Proud Sky Blues (1 Viewer)

ajsccfc

Completely different thing, obviously a group would help them with access issues, etc etc.

But you don’t need a group, which is basically defined on who you shag.

would you need a disabled LBQT subgroup or does just the disabled one suffice?
It's a group aimed at letting people who've historically been made to believe they're not welcome know that actually they are. They also invite anyone to join regardless of who they have sex with.

hamertime

It's a group aimed at letting people who've historically been made to believe they're not welcome know that actually they are. They also invite anyone to join regardless of who they have sex with.
Why wouldn’t they feel welcome, no one there would even know they are gay?

ajsccfc

Why wouldn’t they feel welcome, no one there would even know they are gay?
It's explained both here by the founder and on their site Proud Sky Blues - LGBTQ+ Supporters' Group of Coventry City Football Club

Founder of Proud Sky Blues here, so I thought I'd chime in...

I'm glad to see that the discussion here is more understanding of what the Club are trying to do. It's probably no surprise that we're delighted to see the Club celebrating LGBTQ+ fans and the community, and of course, for working in partnership with Proud Sky Blues.

I appreciate that, for non-LGBTQ+ fans, it can sometimes be difficult to understand things from our perspective. What I would say is that, as LGBTQ+ fans, our experience of football might be different to that of people who would otherwise "fit in". From reading through the thread, a lot of people have empathy for the fact that many LGBTQ+ fans have been directly subjected to abuse or overheard abuse towards other fans and/or players. Many LGBTQ+ people often find it difficult to engage with football because of a hyper-masculine culture that's been around for generations.

From personal experience, I've heard abuse at games since I was 9 years old (now 31). I ended up giving away my season ticket part-way through a season when I was 15. I'd just had enough of hearing every slur under the sun, and as much as I love football, I didn't want to be in that environment anymore.
Since starting Proud Sky Blues and meeting other LGBTQ+ fans, I've quickly learned that my experience isn't unique- we've all been through very similar experiences.

I came back to football a few years later because the Club started engaging in campaigns such as Rainbow Laces. I've never seen these campaigns as virtue signalling or tick-box exercises. To see the Club put out a message to say that someone like me is welcome at the football meant everything. It's ultimately why I started Proud Sky Blues, and the community we've built so quickly is really something special. I know how much it means to LGBTQ+ fans to feel included, and I don't want anyone in the LGBTQ+ community to not feel that they are welcome and safe to enjoy football.

I only wish that a group like this was around when I was 15, as perhaps I wouldn't have walked away from the game.

McLovin87

Completely different thing, obviously a group would help them with access issues, etc etc.

I think you're missing the point, it's not a group about the type of person you shag, these people have to put up with a lot of homophobic shit. This is the kind of stuff straight people would never have to endure, there would never be chants about being straight. Society is getting better but there are still a lot of ignorant twats about.

My cousin who is gay got the shit kicked out him of in Coventry City Centre about 15 years ago, when a couple of lads overheard him talking with his boyfriend. The unlucky thing for these lads was that his 3 older brothers were in town that night and found the lads and kicked the holy shit out of them!

Last edited:

Samo

It really isn't.
It is simply a group of people who face issues in common coming together to share experiences and feel less alone as a result.
The fact that your fine with one group but not the other says more about you than it does about them.

Danceswithhorses

I appreciate that, for non-LGBTQ+ fans, it can sometimes be difficult to understand things from our perspective. What I would say is that, as LGBTQ+ fans, our experience of football might be different to that of people who would otherwise "fit in". From reading through the thread, a lot of people have empathy for the fact that many LGBTQ+ fans have been directly subjected to abuse or overheard abuse towards other fans and/or players. Many LGBTQ+ people often find it difficult to engage with football because of a hyper-masculine culture that's been around for generations.
Just thought i'd give my experience (as a gay man) of going up to Highfield road and Ricoh/CBS Arena for over 4 decades.
I can honestly say that in the vast majority of the many games i've watched over the years, i've heard some homophobic abuse.
It was never aimed at me, but was aimed at officials, opposition players, and occasionally even directed at our own players.
It happened so much, that when i heard it, i just ignored it and screened it out.
I even had one instance at the Ricoh (as it was then), where a friend of mine (we used to go up in a group of 9), shouted at the top of his voice 'get up you puff' at an opposition player who was milking a tackle.
I was sat 2 seats from him, and he was oblivious to what he'd said, and still is to this day.
I laughed it off (to myself), but surely that just shows how easy it is for homophobic abuse to enter the language, when it comes from the mouth of a friend, not from malice, but just casual footy language.

