Proud Sky Blues (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

In general sporting participation among lesbians is higher than straight women and among gays is lower than straight men, so it’s always going to be more of an issue in men’s sport.

wingy

So by diminishing one person's rights the other is proven to be hollow belief system until he goes home,jeez staying out of this one!

Mucca Mad Boys

The point made on Twitter about Arab owned clubs is nonsense. Just for starters, how many footballers in the football league are likely to play for such a club?

I think it’s probably right to assume that homosexuality is as common in men’s football as it is in society as a whole. If it isn’t then isn’t this is part of the problem that needs addressing?

That’s an assumption that I don’t think is correct. After all, the % of LGBT athletes in women’s sports (basketball, football, rugby and so on) is disproportionately higher than society of 10-17%. The opposite trend is quite likely to be true in men’s sport.

I can’t think of any leagues or sports where there’s a lot of gay representation in men’s sport.

Thankfully, there are people feeling confident to freely live their lives without hiding their identity. You’d think more would follow in the coming years.

Mucca Mad Boys

It's not my point! I was absolutely staggered that any one can genuinely believe that the reason footballers aren't coming out is that they are cowards and deliberately hiding their sexuality in the hope of a lucrative contract from an Arab owned club.
It’s a whacky thing to say - specifically the charge of cowardice.

That said, could you imagine coming out if you had bosses/colleagues who didn’t share liberal attitudes to homosexuality?

hamertime

I don’t think the younger generation give a monkeys if someone is gay or not. The older generation mainly use it as something they can take the piss with, but not really bothered either.

The reason I think a lot of players don’t come out it because it would create an issue in the dressing room as players are dressing in front of each other.

I don’t agree with the club doing what they are doing as I think the more you talk about people as gay it makes it an issue. Just my personal opinion as I just see everyone as people. I wouldn’t ask someone if they were straight or gay as I don’t care.

McLovin87

I've got nothing against Legends Day so long as they keep it behind closed doors and don't wave it in my face or the face of the silent majority, but what about a day for your Alex Evtushoks, your Rafaele Nuzzos, your Carlitas? I'm just asking questions. All players matter.
Some of my best friends are legends!!

Sick Boy

I've got nothing against Legends Day so long as they keep it behind closed doors and don't wave it in my face or the face of the silent majority, but what about a day for your Alex Evtushoks, your Rafaele Nuzzos, your Carlitas? I'm just asking questions. All players matter.
You missed “ram it down our throats”.

mmttww

I don’t agree with the club doing what they are doing as I think the more you talk about people as gay it makes it an issue. Just my personal opinion as I just see everyone as people. I wouldn’t ask someone if they were straight or gay as I don’t care.

Having an opinion on what the club's doing says that you do care. If I see Dua Lipa's put an album out, I don't talk about it, because I don't care. If you didn't care, you wouldn't be talking about it on football forum.

CCFC hasn't created an issue. It's no secret that sports people hide their sexuality, or that some fans don't feel comfortable being themselves at matches. Fans were asked to 'not act gay' at the last World Cup.

hamertime

Having an opinion on what the club's doing says that you do care. If I see Dua Lipa's put an album out, I don't talk about it, because I don't care. If you didn't care, you wouldn't be talking about it on football forum.

CCFC hasn't created an issue. It's no secret that sports people hide their sexuality, or that some fans don't feel comfortable being themselves at matches. Fans were asked to 'not act gay' at the last World Cup.
I really don’t care who someone wants to shag, I only care what people are like as a person when I meet them end of.

The World Cup is another matter, it was a disgrace it even went ahead. The government and FA let every gay person down in this country by going to play in it. I said as soon as it was announced I said I’d rather us not play in it.

torchomatic

Do the people questioning why these groups exist ever take the time to actually ask one of their members what’s behind it? Feels like they would have a better understanding of why it’s not as simple as “We’re all just football fans” at the end of the day.

I imagine they're the kind of people who use the word "woke" a lot.

torchomatic

All this ‘why not straight pride nonsense’

The people who have made the comments are bigots
Spot on. It's the same as the "all lives matter" group of twats.

hamertime

I don’t even agree with the supporter Group for LGBTQ+ fans. I mean what’s the point of it, you’re just a football fan.

I believe the more different groups you create for people, the more you divide people.

mmttww

I believe the more different groups you create for people, the more you divide people.

Sounds like football clubs and national teams, so applying your thinking should we...

Bin off football teams, as we're all football fans, and we should just support 'football'?

torchomatic

I don’t even agree with the supporter Group for LGBTQ+ fans. I mean what’s the point of it, you’re just a football fan.

