Proud Sky Blues (2 Viewers)

ccfcno9

Jesus...where do i start ?
Why would someone siting next to you (who maybe happened to be gay), 'act like a twat' ?
Maybe you could list what things constitute 'acting like a twat', so that we can all understand you better ?

Also no ones is asking for 'special treatment'...just fair and equal treatment.
Apoligies to all, perhaps my written text is not coming over very well.
If I'm sat in the vicinity of someone constantly slagging off players(Eccles,Simms now Godden etc) who appear to be trying but not living up to expectation of said 'twat' with slurs that I presume would unacepptable to most on hear it can be irritating and may myself wish to respond.
Keeping on topic now Proud Coventry timely and appropriate (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

mmttww

Trolls should maybe start their own support group.

black and white train GIF

...and get the train together to home games.

Samo

What issues do gay people face at a football match these days that’s any different to anyone else? I haven’t hear any homophobic chanting at a match for must be 10 years.

In my eyes it’s just people at a football match, the more you put people in to groups about ethnicity, sexuality, religion it just divides people. Believe what you want.

Ok this has to be a wind up.
I just can't bring myself to believe that there are still people this deluded/bigoted/closed that they honestly cannot see the truth before them,

NortonSkyBlue

As an older fan I can say I have heard racist, sexist, homophobic, disparaging comments from all sorts of people who happen to just as ugly on the outside as on the inside and acting with alcohol, drugged fuelled bravado in groups knowing they are immune to come back. The 70’s and 80’s were the nadir on the terraces in all sorts of ways.
Nowadays it‘s comforting to know that we have a fair sized female and Asian fan base, visible to us all. I genuinely don’t care if the person next to me is any of the above, we share a love for Coventry City and I don’t enquire as to where they come from, who they lay down with or what their politics are.
I would love it if the PSB finds itself obsolete in future because they are just Coventry City fans who happen to be gay but until then there is nothing but admiration from this supporter for your group and I wish you well.

rob9872

we share a love for Coventry City and I don’t enquire as to where they come from, who they lay down with or what their politics are.

We used to be full of political divides, but thankfuly we've moved on. I remember hearing 'we're left side , we're left side, we're left side over here' ... 'we're right side ...' Disgusting behaviour.

napolimp

Just thought i'd give my experience (as a gay man) of going up to Highfield road and Ricoh/CBS Arena for over 4 decades.
I can honestly say that in the vast majority of the many games i've watched over the years, i've heard some homophobic abuse.
It was never aimed at me, but was aimed at officials, opposition players, and occasionally even directed at our own players.
It happened so much, that when i heard it, i just ignored it and screened it out.
I even had one instance at the Ricoh (as it was then), where a friend of mine (we used to go up in a group of 9), shouted at the top of his voice 'get up you puff' at an opposition player who was milking a tackle.
I was sat 2 seats from him, and he was oblivious to what he'd said, and still is to this day.
I laughed it off (to myself), but surely that just shows how easy it is for homophobic abuse to enter the language, when it comes from the mouth of a friend, not from malice, but just casual footy language.

I've had a weird feeling of shame since the Leicester match last month. Some guy with a particularly loud voice, couple rows back from me, started shouting at Dewsbury-Hall after being fouled. Using the words "fag" and "puff". I was genuinely shocked, and for some reason assumed something would happen - not sure what. Then I felt like I should say something, but with a packed block and not even knowing exactly who the guy was, didn't have the courage to pipe up. I suppose it is something you have experienced numerous times at the football. Don't know if anyone has any suggestions on best course of action to take if something like this happens near you? Is there a reporting text line at the CBS?

Astute

What issues do gay people face at a football match these days that’s any different to anyone else? I haven’t . any homophobic chanting at a match for must be 10 years.

In my eyes it’s just people at a football match, the more you put people in to groups about ethnicity, sexuality, religion it just divides people. Believe what you want.
Instead of opening your eyes try opening tour ears.

Read some of the posts again. A passing comment that wouldn't even register with you can be so hurtful to others. Nobody is asking for special treatment. People are asking to be treated fairly. What's the problem with this?

A few years ago we slightly touched on the subject. I'm not scared of showing my feminine side. My favourite colour to wear is pink. I frequently get comments made. Not hurtful to me but is to others. I understand this.

I also said about my favourite nightclub ever. A place called Rockshots in Newcastle. A place I found I could finally be myself. Nobody would ever look at you and judge you. The people there knew what it was like to be judged. And the music was always kicking. The only problem I ever had was getting in the first couple of times I went as the bouncers said I wasn't gay 😁 I walked to the doors with a woman friend of mine (who just happened to prefer women). But a few of my mates were directly behind us and vouched for me otherwise I wouldn't have got in. They didn't welcome 'straight' people because of the trouble it caused.

Then it was always invited to a drink/party somewhere. The most friendliest people you could ever wish to meet. I could totally relax whereas in a 'normal' nightclub I was always on my guard. Working the doors quickly teaches you not to drop your guard because of the amount of idiots out there.

