Pro-Thorn Hypocrites (1 Viewer)

Gaz

So where did it go wrong for Reid, Adams, Dowie, Coleman and Boothroyd then ?

Gordon Strachan was a novice and we got relegated under his management.

Andy Thorn was a novice and we got relegated under his management.

There obviously isn't any guarantees that it will work with an experienced manager, but IMO we desperately need a Billy Davis / Mad Mick type of manager, and not a Richard Shaw or Lee Carsley type.

Last edited:

Lord_Nampil

So where did it go wrong for Reid, Adams, Dowie, Coleman and Boothroyd then ?

Boothroyd was easy a miscalculation in the budget caused a miss payment to Bolton and a transfer embargo that he wasn't told about! When he needed reinforcements to get us in the promotion picture we couldn't bring any one in!!! If he had of strengthened then we could have gone places maybe?? People say his football was this that and the other, but being 5th at Christmas seems a million miles away from where we are now and that was only 2 seasons ago!!!

Ccfcisparks

So many of those types of managers were snapped up in the summer or slightly before: Dave Jones, Sean O'Driscoll, Simon Grayson!

theprince

I agree those managers mentioned were better than Thorn, who just wasn't good enough, doesn't mean Shaw isn't good enough or is good enough, we don't know. The big problem Shaw has is he is already here and is caretaker, players can make or break a manager and there will be players here who know their days are numbered if Shaw gets the job and will respond accordingly. Any new manager has the " they are not my players" syndrome to sort out. I just know for an absolute fact had Richard Shaw still been at Millwall as assistant and applied for this job there would be a massive clamour to hire him due to his Sky Blue background, thats how fickle fans are.

Sick Boy

Boothroyd was easy a miscalculation in the budget caused a miss payment to Bolton and a transfer embargo that he wasn't told about! When he needed reinforcements to get us in the promotion picture we couldn't bring any one in!!! If he had of strengthened then we could have gone places maybe?? People say his football was this that and the other, but being 5th at Christmas seems a million miles away from where we are now and that was only 2 seasons ago!!!

Exactly. The same people demanding chance after chance were nowhere to be seen when Boothroyd was working under a transfer embargo, and unable to reinforce after suffering injuries to the squad. If Thorn deserved all of this chances, then Boothroyd certainly did as well. Thorn could only dream of having the managerial career that Boothroyd has had.

Mucca Mad Boys

Gordon Strachan was a novice and we got relegated under his management.

Andy Thorn was a novice and we got relegated under his management.

There obviously isn't any guarantees that it will work with an experienced manager, but IMO we desperately need a Billy Davis / Mad Mick type of manager, and not a Richard Shaw or Lee Carsley type.

It's all good saying we need a Billy Davies or Redknapp but what people are missing is, they won't to come to us, you have to find these types of manager. I could give a critea that would guarantee a return to the premiership, but finding a manager who fits that is another thing altogether.

Thing is with strict managers, a lot of them make an instant impact then as their rein continues, players start to hate the strictness and lose the dressing room. (Before anyone says, I'm saying a LOT of them fail, not all!)

ajsccfc

Thorn's gone, and you're still trying to compartmentalise people for an argument. You're an idiot.

theprince

Really what needs to happen is the club gets sorted out, we can dream. Whoever takes the managers job is restricted massively to what he can do. Getting us playing better is the obvious one and that should happen regardless but without being able to change playing personel, bring his own in, including coaches he will struggle IMO. High profile ones such as mad Mick and Davies to name just a couple would never work under these sisu restrictions and lets not forget all our managers since and including Peter Reid (which was before sisu) have had massive financial restrictions to work under.

Gaz

It's all good saying we need a Billy Davies or Redknapp but what people are missing is, they won't to come to us, you have to find these types of manager. I could give a critea that would guarantee a return to the premiership, but finding a manager who fits that is another thing altogether.

Thing is with strict managers, a lot of them make an instant impact then as their rein continues, players start to hate the strictness and lose the dressing room. (Before anyone says, I'm saying a LOT of them fail, not all!)

