Progressing his Career? (1 Viewer)

covboy1987

Comments about James Maddison such as 'progressing his career with Norwich' and 'didn't want to deny the player a chance to play in the premier league' etc lets get another sensible angle - Norwich fan base is no bigger than Coventry and is not a bigger club- Norwich more than likely will be playing in the championship next season as they haven't really done in anything in the transfer window and are dangerously close to drop -you would have a better bet at the bookies in actually Coventry playing Norwich next season in the championship - reality says that the Norwich manager may not even be at Norwich when James pulls a shirt on at the end of the season and the new manager may not like James Maddison?
Spurs, Liverpool, yes massive potential progression in career but Norwich (and nothing against them) sorry should have stayed with us till the big boys came seriously looking and paid us serious money

ajsccfc

At worst, Norwich are a yo-yo team between the Premier League and Championship. Whatever their fanbase may be or whatever criteria people apply to big club status, that's better than we've had for 15 years. Whether it's a good move for him certainly remains to be seen, but Norwich City are in a better position than Coventry City in nearly every way.

lewys33

What about oppurtunity to play at a higher level?

He is on higher wages that he was on our books and he has a better chance of playing prem football for norwich than he does for liverpool/tottenham currently.

I know it's not what we wanted (I was really angry) last night, but thinking about it more I think it is probably a decent move for him. Good luck to him (when he finally leaves).

covboy1987

At worst, Norwich are a yo-yo team between the Premier League and Championship. Whatever their fanbase may be or whatever criteria people apply to big club status, that's better than we've had for 15 years. Whether it's a good move for him certainly remains to be seen, but Norwich City are in a better position than Coventry City in nearly every way.

Have to disagree about the 'better than we have had for 15 years' as Norwich were in our league in only 2010

matesx

Norwich are a bigger club than us......right now.

Which is all that matters.

JimmyHillsbeard

lets get another sensible angle - Norwich fan base is no bigger than Coventry and is not a bigger club- Norwich more than likely will be playing in the championship next season as they haven't really done in anything in the transfer window and are dangerously close to drop -

Look I'm seriously pissed off abt this but you need to check your assertions.

Norwich's fan base is way bigger and more loyal than ours - look at their crowds whenever they've been in the championship or even the year they spent in league one. They've been in the premier league for three spells since we were relegated in 2001 and they *have* done an absolute shed load of business in the transfer window (more than any other premier club I think).

Captain Dart

Apparently the food's good at Norwich. :p

Moff

Norwich have had a far firmer base than us in terms of infrastructure for years, however.

Lets face it, apart from clogging the roads up with their tractors, there is little else to do in Norwich apart from watching the football, so of course the fanbase is a little stronger ;)

idm1975

Lets face it, apart from clogging the roads up with their tractors, there is little else to do in Norwich apart from watching the football, so of course the fanbase is a little stronger ;)
They are all related, its one big family get together.

henry the wasp

22,000 season ticket holders aswell. They averaged 24,000 in lge1.
Maybe we could have told little old Norwich to do one, if we had those kind of figures.?

malkitccfc

They only get fans because theres no other teams in the area. Good move for him though, unless they go down and we go up and play them first game of next season.

MalcSB

The bit I found odd is Maddison's statement that Norwich are club heading in the right direction. Really?

dynamoholbrooks

At least the lad will probably get a game or two and find himself on the pitch. He wouldn't progress his career being in a Spurs or Liverpool third team. Good luck to him but it's still a hell of a shame.

ajsccfc

They're a club in the Premier League who have just strengthened considerably in an attempt to stay there, that seems like a decent direction.

Gazolba

[h=2]Progressing his Career?[/h]

It's not about 'progressing his career', it's about fattening his (and his agent's) wallet. A footballer's career is pretty much finished by 35, so you have to grab it while you can.

Gazolba

Norwich more than likely will be playing in the championship next season as they haven't really done in anything in the transfer window and are dangerously close to drop -you would have a better bet at the bookies in actually Coventry playing Norwich next season in the championship - reality says that the Norwich manager may not even be at Norwich when James pulls a shirt on at the end of the season and the new manager may not like James Maddison?
<snip>

All true, but they have secured an asset that is worth money. They will eventually sell him and make more money from him than CCFC did.

SkyblueBazza

What about oppurtunity to play at a higher level?

He is on higher wages that he was on our books and he has a better chance of playing prem football for norwich than he does for liverpool/tottenham currently.

I know it's not what we wanted (I was really angry) last night, but thinking about it more I think it is probably a decent move for him. Good luck to him (when he finally leaves).
And is likely to get more games for Norwich than at Liverpool/Spurs etc

Hence this move aids his development

...onwards & upwards PUSB

SkyblueBazza

The bit I found odd is Maddison's statement that Norwich are club heading in the right direction. Really?
For HIS development they are moving in the right direction. A season in the Championship winning promotion will do him him the world of good.

stevefloyd

If I could fatten my wallet I wouldn't give a second thought... young lad and I am saying lets assume he was on around £2000 a week here 100k a year good money and then someone comes in and says you can earn £1500 a week or more depending on appearances would you turn it down...fuck no

Nick

Administrator
If I could fatten my wallet I wouldn't give a second thought... young lad and I am saying lets assume he was on around £2000 a week here 100k a year good money and then someone comes in and says you can earn £1500 a week or more depending on appearances would you turn it down...fuck no

Turn down a pay cut?

skyblue1991

This thread smacks of envy.

1. Norwich have an extremely loyal fanbase
2. They are a Premier League side and will continue to be there or challenging for there for the next 5 years
3. Nohing to to do in Norwich, there's more to do in Coventry then?
4. I think they will stay up, though only just about
5. JM will very likely being Premier League football for them if they stay up

Good luck to the lad. Disappointed about timing but I think Maddison has made the right decision

Sick Boy

The OP is massively deluded and Norwich have a such larger core fanbase than us. What were their attendances in league 1?

SkyblueBazza

The OP is massively deluded and Norwich have a such larger core fanbase than us. What were their attendances in league 1?
Plus...the Prem/Championship is a much better level to develop further. Norwich - he will get the chance to showcase his talents and prove he can step up to the mark...this attracting the attentions of the really big clubs

Grendel

Double ours. They've also been in the top three in the premier league have competed in Europe and currently have 22,000 season ticket holders.

Still compared to us they are nobodies.

87mint

it's basically a brilliant move for him. What's the worst that could happen? They get relegated and then instead of being on the edge of the team he goes straight into the first xi of a team who are favourites for promotion from the championship playing in front of 20k season ticket holders every week. It's a better move than Wilson's was at the time and I didn't see half the abuse for him. I love the lad to bits. He's been nothing but superb every time I have seen him in a Cov shirt and even though he has been snatched away far, far sooner than i ever imagined, I'm sure we'll all remember him for what he was: maybe the most naturally gifted player ever to wear a Coventry shirt, at least in my short lifetime. I've never seen him give anything less than 100% and i don't doubt at all that, as Mowbray said, he was instrumental in insuring that he secured a loan deal back here so that he could help out all his mates, and the ungrateful Cov masses.
Good luck Madz - you're welcome back any time.

ccfcway

this

no_loyalty

Maddison only went to Norwich because Murphy said he'd room with him next season

Users who are viewing this thread