Positives thread (1 Viewer)

Liquid Gold

In our 12 games, we’ve played most of the top 8. By all accounts, we’ve had a disproportionately difficult start.

Today was a decent result considering our run, but we’ve got fixtures coming up that we need points from if we’re to for be ourselves a chance of survival.
Agree, I hoped we’d pick up a few more points but we haven’t. At least we’re not in the bottom three. A shit load of pressure on these games now though.

lifeskyblue

Worst we have played and got a point.
Yes brum were avg at best and had the better chances but we hung in there. I will take that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brighton Sky Blue

That's the issue though. We were playing well but the mistakes were costing us two goals per game. It was non-sensical to continue utilising it game after game, especially against teams who are serious threats going forward - refer to Bournemouth/Watford/Brentford.

You're not a bed wetter if you express concern now. But I think we all have to accept that it's going to be a rough ride this season. I'd be astounded if we were anywhere near mid-table by the end of the season, let by alone Christmas.

We made the same individual mistakes in this game as well, we just got away with it. Passes going astray at the back, players losing their markers in the box, and relying on the lone striker to work miracles. We only played 5-3-2 against Watford out of the games you describe and really ought to have won if not at least drawn. In fact every game it's been used in we've either won or should have won and were keeping a clean sheet at HT in 3 out of the 4.

Robins got the call wrong imo and it's another opportunity missed.

87 n all that

We made the same individual mistakes in this game as well, we just got away with it. Passes going astray at the back, players losing their markers in the box, and relying on the lone striker to work miracles. We only played 5-3-2 against Watford out of the games you describe and really ought to have won if not at least drawn. In fact every game it's been used in we've either won or should have won and were keeping a clean sheet at HT in 3 out of the 4.

Robins got the call wrong imo and it's another opportunity missed.
Very true. The passing out from the back takes too long and will lead to costly mistakes. It was a slippery pitch tonight as well so getting it out of defence quicker and into midfield would have sufficed but then they lose the ball anyway.

I’m not really one for stats but sky put one on towards the end of the first half about how many times players had touched the ball the most and it was our defence (except Dabo) and Kelly. Sums it up really. Looked better with 3 at the back and 2 strikers in terms of applying pressure in their half (looking more like we can create something) but still amounted to shit.

Walsgrave

One thing that has been overlooked is that we've shown tonight that we can play with 4 at the back and be reasonably solid. Granted, there were times in the first half where I thought our out-from-the-back style would cost us.

Could be something to consider going forward. I still think we'll stick with 3 at the back, but 4 defenders with a nice, compact midfield offering plenty of defensive cover (as it did for the first half of the game) is not a bad option.

Brighton Sky Blue

One thing that has been overlooked is that we've shown tonight that we can play with 4 at the back and be reasonably solid. Granted, there were times in the first half where I thought our out-from-the-back style would cost us.

Could be something to consider going forward. I still think we'll stick with 3 at the back, but 4 defenders with a nice, compact midfield offering plenty of defensive cover (as it did for the first half of the game) is not a bad option.

I think there's a case to argue for it with 20 minutes left and we're defending a result, but not opening a game against sides we're needing to beat.

Paxman II

I think there's a case to argue for it with 20 minutes left and we're defending a result, but not opening a game against sides we're needing to beat.

Yes but he had to stop the rot while giving vital players some minutes, like Dabo. Had we sneaked it 1 nil, everyone here would have been saying how brilliant he got his tactics. And lets face it Brum were the home side. So its an away point - sort of!

skyblue025

Don't worry lads, after Xmas when all the other teams are flagging after such a short brake between seasons, we will be flying and the fittest team in the league.

Brighton Sky Blue

Yes but he had to stop the rot while giving vital players some minutes, like Dabo. Had we sneaked it 1 nil, everyone here would have been saying how brilliant he got his tactics. And lets face it Brum were the home side. So its an away point - sort of!

I understand the reasoning I just don’t think 5-3-2 is why we have a problem keeping goals out. When you look at the type of goals we’ve conceded I think the vast majority are hideous individual mistakes which you can drill people on in training.

clint van damme

Their payed professional footballers you clown of course they should be doing their jobs

So a paid professional is a paid profesional??
There is no scale of differing abilities?

