Promotion feel? (1 Viewer)

ccfcrob

If we win tonight we are 5 points of Luton with 2 games in hand. That's an automatic spot! (I know others have games in hand also). Considering we were 11-12 points off autos a few weeks back with difficult trips to Mansfield and Wycombe to contend with, we are in a bloody good position. If we get a positive result tonight I think the players will start to believe!

Esoterica

If we win tonight we are 5 points of Luton with 2 games in hand. That's an automatic spot! (I know others have games in hand also). Considering we were 11-12 points off autos a few weeks back with difficult trips to Mansfield and Wycombe to contend with, we are in a bloody good position. If we get a positive result tonight I think the players will start to believe!
Your maths is not quite right there - if we win tonight we're 9 points off Luton with 1 game in hand and Exeter also play tonight and will expect to beat Yeovil to maintain there 2 point and 2 game lead over us.

EDIT: You meant Notts County not Luton I've just realised but it's still only 1 game in hand!

ccfcricoh

I'm quietly confident of playoffs but can't quite see auto's.

i think Accrington/Luton/Exeter could well be top 3.

Playoffs i think has more twist and turns in it - i can see at least one of Notts/Wycombe/Mansfield dropping with potentially Swindon/Carlisle and us to swap with them.

long way to go yet

harvey098

It would be interesting to see where we were on this day 2 seasons ago. We must've been in a similar position? Can any of you clever lot find out?

Mucca Mad Boys

I'm quietly confident of playoffs but can't quite see auto's.

i think Accrington/Luton/Exeter could well be top 3.

Playoffs i think has more twist and turns in it - i can see at least one of Notts/Wycombe/Mansfield dropping with potentially Swindon/Carlisle and us to swap with them.

long way to go yet

A lot of people seem to have Exter pencilled in for 3rd. Their form hasn’t been much better than ours of late and their goal difference is worse than ours, in fact, only Swindon have a worse GD than Exeter in the top 9.

The reality is, from any team could feasibly make the autos from 3rd to 9th. It’s incredibly tight. Thankfully, after tonight’s game, we only have Notts County to play in the top 10. Hopefully the teams above start taking points off one another whilst we just keep picking points up. I’d say at most, we can afford to lose 2 games for the rest of the season, so long we win the rest.

Otis

A lot of people seem to have Exter pencilled in for 3rd. Their form hasn’t been much better than ours of late and their goal difference is worse than ours, in fact, only Swindon have a worse GD than Exeter in the top 9.

The reality is, from any team could feasibly make the autos from 3rd to 9th. It’s incredibly tight. Thankfully, after tonight’s game, we only have Notts County to play in the top 10. Hopefully the teams above start taking points off one another whilst we just keep picking points up. I’d say at most, we can afford to lose 2 games for the rest of the season, so long we win the rest.
I still maintain the three best sides we have faced this season are Accrington, Mansfield and Swindon. Think we discount the last two at our peril.

Be interesting to see how much losing their manager has hurt Swindon though

ccfcricoh

Agree about Exeter form but i'd say its on par with Notts and Luton form but they have 2 extra games to play, obviously need to win them still - its more ust a feeling they will drag themselves over line.

I'd also stick Carlisle (10th) in on recent form as chance for playoffs - won 4 out of last 5.

Our run in does look good - if we did well against the lower teams, its still in our hands. win home draw away and playoffs at least will be achieved.

Esoterica

I still maintain the three best sides we have faced this season are Accrington, Mansfield and Swindon. Think we discount the last two at our peril.

Be interesting to see how much losing their manager has hurt Swindon though
They've appointed Phil Brown! Swindon are the only other team in the top 10 that haven't been able to string a run together this season, mainly because of their awful home form (they've conceded 32 goals at home, more than we have in total all season). Can't see Brown working out for them longer term but having a feeling he might be just the kind of manager who could galvanise them for 8 or 9 games at the end of a season.

Mucca Mad Boys

Agree about Exeter form but i'd say its on par with Notts and Luton form but they have 2 extra games to play, obviously need to win them still - its more ust a feeling they will drag themselves over line.

I'd also stick Carlisle (10th) in on recent form as chance for playoffs - won 4 out of last 5.

Our run in does look good - if we did well against the lower teams, its still in our hands. win home draw away and playoffs at least will be achieved.

Indeed, but Notts County and Luton have the points banked, Exeter know they have to win. Since Exeter’s form hasn’t been paricularly great, I probably can’t see them dragging themselves over 12 games they have left.

Carlisle could maybe do something, but us, Swindon, Exeter and Lincoln all have at least one game in hand on them. So they’re very dependent on results and have to keep up their form.

I think the team should aim high for an automatic promotion spot. On paper, our lack of goals is a concern, but with JCH and McNulty up there, there’s two match winners there. I would be happy with playoffs and I actually would fancy our chances against anyone in the playoffs at the moment, bar Mansfield (but they’ve lost Evans, and we’ve beaten Flitcroft’s Swindon twice) and Exeter (though we lost from a goal keeping error).

Covstu

The Cynic in me says we don't have the momentum to be a promotional contender at present, we are grinding results like Saturday which is great but not playing with confidence. Maybe that doesn't matter??

I personally think we will get into the playoffs then its like a cup and given our recent cup form in the FA and Checkatrade last year we might be feared. We need a massive backing from our supporters should the time come so will be interesting to see how that plays out. Time for us to be positive for a change!!

Otis

They've appointed Phil Brown! Swindon are the only other team in the top 10 that haven't been able to string a run together this season, mainly because of their awful home form (they've conceded 32 goals at home, more than we have in total all season). Can't see Brown working out for them longer term but having a feeling he might be just the kind of manager who could galvanise them for 8 or 9 games at the end of a season.
Agree. I think he is a poor manager, but short term I would certainly expect him to do quite well there, as long as the players respond to him.

Johhny Blue

Hmm, but is it an art?

Their centre forward on Saturday had the ball come to him just outside the penalty area in the first half and all he had to do was to retain possession and he had a clear run on goal, pretty much one on one.

Inexplicably though he decided to take a pot shot rather than run in on goal and the shot went well wide.

There was no art to be had on our part there unfortunately. Luckily for us Barnet didn't have their shooting boots on.

If we win 1-0, but don't play well and the opposition spurn a number of opportunities, there is no art involved.
There is.no art in this division. This applies to all teams not just us. In the art world this would be the finger painting league.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I was at "that game" against Wolves. Unforgettable atmosphere! I was 14 at the time and had been going to Highfield Rd since I was 11. The whole city came together - just like it did later, in 1987. There was sky blue everywhere. It's something I'd like to see again before I peg it, but I have a feeling it will be a long time coming. I pray I'm wrong, but the club has lost a lot of what it once had. Good crowds, a team that played for the shirt, a board that actually cared about the club and a city full of fans, whether football lovers or not. I'd love to see it happen again, if only for our younger fans who have never known success. Let's face it, you have to be in your late 30's or so to even remember the FA Cup Final in '87.
Highfield Rd Crowds.jpg
Champions..jpg

Users who are viewing this thread