Portsmouth- what on earth (5 Viewers)

ccfcway

shame we dont play them 1st game of the season isnt it

Brighton Sky Blue

you can see it will be the mifsud situation all over again played out of position then gets pissed off leading to another unhappy player

It's so frustrating yet most City managers down the years have been guilty of it. Playing centre halves as full backs is another favourite.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
It's so frustrating yet most City managers down the years have been guilty of it. Playing centre halves as full backs is another favourite.

I seem to remember Dion Dublin being used as a defender a couple of times as well. Bloody good he was too!

Astute

The prospect of facing that game with a team of kids and triallists is the worst-case scenario. "I don't want it to turn into a farce," Appleton said. Can you imagine a team having to play their kids because they could not afford senior professionals? :eek:

At least it will be Appleton's fault if they go down. Ask some on here and they will tell you so. Not having enough players and bringing in kids all in one go is no excuse.

Astute

I seem to remember Dion Dublin being used as a defender a couple of times as well. Bloody good he was too!

Fantastic defender for us. Nobody or nothing got past him. I remember one game him playing in defence then going up for a corner and scoring. So strong in the air. Easily in my top 5 all time players for CCFC. Would be considered to be top. We were so lucky to have a player as good as him and for so long.

Grendel

At least it will be Appleton's fault if they go down. Ask some on here and they will tell you so. Not having enough players and bringing in kids all in one go is no excuse.

Slightly different - they seem to have 3 permanent players with league experience - I cannot see how they can start the season.

Astute

Emergency loans. The F.A. will bend the rules for them again.

Grendel

We should end this thread with a poll who would you rather be Pompey or Coventry.

There appears to be envy here I don't get. Who would want to be them.

Sky Blues

There appears to be envy here I don't get. Who would want to be them.

To my mind this thread has not been about envy but astonishment at the things Pompey have tried to get away with. I don't think anyone here would want to be Pompey over Cov, but they would like Pompey to play by the same rules. E.G. If you can only afford to play kids, only play kids.

Colonel Mustard

To my mind this thread has not been about envy but astonishment at the things Pompey have tried to get away with. I don't think anyone here would want to be Pompey over Cov, but they would like Pompey to play by the same rules. E.G. If you can only afford to play kids, only play kids.

Pompey is merely a symptom of a greater problem; it'd be a mistake to single them out. Football needs much greater, firmer regulation. I remember the former league chief, Brian Mawhinney, once saying that chairmen of clubs begged him to tighten the rules of the game because they could not trust themselves with their clubs' finances.

dadgad

It's been good to see British crowds getting genuinely thrilled by marginal sports. It makes the cynical, posturing world of football and in particular the Premier League appear like a crock o shit - which it is.

Astute

Pompey is merely a symptom of a greater problem; it'd be a mistake to single them out. Football needs much greater, firmer regulation. I remember the former league chief, Brian Mawhinney, once saying that chairmen of clubs begged him to tighten the rules of the game because they could not trust themselves with their clubs' finances.

And all the fault of AT.

Oooops wrong thread

Grendel

Sky Blues

Pompey should know more than most the consequences of not sticking to their finances, but they keep over spending and someone moans "you should have stopped us". Why can't they take responsibility for their own downfall? But yes, I agree, the game as it stands is something of a festering cess pit. I think FFP maybe beginning to help drain that a bit, in the lower leagues at least, but a case could be made for more regulation if that fails.

ccfcway

who would you rather be Pompey or Coventry..

lets see....

a club which is in turmoil, looks like they will do nothing at all this season due to an infrerior squad, they dont own their ground and a manger who doesnt have a clue.

or pompy

:thinking about:

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
lets see....

a club which is in turmoil, looks like they will do nothing at all this season due to an infrerior squad, they dont own their ground and a manger who doesnt have a clue.

or pompy

:thinking about:

City every time! Fook the Scummers!

chiefdave

latest is that the council are considering loaning the supporters trust a few million to help them buy the club. while I like the idea of supporters owning their own club I'm not sure the council should be getting involved. it's one thing to have the sort of arrangement we have where the council paid for and own a stadium but just handing out money for someone to buy the club, seems very wrong to me. Not sure I want my councill tax going to them.