By your logic a league 2 side should be able to compete with teams at the top of the EPL.

Bit we’re a quarter of the season down already. I’m not trying to be difficult, when do we need to panic because to me I’m worried that we’re already in need of a run of wins to pull away from the relegation group.

I did't think pulling away from the relegation group was the main objective (though it would be nice) I thought we all accepted finishing 4th bottom. Would be enough?

clint van damme

Nah, bed wetter...

It's is possible to be realistic about how poor it's been so Farr and also realistic about how we expect to fair based on the constraints Robins is under.

It's also possible to be a bed wetter who goes on about how poor it is so far and also has a hissy fit because we're not comfortably mid table sat among established championship teams with far bigger budgets.

Adge

By your logic a league 2 side should be able to compete with teams at the top of the EPL.

I did't think pulling away from the relegation group was the main objective (though it would be nice) I thought we all accepted finishing 4th bottom. Would be enough?
The more sensible amongst us knew that this was/is always going to be the aim this season-but for some reason people were making silly predictions of mid table and challenging the playoffs! They might just be waking up now.....

SBAndy

The more sensible amongst us knew that this was/is always going to be the aim this season-but for some reason people were making silly predictions of mid table and challenging the playoffs! They might just be waking up now.....

I think what annoys me most is that we’ve seen we can compete with some decent teams at this level, but chuck in the odd mistake (or more) and we’re much worse off than where we could be. I don’t think lower mid table is beyond our reach at all, but we have to think about what we want from games. Playing for a draw at ‘home’ against a team that are more than likely going to be down there with us just lacks any sort of ambition, though I do understand we need to look to get some clean sheets. The formation and style of play didn’t feel like the problem, yet it was torn up and we played some proper turgid shite last night with 5 CMs on the pitch.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Yeah I’m not getting this. I get being disappointed, I also obviously want to be doing better than we are. But any sane person knew our hopes lay with just trying to stay up. We’re currently doing that. There are reasons to be concerned, I would be worried that Wednesday or derby might put a run together, but by the same token I expect Rotherham or others to go on a shit run. It isn’t as doom and gloom as some are making out. A long way to go yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paxman II

The question is whether he paid all that money to play Walker or not? Godden and Walker up top must surely have been the plan? Godden as the box player while Walker has a more free role. Given that what is the midfield/the team given everyone is fit?
I think we will adjust tactics (3 at the back/5 at the back) according to opposition, but more than not our normal 3 at the back and play it out. We for some reason have not been as compentent with our passing accuracy. And instead of focusing on us entirely what about the opposition? Brum barely posed a threat all game. I think we started extremely well but let them into the game.

Last edited:

Grendel

The question is whether he paid all that money to play Walker or not? Godden and Walker up top must surely have been the plan? Godden as the box player while Walker has a more free role. Given that what is the midfield/the team given everyone is fit?
I think we will adjust tactics (3 at the back/5 at the back) according to opposition, but more than not our normal 3 at the back and play it out. We for some reason have not been as compentent with our passing accuracy. And instead of focusing on us entirely what about the opposition? Brum barely posed a threat all game. I think we started extremely well but let them into the game.

They missed three open goals!

Hobo

Your listing stuff that should be happening anyway hardly positive

So you admit we are reaching certain criteria that needs to happen. Seems positive to me.

Hobo

It's amazing how the moaners always throw in the other side were poor. Well sometimes that is down to how we play.

cc84cov

Birmingham were shit and we still gave them more than enough chances to score. On a good night Juke would have had a hat trick.
My blues pal was over the moon when he seen us set up the way we was he has said we will be ok as we score plenty the defenders will come good and grow to the level he was worried we would run rings round them we played into their hands last night with that set up

Brighton Sky Blue

My blues pal was over the moon when he seen us set up the way we was he has said we will be ok as we score plenty the defenders will come good and grow to the level he was worried we would run rings round them we played into their hands last night with that set up

I agree with him. If we went with 5-3-2 from the off especially with Dabo at RWB I think we win that game.

Users who are viewing this thread