LWale

Just thought i'd give my experience (as a gay man) of going up to Highfield road and Ricoh/CBS Arena for over 4 decades.
I can honestly say that in the vast majority of the many games i've watched over the years, i've heard some homophobic abuse.
It was never aimed at me, but was aimed at officials, opposition players, and occasionally even directed at our own players.
It happened so much, that when i heard it, i just ignored it and screened it out.
I even had one instance at the Ricoh (as it was then), where a friend of mine (we used to go up in a group of 9), shouted at the top of his voice 'get up you puff' at an opposition player who was milking a tackle.
I was sat 2 seats from him, and he was oblivious to what he'd said, and still is to this day.
I laughed it off (to myself), but surely that just shows how easy it is for homophobic abuse to enter the language, when it comes from the mouth of a friend, not from malice, but just casual footy language.
Thanks for sharing. As I say it’s an experience a lot of us share, and it’s something we want to try and change. Hope you’ve signed up as a Proud Sky Blue member 😉

ccfcno9

Spot on. It's the same as the "all lives matter" group of twats.
Ouch!
I'm one of those silent "all lives matter" twats, not because I'm racist in anyway but BLM is a political group with US connections(Hell I don't care greatly for our own political organisations that are to far from centre).BLM fight causes in the US that I personally can't subscribe to, If family/friends surporting known often armed criminals get caught in cross fire in "LEGITIMATE" raids Black or White I can only say unlucky for those hurt.
Clap, take a bow to end racism in football I'm in as all lives matter.
Proud Coventry if people support the club all are welcome, Behave like a twat when sitting near me I reserve the right to make it known, whatever, whoever you like to be known and not reserve special treatment because of such

Otis

Ouch!
I'm one of those silent "all lives matter" twats, not because I'm racist in anyway but BLM is a political group with US connections(Hell I don't care greatly for our own political organisations that are to far from centre).BLM fight causes in the US that I personally can't subscribe to, If family/friends surporting known often armed criminals get caught in cross fire in "LEGITIMATE" raids Black or White I can only say unlucky for those hurt.
Proud Coventry if people support the club all are welcome, Behave like a twat when sitting near me I reserve the right to make it known, whatever, whoever you like to be known and not reserve special treatment because of such
Did the joint statement by all the City players not mean anything to you at all?

I guess you weren't fond of the taking the knee either then?

RNTomlinson

Evening all!

Just wanted to share my personal experience as a member of The Proud Sky Blues.

Football is my life and always has been. But growing up, I never felt like I could play other than in my street or back garden - not because I was gay, but I knew I was different. At school when we were all playing I'd hear the homophobic comments from those in my class, some aimed at me, some not. So whilst I wanted to go and play (badly!) for a team I felt like I couldn't.

Eventually (age 15/16) a friend got me to come along and sign up for their team and it was all going great - I still hadn't come out at this point. After coming out, I felt brave to buy a pair of bright pink Adidas boots. Professional players were now wearing them, so why couldn't I on the pitch?

That's when I got the comment. An opposition player aimed a homophobic slur at me purely because of the colour of my boots. I could have said something back, but it took scoring two goals to pluck up the courage to respond "not bad for a gay boy, right?"

It's not just playing where I've heard the slurs though - I stood in the City away end at one of my first away games and listened as the majority chanted "who's the gay boy in the pink" at a home fan - frozen and unable to say anything. I didn't feel safe standing in with the fans of my own club!

Took me a while to go back to away games and I, like Lewis unfortunately posted himself earlier, stopped going completely for a while.

Now with the PSBs I know there's a group of people who, unfortunately, can probably relate to my past experiences and I know I'm not alone.

It's not about who we want to go home from the football with - it's a support network and it's where I finally feel safe enough to actually be me.

Otis

Evening all!

Football is my life and always has been. But growing up, I never felt like I could play other than in my street or back garden - not because I was gay, but I knew I was different. At school when we were all playing I'd hear the homophobic comments from those in my class, some aimed at me, some not. So whilst I wanted to go and play (badly!) for a team I felt like I couldn't.

Eventually (age 15/16) a friend got me to come along and sign up for their team and it was all going great - I still hadn't come out at this point. After coming out, I felt brave to buy a pair of bright pink Adidas boots. Professional players were now wearing them, so why couldn't I on the pitch?

That's when I got the comment. An opposition player aimed a homophobic slur at me purely because of the colour of my boots. I could have said something back, but it took scoring two goals to pluck up the courage to respond "not bad for a gay boy, right?"

It's not just playing where I've heard the slurs though - I stood in the City away end at one of my first away games and listened as the majority chanted "who's the gay boy in the pink" at a home fan - frozen and unable to say anything. I didn't feel safe standing in with the fans of my own club!

Took me a while to go back to away games and I, like Lewis unfortunately posted himself earlier, stopped going completely for a while.

Now with the PSBs I know there's a group of people who, unfortunately, can probably relate to my past experiences and I know I'm not alone.