I'mARealWizard

latest is that the council are considering loaning the supporters trust a few million to help them buy the club. while I like the idea of supporters owning their own club I'm not sure the council should be getting involved. it's one thing to have the sort of arrangement we have where the council paid for and own a stadium but just handing out money for someone to buy the club, seems very wrong to me. Not sure I want my councill tax going to them.

...and so the council begin to act in a reckless manner mirroring the club.

It must be the mind set down in Plymouth to throw good money after bad.

ccfcway

Portsmouth 3 Bolton Wanderers 0

Pompey's upturn in pre-season form continued with an easy 3-0 win over Championship side Bolton Wanderers.
Keiron Djlali opened the scoring after just six minutes after tapping in Izale McLeod's cut back and then Liam Lawrence doubled the score with a sublime free kick on twelve minutes.
A dominant Pompey could have had a third if Matt Mills hadn't been on the line to clear Brian Howard's effort but wen into the break comfortable.
The second half continued much in the same way and the hosts had a third as Lawrence supplied a cross for substitute Ashley Harris who produced a powerful diving header that Adam Bogdan could do nothing about.
The 4,193 fans that bothered to turn up would have left Fratton Park very pleased with such a performance. We'll now be hoping that the Football League will grant Michael Appleton permission to sign some of these players permanently sharpish before other clubs swoop in for them.
There has also been rumours from the grapevine that Lawrence, who performed so well today, is prepared to take a pay cut in return for an extended contract so he can stay at Pompey.
He would surely be an asset in League One but I still expect him to leave along with Ben-Haim before Friday's liquidation deadline.
Fans can be confident that Portsmouth Football Club will still exist as the start of the season draws near. Let's hope for more good news before Wednesday's friendly at Wimbledon.

ccfcway

Well, looks like they have 48 hours to sort something out !

Portsmouth administrator Trevor Birch told ESPN on Saturday night that Tal Ben Haim has the club's future in his hands and that he must reach agreement over his contract by Tuesday or the club faces closure.

On the day when a team of trialists put in a brilliant performance to beat Bolton Wanderers 3-0 at Fratton Park in front of 4,500 fans, Birch suggested the club's hopes of starting the new League One season are no better than "50-50".

ccfcway

WELL, it looks like today is the day, and its already kicking off.... Ben Haim has gone first this morning !!

Tal Ben Haim’s statement in full

Published on Tuesday 7 August 2012 06:00

Having read the theatrical media reports circulating around Portsmouth recently, I feel that it is only right that I say a few words regarding my position with the club.

I signed a four-year contract with Portsmouth in 2009. Since then, because of the club’s failure to manage its finances on no less than two occasions, I have personally lost a figure in excess of £2m. I currently have approximately one year left on my contract.

I want this club to survive and I will do everything possible to enable this historic club to continue to play football in the Football League. But you must understand the position of the professional football players.

Since February 2012, when PKF were appointed, the only thing we have heard is that it is more likely than not that they are going to have to liquidate the club.

This approach has destroyed the team spirit and led to the club being relegated from a position and with a squad everybody expected to stay in the Championship. Also, this talk of liquidation has done nothing but destroy any interest from any other party, other than Mr Chainrai, to buy the club. What a ridiculous position.

As far as the latest position, I can reveal that only recently have the administrators decided to talk to the players regarding their positions.

Most of the negotiations were done through the media. When they actually sat and talked to us through the manager, the majority of the players moved quickly to do what was best for the club and themselves.

As far as I’m concerned, an offer has been made to me only recently. I have offered to waive a further £1.5m of my current contract. They now tell me this is not good enough. The fact is that we are only about £300,000 apart in negotiations. If they want to liquidate the club for that money while they still charge their huge fees then all I can say that the blood is very much on their hands.

Users who are viewing this thread