Progressing his Career? (3 Viewers)

Brylowes

I moved away from cov in 1980 aged 11 and moved to the east coast,by 1984 my parents kept a pub.Watched Coventry whenever I could but it wasn't enough ,so started going to Norwich games with two
of my dad's regulars (must admit it made me feel dirty)not a great place.
Crowds were regularly under 10.000,all in all a very uninspiring experience so I didn't keep going 4 long.
A few years later my young nephew started to get free tickets through his youth team,my brother working
offshore asked me to take him,so I reluctantly agreed.
The tickets were completely free, but not many people were taking up the offer but they stuck with it,everything geared towards youth.
I witnessed many heated arguments between season ticket holders and guys they obviously hadn't seen up there for a long while .
But to their credit they stuck with the policy,crowds slowly but surely began to increase,more importantly
they were steering the kids away from the increasing onslaught of the big clubs via TV.
They continued with this policy for maybe 5 to7 years,and were then in a position where they didn't have
to anymore.Their crowds today are I feel a direct result of this,when you go there now the age of a large proportion of the fan base reflects this
I wish CCFC who were very similar to NCFC in the 1980s had the foresight to engage the fans in this way.
If you capture them young & get there interest you have a great chance of keeping them for life.

Nothing to stop CCFC doing it now though.

AngryAnt

Norwich have had a far firmer base than us in terms of infrastructure for years, however.

You ever been to Norfolk? Having spent some of my childhood there, there's not that much to do besides footy.

As with the previous post ^^^, I was given some free tickets from school or some sort of kids football thing and living 20 miles from Norwich at the time, we went, felt wrong even at that age but fair play to them they were doing the right thing. We also had to once write a letter to a championship team (which annoyed me because Cov were in the prem in the 90's and they refused to let me write to them, had to write to barnsley or burnley or something starting with a B) and ask for free stuff. The kid who wrote to Norwich got a shed load of free stuff from tickets to even a kit.
So it seems like they carried it on well into the 90's.

Last edited:

ajsccfc

I'm not sure there being little else to do in Norwich is much of an explanation of why their attendances are great. I'd be surprised if the 5-6000 people that didn't come back for the next game after Burton had a pressing engagement at the symphony or a gallery opening.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
sorry but on any measurement Norwich could be rated as a bigger club than CCFC

The 30 June 2015 Norwich accounts can be viewed here
https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/00154044/filing-history

One fact included average crowd 26k

others are
Turnover £52m
Gate receipts £10m
Wage bill £48m
Net assets + £16m

WE may one day get there but currently we are not

Captain Dart

sorry but on any measurement Norwich could be rated as a bigger club than CCFC

The 30 June 2015 Norwich accounts can be viewed here
https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/00154044/filing-history

One fact included average crowd 26k

others are
Turnover £52m
Gate receipts £10m
Wage bill £48m
Net assets + £16m

WE may one day get there but currently we are not

The return of JLR manufacturing & supply chain to Whitley/Baginton may help. Give it 5 years.

* Note I am not referring to direct sponsorship but to a more indirect flow of cash to the City workforce which in turn will flow towards leisure activities e.g. Football

Last edited:

Brylowes

Don't forget that the midlands' population is huge compared to Norfolk. I think it is more a rural vs urban attitude thing that goes on myself

...onwards & upwards PUSB
It is probably Midlands 5.5 million. Norfolk 700.000.
Far more to do in Norwich though

Gazolba

What does it matter to JM how Coventry compares to Norwich? His wallet will be a lot fatter. A footballer's career lasts only about 15 years.

Users who are viewing this thread