Proud Sky Blues (1 Viewer)

Pusb1

By some of the bigoted responses against the original twitter post, it shows exactly why this should be highlighted.

As a member of the LGBT community, comments that are made on posts such as this seem innocuous but have only being made to insight further hateful comments by others and they just illicit further hate

All this ‘why not straight pride nonsense’
Is it still illegal for you just to be you in a vast amount of countries globally? Do you have to search whether you could be sentenced to prison for being yourself everytime you plan a family holiday?

There is barely any out professional footballers. Football on the terraces is still inherently homophobic. I’ve heard on numerous instances this year the words ‘fag’ , ‘gay boy’ etc being banded around.
That is why no player would ever come out as gay. And why we need to do more to highlight the issues.

The people who have made the comments are bigots

Otis

I've got nothing against Legends Day so long as they keep it behind closed doors and don't wave it in my face or the face of the silent majority, but what about a day for your Alex Evtushoks, your Rafaele Nuzzos, your Carlitas? I'm just asking questions. All players matter.
I like to take a more scientific approach to it all to be honest and say all matter matters.

Saddlebrains

I'd say that's likely because those with mental illness are castigated less in society that members of the LGBTQ+ community.

And whilst you say discussing gender dysphoria here might not help, it's fair to call out posts where someone says Transgenderism is a mental illness.

Unless I've misunderstood the point of your post.

Tbf i think that was me that said that

Still stand by it to an extent. When you see Sam Smith parading round like he does as a 'role model' for kids makes me feel uneasy

100% behind anything else LGBT, i just dont feel comfortable with some of the pronoun/identification stuff

mmttww

I just dont feel comfortable with some of the pronoun/identification stuff

Fair f*cks to you for posting about it, but it's not about how you feel. That's the point for me. How you feel about it doesn't come in to it. Don't like it? Crack on. If you think someone's not a great role model because they wear daft clothes, cool.

It's good people are talking about this. Worth reflecting on the fact that we're having this chat on a football forum. A place where huge chunks of the UK population are labelled d*ckheads most days because they have a different postcode to us.

Saddlebrains

Fair f*cks to you for posting about it, but it's not about how you feel. That's the point for me. How you feel about it doesn't come in to it. Don't like it? Crack on. If you think someone's not a great role model because they wear daft clothes, cool.

It's good people are talking about this. Worth reflecting on the fact that we're having this chat on a football forum. A place where huge chunks of the UK population are labelled d*ckheads most days because they have a different postcode to us.

This is it. Its like you have to be compartmentalised on views in life.

I have gay friends, i was a groomsman at one of thems wedding. I dont call.it a 'civil cermony' its a wedding still to me, just happened to be 2 blokes 🤷

However i see something like an image of Sam Smith dressed as a pork joint gyrating all over almost nude men at a concert children are able to attend or view and i just think 'na cant support that kind of stuff'

Like politics. Im not one or another. I think some policies from both are wank and some are good.

shmmeee

The only time it’s relevant is if we started playing blokes in the women’s team, at which point I’d have something to say. Sam Smith failing badly to be a shocking rock star is neither here nor there TBH. My views on this stuff are all over OT, they probably align with Saddles a fair bit. But none of that is what this is about and even if I did think trans people are misguided/backed by questionable science, I’d still treat one the same as any other city fan.

I think when it’s something innocuous like this that gets those responses there’s something else being triggered.

mmttww

However i see something like an image of Sam Smith dressed as a pork joint gyrating all over almost nude men at a concert children are able to attend or view and i just think 'na cant support that kind of stuff'.

No one's asking you to support it, though. It's about consistency for me. If you'd respond in the same way for the same reasons to a woman you think's attractive doing the same with almost nude women, or something where the dynamic was heterosexual, cool. If not, why not?

Last edited:

mmttww

Anyways, re: the thread OP, the more people that feel welcome supporting my club, the better. Having a chant about how we've got more gay fans than the opposition would be a bold flex. Beats chants about Joel's dick.

robbiekeane

However i see something like an image of Sam Smith dressed as a pork joint gyrating all over almost nude men at a concert children are able to attend or view and i just think 'na cant support that kind of stuff'
What if it was ariana grande gyrating over almost nude men?

mrfr

Eventually football is going to leave behind the kind of people who moan about this stuff and it’ll be all the better for it.

