Protest in Coventry City Centre - Midday on Saturday 20th July (1 Viewer)

Monkeyface

Am I right that there is a protest march on Saturday? Sorry if itson here somewhere, I can't be arsed to read all the posts to find it?!

sure is 12pm at gosford green onwards to town. this has to be a well attended protest/march to send a clear message to anyone and everyone.

ill be there at some point, will anybody else?

Last edited:

Snozz_is_god

sure is 12pm at gosford green onwards to town. this has to be a well attended protest/march to send a clear message to anyone and everyone.

ill be there at some point, will anybody else?

Sadly I won't be there as I'm in Morecambe, but I'll be with you all in sprirt or maybe beer

Delboycov

I'll be there but have to say been disappointed with the lack of publicity about this as with the clock ticking it needs to be a massive show of strength of our opposition to being moved out of our city. Haven't criticised the SBT before but a city centre march is an opportunity to galvanise and unite the fans and although I've heard rumours about a protest this is the 1st time I've seen anything with regards actual details...I've been actively looking for info so with only a few days to go what hope have they got of getting the less informed and more casual fan on board?

*Just seen post about front page CT mentioning it....now that's what I'm talking about!*

Last edited:

Spionkop

If you care about your club this is your last chance to do your bit to keep them in Coventry. Forget any negative views about SBT or whatever, let's get together and show our unity just this once. This is so crucial. Just be there.

saltaire bantam

I really hope this pulls you all together because your support appears so fragmented at the moment and you can only wield some power when you are mobilised and strong. Good luck.

Steve.B50

I'll be there but have to say been disappointed with the lack of publicity about this as with the clock ticking it needs to be a massive show of strength of our opposition to being moved out of our city. Haven't criticised the SBT before but a city centre march is an opportunity to galvanise and unite the fans and although I've heard rumours about a protest this is the 1st time I've seen anything with regards actual details...I've been actively looking for info so with only a few days to go what hope have they got of getting the less informed and more casual fan on board?

*Just seen post about front page CT mentioning it....now that's what I'm talking about!*

Can understand your frustrations but this has not been easy to organise and only got the official ok yesterday from the Council and Police, had to change route due to other events and road works. Have you got any idea how hard it is to find a white horse and a Lady Godiva?
We wanted the protest to be for everyone in Coventry not just City fans to say "Keep Coventry in Coventry"

Covstu

yes lets hhope we can get the numbers there to really make a difference. Sadly I think it will be a poor turnout again.

ashbyjan

Delboy - we couldn't publicise until we had council and police permission, we have been working hard behind the scenes to get this sorted and we got that yesterday. Plan is to meet on Gosford Green, where the club played their first game 130 years ago, at 12.00 on Saturday ans start the march at 12.30. Lady Godiva on a white horse will lead the march up into Broadgate where we will have a stage for speeches and some music. We need this to be as big as it possibly can be to get national media attention - it is aimed at the Football League as they are the only ones that can stop this lunacy.

This is not just for the Trust but for all supporters and for all the citizens of Coventry who are having money sucked out of the local economy by this unnecessary and idiotic move to Northampton. Keep Cov In Cov - please join us on Saturday and lets show the world we still have some spirit left in Coventry.

simple_simon

yes lets hhope we can get the numbers there to really make a difference. Sadly I think it will be a poor turnout again.

If we dont all get behind this I think its the end, people have to understand if Coventry City leave Coventry they are not going to come back.
Get behind anything that puts pressure on the FL, SISU, ACL and Joy Sappala.

My kids will be making us a banner for Saturday.

Covcraig@bury

Delboy - we couldn't publicise until we had council and police permission, we have been working hard behind the scenes to get this sorted and we got that yesterday. Plan is to meet on Gosford Green, where the club played their first game 130 years ago, at 12.00 on Saturday ans start the march at 12.30. Lady Godiva on a white horse will lead the march up into Broadgate where we will have a stage for speeches and some music. We need this to be as big as it possibly can be to get national media attention - it is aimed at the Football League as they are the only ones that can stop this lunacy.