It's not about who we want to go home from the football with - it's a support network and it's where I finally feel safe enough to actually be me.
Another lovely post. Fair play to you.

I do hope we can move on from those dark days and I hope the network grows and grows.

Mucca Mad Boys

I'm glad to see that the discussion here is more understanding of what the Club are trying to do. It's probably no surprise that we're delighted to see the Club celebrating LGBTQ+ fans and the community, and of course, for working in partnership with Proud Sky Blues.

From personal experience, I've heard abuse at games since I was 9 years old (now 31). I ended up giving away my season ticket part-way through a season when I was 15. I'd just had enough of hearing every slur under the sun, and as much as I love football, I didn't want to be in that environment anymore. Since starting Proud Sky Blues and meeting other LGBTQ+ fans, I've quickly learned that my experience isn't unique- we've all been through very similar experiences.

I came back to football a few years later because the Club started engaging in campaigns such as Rainbow Laces. I've never seen these campaigns as virtue signalling or tick-box exercises. To see the Club put out a message to say that someone like me is welcome at the football meant everything. It's ultimately why I started Proud Sky Blues, and the community we've built so quickly is really something special. I know how much it means to LGBTQ+ fans to feel included, and I don't want anyone in the LGBTQ+ community to not feel that they are welcome and safe to enjoy football.

I only wish that a group like this was around when I was 15, as perhaps I wouldn't have walked away from the game.
Evening all!

100% agree with you.

One of the main barriers to LGBT representation in the men’s game is probably a lack of community / role models in the game. That’s from the outside looking in and some of the testimonials shared on this forum seem to confirm that.

Things will change in the future and I’m glad you people at PSB have set up an important network. Keep up the good work!

chiefdave

Evening all!

Not sure how anyone can read posts like this and not get why these groups are still needed.

ccfcno9

Did the joint statement by all the City players not mean anything to you at all?

I guess you weren't fond of the taking the knee either then?
Thanks for not insulting me !
The joint statement was the right thing to do at the right time and had my full support.
The taking the knee however was adopted from an American TV show and picked by the BLM movement at the time of Beonna Taylors shouting were I believed she caught in the cross fire of her gun touting partner(I stand to be corrected if facts were different). I think we are better than that and could of come up with a home based display and gathered more support than it actually gained. Maybe teams could have walked from goal line to centre spot making it unique to the football community.

wingy

Thanks for not insulting me !
The joint statement was the right thing to do at the right time and had my full support.
The taking the knee however was adopted from an American TV show and picked by the BLM movement at the time of Beonna Taylors shouting were I believed she caught in the cross fire of her gun touting partner(I stand to be corrected if facts were different). I think we are better than that and could of come up with a home based display and gathered more support than it actually gained. Maybe teams could have walked from goal line to centre spot making it unique to the football community.
But it was obvious it was something else?

torchomatic

Another lovely post. Fair play to you.

I do hope we can move on from those dark days and I hope the network grows and grows.
Well said, Otis. And such fine words @RNTomlinson

There are more of us who are tolerant than those who aren't. I'm 58 and remember the dark days. I never joined in with racist or homophobic chanting as that's not me. My lad is the same. He has the same values that many of us share.

There will always be an intolerant minority. Fuck 'em, I say.

rob9872

Evening all!

Bloody hell, we let 1in and look what's happened 🤣🤣

Only messing - welcome and great post 👍

Danceswithhorses

Jesus...where do i start ?
Why would someone siting next to you (who maybe happened to be gay), 'act like a twat' ?
Maybe you could list what things constitute 'acting like a twat', so that we can all understand you better ?

Also no ones is asking for 'special treatment'...just fair and equal treatment.

rob9872

Well said, Otis. And such fine words @RNTomlinson

There are more of us who are tolerant than those who aren't. I'm 58 and remember the dark days. I never joined in with racist or homophobic chanting as that's not me. My lad is the same. He has the same values that many of us share.

There will always be an intolerant minority. Fuck 'em, I say.
You old git! 🤣

mmttww

You old git! 🤣
Kate Mckinnon Flirt GIF by Saturday Night Live

hamertime

It really isn't.
It is simply a group of people who face issues in common coming together to share experiences and feel less alone as a result.
The fact that your fine with one group but not the other says more about you than it does about them.
What issues do gay people face at a football match these days that’s any different to anyone else? I haven’t hear any homophobic chanting at a match for must be 10 years.

In my eyes it’s just people at a football match, the more you put people in to groups about ethnicity, sexuality, religion it just divides people. Believe what you want.

David O'Day

Ouch!
Wow

David O'Day

This whole thread is about a group of people that could answer your question from first hand experience. Join up, head down the Anecdote on a match day and have a word. Sorted!
He could be he's a troll account.

Users who are viewing this thread