting cov away at a couple of games ,now ive heard it all ,.now im at absolute loggertheads with myself with wats right n wrong and wat we do or don't do ,but reading your load of story telling tosh makes me feel like giving it all in .I feel for your lad under the circumstances ,but if he and his mates were travelling to the ricoh then by all means boycott sixfields but they like many others they could travel away ,no excuse or reason to change teams ,but they already done that once .im sorry folks but this is going to far

torchomatic

I was with im all the way until phrases such as "self respect" and "feel ashamed" were used. Shame, eloquent insults towards fellow fans but still insults.

Sad story undermined by pompous slander towards people with different ideas and views. Shame, you were doing well & I feel your pain.

italiahorse

I can relate to that. My mum let me get the bus from Beduth to HR for Coventry vs Wolves in 1967.
It was my first match and I was a week short of my 12th birthday.
The buses waited at the bottom of the Spion Kop steps.

Those early days set the seeds for life, or so I thought.
I guess I have had enough, i've seen our high points and know if we survive this the club will never be the same.

letsallsingtogether

You obviously don't really care about City's future only about today.

I too have a son who is now 18 he and his 3 mates had season tickets at the Ricoh every year for over 10 years.(junior Sky blues etc)

They used to travel with me to a few away games and I took them every game to the Ricoh.
They now no longer go and what makes it worse is that they wouldn't even know the score if you asked them on a Monday morning, another 4 young fans they have lost

So I hope they and you are happy with what they have done return to Coventry in 5 years time there will be very few left to fill there ground no matter what size it is.......

Shame on Sisu Shame on you as you seem happy with the situation.
PUSB even in Northampton.

ollyservetta

and to add ,yes the problems of late are harming the future generations of cov fans but hang on ,I know cov familys who hav lived in cov all their lives who put their whooped celtic shirts on and supported celtic at the ricoh ,and then like everwer ther is the glory hunters ,ther is nothing you can do .we have massive problems off the pitch but on it we are going great guns ,sixfields and away, so for 90 mins at least once a fortnight we can all stand proud.

ollyservetta

how can you say he don't care ,we all care ,no one is happy with the situation ,and yes in the ground ,on the hill ,at home ,for them 90 mins at sixfields ,pusb,the lads on the hill cheer wen we score ,
You obviously don't really care about City's future only about today.

I too have a son who is now 18 he and his 3 mates had season tickets at the Ricoh every year for over 10 years.(junior Sky blues etc)

They used to travel with me to a few away games and I took them every game to the Ricoh.
They now no longer go and what makes it worse is that they wouldn't even know the score if you asked them on a Monday morning, another 4 young fans they have lost

So I hope they and you are happy with what they have done return to Coventry in 5 years time there will be very few left to fill there ground no matter what size it is.......

Shame on Sisu Shame on you as you seem happy with the situation.

Steve.B50

Norman, my thoughts go with you, I have two boys, one still classes himself as a City fan but only been to one away game, the second lad has lost all interest this season.
SISU have a lot to answer for.

letsallsingtogether

I agree with most of your statement however RFC seems to be happy and gloats that we are in Northampton sorry but he seems to be happy with the situation we are in...

how can you say he don't care ,we all care ,no one is happy with the situation ,and yes in the ground ,on the hill ,at home ,for them 90 mins at sixfields ,pusb,the lads on the hill cheer wen we score ,

letsallsingtogether

Yes but he seems to be happy with the situation 99% of those that go to sixfields are not

He says he wants to go, you say you don't want to. It is difference of opinion surely?

houchen87

Gets more depressing as each unfathomable week away from Cov goes by. But hey, Tim tells us we're a community club so what do I know?

shmmeee

He says he wants to go, you say you don't want to. It is difference of opinion surely?

Is there some kind of website moderators training you can go on, cos seriously if you don't identify RFC as a massive troll I'm not sure what to say.

There's difference of opinion and there's deliberately posting repetitive tripe about a subject that upsets a lot of people with the sole purpose of winding others up and derailing sensible conversation.

Nick

Administrator
Is there some kind of website moderators training you can go on, cos seriously if you don't identify RFC as a massive troll I'm not sure what to say.

There's difference of opinion and there's deliberately posting repetitive tripe about a subject that upsets a lot of people with the sole purpose of winding others up and derailing sensible conversation.

Yes he always posts he is going to games but how is that different to people who just post they are going on the hill out sisu out nopm all the time?

If I was to start deleting threads where a certain individual went through about 10 in a row just to say they would be on the hill and never go into shitfields it would be censorship blah blah..

torchomatic

Seems it only works one way doesn't it?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

ricohroar

That is spot on, well said..... Same for me, my 2 boys a bit young yet, but already coming home from school talking of Chelsea, Man Utd. Well theres no team in coventry to support so they will be lost...

_brian_

I have two sons: one is in to dancing, the other doesn't like sport at all!!!

Not sure if that's got anything to do with this thread.

cochese

My only issue with many of these stories from fans, is that no one is physically preventing fans from going to sixfields. Everyone is busy blaming SISU for taking coventry away from coventry and taking a NOPM stance. At the same time they are being blamed for losing a generation of fans.

Why can't fans take it upon themselves to keep the next generation of fans interested in coventry? Why must it always be someone else's fault? Why is attending sixfields seen as a way of supporting the move to Northampton. I can guarantee that no one who attends games in sixfields wants to be there and supports the move.

As a comparison, when Brighton were homeless, albeit under different circumstances, they were forced to travel to Gillingham to games. And look where Brighton are now.

I, like many others who attend the home games, have no issue with people wanting to stay away from sixfields, but please don't use it as an excuse for blaming SISU for losing a generation of fans. If you can't go then fair enough, but if you won't go, please understand that you should take some, not ALL, of the responsibility for our next generation.

I am not Tim fisher.

Users who are viewing this thread