For every bigot, misogynist, racist and homophobe who feels like they can show up at games or on the club twitter and be a knob there are a load of people who have stayed away because they haven’t been made to feel welcome - if this stuff helps change that then I’m all for it and am glad my club isn’t shying away from its responsibility as a prominent voice in the community.

Last edited:

mmttww

It’s not a problem in the UK anymore.

Hot Shots Idiot GIF

Danceswithhorses

I seen two gay chaps snogging in the street today and I dropped my shopping to applaud them. Many others did the same.
It’s not a problem in the UK anymore.
Just because you've seen 2 chaps snogging once, does not mean that 'It's not a problem in the UK anymore'.
I won't hold my partners hand or kiss him in a public setting (eg street/pub/football ground), for fear of some idiot(s) shouting abuse or trying to lamp me or him...it's just not worth the risk.
I'm assuming you're a straight guy, so imagine being out and about, and being unable to hold you wife/girlfriends hand, or show her any kind of affection, for fear of being beaten up or verbally abused...not pleasant, and that's a life limiting restriction that you would carry around with you, every single day.
I'm absolutely not having a go at you personally, as you seem like a decent chap, but i just wanted to point out from my own experience, that it absolutely is still a problem in the UK.

Last edited:

Astute

it absolutely is still a problem in the UK.
I think the problem with perception these days is people see gay couples on the TV in a safe environment and other things like marches and gay pride week and think everything has changed yet don't consider how many idiots there are out there. People love to take offence at anything they don't see as 'normal'. Some people just have pure hatred for anything they don't see as 'normal'.

Things have improved since I was young. But there's still a long way to go.

Sick Boy

Brighton Sky Blue

A simple question. How many openly gay footballers are there compared to how many there must be who keep their sexuality a secret?

Esoterica

The lack of openly gay footballers in the game says it all about the reality of the situation.
The only reason they are not out is because it might hinder their chances of a bumper contract with a club funded by Arab millions.

From the offal FB page:

1708591263924.png

Mucca Mad Boys

The only reason they are not out is because it might hinder their chances of a bumper contract with a club funded by Arab millions.

From the offal FB page:

View attachment 34160

It’s a different culture in men and woman’s football.

A couple of quick points:
- a lot more abuse from fans in men’s sport
- LGBT representation is disproportionately higher in women’s sport compared to societal averages
- Whereas, I suspect the opposite trend is true in men’s sport - I’d have to look into that point in detail though
- Cultural norms of domestic and overseas players, the European leagues have lots of players from religious backgrounds which may or may not be so welcoming of LGBT players
- I wouldn’t single out Arab owned clubs here but I don’t disagree with that point in and of itself
- Lack of role models & community - there is no publically visible professional footballer’s community of LGBT players

There’s more to delve into but that’s a few things off the top of my head.

Terry_dactyl

- LGBT representation is disproportionately higher in women’s sport compared to societal averages
- Whereas, I suspect the opposite trend is true in men’s sport - I’d have to look into that point in detail though
- Cultural norms of domestic and overseas players, the European leagues have lots of players from religious backgrounds which may or may not be so welcoming of LGBT players
- I wouldn’t single out Arab owned clubs here but I don’t disagree with that point in and of itself
- Lack of role models & community - there is no publically visible professional footballer’s community of LGBT players

The point made on Twitter about Arab owned clubs is nonsense. Just for starters, how many footballers in the football league are likely to play for such a club?

I think it’s probably right to assume that homosexuality is as common in men’s football as it is in society as a whole. If it isn’t then isn’t this is part of the problem that needs addressing?

Last edited:

Esoterica

It's not my point! I was absolutely staggered that any one can genuinely believe that the reason footballers aren't coming out is that they are cowards and deliberately hiding their sexuality in the hope of a lucrative contract from an Arab owned club.

Users who are viewing this thread