Pre Season Gallery / Greg Moorhouse on Trial (1 Viewer)

mark82

Could understand your point if they'd ploughed in and bought someone on that basis.

Cavan O'Doherty

We've had signings that don't work out who haven't been on trial too.
Yes I know but you would think that most of them had been watched by the manager or a scout of some sort. Just don't think you can waste time looking at someone who you haven't watched in a game situation, and have just watched a video of his best moments.

oucho

To my knowledge, no-one said he was not good enough!
He scored 11 from 17 for Glenavon in the Irish Premier League, which has to be on a par with L2, so he's a proven goal-scorer.
On a par with Conference North more like. The Nl league is a bit like the Welsh Premier. Worthy but not a high standard.

rupert_bear

Been here before so many times player after player on trial never get signed are they not good enough,?too costly?
Oh a youngster who plays for Cov United, Ison is his sir name think his first name is Callum has just signed pro forms for Bristol Rovers a league higher than us, centre back too. Perhaps not good enough for us !

RoboCCFC90

I think we need to be realistic here, fans only saw 45-ish mins of Moorehouse in game time, Mark Robins saw three weeks of the lad and has deemed him not worthy of a contract. I trust MR's judgement.

SlowerThanPlatt

Been here before so many times player after player on trial never get signed are they not good enough,?too costly?
Oh a youngster who plays for Cov United, Ison is his sir name think his first name is Callum has just signed pro forms for Bristol Rovers a league higher than us, centre back too. Perhaps not good enough for us !
It's Lewis isn't it?

Astute

The squad is pretty good, but we definitely need 3 or 4 more bodies in otherwise I will be worried.
If you are worried about our squad you would feel suicidal if you supported most of the other clubs in our division.

Nick

Administrator
That Yeovil squad is with them having 9 leaving and 8 in.

So it isn't as if they have lost loads but not brought any in.

This is excluding loans also, so they could potentially make the numbers up with a few loans by the start of the season.

RoboCCFC90

League Two 17/18

Sort it by squad numbers. We have double Accrington Stanley and Yeovil.

I think by now you would hope we have two players covered for each position, that will push for the first team, so;

GK - Burge, O'Brien
RB - Grimmer, Dion KE
CB - Willis, Turnbull(?)
CB - McDonald, Hyam
LB - Stokes, Haynes
LCM - Doyle, Stevenson
RCM - Kelly, Shipley(?), Maycock(?)
LW - Jones, Reid(?)
RW - Vincenti, Devon KE(?)
CAM - McNulty, George Thomas(?)
ST - Beavon, Biamou, Kwame Thomas, Ponticelli

To me that is the strongest squad, but there are question marks over players who's future's are undecided or have to feature heavily for the first team and remain untested.

If Reid and Turnbull don't leave then I can see them being utilised, same with George Thomas (if by some miracle he was to sign a new deal), but I would fell more comfortable with two more signings, on in CM and one man who can play behind the striker or on the wing.

Nick

Administrator
I think the players who "could" go are:

Reid
Turnbull
Willis
RCC

G Thomas is as good as gone.

I'd be surprised if people wanted to buy anybody else.

Astute

I think by now you would hope we have two players covered for each position, that will push for the first team
5 teams only have 22 players in their squad. So they will be lucky to have 2 players for every position. Another 7 clubs have less than 22 players.

It is a long season. Some are in trouble before they start. Yes they can bring in more players if they can afford them. But just about all the better players have already been signed.

They can still sign some loans. But the better players will go to the better clubs.

Yes we will be relying on young players at times. But some of them could even get into the 1st team squad on merit. Some of them have experience at a higher level.

Yes we have things that could be better. But show me one club that is all round better off than us.

RoboCCFC90

5 teams only have 22 players in their squad. So they will be lucky to have 2 players for every position. Another 7 clubs have less than 22 players.

It is a long season. Some are in trouble before they start. Yes they can bring in more players if they can afford them. But just about all the better players have already been signed.

They can still sign some loans. But the better players will go to the better clubs.

Yes we will be relying on young players at times. But some of them could even get into the 1st team squad on merit. Some of them have experience at a higher level.

Yes we have things that could be better. But show me one club that is all round better off than us.

I don't disagree with you Astute, I would be inclined to give the youngsters a chance as opposed to going out and splashing money, where it could be better utilised.