This is not just for the Trust but for all supporters and for all the citizens of Coventry who are having money sucked out of the local economy by this unnecessary and idiotic move to Northampton. Keep Cov In Cov - please join us on Saturday and lets show the world we still have some spirit left in Coventry.

TOTALLY AGREE.
THIS COULD BE OUR LAST CHANCE.
PUSB and KEEP THE FAITH

Delboycov

Thanks for the explanation guys and I fully understand now how difficult this must be to organise. I think it's a fantastic idea starting from Gosford Green with it being such a big part of our history and will no doubt remind us of much better days at HR. I will definitely be there and will try and persuade as many others as possible that they have no alternative but to be there too....

Spionkop

Like a lot of you I emailed the Football League a few times, like all of you I got the standard reply. Listening to the AFC bloke on the radio just now prompted me to have another go at them. Let's keep trying all ways we can. For what it's worth, here is my email. Written very quickly and probably done in the heat of the moment, but they'll get the message.

"Andrew, thank you for your reply. I do understand you are probably receiving many contacts from CCFC supporters. We are deeply concerned.
To be honest I, and all the other people who have received your standard reply, are shocked at the ineffectual stance of the Football League.
In light of Mr Bob Ainsworth’s comments in Parliament in the past few days, the offer by Mr Gary Hoffman to pay the rent for the next few seasons, which has been dismissed out of hand by Mr Fisher who, as you know, represents Sisu/Otium, etc. etc. Does this not suggest to you that whatever proposal is put to Sisu they turn it down? We Coventry supporters are of a mind that Sisu are determined to ‘distress’ Arena Coventry Ltd to the point where they fold and Sisu buy them out on the cheap. It is what Hedge Funds do.
Just this morning Mr David Grounds of AFC Wimbledon has pointed out on a local Coventry radio station how, over twenty years ago, the Football League said they would never allow another Wimbledon FC situation to arise. He said today that is exactly what you are allowing to happen at Coventry.
Has the League not learnt from that massive mistake?
Already Sisu have stretched the possible waiting time for their proposed new ground from three years to five years – in the space of a week.
You have the power, you must intervene. If you don’t the Coventry City that plays in Northampton will wither and die. You will have been instrumental in that by your negligence.
I hope the Football League do the right thing."

ccfcway

Sky Blues fans planning mass protest through Coventry over plans to move club out of city

16 Jul 2013 07:42 Permission given permission by council for one-mile march through the heart of Coventry - led by Lady Godiva

A rallying cry has gone out to Coventry City supporters to join a mass protest march through the city – led by Lady Godiva.

Supporters’ group The Sky Blue Trust has received permission from the city council to stage a one-mile march into the heart of the city to show opposition to the club’s plans to play their home games at Northampton Town’s Sixfields stadium – 35 miles away.

The fans’ group hopes that thousands of people will heed their cry to take to the streets on Saturday .

Their procession will see fans led into the city centre by Lady Godiva on a white horse.

Jan Mokrzycki, spokesman for The Sky Blue Trust, said: “The point of this march is to try to make the football club see sense.

“They seem steadfast in their plans, but we are hoping by keeping this issue in the public eye, we will help them make the right decision.

“We have been given permission to undertake the march and we will now walk the route through with Coventry City Council and West Midlands Police to make sure there are no safety problems.

“We are encouraging as many people as possible with an interest in Coventry City to attend.

“Everyone is welcome – because it is not just the supporters who will suffer from this move, it’s the people of Coventry.”

The procession is due to set off from Gosford Green, close to the original Highfield Road home of the football club, at 12.30pm before ending up at Broadgate in the city centre.

There, the group plans to stage a rallying event including speeches from former players and performances by local bands.

It will be the third protest event staged as part of The Sky Blues Trust’s Keep Coventry in Coventry campaign.

