Portsmouth- what on earth (7 Viewers)

skybluedaze

cant see how they will get out of this !

Neither can i. It might not be such a bad thing. Look at AFC Wimbledon. I've no doubt if Pompey do fold, they would be a football league club again within a few years.
AFC Portsmouth maybe? Portsmouth Albion FC possibly?

RichieGunns

Neither can i. It might not be such a bad thing. Look at AFC Wimbledon. I've no doubt if Pompey do fold, they would be a football league club again within a few years.
AFC Portsmouth maybe? Portsmouth Albion FC possibly?

That all depends on the supporters...remember AFC Wimbledon is a supporter owned/run club...

But i think you may be right...

RichieGunns

Cheltonham Town - They lost the league two Playoff final to Crewe Alexandra and therefore would have earned the right to come up if Portsmouth went under.

skybluedaze

That all depends on the supporters...remember AFC Wimbledon is a supporter owned/run club...

But i think you may be right...

I'm assuming the club would be run by the fans. I would hope so else they could end up in the same predicament in the future which would be cruel! Seriously, i hope they manage to survive but i just can't see how they can anymore.

skybluedaze

Cheltonham Town - They lost the league two Playoff final to Crewe Alexandra and therefore would have earned the right to come up if Portsmouth went under.

Cheltenham Town would be the obvious choice. Often the football league prefer to not relegate a club which would favour Wycombe Wanderers. Cheltenham should have won playoff final so they get my vote.

ccfcway

any chance they could punish the championship for letting pompy get into this mess, and re-instate the teams the went down last season :D

skyblueman

Cheltenham Town would be the obvious choice. Often the football league prefer to not relegate a club which would favour Wycombe Wanderers. Cheltenham should have won playoff final so they get my vote.

God Cheltenham..... lived there for a couple of years .. met my wife there... lovely place - always had a soft spot for Cheltenham and would look out for their results every week - not in my wildest dreams did I ever think we would end up in the same league.... depressed :(

chiefdave

could be an error, could be that they've not paid the ticketing company or could be a sign that the administrator is winding things up but apparently all tickets (season tickets and match tickets) are no longer on sale.

RichieGunns

God Cheltenham..... lived there for a couple of years .. met my wife there... lovely place - always had a soft spot for Cheltenham and would look out for their results every week - not in my wildest dreams did I ever think we would end up in the same league.... depressed :(

You know the worst thing. I was having a look at the teams we'll play this season and all I could think was "how did it come to this...Crewe Alexandra?..Yeovil town?..Tranmere Rovers?..bloody hell we've fallen far from the tree".

It was quite a sobering thought lol

ccfcway

Less than 2 years ago I was at a Stevenage v Tamworth game in the conference, spouting to my mate about how Cov were going places with a strike force of King and Juke.

We are now playing Stevenage in the league :(

Grendel

I don't know why that's depressing. Before relegation we have been in the same league as Carlisle, Rotherham, Scunthorpe and many more. It's not that long ago that the mighty Man City only just scraped a play off victory against Gillingham. It is where we deserve to be I'm afraid.

Brighton Sky Blue

I don't know why that's depressing. Before relegation we have been in the same league as Carlisle, Rotherham, Scunthorpe and many more. It's not that long ago that the mighty Man City only just scraped a play off victory against Gillingham. It is where we deserve to be I'm afraid.

The Man City made mighty by the billions of an oil tycoon. We'll be lucky to have the pennies of a Finnish American woman whose name is the biggest contradiction in human history.

Grendel

The Man City made mighty by the billions of an oil tycoon. We'll be lucky to have the pennies of a Finnish American woman whose name is the biggest contradiction in human history.

But they didn't even have the "good guy to play golf with" when they beat Gillingham.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

I always thought the latter award went to the Mutsubishi Carisma. A less charasmatic vehicle one couldnt possibly think of. Apologies to any readers who have such a vehicle - but honestly, you should have tried a bit harder at school

ccfcway

The countdown is on.

17 days to go for them to survive

Trevor Birch today held a meeting and served notice on Portsmouth FC players and staff telling them that the club will fold on Friday, August 10th unless senior players accept compromise deals.

Speaking in an interview with ESPN, the administrator stated that he hoped the announcement would "focus people's mind" with the club now just 17 days away from going bust.

ccfcway

looks like the fans really do think its over...

...............................................................................................................................

Although I have previously stated that I believe Pompey will pull through this problem, this latest announcement has made the situation far more "real" - for lack of a better term.

If there is one sentence that makes me think this really is the end of our club, this is it:

"If the new owner does not take over the liabilities and guarantee £10 million of football creditors then the Football League will not transfer its share and the club will go under."

Who on earth is going to do that!? Can £10 million even be "guaranteed" to be paid given the club's history? Is Balram Chainrai willing to "save the club" when his own dividends have been slashed? It all seems too unrealistic.

As much as I want to see this club survive, I believe we should all be bracing ourselves for the worst to happen.
......................................................................................

ccfcway

oh, and Appletion speaking after a 4-0 drubbing in Spain said he is "hopefully of 15 or so signings before kick off"

skyblueinBaku

oh, and Appletion speaking after a 4-0 drubbing in Spain said he is "hopefully of 15 or so signings before kick off"

Appleton obviously lives in some sort of parallel universe.

BenInTurin

Facebook User
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18977953

Portsmouth face closure threat say administrators

Portsmouth are likely to have "no alternative" but to close on 10 August unless senior players agree to transfers or wage cuts.
Joint administrator Trevor Birch said: "The facts are straightforward: the players have to leave and conclude compromise settlements."
The club, who have seven senior players left on their books, are due to start their League One campaign on 18 August.

ccfcway

Ben Haim wouldnt even entertain the fans letter, so it really does look like to fat lady is singing

mark82

Who knows. Don't want to see them go bust. Do want them to have to play their youth team and not sign 15 players like Appleton is talking of. Different fucking planet that guy.

ccfcway

one or two of them, Lawrance, Halford etc may walk away to help save the club

Their main 2 problems are Kanu and ben Haim, which ammounts to approx 65k a week, over 3 million a year !

Users who are viewing this thread