I actually think our squad looks strong, but depending on movement out of the Club we may need one or two extra.

Astute

I don't disagree with you Astute, I would be inclined to give the youngsters a chance as opposed to going out and splashing money, where it could be better utilised.

I actually think our squad looks strong, but depending on movement out of the Club we may need one or two extra.
We have 34 players in our squad. It is the biggest squad. There is only 4 other squads of over 25 players. The average amount of players per squad is 23.5.

We don't need to keep the numbers up for everyone who leaves. It is quality that is needed. A proven goalscorer would be a top priority for me.

covcity4life

34 on paper,in reality to play a part in league 2 i would say

gk:rcc,burge,obrien - 3
LB -stokes,haynes,camwell -3
RB - DKE, Grimmer - 2
CB - Willis,Turnbull,Macdonald - 3
CM - Doyle, Kelly,Stevenson,Maycock,Shipley - 5
Attack Mid/Wingers - Jones,Reid,Vicente,G Thomas,DevonKE,Finn - 6
Strikers - Mcnulty,Biamou,Beavon,K Thomas, Ponticelli -5

(not sure leahy will play a part in l2 matches)

27 man squad for me. numbers wise thats fine but i think MR would like to add 1-2 more players with quality at CB and AM

mark82

34 on paper,in reality to play a part in league 2 i would say

gk:rcc,burge,obrien - 3
LB -stokes,haynes,camwell -3
RB - DKE, Grimmer - 2
CB - Willis,Turnbull,Macdonald - 3
CM - Doyle, Kelly,Stevenson,Maycock,Shipley - 5
Attack Mid/Wingers - Jones,Reid,Vicente,G Thomas,DevonKE,Finn - 6
Strikers - Mcnulty,Biamou,Beavon,K Thomas, Ponticelli -5

(not sure leahy will play a part in l2 matches)

27 man squad for me. numbers wise thats fine but i think MR would like to add 1-2 more players with quality at CB and AM

Missed Hyam at CB. If Turnbull stays think we are done at the back. I think we add a striker and another midfielder. If Turnbull goes will be another defender too.

fernandopartridge

The most successful sides generally only use about 18-20 players, so it's not the size of the squad necessarily, it's more about the quality of the best 18-20 players with good discipline so as not to lose players through unnecessary suspension. Add in some luck with injuries and you've got yourself promotion contenders.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

If you are worried about our squad you would feel suicidal if you supported most of the other clubs in our division.

Some people certainly do need a reality check.

Calm down brother.

I'm merely saying, knowing our injury tendencies, it would be nice to have a few extra bodies in. Maybe it is not the norm of League 2 (I know that), but in theory we should have one of the better budgets, especially as and when Thomas is sold.

There isn't any reason why that isn't achievable, and it would improve our chances at promotion I'm sure.

We can't fuck up this season.

ccfchoi87

Our squad isn't that great. League 2 has strengthened in general I believe. It was a very close league last year and those teams around the playoffs have made some good signings.

Astute

Calm down brother.

I'm merely saying, knowing our injury tendencies, it would be nice to have a few extra bodies in. Maybe it is not the norm of League 2 (I know that), but in theory we should have one of the better budgets, especially as and when Thomas is sold.

There isn't any reason why that isn't achievable, and it would improve our chances at promotion I'm sure.

We can't fuck up this season.
I am very calm.

We presently have the biggest squad. As long as we don't lose anyone from the planned 1st team they won't have to be replaced. We haven't got the biggest budget so the more players we sign the less we can pay in wages per player on an average to teams we are expected to be competing with at the top of the table.

Astute

Our squad isn't that great. League 2 has strengthened in general I believe. It was a very close league last year and those teams around the playoffs have made some good signings.
I think Mansfield, Notts County, Lincoln and Luton will be near the top of the table with us. Who else has a squad you could fear in any way?

ccfchoi87

I think Mansfield, Notts County, Lincoln and Luton will be near the top of the table with us. Who else has a squad you could fear in any way?

Chesterfield, Swindon, Cheltenham, Exeter, Carlisle, Wycombe, Cambridge. I actually think forest green could be a good outside bet of making the playoffs. Grimsby and Stevenage look okay too but I wouldn't be worried about them

Users who are viewing this thread