I never said they would come to us, I said we need that type of manager.
My point is that we are not in a position to just 'let Shaw or Carsley have a go' as some on here have wanted.

Sick Boy

The thing that I am confused about, we have signed 9 (?) players over the summer, and the squad is already being described as needing a kick up the arse. They have only just got here, they shouldn't be lacking in hunger or motivation to do well for the team!

It wasn't so long ago that people were claiming that we were going to 'smash' teams in this league and that we had a squad which could be worthy for the Championship. Maybe they aren't actually as good as people were claiming.

Grendel

The thing that I am confused about, we have signed 9 (?) players over the summer, and the squad is already being described as needing a kick up the arse. They have only just got here, they shouldn't be lacking in hunger or motivation to do well for the team!

It wasn't so long ago that people were claiming that we were going to 'smash' teams in this league and that we had a squad which could be worthy for the Championship. Maybe they aren't actually as good as people were claiming.

They arn't as good. At least 5 look suspect. The new manager will have a massive job on his hands. The claims McDonald will score lots of goals also looks debatable.

stupot07

It wasn't so long ago that people were claiming that we were going to 'smash' teams in this league and that we had a squad which could be worthy for the Championship.[/b] Maybe they aren't actually as good as people were claiming.[/b]

I said this before we'd even kicked a ball this season

stupot07

What would these fans attitude be if a complete novice got the job, say Dion Dublin for example. [/b]All the great managers of the past started somewhere usually in the lower divisions, [/b]Brian Clough for example at Hartlepool, aged about 30. Fans have to get real as to where we are, we are in the third division towards the bottom. Might be a "big" name going back some years means feck all at this moment in time.

And that is exactly what we are now - a lower league team

Sick Boy

They arn't as good. At least 5 look suspect. The new manager will have a massive job on his hands. The claims McDonald will score lots of goals also looks debatable.

Wasn't it 30+ goals this season?

So much for the 'Thorn's Final Gift' thread....;)

Funny how 'gaz' is now claiming we can't afford to let Shaw or Carsley have the job because they are novices, maybe he has learnt a lesson.

Gaz

Wasn't it 30+ goals this season?

So much for the 'Thorn's Final Gift' thread....;)

Funny how 'gaz' is now claiming we can't afford to let Shaw or Carsley have the job because they are novices, maybe he has learnt a lesson.

Funny how you can't drop you're infatuation with Thorn isn't it :wave:

Sick Boy

Funny how you can't drop you're infatuation with Thorn isn't it :wave:

I see yours seems to have suddenly disappeared. ;)

I was just joining in the discussion, I didn't start the thread. It's always fun to get a few nibbles though.

theprince

The facts are we have replaced the like of Keogh, Cranie and Clingan aswell as Deegan with the two frenchmen, this Jennings and Barton. We were atleast the third worst team in the league last yeatr with those three better players and IMO replaced them with players where it is debatable if they would ever be championship quality.

Sick Boy

Cranie, Clingan & Deegan were dismissed by a lot of people on here as being not good enough. There were claims we had lost the best defender in the Championship in Keogh though.

The new signings were being widely lauded, despite most people never even seeing them play.

Gaz

I see yours seems to have suddenly disappeared. ;)

I was just joining in the discussion, I didn't start the thread. It's always fun to get a few nibbles though.

Here to get a few nibbles ? :facepalm:

Sums you up really doesn't it.

Grendel

I said this before we'd even kicked a ball this season

You did. The problem for a new manager is that some still think they are superior and will expect instant turnaround which will take huge skill and effort and a lot of luck.

theprince

You did. The problem for a new manager is that some still think they are superior and will expect instant turnaround which will take huge skill and effort and a lot of luck.
It will and even if a new manager gets a flying start we will soon come own again. The league doesn't lie and if players are not good enough it wil soon show. Any new manager should be able to bring in 3 or4 of his choice of players a.s.a.p. Our new manager not even allowed to bring in his own coach or assistant.

Users who are viewing this thread