Astute

I've had a weird feeling of shame since the Leicester match last month. Some guy with a particularly loud voice, couple rows back from me, started shouting at Dewsbury-Hall after being fouled. Using the words "fag" and "puff". I was genuinely shocked, and for some reason assumed something would happen - not sure what. Then I felt like I should say something, but with a packed block and not even knowing exactly who the guy was, didn't have the courage to pipe up. I suppose it is something you have experienced numerous times at the football. Don't know if anyone has any suggestions on best course of action to take if something like this happens near you? Is there a reporting text line at the CBS?
I prefer the quiet approach if the person is close by. That nearly always works. But when riled I will shout STFU. It always goes very quiet for a few seconds 😁

robbiekeane

Simple generational shift, perfectly normal, but when you see someone of @thekidfromstrettoncamp criticised for his comment about Sakamoto's ability to defend himself with a Japanese martial art taught in schools over there,too far IMO Let it go!
Absolutely baffling that you can defend that.

You know kung fu is Chinese right? Do you know the difference between Chinese and Japanese don’t you?

robbiekeane

Christ this whole thread is a fucking car crash isn’t it. Pretty depressing what I’ve learnt about our fan base in the last couple of months.

Time for a break from here for me

hamertime

I’ve fucking heard it all now 😂 what a load of shite I can’t believe it
Why is it, Patrice Evra has already done an interview ahe’s ago saying West Ham players refused to share a shower with a gay player.

There is prejudice in the dressing rooms against gay players, it is a reason whether you like it or not that players won’t come out.

There is more homophobia in the dressing room than the stands.

Hitzelsperger said the same thing, I think they know a bit more than you ya clown 🤡

Sick Boy

Why is it, Patrice Evra has already done an interview ahe’s ago saying West Ham players refused to share a shower with a gay player.

There is prejudice in the dressing rooms against gay players, it is a reason whether you like it or not that players won’t come out.

There is more homophobia in the dressing room than the stands.

Hitzelsperger said the same thing, I think they know a bit more than you ya clown 🤡
I’d imagine these days it’s quite different.

hamertime

I’d imagine these days it’s quite different.
Really? Why do you think there are zero current premier league players who are openly gay?

Is it because they are worried the 5% of homophobic fans they see for 90 mins a week might abuse them or is it because the dressing room is macho and testosterone filled. That’s where the real prejudice comes from.

If clubs are serious about change this is where changes need to be made. It’s all hot air just like Jordan Henderson, they are not bothered.

Countless interviews by ex footballers are out there if anyone wishes to research exposing what the dressing rooms are like.

Sick Boy

Really? Why do you think there are zero current premier league players who are openly gay?

Is it because they are worried the 5% of homophobic fans they see for 90 mins a week might abuse them or is it because the dressing room is macho and testosterone filled. That’s where the real prejudice comes from.

If clubs are serious about change this is where changes need to be made. It’s all hot air just like Jordan Henderson, they are not bothered.

Countless interviews by ex footballers are out there if anyone wishes to research exposing what the dressing rooms are like.
I’d imagine there are likely a fair few gay footballers who are out to their team mates but not the wider public. The real issue comes from the stands, as we’ve seen in this thread.

hamertime

I’d imagine there are likely a fair few gay footballers who are out to their team mates but not the wider public. The real issue comes from the stands, as we’ve seen in this thread.
The opposite is the truth. What abuse did Hitzelspurger get? None

Read what Graeme Souness has said in the past about dressing rooms on the matter.

stay_up_skyblues

There was a time when players suffered racism from teammates and management. This has largely (but not completely like any workplace, sadly) been solved by societal changes. Why wouldn’t the same apply to gay footballers being accepted at work? It needs a collective effort and things like Proud Skyblues are part of that.

shmmeee

Thanks for not insulting me !
The joint statement was the right thing to do at the right time and had my full support.
The taking the knee however was adopted from an American TV show and picked by the BLM movement at the time of Beonna Taylors shouting were I believed she caught in the cross fire of her gun touting partner(I stand to be corrected if facts were different). I think we are better than that and could of come up with a home based display and gathered more support than it actually gained. Maybe teams could have walked from goal line to centre spot making it unique to the football community.

Wrong thread. But this post is full of factual inaccuracies.

Danceswithhorses

Don't feel bad for not doing anything, friend...your personal safety is most important, and who knows, it could have kicked off had you said something.
It's not nice to hear, and even though i've just ignored it over the years and still went to games, i can understand why it would put some people off supporting their club and going to games, and surely no one thinks thinks that is a good thing.

Last edited:

ccfcricoh

To half answer your question, yes there is a text line (i'm only half answering because i dont know the number!) but its on the screen pre-game every week.

Definitely the right way to go about things if not comfortable enough to say something directly or to a steward at the time.

Liquid Gold

If you're still banging on (completely inaccurately in this instance btw) about BLM and America when talking about taking the knee then you've ignored statement after statement after statement from clubs, national teams, players and associations fully explaining the reason behind it and what you're doing is the nudge nudge wink wink racism that emboldens others to blanket themselves in this faux air of respectability.

If you're racist or not almost doesn't matter. You're emboldening racists and it's caveman shite that should be kept off this fucking forum.

SBT

I think the number for reporting stuff should be publicised a lot more!
Totally agree - it’s why it always baffles me when people say “What more can the clubs do?”. Well, here’s a really really easy thing to start!

Users who are viewing this thread