Pre Season 22/23 (1 Viewer)

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Sevilla was hardly a challenging team in anything but name given it was what, the second pre-season game? It really doesn't matter at all who we play.

I don't really see why it is so much of a problem for someone to want us to play an exciting team in pre-season. Yes, these games don't really mean anything, but it is just about the only time you can play any team from any league. Might was well organise something cool and galvanize the fans interest.

KenilworthSkyBlue

I don't really see why it is so much of a problem for someone to want us to play an exciting team in pre-season. Yes, these games don't really mean anything, but it is just about the only time you can play any team from any league. Might was well organise something cool and galvanize the fans interest.

In the grand scheme of things I doubt Robins particularly cares if the fixtures are exciting or not, as I'd imagine his view would be that the sole purpose of pre-season fixtures at our level isn't to galvanise the interest of fans, it's to ensure the fitness levels of the squad are where they need to be once the season kicks off.

Commercially it probably would make sense if we could try to host a Liverpool/Man City at the CBS though. But that's really up to the club to be proactive with that.

SBAndy

In the grand scheme of things I doubt Robins particularly cares if the fixtures are exciting or not, as I'd imagine his view would be that the sole purpose of pre-season fixtures at our level isn't to galvanise the interest of fans, it's to ensure the fitness levels of the squad are where they need to be once the season kicks off.

Commercially it probably would make sense if we could try to host a Liverpool/Man City at the CBS though. But that's really up to the club to be proactive with that.

Think teams like Liverpool or City would demand quite a fee to come and play us. Certainly worthwhile having a bit of a flagship home friendly as part of pre-season though (albeit the mechanics of that this year are an issue). Helps to generate a bit of a buzz and, as has been said, an opportunity to play someone a bit different.

skybluegod

Think teams like Liverpool or City would demand quite a fee to come and play us. Certainly worthwhile having a bit of a flagship home friendly as part of pre-season though (albeit the mechanics of that this year are an issue). Helps to generate a bit of a buzz and, as has been said, an opportunity to play someone a bit different.

Considering the tour pre-season friendly hasn't been announced isn't there still time for this anyway?
I have never attended a pre-season game based on who we are playing, fair enough if that is something that might entice them but for me I would think the most exciting part of pre-season for many is seeing the new players. Only have to look at the excitement of many when we have had trialists in years gone by!

KenilworthSkyBlue

Liverpool have consistently played against lower league sides in their domestic pre-season games pre-pandemic. I doubt Bradford City for instance paid Liverpool a significant fee to come play against them in 2019.

But that being said, if you look at Liverpool's previous pre-season games especially, a lot of their other domestic fixtures that they've played in the past have been relatively regional or local clubs. So if anything that would be what would rule us out. Most of the other top clubs such as Man City mainly utilise pre-season in a commercial capacity anyway which again would rule us out.

long way home

At the start Its all about getting minutes into the players legs, blending new signings in and getting the younger players used to the 1st team environment. As they go further in weeks the games will step up in quality and coaches will be working on patterns of play while all the time trying to create a cohesive unit everyday during pre season.

From Start to finish they will be evaluating players levels and pushing everyone to get the maximum out of each player. The level of opposition doesnt really matter or the results, im sure they will want to win all but thats not the importance of playing them. MR knows what his players can do against the level of opposition we will face in the season. MR will want to end pre season with no major injuries and with a group of players that understand and are ready to forfill the expectation set for the season.

I dont care who we play aslong as a full squad of players are ready to go at it from the 1st whistle of the new season. In the big picture thats all that matters as nobody will talking about results, performances or standard of opposition of our preseason once that 1st league game starts

Last edited:

SlowerThanPlatt

From the Shrewsbury site:

Shrewsbury Town can confirm the first team will travel to Spain on July 2nd and return on July 9th. This will be a pre-season camp for the squad near Valencia on the eastern coast of the country.

Sky Blue Harry H

You mean doesn't count ....

The club's website referring to this game encourages people to use their own ID number so that away day day attendance records are accurate (that would suggest that this will count towards an individual's points total?) Apologies if I've misunderstood this/you?

WGABSOOS

The club's website referring to this game encourages people to use their own ID number so that away day day attendance records are accurate (that would suggest that this will count towards an individual's points total?) Apologies if I've misunderstood this/you?
The article literally says it doesn't count to any away day priority scheme.

The away ticket priority scheme will be introduced for 2022/23 league and cup fixtures, and will not be in place for this friendly game.

Sky Blue Harry H

The article literally says it doesn't count to any away day priority scheme.

The away ticket priority scheme will be introduced for 2022/23 league and cup fixtures, and will not be in place for this friendly game.

OK - I'm going to be a pedant now. You are correct that the priority is not in place for this game; however, further down the article you will find

Fans are encouraged when buying to assign tickets to individual supporter numbers, so that we have a more complete record of your attendance at away games.

This implies that attendance at this game will be added to your records, so may well count towards obtaining tickets for future games.

ccfc1234

OK - I'm going to be a pedant now. You are correct that the priority is not in place for this game; however, further down the article you will find

Fans are encouraged when buying to assign tickets to individual supporter numbers, so that we have a more complete record of your attendance at away games.

This implies that attendance at this game will be added to your records, so may well count towards obtaining tickets for future games.
That will boost numbers! How many do we think for the Leamington game? Does anyone know if they have seats for old and young fans who can't stand for 90 mins.

maxp

That will boost numbers! How many do we think for the Leamington game? Does anyone know if they have seats for old and young fans who can't stand for 90 mins.
Yes, 508 seats at Leamington first come first serve. Leamington confirmed a few things: game is all ticket bit.ly/CovTicketsLeam and they are putting on a free shuttle double decker service from Leam train station to the ground. They are expecting a big attendance and want to beat their record of 2102 at their current ground. Presume like seasons before as well they'll have a open air fan zone selling beer on the terraces at the top of the ground.

Would be nice for Leam, especially after CCFC let them down last year!

WGABSOOS

Forest Green site confirms we are playing them in July but behind closed doors at the training ground

Hutch11

Really hope its at Pinatar , I'm in Torre for a fortnight on Saturday so I'll be able to get down and have a gander

AOM

Back in training today

I noticed Matty Godden is still on holiday (according to Instagram). Assume he's still injured?

Users who are viewing this thread