We should all support the same football team then, shouldn't we? Shall we all support Man City?

hamertime

Sounds like football clubs and national teams, so applying your thinking should we...

Bin off football teams, as we're all football fans, and we should just support 'football'?
Are you seriously taking what I said and applying it to sports teams? If you are, you’re too thick to have a conversation with.

Samo

Do you believe there shouldn't be a disabled supporters group?

LWale

Founder of Proud Sky Blues here, so I thought I'd chime in...

I'm glad to see that the discussion here is more understanding of what the Club are trying to do. It's probably no surprise that we're delighted to see the Club celebrating LGBTQ+ fans and the community, and of course, for working in partnership with Proud Sky Blues.

I appreciate that, for non-LGBTQ+ fans, it can sometimes be difficult to understand things from our perspective. What I would say is that, as LGBTQ+ fans, our experience of football might be different to that of people who would otherwise "fit in". From reading through the thread, a lot of people have empathy for the fact that many LGBTQ+ fans have been directly subjected to abuse or overheard abuse towards other fans and/or players. Many LGBTQ+ people often find it difficult to engage with football because of a hyper-masculine culture that's been around for generations.

From personal experience, I've heard abuse at games since I was 9 years old (now 31). I ended up giving away my season ticket part-way through a season when I was 15. I'd just had enough of hearing every slur under the sun, and as much as I love football, I didn't want to be in that environment anymore. Since starting Proud Sky Blues and meeting other LGBTQ+ fans, I've quickly learned that my experience isn't unique- we've all been through very similar experiences.

I came back to football a few years later because the Club started engaging in campaigns such as Rainbow Laces. I've never seen these campaigns as virtue signalling or tick-box exercises. To see the Club put out a message to say that someone like me is welcome at the football meant everything. It's ultimately why I started Proud Sky Blues, and the community we've built so quickly is really something special. I know how much it means to LGBTQ+ fans to feel included, and I don't want anyone in the LGBTQ+ community to not feel that they are welcome and safe to enjoy football.

I only wish that a group like this was around when I was 15, as perhaps I wouldn't have walked away from the game.

Otis

I'm glad to see that the discussion here is more understanding of what the Club are trying to do. It's probably no surprise that we're delighted to see the Club celebrating LGBTQ+ fans and the community, and of course, for working in partnership with Proud Sky Blues.

I appreciate that, for non-LGBTQ+ fans, it can sometimes be difficult to understand things from our perspective. What I would say is that, as LGBTQ+ fans, our experience of football might be different to that of people who would otherwise "fit in". From reading through the thread, a lot of people have empathy for the fact that many LGBTQ+ fans have been directly subjected to abuse or overheard abuse towards other fans and/or players. Many LGBTQ+ people often find it difficult to engage with football because of a hyper-masculine culture that's been around for generations.

From personal experience, I've heard abuse at games since I was 9 years old (now 31). I ended up giving away my season ticket part-way through a season when I was 15. I'd just had enough of hearing every slur under the sun, and as much as I love football, I didn't want to be in that environment anymore. Since starting Proud Sky Blues and meeting other LGBTQ+ fans, I've quickly learned that my experience isn't unique- we've all been through very similar experiences.

I came back to football a few years later because the Club started engaging in campaigns such as Rainbow Laces. I've never seen these campaigns as virtue signalling or tick-box exercises. To see the Club put out a message to say that someone like me is welcome at the football meant everything. It's ultimately why I started Proud Sky Blues, and the community we've built so quickly is really something special. I know how much it means to LGBTQ+ fans to feel included, and I don't want anyone in the LGBTQ+ community to not feel that they are welcome and safe to enjoy football.

I only wish that a group like this was around when I was 15, as perhaps I wouldn't have walked away from the game.
Great post.

torchomatic

Great post. Power to you, L.

AiS86

Does this apply to the Leamington and Warwick supporters group? London? USA?

wingy

Simple generational shift, perfectly normal, but when you see someone of @thekidfromstrettoncamp criticised for his comment about Sakamoto's ability to defend himself with a Japanese martial art taught in schools over there,too far IMO Let it go!

rob9872

Isn't that Leicester City?

Sorry open goal, that was too easy :) Certainly no offence meant to any of our disabled supporters!

hamertime

Completely different thing, obviously a group would help them with access issues, etc etc.

But you don’t need a group, which is basically defined on who you shag.

would you need a disabled LBQT subgroup or does just the disabled one suffice?

rob9872

We could have a twats group with you in it, unfortunately there's a lot on here who would probably like to include me too, so I'd still be stuck with you!

stay_up_skyblues

Drop The Mic GIF by In Real Life

Users who are viewing this thread