The Trust, which has more than 2,500 members, attracted hundreds of people to its previous protests including a spoof statue unveiling of Sisu boss Joy Seppala at the Ricoh Arena and the black balloon release at the Sky Blues’ friendly with Nuneaton Town on Saturday.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
13000 signed the Telegraph online petition to keep CCFC playing in Coventry, and SISU totally ignored that. Sorry to sound pessimistic, but does anyone really think they'll take notice of a city centre protest? I promise you all, that I would be there anyway, if I didn't live so far away, but am feeling soooo dejected right now. :(

theferret

13000 signed the Telegraph online petition to keep CCFC playing in Coventry, and SISU totally ignored that. Sorry to sound pessimistic, but does anyone really think they'll take notice of a city centre protest? I promise you all, that I would be there anyway, if I didn't live so far away, but am feeling soooo dejected right now. :(

I don't think it will make any real difference, but it is symbolic, and I think the time is right for a show of strength and unity. I've been a little indifferent to some of the previous protests, but this I think will catch on and I expect a lot will attend, and it is important they do. I might not share the very black and white 'ACL good, SISU bad' view that many have, but clearly we have to fight to save our club and keep it in Coventry - and a proper mass protest would bring everyone together at a time when the fans are still quite fragmented.

Steve.B50

I don't think it will make any real difference, but it is symbolic, and I think the time is right for a show of strength and unity. I've been a little indifferent to some of the previous protests, but this I think will catch on and I expect a lot will attend, and it is important they do. I might not share the very black and white 'ACL good, SISU bad' view that many have, but clearly we have to fight to save our club and keep it in Coventry - and a proper mass protest would bring everyone together at a time when the fans are still quite fragmented.

This protest is about Keeping Coventry City in Coventry, not anti SISU or anti ACL, we know some have certain views and they are all welcome but the event on Saturday is to try and get ONE message out: Keep Coventry City Football Club in Coventry.

Like a lot of people we do not think the club will ever come back once it leaves.

Steve.B50

It was discussed but we were told its not safe to go on roads at present,
The 87 bus was going to be used as a stage but it cannot get an MOT .

ccfcway

would love to attend, but wont be in England..

Hope all goes well, but personally I think we should do this on the 1st "home" game of the season

ajsccfc

I'm going, mainly because it's so nearby. I'm not in the SBT, but if this is solely about the move then I'm with it (daddy-o)

You'll Never Beat McPake

Myself and as many of my family and friends I can round-up will be there. This is our chance as the citizens of Coventry to show our Blitz spirit and not give up without a fight.
PUSB

Steve.B50

I'm going, mainly because it's so nearby. I'm not in the SBT, but if this is solely about the move then I'm with it (daddy-o)

No need to be in the Trust or even a Coventry supporter its all about people making a statement to keep a proffesional team in Coventry.

sky_blue_up_north

I'll be travelling down from Cheshire... this is the last chance saloon in my opinion.

The Penguin

Would love to be there, distance makes it slightly tricky.

Unless somebody wants to spring for my flight ;)

Seriously, everybody who can go, should go to this. It's a no-brainer in my view. I echo the sentiments of others on here, this is a chance to put all this ACL/SISU shite to one side and focus on the one thing we, as Sky Blues, can all agree on - that Coventry City belongs in Coventry.

ashbyjan

Just to be clear to all - this march and rally is NOT a SISU-out campaign or message but simply "Keep Cov in Cov". Nationally SISU-out means nothing to the viewers of Sky or ITV etc but Keep Cov in Cov is something all can identify with as it could be their club or town next. It is for the good of the clubs supporters and all the citizens of Coventry. The aim is to get publicity nationally and embarrass the Football League into changing their decision. It is not aimed at SISU, Seppala, Fisher, ACL, the council etc, simply it is to highlight the situation and get the FL to reverse their ludicrous decision before its too late. All are invited to join us, Trust members, Trust Lovers, Trust haters, Trust couldn't give a toss one way or the otherers, all Cov fans in general, non football supporters, in fact anyone who can please attend and together lets make the FL sit up and take notice.

Users who are viewing this thread