Potentially does not bode well (1 Viewer)

Liquid Gold

Are clubs going to be expected to return all TV and ticket money? Why should they be paid for something that didn't happen. Luckily the Peterborough bloke is very adamant the season will finish.

Liquid Gold

I don't want to just be promoted without the games either, we can't just turn up in the Championship and carry on. What's the point of promotion if you don't get to get on the pitch and celebrate with the players, have a massive party with all the other fans and listen to the manager's speech.

tigersb

If they void the league will ST holders get refunds for games not played?
If they dont then good luck selling them for next season whenever that is

Marty

I can't see them completing this season or starting the next one this year. Hopefully we'll be back to normal life by Christmas, pre season January, then restart February.

The only other option is to complete games behind closed doors, test every player before every game, if they have the virus, they're suspended for 14 days, no postponements, if you can't field a team you forfeit the game.

Warwickhunt

That takes the piss

I think I'll be done with football if they void our season and I hope club owners take them for all they have.

What about Barrow! we need them to come up to the football league 2 and second to balance our leagues out.

Astute

What about Barrow! we need them to come up to the football league 2 and second to balance our leagues out.
My middle name has always been Unlucky.

My team is CCFC. My local club is Barrow.

Otis

Yup, how on earth is this going to work?

If the FA and EFL now write the rest of the season off (not void it), how can we have promotions and relegations? No-one would be coming up to League Two from non-league due to the National League decision, so how can you have teams going up from League Two to League One?

There is a knock-on effect to be had.

better days

There are myriad reasons why I think the pro leagues will find a way to complete the season
First the TV contracts. Sky, BT and the BBC are all desperate to get some live content to show
The clubs are desperate for the money those games will bring
And all of us stuck at home want something that will give us a distraction and a bit of hope that things won't stay as they are forever
That's before considering legal action by clubs who feel they are hard done by
Maybe behind closed doors but I suspect once tests are more freely available and all participants can be tested in advance it's entirely possible and very desirable

mark82

Yup, how on earth is this going to work?

If the FA and EFL now write the rest of the season off (not void it), how can we have promotions and relegations? No-one would be coming up to League Two from non-league due to the National League decision, so how can you have teams going up from League Two to League One?

There is a knock-on effect to be had.

The National League hasn't been voided yet. Guessing it won't as similar to EFL and PL it has a TV deal.

Feel really sorry for the teams that were guaranteed or very close to promotion. This decision stinks, and there's no need to take it yet. What if we can't resume until the new year? What do they do then?

Mcbean

I think it’s to do with employees and wages ? which at the lowest level would kill these clubs unless they stop - some of the top clubs players taking pay cuts so the staff can be paid

skybluesam66

I can see limited crowds being allowed initially with rules to maintain distancing

maybe 2-3 thousand spread around stadiums with no away support

standupforcity

The important thing is to get the season done! We can follow on iFollow...surely a deal could be done to video all games and secure some sort of income there?!

shmmeee

Sit down prices, in view of the fact we are all social distancing.

And as the government are paying us not to go to work, maybe they will pay us all not to attend?

Speak for yourself, no one is paying me not to work. Grumble grumble.

Brighton Sky Blue

Sit down prices, in view of the fact we are all social distancing.

And as the government are paying us not to go to work, maybe they will pay us all not to attend?

Think we'll all need to chip in for Godden's next haircut

Adge

Realistically how is football going to still be played? Why is it when it comes to football (the sport we all love) people think that there is different rules that can be applied? It’s as if football is the be all and end all and is above/against the guidelines we all have/are having too adhere too?

mark82

Realistically how is football going to still be played? Why is it when it comes to football (the sport we all love) people think that there is different rules that can be applied? It’s as if football is the be all and end all and is above/against the guidelines we all have/are having too adhere too?

But it doesn't have to be voided now and results expunged. There are teams impacted who had already secured promotion. They had already won their leagues and have had that taken away. That isn't fair. We don't know when games can be restarted, it's not a huge stretch to think they won't be able to play until early next year.

Either way, if you're going to finish early at a point teams have already secured promotion then you do it in a way where those results stand.

mark82

Plus they've said a few lines in that they all agree with the decision for football to be indefinitely suspended, so I'm not sure where you get the idea they don't want to stick to the guidelines. There is no official guideline saying they must void all results.

Adge

Plus they've said a few lines in that they all agree with the decision for football to be indefinitely suspended, so I'm not sure where you get the idea they don't want to stick to the guidelines. There is no official guideline saying they must void all results.
The ideas were/are already being thrown around about the outcome of respective leagues etc regardless of the current/ongoing situation.
The point being is let’s get this once in a lifetime “situation” over with first and foremost and then concrete plans can be put in place not only for football to conclude, but other sports too instead of Tom Dick and Harry throwing their two penneth in.

Last edited:

Gazolba

I can't see them completing this season or starting the next one this year. Hopefully we'll be back to normal life by Christmas, pre season January, then restart February.

The only other option is to complete games behind closed doors, test every player before every game, if they have the virus, they're suspended for 14 days, no postponements, if you can't field a team you forfeit the game.
Assuming they've shared the dressing room, if one player tests positive, the entire team would have to be quarantined.
You'd have to test the officials and the ball boys too.
What happens if the ref tests positive?

Gazolba

The ideas were/are already being thrown around about the outcome of respective leagues etc regardless of the current/ongoing situation.
The point being is let’s get this once in a lifetime “situation” over with first and foremost and then concrete plans can be put in place not only for football to conclude, not only football but other sports too instead of Tom Dick and Harry throwing their two penneth in.
It's not necessarily 'once in a lifetime'. It could happen again. The flu comes around every winter.

SkyblueBri

I've said this before there is a precedent. Use the Chilian alternative so no one can sue, just get more relegation places next season. So could end season now.

Users who are viewing this thread